Midnight

The Huntress

 

   Jessica felt like she had gone numb. She didn't know if the water running down her face was tears or rain anymore. She knew that somebody lifted her and that she was being carried but it was just a dry observation; it didn't make any difference to her.

 

   Her head felt heavy, her whole body felt too heavy. She was drained of both strength and will.

 

   She didn't know when but at some point she realised it was not raining anymore; she wasn't crying either. She was just empty.

 

   She closed her eyes and buried her face in the shirt of the other person. His earthy smell calmed her down but only a little. The next thing she knew, she was lying in a soft bed and then a stinging pain in her neck. She was lost in a dreamless sleep too fast to wonder what was happening.

 

   When she finally opened her eyes again the first thing she saw was the unfamiliar white ceiling. The heavy curtains of the window by the bed were drawn so she couldn't tell if it was still night or morning. She slowly got up feeling every muscle in her body complain. She surveyed the room she was in as her mind started processing the situation once more.

 

   It was a hotel room, small but clean. The room was so dark she could barely make out the shapes of the furniture. She searched blindly on the nightstand next to her until she managed to turn on the lamp on it. Her eyes instantly focused on the wolf sitting on the edge of the bed staring at her with his head resting on his front legs.

 

   She shot up and moved away from him until her back rested on the wall. The wolf just followed her with his eyes.

 

   "Enjoying yourself?" she spat as her eyes searched frantically the room for her katana.

 

   The wolf tilted his head and Jessica could have sworn he was mocking her. When it was obvious the wolf didn't have any intention of moving from where he was laying, she finally walked to the window and peeked outside. The sun was shining brightly forcing her to squint her eyes to be able to see the street outside the hotel. It wasn't far from the Town Hall.

 

   "Please get away from the window, the sun is making me uncomfortable." Jonghyun's voice was heard from behind her. Jessica turned towards him only to find him sitting at the exact same spot the wolf was a moment ago.

 

   "Where's my sword?" she asked irritated.

 

   Jonghyun tilted his head giving her an incredulous look. "Of course I left it at the park. You shouldn't play with sharp objects, you might hurt somebody," he said smiling innocently.

 

   Jessica released an exasperated sigh and moved towards the door but he was faster. He was standing in front of her, blocking the exit before she had made more than three steps.

 

   "Where are you going?" he asked moving from side to side to prevent her from leaving.

 

   "None of your business," she spat and shoved him out of her way.

 

   "Are you going after that demon of yours?" Jonghyun asked and smirked when he noticed that Jessica froze in place. She had her back still turned to him but it was easy to tell she was pissed off by the way she was trembling and taking deep breaths.

 

   "If I can't have revenge on the one who murdered my parents," she said turning to look at him with a threatening expression, "then I will go after the one who was taking advantage of me all this years." She tossed her hair back and made a move to open the door but Jonghyun wasn't done with their discussion.

 

   "You think you can go up against a demon?" he asked her amused.

 

   "If I have to, I'll go after God Himself," Jessica declared and opened the door. "And Yuri is no God."

 

   Jonghyun shot forward and grabbed her wrist, preventing her from taking another step away from him. They were so close that Jessica could feel his breath on her face; she could smell the scent of blood mixed with the earthy smell of his body.

 

   "Alright, I will help you," Jonghyun announced and dragged her back inside the room. Jessica tried to resist but he was stronger.

 

   "Why would you want to help me?"

 

   Jonghyun pursed his lips in deep thought. "I don't know, I got an interest in you."

 

   Jessica knew that he was lying to her. Vampires were cruel and heartless creatures; they didn't help anyone unless it was to their advantage. "What do you want from me?"

 

   For a moment they were looking at each other without speaking. When Jonghyun finally broke the silence his voice was low and threatening. "There's nothing I want from you. From Yuri on the other hand..."

 

   Jessica noticed his eyes shining with greed. She contemplated his words for a few minutes. "Fine," she said finally. "We are working together. But if you betray me I will slit your throat," she warned him and pulled her hand until he released his grip.

 

   "Yuri knows where you live, right?" Jonghyun asked. Jessica nodded her head, already understanding his point. "Good then we move here." He glanced around him again and scrunched his nose. "Okay maybe not here, but a hotel or a new apartment should do."

 

   Jessica nodded in agreement again and started making a mental list of all the things she would need from her apartment. She would have to go and get them as soon as she could, before Yuri started searching for her; today if possible and definitely before sunset.

 

   Jessica decided they would move to a new hotel. While it was still daytime she went and booked a bigger room in a hotel not far away from her apartment and moved some of her stuff there. Jonghyun couldn't follow her until it was night again. Jessica cursed under her breath every time she climbed the stairs to her apartment to get the next box filled with books, a few clothes and other things she had quickly gathered. Even if she was taking only the absolutely necessary it was still too much for her to carry on her own.

 

   When she closed the apartment's door behind her for the last time that day the sun was already setting. At least he will show up now.

 

   But when Jessica arrived at the new hotel, the room was empty. She shook her head frustrated and started unpacking. So the great elder doesn't want to move before midnight, does he?

 

   However it was almost dawn when Jonghyun tapped the window asking her to let him in. Jessica glared at him and crossed her arms over her chest waiting for an explanation. Jonghyun rolled his eyes and tapped the window again. Jessica shook her head to show him she was not going to let him in before he told her where he was. Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders and then punched straight at the window. The broken glass fell on the carpet beneath it as Jonghyun entered the room.

