A Daze

Whisper My Serenade (**HIATUS)

“Whoever gets to the car last is paying for lunch, later!” Jonghyun had exclaimed as the two left the studio after being called to finalize their vocals. Challenge accepted.

People often said that when Choi Minho was within a competition, the look in his eyes changed, and he became a different person in the heat of the contest. Each and every word was true. Upon the shout to start, he took off down the hall at top speed. Cockily, he thought, ‘what is he thinking, challenging me like this?

After the first sprint, he turned his head around to see just how far behind Jonghyun was behind him, only to see that he was keeping up quite nicely, and if Minho didn’t speed up soon, there was a chance Jonghyun could and would catch up. Usually, there were very few people roaming the halls at this hour, the most traffic being lunchtime and evening, when people were sent home. Even as they sped down the corridors, there was not another soul in sight. But suddenly, as he skidded and charged the turn at the corner, he slammed into someone with such force that he’d tripped over them and fell as well, his jaw taking the most of the hit.

“Are you okay?!” Jonghyun shouted as he came to a halt, looking between Minho and the girl he had knocked over. Meanwhile Minho rose from his knees and squinted his eyes as he grasped his chin, clenching teeth in pain. Suddenly, Jonghyun’s tone shifted from concern to complete alarm. “Oh... oh my god... Minho, she isn’t moving!”

Minho whipped around to the person he’d hit, eyes widening upon seeing that she was, indeed, not moving at all. She was unconscious. Because of him. He just knocked someone out. Oh god. Oh... oh god. What was he supposed to do in the scenario? Call 119? Get help? Jonghyun was already on this, pacing nervously as he talked to the operator on the other line.

As he heard Jonghyun’s shaky voice explain the scenario, he knelt beside the girl, nudging the back of her head lightly to check for blood. A clean hit. That was good, right? Or did that just mean it was all internal?
Jonghyun held the phone against his shoulder, nudging Minho for attention. “Check for a wallet or something so we can find out who she is.” Minho quickly began patting for said wallet or something for identification, just to come up empty.

“She doesn’t have anything.” he sighed in frustration, falling back on his rear. As the clock ticked. What if she was seriously injured? She was going to be okay, right? It was with great speed that the paramedics arrived into the building, drawing attention to the building. A crowd began to gather as the medics lifted the girl onto the stretcher, many whispers filling the tense air. The two were pushed away from the scene despite being part of it, only able to watch as they hauled the girl out and the audience dispersed.

 

 


She was swaying. Was she floating? No, that couldn’t be it. But she was moving.

Lily felt a pounding in the back of her skull and a deafening ringing in her ears. She squinted her eyes at the light above her, catching sight of someone standing over her, saying things she couldn’t quite understand. It was like a heavy cloud was engulfing her head, not allowing her to think, see, or even hear straight. The person sounded calm, but criticizing, asking her more and more questions she couldn’t make out nor even begin to answer. She lifted her arm, reaching for , waiting to feel the prickly surface of bandage. No, there was no such thing. Just bare, smooth skin, save for the familiar place where it dipped into the scar.

The person was beginning to make more sense as they rattled on. “Do you remember anything? What is your name, dear? What is your name?”

My name is Lily.’ she wanted to say, but she knew better than to try. If this dream was in any way accurate to memory, she would open to ask what was going on, only for the paramedic to hush her, saying that she shouldn’t attempt speech in her current condition. If she was in critical condition, then why were they asking her questions in the first place? If they felt the need, despite this, why not ask if she was okay, or if she could still nod and shake her head in response?

If she could still breathe.

The movement suddenly stopped, and she felt herself being lifted again. No, this wasn’t a dream. This was real, this was far too vivid. Not even a dream could conjure the little details she sensed- the coughing of the person behind her, the way their shoes disturbed the gravel beneath the soles. But the question still hanging in her head, despite getting a better grasp of her surroundings, ‘What happened to me?

She was tired. So tired.

 



It felt like just a blink, but suddenly she was no longer being lifted, but underneath thin white sheets, someone humming softly beside her. Opening her eyes and tilting her head to the right, she caught sight of the single person she wanted to see. Rose.

“You’re finally awake!” she chirped. “Did we go to Disneyworld or Disneyland when we were kids?”

Lily blinked. What a strange question. Obviously Disneyland. Rose must’ve understood the baffled response, because suddenly she was ecstatic.

“You do remember! Lily-ah! You’re okay!”

Lily didn’t understand what she was saying. Of course she still remembered; it’s not like she had dementia. What was her sister getting all worked up about?

“The doctor said that it is natural for you to feel confused and dazed. You got a concussion this morning, and you’ve been out all day. I’m supposed to call when you wake up, so are you ready for a quick check-up?” Rose asked. No answer was required. Rose hit the button on some device at her bedside. “She’s awake. I tested her a little and she seems to remember fine.”

“Thank you, we are sending the doctor up now.”

