a lot's happened since you were away

Finding Meaning ~ a JaySica short story~HIATUS

 

Alright. Alright. Alright. Let me try to figure this out again. First, Jessica’s the only one who can see me. Second, I keep going through things somehow. And it seems like I’m a ghost.” Jay recounted to himself, as he sat on one of the twin beds.
He had found a clean white t-shirt that had fit him inside one of the closets. It looked like one of WooYoung’s shirts, but he wasn’t going to get into that.

“Ghost. I’m a ghost. Oh am I dead?!” He exclaimed suddenly. Getting up from the bed suddenly, he ran his hands through his hair in disbelief.

He started pacing around the room, until he abruptly stopped. “Hold up. I might not be dead. I could be in a coma or something. But why am I here?” He thought, still confused as ever.

The door to the room opened slowly, and he glanced over as Jessica walked inside. Her steps were careful, as if she still wasn’t sure what she was seeing.

He sat down on the bed again, as she sat next to him, leaving some space between them.

“Okay. So I just told the girls that I probably should rest since they think I’m crazy. So they’re all out to give me some quiet time.” She explained.

He nodded at this. “You’re not crazy. Because I know for a fact I’m here.” He pointed out.

She shrugged at this. “Yeah. But are you, really here. And why are you here?” She asked him.

Jay sighed at this, at a loss for words. “I really don’t know. I remember I was in a car accident and then the next thing I know I’m here.” He explained.

She gasped at this. “You were in a car accident?! So you might be dead?” She exclaimed, looking aghast.

He nodded again, placing a hand over his eyes. “I’m kinda hoping I’m not though. Cause I might just be in a coma and my spirit, me right here, is just roaming around” He explained.

Jessica just stared at him. And then she tried to poke him, but her hand just went through his shoulder as her eyes widened.

“I’m still getting used to that myself.” He said a bit dryly. She nodded in sympathy, withdrawing her hand.

“So we only know that you might be dead or in a coma. You’re for sure not in human form right now, and you don’t know why you’re here” She recounted back to him.

He sighed again, flopping back down on the bed. “Eesh. Come on Jay you need to help me out here” She told him, since she couldn’t try to pull him up from the bed anyway.

He sat back up, and then a smirk formed on his face, alarming her.

“What?” She said slowly, worried by the sudden change in his behavior.

He got up from the bed, and stood in front of her.

“If I’m dead then I’m dead. If I’m in a coma, then that’d be better. But either way I can still “live” in a way right now can’t I?” He told her.

“Um. I guess, but what about the whole going through things problem?” She pointed out.

He sat back down on the bed, and then stood up. “I can still sit.” He told her. And then picked up one of the small pillows. “I can pick up things.”

She reached out with her pointer finger, as he did the same, as the tips of their fingers went past each other.

“But you can’t touch humans.” She stated. He looked glumly at this, but still tried to pick her up, but to no avail.

“Damn. Okay. Guess I can’t do anything about that right now. Maybe I could go track down where my body is, so I’ll know whether I’m still alive” He suggested.

She nodded slowly. “But all the way in Los Angeles?” She asked him.

He nodded. “California. Home of the cactuses” He stated. She raised an eyebrow at this.

“Or Golden Gate Bridge. In San Francisco anyway. But are you going to walk? Or..?” She asked

“I’ll just go to the airport since no one else can see me and wait for the next flight back.” He told her.

“Oh okay. I still think there might be a reason your spirit wandered here though. It’s like in one of those sci-fi movies.” She explained.

Jay thought about this. “Maybe. So I guess I shouldn’t go right away. But I guess I can’t stay here cause that’d be kinda awkward right?” He told her.

She nodded. “Maybe..” She started to say, looking hesitant.

“Maybe what?” He asked.

“Um. You could stay at the 2PM dorm?” She suggested.

He blinked at this a few times.

“Jess I know they’re my bros and all, but I just feel like I really let them down you know? Even if they won’t know I’m there it feels a bit off you know?” He explained.

She sighed. “I know but maybe this is your chance to secretly do nice things for them. Help them somehow. Or maybe just tell them how you miss them.” She advised.

He looked a bit hesitant at this, but slowly nodded. “Alright. I guess” He said.

“I can’t believe I’m still standing. I can’t believe cloud nine’s landing.”~ Jessica’s cellphone rang, as she smiled sheepishly at the ring tone.

Jay was surprised that she had one of his songs as her ringtone as well.

“Hello? Oh hey oppa. Um. Sure I guess. Okay I’ll be there soon. Bye” She said, and hung up.

She turned back around to Jay. “I’m going to the movies with Taecyeon oppa but I’ll be back in about an hour” She explained.

Jay was surprised that it was Taecyeon she was talking to.

“Oh. Are you..are you guys..dating?” He asked. Jessica quickly shook her head.

“No. I..it’s just well Yoona doesn’t seem to return his feelings. And so he recently asked me to hang out now and then. So I felt a little bad.” She explained.

Jay nodded. “Well you might give him the wrong impression so you might want to let him now what you really think if you don’t mind me saying” He told her.

She nodded, and placed her cellphone in her bag.

“Thanks. I’ll think about it.” She told him and left the room.

 

_________________________________________

Isabel Santos Copyright 2012.

All rights reserved.