Chapter Four- "1988"

The journey to Love

 

Note I feel this chapter is a bit of of character... I've played with it a lot and I still don't feel happy with it...

Anyway please enjoy it! And I promise the fluffiness will stop soon! xx 

 

One year later-1988

 

A small girl waits outside Hyori’s house, her hair was tied in a high ponytail, she wore a white and red stripy top with a red pinafore on top. The girl peers out looking down the street expectantly, at the end of the street she sees two figures and she runs out towards them.

Girl: Oppaa!

Jong Kook: Dara! What’s wrong?

Dara grabs Jong Kook’s hand and start pulling him as fast as she can towards the house, her eyes blinking at Jong Kook she calls

Dara: Its Hyori, she won’t come out her room she’s looked the door and everything…

Jong Kook: what! Why?

Dara unexpectedly blushes red and starts running back towards the house

Dara: You’ll see when we get there! Just hurry up Oppa!

Jong Kook let go of her hand and easily overtakes Dara’s small legs and runs into the house.

As soon as he passed the front gate he could hear Hyori’s mother’s shouts

Mother: HYORI! GET OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!

Jong Kook ran into the house, throwing off his shoes and makes the well known journey round the house to Hyori’s room.

Jong Kook: Omoni!

Mother: Ah Jong Kook! I think you better get to school

Jong Kook: Omoni!

Mother: Come on, quickly or you’ll miss the bus

Jong Kook: Ajumma, please just let me try, I’m early this morning we still have a good twenty minutes before the bus leaves.

Mother: Oh, go on then, but I doubt you of all people will get her out…

Chunhee and Dara finally caught up with Jong Kook and stood panting behind Mrs Lee.  

Mother: Chunhee can you please take Dara to the bus stop?

Chunhee: Ajum-

Jong Kook: Chunhee, I’ll catch up with you! Go quickly.

Mrs Lee smiled and turned chivvying the younger children out of the house. Jong Kook walked slowly up to the door and knocked quietly as soon as everyone was gone.

Jong Kook: (softly Jong kook begins knocking) Hyori? Can I come in?

Jong Kook heard a small movement but there was no reply. Inside the room, Hyori was lying face down on the bed with her duvet covering her head. When she heard Jong Kook speak she nearly fell out of the bed.

Jong Kook: Come on Hyori, it’s me! Jong Kook, you’re best friend! (begins knocking harder)

Hyori: Go away

Hyori grabbed she hadn’t meant to say anything.

Jong Kook: Hyori! What’s wrong why are you being like this? (Jong Kook begins heavily knocking on the door) Come on Hyori I know you’re in there!

Hyori sits up in her bed and looks at the door in horror, dust was flying down from above the door and the door was bending.

Hyori: Ya Jong Kook, if you continue, you’re gunna break the door down!

Jong Kook: Then let me in!

Mrs Lee: HYORI! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE!? IF YOU DO NOT STOP THIS -

Hyori, runs off the bed and lets Jong Kook in. shutting the door again quickly and relocking it. Hyori then jumps back into the bed and covers her whole body with the duvet.

Mrs Lee: GOOD! AND KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Jong Kook looks around the room, he had only been in here once or twice before, they often played in the garden. He knew where her room was and often had to collect her from it, but he rarely got the chance to look around, On the walls there hand drawn pictures obviously starting from when she was a very young age. In the early ones there were always three people. Him, Hyori and Chunhee, after a while Dara joined them in a couple. In the most recent one even his little baby brother Daesung was included, Jong Kook laughed and looked towards Hyori, next to the bed was a picture of Hyori and him. Hyori was holding and empty ice cream cone and looked on the edge of tears while Jong Kook was laughing at her. He finally turned from this to the body covered by duvet.

Jong Kook: YA! You know I’m not good at this sort of stuff! Just tell me what’s wrong Hyori!

Hyori rolled over so that she now had her duvet covered back faced Jong Kook and started fidgeting

Jong Kook: Come one Hyori, I don’t want to be late for my last day of school!

Hyori froze under the duvet.

Jong Kook: Hyori? What’s wrong, all I said was that- (Realisation dawns on Jong Kooks face) is this because it’s my last day at school…

Hyori pulls the blanket off her head and sits straight up

Hyori: No! Oppa, you’re too big headed…

Jong Kook: Ok then tell me what it’s about!

Hyori doesn’t say anything, suddenly finding her bedroom window to be very interesting.

Jong Kook: It’s only until you grow up enough to join me at middle school

Hyori: Oppa, by the time I am old enough to go to middle school, you will already only have one year left.

Jong Kook sighed, he hadn’t even realised that this was affecting Hyori as much as it was affecting him. He had today, the holidays and then he was gone to a middle school which was in the opposite direction to his old elementary. He looked at his clock they had five minutes, Hyori was fully dressed. So therefore as long as she was ready, if they ran they could still make it.

Jong Kook: Hyori-ah! Come on, if this is the last day of school we have together for two whole years, let’s make it a good day.

Hyori looked at Jong Kook and smiled, knowing that she had lost her battle; she climbed out of bed and put on her socks. She and Jong Kook walked quickly to the door and put on their shoes.

Hyori: Mum, bye!

 Jong Kook grabbed Hyori’s hand, Hyori tried to pull away making a disgusted face.

Jong Kook: Ya Hyori, you better stop fighting with me and start running!

He smiled at her broadly and without any notice broke out into a run. Hyori’s face turned from disgust to shock to joy, as she tried to keep up with Jong Kook keeping her hand tight. They reached the bus just in time as both Chunhee and Dara were in a heavy argument with the driver. As normal Jong Kook pushed Hyori up the stairs. Muttering a sheepish apology at the bus driver Hyori followed Chunhee and Dara down the bus to their usual seats. Sliding into the empty seat behind them, Hyori watched Jong Kook walk up the bus behind them. Hyori turned away as Jong Kook passed Chunhee, expecting him to go the back of the bus where his friends where all calling out to him. But the cries didn’t stop and Hyori felt someone brushing against her coat

Jong Kook: YA! Are you going to make me wait in the aisle forever? Move up

Hyori turned to see Jong Kook looking at her expectantly. Her draw dropped and she just stared. Sighing Jong Kook pushed her along the seat and clambered in next to her.

Hyori: But!?

Jong Kook: But what?

Hyori: Your friends?

Jong Kook: They’ll see me at school

Hyori: But you always sit with them!

Jong Kook: Sorry, I thought you wanted me to sit here! I’ll move

Jong Kook began to slide off the seat but Hyori grabs his arm.

Hyori: Oppa! It’s not that I don’t want you here it’s just I don’t understand why, I mean you never normally sit here!

Jong Kook: That’s because I thought an older kid would crap cramp your style!

Hyori: Don’t lie; I know you chose to not sit with me because younger kids aren’t cool!

Jong Kook: Oh good, you already understand!

Hyori hits Jong Kook on the arm playfully, happy that he chose to sit with them. Dara and Chunhee turn around properly in their seats and the four start one of their usual conversations. Hyori laughs at one of Chunhee’s jokes and continues to poke fun with Dara, Jong Kook zones out of the conversation watching Hyori’s face, something he had been doing for the last two years from the back of the bus. He loved being able to watch her smile, because even though he would never admit it, Hyori really was quite pretty.