Kim Jonghyun

Illusions and Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Kim Jonghyun   I sigh in relief, as I placed the last delicacy on the refrigerator. I smile widely. Ear to ear. The wind chime dinged. It means another customer. I spun around and greeted. “Good morning. Welcome to....” I stopped. Somehow, I suddenly felt my tongue retreated.

He smiled at me. He looked more handsome every time I would see him. My heart started to pound uncontrollably. I wanted to clutch my chest to let it stopped. Instead I gripped my hands. I tried my best to stay calm and cool.

“Hey...” he said laughing.

“Hi...” I greeted him formally. I went outside the counter and bow at him.

“How are you?”

“I'm fine.” I wanted to ask him. But somewhat I already knew the answer. He's not okay.

“So how was she?” He asked. As usual, I got hurt. However this time, it's only teeny weenie-bit pain. Because I believe this is not the end of this conversation.

“Good. She kept her self busy over the past month.” I replied honestly.

“I see.” He nodded twice. “Do you think she misses me?” I exhaled quietly. My hand was trembling. He was smiling shyly and scratched the back of his head.

“Of course she does.... It's been a while since you guys last talked.”

He held both of my hands. I smiled and pursed my lips. One thing I've always dreamt of. “I miss this place and your company.”

For a second or two, I forgot to breathe. My eyes got widened. My heart was beating very fast. I wanted to answer his statement. I wanted to say, ‘I miss you too.’
  But... I can’t...

Kim Jonghyun... Is my older sister's boyfriend.

And I can see it in his eyes that he wanted to say, ‘I miss her more.’
____________________________________________________________________________________

I can still recall the first time I met him. It was two years ago. Same place.

I was eighteen back then. He was 22. Four years older. Same age as Sun Hee. I did not go to college. Because I believe, I'm skipping steps. Cooking is my passion. After I finished my high school, I immediately worked at our small cafe.

The choice was not a regret. It was a favor. A dream came true.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I gaped upward. I look up at the wall clock; it's already 5 in the afternoon. Still... he's not around.

Sometimes, I tagged myself as a stalker ever since I met him. It's been a month since he regularly go and eat here by afternoon. To be honest I don’t know his name. But his physical appearance gives me the good vibe that he is a good person. After 30 days of watching him from the distance, I'm not afraid to admit. I got infatuated by him.

He's not that tall. He has these chinky eyes. Great smile. He looks nice. He looks funny.

I even thought, that maybe he's the one. But that's insane. I heave a sigh and buried my face on the counter. How I wish. He’s the one.

---

The wind chime dinged. “Good aft---” I looked up. I saw him with his big backpack. Three thick books on his hand. Suddenly, my world became silent. My gaze followed him. He sat on his usual spot. My eyes were perfectly and motionless focused on him. Only to him.    He breathes first. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. He shook his head and shifted his stare to me. Our gazes met. I look away. I decided to play busy by wiping some glasses. From my peripheral vision, I saw him walking closer here. I tried to stay as casual. Like nothing happened.

I smiled at him. “Hi... May I get your order, sir?” I asked him. One coffee, no sugar and blueberry cheesecake.

“One coffee, no sugar and blueberry cheesecake.” He said. My shoulders shrugged. I giggle quietly. I guess I really knew him after all. I punch his order over the computer.

I gather my courage and ask, “tough day, huh?”

“Yeah. Exams will start on next week. I must study hard.”

“Oh, I see...” I said innocently. He should really study hard, because he's taking up a medical course. I accidentally saw the cover of his books one time. I flash a wide grin. “Good luck.”

“Thanks... I'll be needing that.”

I blushed. “No problem.”

He tapped his fingers, swaying his head on the left going to the right. “If you don’t mind, there's a question running on my mind right now.”

“What?”

“How come I never seen you, go out of this place? I mean, aren’t you studying?”

“No. This business is run by my parents.” I smiled.

“Oh... I see...” He said syllabically. “I understand... by the way, I'm Kim Jonghyun.” He said and offers his hand in front of me. I feel dizzy. Did I hear him correct? I'm so nervous that I might faint anytime. I grasp on the nearest thing to me. “Are you okay?”

“Huh? Me? Yeah, I'm fine.”

“Are you sure, you're okay?” He said, gesturing with his hand. “Cause your color suddenly change. You look pale.”

“I'm really okay. Thanks for your concern.”

“You're welcome. Just don’t push yourself if you are tired. I'm sure your parents would understand you.... Erm. What's your name again?”

“Byun Su Jeong.”

He nodded. “Su Jeong-ah." He said with a grin, hearing him calling me by that name and finally knowing his name made me more than happy.
_________________________________________________________________________________

My love grows every single day. I have never experienced this before. To be honest, it was a great feeling. But my love for him will only dwell inside of me. As much as I want to shout it to the world, I can’t and I never will.

I don’t want to jeopardize this feeling over a friendship.
__________________________________________________________________________________

“Uwaaa. Su Jeong! I want to taste this.” He said. Pointing his index finger at this caramel cake. I pressed my face on the recipe book he has brought.

We were talking over the counter. There wasn’t any customer. “It looks delicious.”

“Su Jeong!” I shrugged as I heard someone call my name. I was busy reading and studying this new recipe. It was my sister, Sun Hee.

“Unnie.”

“Where is mom and dad?”

“At home.” I answered and blink my eyes. I notice one thing that made me realize that I wasn’t the one. His eyes were fixed on Sun Hee. Everything she do, his sight were focused on her. Sun Hee wiggled h
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter