Chapter 7

AThousand Beautiful Things

Kim Jyung Goon was a young doctor in the Kim Family Hospital. He just completed medical school a few months before and was now taking an internship in the hospital before deciding which specialize course he wanted to take. Pediatric sounds good, he was good with children; but oncology was also interesting. There was something about cancer that fascinated him, and the fact that so many people has died because of it (including his own mother –she died of cancer when he was twelve years old) made him think twice before becoming pediatrician. Nevertheless, his decision to apply for medical school came immediately on 11th grade and he had enjoyed it so far.

 

He was sitting in the night-shift office that night; there wasn’t much emergency going on, only a couple of kid poisoning but overall it was a calm night, bordering to the fact that it was almost…boring.

 

Jyung Goon realized it was an awful thing to say, after all less emergencies meant fewer people got hurt. But as a young doctor, he dreamed of something akin of the adrenalin rush doctors usually felt when they were faced with life-threatening situation. It was nearly 3 A.M and in just a few hours his shift would be over and he could go back into his apartment and sleep in his comfortable queen sized bed. He yawned for the fourth time that night.

 

Suddenly the phone rang. Stifling another yawn that threatened to escape, he picked up the phone and mumbled a greeting.

 

A panicked voice shouted, “We’re ten minutes away!”

 

Jyung Goon frowned, “Come again?”

 

The voice screamed back at him, “Damn it kid! Are you new? Get your boss on the phone!”

 

The young doctor scowled, he hated it when somebody called him a kid, especially strangers who seemed to be out of their mind. With an irritated voice, he snapped back, “Is this a prank? Because I got few kids on food poisoning, nothing life threatening but they still need-“ his words were cut off as two black SUV suddenly appeared, their headlights cut through the night. Tires screeching in protest as they came to a sudden stop and a bunch of black-suited men burst through the emergency wing’s door.

 

“-parameters around the building! I want every door handled by six men each, including those two back doors there and the loading dock! And get some lights out there!” One man barked orders as the others hurried to follow his instructions.

 

Jyung Goon could only stare at the sudden commotion that occurred in the emergency room; these people seemed familiar with the hospital and they didn’t even bother to look at him. Then a senior nurse came –maybe she heard all the noise– and she seemed to understand what was happening as her face immediately turned to panic.

 

The same man yelled again, “Somebody tell Siwon and get Yunho!”

 

Jyung Goon knew the order might not be –definitely not– for him as he didn’t know any Siwon but he certainly recognized his chief’s surgeon name. He bolted and ran immediately, praying that hopefully the surgeon was still in the hospital. Turning in a corner, he felt a slight relief when he saw the lights in Yunho’s office were still on.

 

Yunho was working late, he just finished reviewing a report of the hospital’s weekly patients; particularly the VIPs that were usually more demanding for his attention; when suddenly the door of his office burst opened. He looked up, ready to shout at anyone who dared to interrupt him (it was midnight for heaven’s sake and silence would be much appreciated). But one look at the young doctor who stood panting at the doorway with clear panics written all over his face –what’s his name, Jyung Goon? – had Yunho ran to the emergency room.

 

Sure enough as soon as he stepped into the room, he saw some Kim Family members frantically running around. Few of them were on the phone hysterically screaming orders and few others poured over the hospital’s blueprints map.

 

“What happened?” Yunho asked to one man that seemed to be the highest rank among others.

 

The man looked obviously relieved seeing the surgeon and answered, “Heechul and Hangeng were shot, and they’re five minutes away from here.”

 

Yunho felt cold after hearing that. Heechul and Hangeng were fine when he saw them just this morning, how and by who were they shot? But then his instincts as a doctor kicked in. He looked at the young doctor who still standing nearby and immediately ordered, “Prepare some gurneys here and few rooms at the top floor. Tell Chang Soong I need two OR ready to use now.” Turning to the Family member, he asked again, “Has Siwon and Kangin been informed?”

 

Jyung Goon didn’t stay to hear what the man said in return as he instantly ran to do what Yunho ordered but he heard him replied, “Yes sir, the Don and the Consigliere are on their way as well.”

 

The young doctor nearly stopped in his tracks and froze for a second. He maybe just a simple civilian, but he wasn’t an idiot and he knew those words are terms usually used to describe positions used in Mafia Family. He gulped.

 

When he said the night was boring and he wanted to experience life-threatening situations, he didn’t mean it to turn out this way.

 

 

************************************

 

 

The usual heavy burden as a head of Mafia Family felt much heavier this time, Kangin pondered as he waited in the hospital’s waiting room. He was a smart man, and he knew it was only a matter of time until one of his Family main members got shot, but never in his wildest dream that he expected them to be Heechul and Hangeng of all people.

 

Those two were more than capable to defend themselves and the fact someone managed to shoot them only meant two things: either the attack took them by surprise or –Kangin prayed this wasn’t the case– their enemies had gotten much stronger. So far they had no information on who had attacked them. At Jaejoong’s insistence, Siwon and Kangin were evacuated immediately into the safest place as they obviously were two most important people in the Family. And right now, that place was the Kim Family Hospital. They had sealed every entrances and exits, every door was guarded by at least five members and in just matter of moments the hospital had turned into a small version of modern fortress.

 

It had been three hours since Siwon had woken him in the middle of the night and as much as Kangin wished it, this was not a dream.

 

Yesung was out in the street to find more information but most of them stayed in the hospital, except for Jaejoong who stayed behind with Jungsu at the mansion –who knows, this might be a ruse to kidnap Jungsu again. It might not be the case this time, nevertheless better be prepared than sorry.

 

Currently Heechul and Hangeng were still in surgery and sometimes Kangin wished there were two of Yunho. The man was the best surgeon he had ever known but even Yunho could only do so much at a time. Hangeng was the one who seemed to be in worse condition and Yunho had personally handled his surgery. But this didn’t mean that Heechul’s condition was not dangerous. For all he knew his cousin was just seconds away from death. The man had been shot in the abdomen after all and he had lost a lot of blood. Although they managed to find some from the blood bank but Heechul was still in surgery and until the lights on those two operation rooms turned off Kangin wouldn’t leave this place.

 

He looked at s one by one; they all bore the same expression and he was sure his face did as well: anger, worry, frustration and hopelessness. So many thoughts ran through his mind, what if Heechul and Hangeng don’t survive? Who attacked them? Is the Choi Family behind this? Or maybe even the Lee Family? Have they chosen to get involved in the war after all? His thoughts were interrupted as the door of the waiting room swung open.

 

He glanced up to see the surgeon who handled Heechul’s surgery stood in the doorframe and announced with a smile, “Heechul is going to be fine; you can see him in the recovery room in two hours.”

 

Kangin closed his eyes in relief and took a deep breath, some good news at last. “Thank you doctor, no organ damage?” he asked to reconfirm.

 

The surgeon shook his head, “No, sir. It nearly grazed his intestines a little but he should be alright. The bullet also left a clean exit wound so there will be very minimum, if not no infection either.” He stopped for a moment; an uncomfortable look crossed his face before continuing, “Now for Hangeng’s condition. A bullet collapsed in his lung and it damaged his pulmonary artery, that is uh…an artery that connects between his left and right lungs,” he clarified as he realized he wasn’t talking to fellow doctors and they wouldn’t understand such medical terms.

 

“We are still trying to repair the artery as best as we can without damaging it any further while maintaining his blood pressure, but I need you to know that it is not an easy procedure,” he bit his lip as if reconsidering whether to tell them or not. “There is a high chance that he might not survive even if we manage to repair the artery.”

 

“Can you try lung transplant?” Siwon asked.

 

The surgeon shook his head again, “Even if we can find a donor at this time, it might not be compatible for him. The best thing we can do right now is just to wait.”

 

The Don nodded. “I see. Well, thank you for Heechul’s surgery, doctor. We really appreciate it.”

 

“All in a day’s work, sir,” the surgeon smiled politely, “Although I believe that Hangeng’s surgery will take at least three more hours. We can’t make you comfortable here; and I believe you all are exhausted so you might want to take a rest. We have prepared few rooms for you in the third floor.”

 

Siwon looked around the room before answering, “Thank you doctor, but uh…we would like to stay here and wait, if you don’t mind.”

 

The surgeon quickly replied, “Of course, I understand. Well, if you need anything, some coffee or snacks, just tell the nurse outside.” With one last polite smile, he left the room. Once outside, he took a deep breath and proceeded to go to his office. He needed to change his bloodied uniform, and as he walked, he prayed for the other’s patient. Hopefully Yunho would be able to save him.

 

Silence once again settled in the waiting room. Neither of the members spoke and although they were relieved to know Heechul was going to be fine, there was still Hangeng to be worried about. And Heechul without Hangeng was unthinkable; they both clearly couldn’t survive without the other one.

 

Siwon then offered to get some coffees, and Kangin reminded him to make sure the coffees were taste-tested first. It was very unlikely that the coffees were poisoned, considering they were at the Kim Family Hospital with the utmost securities around, but it would never hurt to be extra prepared. For all they knew, everything was possible and until they caught those who dared to attack them, every precautions was necessary.

 

Five hours later Yunho staggered out of the operation room. He seemed exhausted, but a slight relief look was on his face. “We manage to take the bullet out and repair his lungs as best as we can. He is still unconscious and remains in critical condition.” Yunho took a deep breath, “If he doesn’t regain consciousness within 24 hours, I’m afraid it’s a lost cause.”

 

Kangin nodded. He then grasped the chief surgeon’s shoulder tightly, “Yunho, thank you. I really appreciate what you have done. We are all in your debt.”

 

Yunho shook his head, “Don’t say that. Let’s just hope Hangeng will be alright.”

 

The Don smiled slightly, “He’s strong, I’m sure he’ll be fine. Now, I think you need to go back and get some rest, you have been in that room for almost eight hours, I’m sure you are tired.” Yunho shot him a grateful look and Kangin watched as the surgeon walked towards the exit. Then he turned to his main members and said, “Siwon, I want you to stay here, update me if Heechul or Hangeng awakes. I’ll talk to Yesung and see if we can get an idea who these guys are. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, you guys come with me.”

 

The Consigliere nodded and this time he didn’t even argue for Kangin’s safety like he usually did. He recognized the Don’s tone; the man was beyond livid. He sincerely hoped whoever attacked them knew the consequences of their actions were. One of thing for sure, he didn’t want to be in their shoes when Kangin finally caught them.

 

 

*************************************

 

 

Yesung stared at the six dead bodies lying on the floor of the Kim Family training ground. These bastards were the one who attacked Heechul and Hangeng and they were all dead within three hours since the shooting start. Yesung had to thank Hangeng for his rigorous training on the Family members for that, they definitely did a good job tracking these guys. Too bad all the shooters were dead now; they couldn’t be tortured to extract any kind of information.

 

It had been twelve hours since Hangeng and Heechul were shot, and so far they had no idea who was behind this. Actually, that wasn’t the right sentiment; the correct term would be they had no undeniable proof that could suggest which Family attacked them. Ideas they had, but there were too many enemies out there so it was impossible to be able to pinpoint who.

 

Kangin had briefly visited him one hour ago, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun tailed behind him. They were left with specific instruction: find out whom. After that Kangin soon left to deal with aftermath of the shooting; talking with government to minimize the exposure and the most important thing, making sure that their closest allies still remained as their allies.

 

But so far, none of Yesung, Kyuhyun or Ryeowook had any luck. They couldn’t even identify the bodies, let alone making the connections who they worked for. None of them had anything on that could be used as a clue whatsoever. Of course, Kangin was not happy when he came in and heard the report.

 

“So you’re saying that these shooters don’t have anything on them?”

 

“No sir, no identifications, no driver license, nothing. They are prepared for this, they knew we’re gonna get them,” Yesung clarified.

 

“You mean that they intentionally carry nothing that can remotely identify them?” Kangin narrowed his eyes.

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Well, they are smarter than I thought,” the Don muttered under his breath. Whoever behind this definitely had the brain, they deliberately chose six capable hit-men as martyrs, so to speak. After finishing their job, they were left for the Kim Family to find and killed. Kangin was almost sure that if they didn’t get to these shooters within a specific set of time, they would even commit suicide or something; anything to make sure the Kim Family wouldn’t be able to get to the mastermind.

 

All the more reason why they chose to kill Hangeng and Heechul, then.

 

With no idea on who attacked them, the Kim Family could do nothing. They could get into defensive positions, but how long would it last? Days, months, years? They could try it but sooner or later the defenses would crumble, and the attackers would be free to choose their next victims, most probably all the main members before they finally killed the Don himself.

 

Kangin shook his head, trying to banish these negative thoughts. It would be more appropriate to focus on the matter at hand and identify who attacked them. “What about DNA test?” he asked the trio.

 

Ryeowook shared a worried glance with Yesung. “We’ve taken few samples from each body, but…you’re not going to believe this.”

 

“What?”

 

Ryeowook bit his lip. “They are not in the database.”

 

“…come again?”

 

“Their DNAs are not in the database, sir.”

 

“What the hell-Ryeowook!” the technical analyst cringed hearing his boss’ voice raised at him, “I thought you have compiled all data of every ing human on that database!”

 

“I did!” Ryeowook was beginning to feel upset now. It had taken him nearly ten years to register and compile literally every one living in Seoul into his database. He used every available resources; identification cards, driver licenses, marriage certificates, fingerprints, birth certificates, everything. Hell, he could even pinpoint which babies were born at which hospitals in the last 24 hours and had a record for their DNAs faster than their parents could decide on baby names.

 

“Then how the -“

 

“I don’t know, boss!” he shouted at the Don. Ryeowook then sighed, took a deep breath and sent an apologetic look at Kangin. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell at you. My point is, I don’t know how but I don’t have them in my database while I know for sure that I’ve put every single record of people living at Seoul in it. The only thing I can think of why is that maybe there’s a glitch or something.”

 

Kangin sighed in irritation and turned to look at Kyuhyun. “What about the weapons? What are they using?”

 

“A .22 caliber; smart choice I would say. They are very common with minimum recoil, relatively low noise, easy to handle and can be shoot from quite a distance.”

 

“Any way we can trace that? Where it’s been purchased, those sort of thing?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head, “There are too many of them. I can’t tracked it, for all I know this gun was purchased somewhere from Uganda to Switzerland.”

 

Kangin ran a frustrated hand through his hair. This had begun to get way out of hand. And fast. They had been attacked and there was no way to trace who the attackers were. Their biggest hope to track them via DNA database was crushed, and now they couldn’t track where the weapons came from. This was so ed up.

 

“Actually…”Kyuhyun’s voice broke into the silence, his eyes widened as he remembered something. “I think we can get a clue, but I’m not sure how to…” he looked at his Don. “I need Changmin’s help.”

 

 

****************************************

 

 

Siwon flopped down on the sofa next to Heechul’s bed and sighed heavily. According to the doctors, Heechul should be awake in one hour and the Consigliere decided to wait in the recovery room instead. His phone rang a few minutes ago and Kangin informed him that they still had no idea who attacked them. This was a bad news indeed, but a little bit of hope remained; maybe with Changmin’s help there might be some clues. The man could work in the most unusual ways with the most creative ideas and although it had been quite a long time since they asked for his help, luckily Kyuhyun remained in close contact with him.

 

The door then opened and revealed Yunho who stepped into the room. The surgeon had obviously freshly showered and he didn’t look as tired as he had been earlier. He sat next to Siwon and smiled slightly, “Figures you might want some company.”

 

The Consigliere smiled back, “Thanks. But aren’t you tired?”

 

Yunho shrugged, “I took some rest earlier so it’s okay. I’d rather wait for Heechul anyway; I know you have to tell him about Hangeng.”

 

Siwon couldn’t help but chuckled. He pat Yunho’s knee to show his gratitude; he knew the surgeon was obviously tired, but he definitely could use some support for when telling Heechul about Hangeng’s condition. He didn’t want to be alone if Heechul somehow went hysterical.

 

A weak moan from the bed brought their attention. They hurriedly moved towards the bed, just in time to see Heechul’s eyes fluttered open. The Consigliere sighed in relief as those eyes gradually focused and looked around the room.

 

“Where am I?” Heechul whispered.

 

“You’re in the hospital. You’ve been shot in the abdomen but it has been treated and you’re okay now,” Siwon answered as softly as he could.

 

Heechul’s eyes widened as he remembered what happened. He turned to look at Siwon and frantically asked, “Hangeng, where’s Hangeng?”

 

“Hey, hey, take it easy. You’ve just had a surgery, your body needs to rest. Hangeng is in the next room. He’s still unconscious, his condition currently remains critical and if he can’t regain consciousness in two days then…” the Consigliere didn’t continue.

 

Heechul closed his eyes in resignation. Few moments later, he whispered, “I want to be in the same room with him.”

 

Siwon opened his mouth to protest but Heechul glared at him scathingly, quite a feat considering he had just undergone an abdominal surgery few hours earlier. The Consigliere looked at Yunho for advice and the surgeon gave a nonchalant shrug before nodding.

 

“Okay, but once you’re there I want you to rest,” Yunho said with a firm tone. At the other’s nod, he stepped outside to ask for the nurses help’ to help him move Heechul. They wheeled his bed, carefully carrying the hooked IV and set it next to Hangeng’s bed. Yunho and Siwon then left the room. Heechul needed his rest and besides, they understood he would like to have some time alone with his lover, even if said lover was unconscious.

 

As soon as Yunho and Siwon closed the door, Heechul laid on his side facing Hangeng, this position would undoubtedly reopen his wound and Yunho would be so pissed at him later but right now he didn’t give a damn. He took his lover’s hand and entwined their fingers’ together, desperately grasping it as tightly as he could.

 

“Damn it Geng, if you dare leaving me here I swear I’d jump out this roof before your doctor can even say you’re dead.”

 

And he cried.

 

 

Author's Note: Well, here it is! This assault was too big to be fit into one chapter, so I decided to cut it into two chapters instead (I'm sure you guys won't mind, XD). I really want to post this chapter tonight as I really need to concentrate on the next chapter soon, be prepared for a kick- length for that. ^^

Please leave a comment because it's what fueled me to write faster! :)