Chapter 1

Good Things Happen to Those Who Wait

 

"Ugh! Where is it?! I'm gonna be late!" Chanhee groaned as he went through his things on the table, looking for his pair of earpieces. As he pushed his stack of books to the side, a photo framed crashed to the floor.

 

He knelt down, taking care not to cut himself. Carefully, he took the photo out of the frame, immediately looking at the red-headed girl on his left in the photo. He flipped the photo so he could read what was written at the back.

 

"To my dearest Chanhee,

When I wake up, I probably will not remember anything, even you. Or I may not even wake up at all. But I have some things to tell you.

 

Thanks for everything you've given me during this short period of time. Love, time, attention and all that I have never received from anyone before. Thank you for being a part of my life. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to give you as much you gave me. Please forgive me for that. I hope that you would forget about me as well, and go on to find someone better.

 

You have been the best part of my life, and I love you.

 

Loving you now and always,

Eunhee"

 

Tears welled up in Chanhee’s eyes as he remembers the last night spent with her, the one that meant so much to the both of them but she had not any way of remembering it. They were seventeen then, yet so in love. So much time has passed by yet that memory was crystal clear to him.

 

“The stars are beautiful, aren’t they?” Chanhee asked, as the couple laid on the hood of the car, parked at the beach. Eunhee said nothing but interlocked her fingers with Chanhee’s, and placed her head on his shoulder.

 

“Look at that one!” She exclaimed excitedly, pointing to the brightest star. “It’s so beautiful!”

 

“Mmhmm… Just like you, you shine the brightest in my nightsky.” Chanhee whispered to her, his thumb drawing small circles on her hand.

 

Eunhee chuckled, “You’re so cheesy!”

 

“No, I’m romantic~” Just then, a shooting star flew across the sky, “Quick! Make a wish!” He told his girlfriend.

 

“What did you wish for?” Eunhee asked, breaking the silence after one minute.

 

“Babe, didn’t you know that wishes wouldn’t come through if you told someone else?” Chanhee teased as his girlfriend pouted. “Just kidding! I’ll tell you after your surgery okay? I promise!”

 

Eunhee hooked her pinky with Chanhee’s and whispered softly, “I’ll hold you to that.”

 

They left the beach at 11PM, and the drive back to the hospital was a quiet one. Both of them were immersed in their own thoughts. Chanhee accompany his girlfriend back to her ward. The day they were both waiting for, was finally coming. They dreaded it, not knowing how the day would turn out to be.

 

“Can you stay until I fall asleep?” Eunhee asked, wanting to spend more time with her boyfriend.

 

“Sure,” He knew he could not deny her anything, never. He sat down on the chair next to the bed and held her hand. Then silence set in. For 15 minutes, no one spoke.

 

“Chanhee?” Eunhee called out.

 

“Hmm?” Eunhee smiled and closed her eyes when she heard his reply. “Babe? What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing, it’s just nice to hear you reply when I call you.” She smiled again. This time, earning a smile from him.

 

“Silly girl, I’ll always you reply no matter what.” Chanhee chuckled. “It’s late, you should get some sleep.”

 

Eunhee looked at him and nodded, “Can you sing to me?”

 

Chanhee blinked back tears and started to sing her favourite song. When he finished, he saw that his girlfriend was fast asleep. “Goodnight, my star.” He placed a light kiss on her forehead before switching off the lights and leaving the room.

 

Chanhee’s phone rang, bringing him back to the present. He looked at the caller ID – “Byunghun”, and decided to not answer the call. He glanced back at the photo and wondered what happened to Eunhee. He never showed up on the day of her surgery, too afraid of the results. Whether or not she was still living, he had no idea. But, he was still waiting for her to show up someday. He would wait forever, if that was what it took.

 

Wiping away his tears, he stood up and placed the photo carefully on his table. As he reached for the broom to clear up the glass shards, the doorbell rang. Must be the guys, he thought. “Coming!” He put down the cleaning equipment in his hand and half-jogged to the door.

 

“I’m not go– “ He stopped mid-sentence, his eyes widened in shock as he looked at his visitor. Eunhee.

 

“You still have not told me what you wished for,” She said, tears b in her eyes, as she had finally found him after all these years.

 

Chanhee’s wait was over.