Rose sighed and looked back to her. “You suddenly disappeared from the bench, and I had no idea where you went, until my boss told me that you were in the hospital! They found you from the records in Incheon...”

Lily reached her hand out, making the motion of writing with a pen. Rose nodded, and bent over to search her bag, procuring a small notepad and a pencil. She wrote slowly, her focus seemingly nonexistent as she had to stop and rewrite a couple times before managing the message. ‘Does Mom know I’m here?

Rose shook her head. “I don’t know if they contacted her before they called me. She hasn’t called screaming or anything, so I’ll assume she doesn’t know.”

Lily picked up her pencil. ‘I can’t think worth .

The door to the room opened, and in came the mentioned doctor. His name-tag read quite simply in dull print, ‘Park’. He pulled a chair and sat beside Rose. Lily made attempts to sit up straight, but when it felt like the pain rose and fell with her, she fell back again. He cut to the chase. “Miss Janggeok, it appears that you are experiencing a minor concussion. Usually, inability to speak is a concerning symptom, but your sister notified me of your... condition.” he coughed. “Just allow me to do a couple of checks before we sign a release form. Please touch your nose with your right index finger.”

The test sounded easy, but it was like writing an essay while listening to overwhelming heavy metal. But it appeared that she was passing, for he wasn’t taking any notes on the clipboard that he’d brought with him. Next, he shone a light in both of her eyes, seeming satisfied by these results as well.

“The results from the CT scan seem to be positive, and there doesn’t appear to be any bleeding or notable brain damage. You just need to take it very easily for the next week. No work of physical nor mental exertion. For the next forty-eight hours, you need to have someone by your side at all time. Tonight, Rose is going to wake you up in intervals of three to four hours to ask you simple questions to monitor your ability to remember. Now, if you experience any difficulties waking up, long-lasting headaches, or double-vision, contact us immediately and we will have to check for any additional complications.” he bowed and took his leave.

The next words were hardly legible, having been scribbled at breakneck speed in a rush for communication. ‘How did I get a concussion? I don’t remember anything.

“Do you know the group SHINee? Choi Minho was the one who knocked you out. They are paying for all this testing and . Their manager came by, but I think I scared him away. The douche needs to apologize, though if that meant we’d have to pay for the CT Scan, this is okay, I guess...” Rose continued her usual endless stream of chatter, but despite the headache, Lily found some comfort in this familiar aspect.

 

 


They navigated down the halls towards the exit, Rose treating Lily like a toddler and holding her hand with a death-grip. Someone abruptly stopped in front of them, and as Lily tried to brush past, she was yanked back. “Minho! Hi! Um. Hi.”

Lily looked up to see the mentioned douchebag that knocked her out in the first place, surprised that every ounce of frustration Rose had worked up had vanished upon sight of the idol. She could only look at him, not bothering to take out her notebook and write a message. If only she had telepathy and could curse this guy out. In English. Even if he may not have a single idea of what cruel words she was saying.

He bowed. “I’m so sorry for causing this. I hope you can forgive me.”

Her eyes widened. Such a formal apology was not expected. She looked to Rose for guidance, but her sister was too starstruck and nervous and was holding her hand so tight that she was certain it would fall off. So, she did what she usually did when she was in a tough situation: she began to haul .

But unfortunately, he was persistent. “Hey, why are you ignoring me?”

She turned back again, looked at him for a few seconds, then made to leave again.

Rose pulled her back and translated, though this itself hardly managed to make sense. “No, no, no... Lily... ah... she forgives you! It’s okay! She’s just... kind of... angry... I think... Lily, are you angry? Hahaha...”

“Wait.” he said, shuffling through his pockets. He pulled out a sheet of paper with what appeared to be a phone number. “Call me if you need anything. I’m really sorry. Honestly.”

Lily frowned as he held the slip to her, looking over him once more. There was no question that he was attractive, but she was trying to look harder to see if there was anything else she could draw. In his other hand, he was carrying a ball-cap and sunglasses. He must’ve had to hide his face on the way here. Speaking of his face, his lips were shaped into a childish pout, and whether or not he was aware of this, she had not the slightest idea. But, for the slightest moment, she felt completely enslaved...

She felt herself sway; her heart accepted the number without her brain’s permission.

But catching herself, she halted the ridiculous swooning, and pulled at Rose’s hand. A slight bow, and they were gone.

 

 


She must be pissed. So pissed that she wouldn’t even talk to him.

Minho was sorry, that was genuine, but he felt so discouraged by the girl’s reaction to seeing him. She must only view him as a rich guy who uses money to make everything better. But after he’d offered her his number, she’d softened just long enough to accept it, before switching back into defense.

He wasn’t sure why he would give her his number like that, knowing that if they needed any help in the first place, he had given Rose his information regarding the payment. But there was something different about personally offering your cellphone number, not your manager’s.

After all, maybe she will call.