 

   "You should be nicer to me," he observed taking off and tossing his jacket on the bed.

 

   "Where have you been all night?" Jessica already knew the answer because his eyes flashed red, half hidden in the last shadows of the night.

 

   "I have to feed, don't I?"

 

   Jessica scoffed and turned her attention back to the book she was reading before Jonghyun had appeared. "Please refrain from killing innocents while we are hunting Yuri." Her voice had a final tone, like the matter was not up for discussion. Still Jonghyun was not used to being ordered.

 

   "I'm not helping you because I have to."

 

   "No you are helping me because you want to drink Yuri's blood," Jessica said calmly and glanced at him briefly. He wasn't exactly surprised, probably displeased that she knew. "Vampires can get stronger if they feed on magical creatures right? And the only creature stronger than a demon is an angel."

 

   Jonghyun let out a long breath to calm himself and fell back on the bed. "So what's the plan?" he asked to change the subject.

 

   "Well only angels can kill demons, so I guess we need to find one and ask for his-"

 

   "No angels," Jonghyun interrupted her. Jessica raised an eyebrow but didn't make a comment. She only waited for his own brilliant idea. "Make use of God's representatives on earth." Jonghyun put his hand together in a mocking gesture that resembled a prayer.

 

   "We need a priest for an exorcism," Jessica pointed out.

 

   "Who said anything about an exorcism?" Jonghyun said and hoped off the bed to sit next to her on the floor. "Holy Water may not do anything to vampires but trust me when I say it's deadly to demons."

 

   Jessica didn't raise her head from the book, her hair falling like a curtain on her face. She chewed on her lip considering his words. "So how do we do it?"

 

   Jonghyun flashed a content smile. "Just ask a priest to bless the water for you and you are done."

 

   "How much water?"

 

   "I think if you carry around a dozen of small vials you should be covered."

 

   Jessica turned to him in disbelief. "Only a vial? Really?"

 

   "Those who have fallen cannot even set their eyes on anything Holy," Jonghyun said pointing at a paragraph on the book Jessica was holding. What he had just said was basically a summary of the passage in front of her.

 

   "That makes sense," she mumbled.  

 

 

   Jessica was already used to sleeping during the day and working at night, considering that monsters only came out late at night, so it was not hard for her to adapt to Jonghyun's program. He preferred lying around the room in the form of a wolf during the day and was out searching for information on Yuri at night.

 

   Jessica herself had started writing down everything she had learned about Yuri all the years she had spent with her and had already visited a nearby church to acquire the precious Holy Water. Really if it was in her hand she would drag the priest back to her apartment and have him bless a whole bathtub, but Jonghyun told her that was too much.

 

   Surprisingly enough, Jonghyun didn't attack anyone during the next few days. However Jessica was always worried when she left him alone that he would come back stinking of blood again, provoking her to attack him. Because Jessica couldn't stand thinking that Jonghyun was hurting innocent people, especially not when she was spending so much time with him. She didn't know if he didn't want to push her to her limits or if he only fed from time to time but in the end the result was that Jessica felt relieved that at least for now she could focus on Yuri.

 

   Until four days later Jonghyun came back earlier than expected. Jessica lifted her eyes from the paper in front of her and looked at him questioningly. "Already done meeting your monster friends for tonight?"

 

Jonghyun gave her an annoyed look and fell heavily on the couch across from the bed putting a hand over his eyes. Jessica noticed that he was sweating and that his hands were trembling. "Are you okay?"

 

   "Tired," Jonghyun groaned in response.

 

   "I didn't know vampires could feel tired," Jessica joked but then she heard his stomach growl. Her blood froze in her veins. It was like time itself had frozen.

 

   Jonghyun slowly removed his hand and shifted in his place until their gazes locked. Jessica noticed for the first time that his eyes were a warm chocolate brown when he had not just fed. His tongue poked out of his mouth and the corner of his lips. Jonghyun moved carefully. He got up, his eyes never leaving Jessica's, and took a few cautious steps forward.

 

   The way he moved was both graceful and threatening at the same time, resembling the way a lion is waiting to attack its pray.

 

   "Sweet Sica," he breathed out and Jessica felt her legs move in their own accord as she got up and walked towards him. Her heart was pounding fast inside her chest, responding to his call. Before she even realised it, she was lying on the bed and he was on top of her using his hands for support.

 

   "You really taste so sweet, Sica," Jonghyun whispered, their faces only a few centimeters apart. Jessica couldn't tear her eyes away from his face.  He lowered his head and allowed his lips to touch hers for only a brief second before he moved towards her neck biting and nibbling on his way.

 

   She could feel his breath over the freshly healed marks from the last time he had bitten her. She was feeling light-headed. The pounding of her heart sounded too loud in her ears, so loud that it almost drowned any other noise in the room and from the street outside.

 

   Jonghyun pressed his lips on the mark in a soft kiss before he bit her. Jessica jerked underneath him but he grabbed her wrists and forced her to stay still while he was drinking. Jessica was in so much pain that tears started flowing down her cheeks. It felt like somebody was her life little by little.

 

   Then slowly but steadily, the pain started fading away. Actually everything started fading away; she could barely feel the mattress underneath her. It was weird, something between being drunk and sleepy. It was a nice, relaxed feeling, completely different from the way she felt before.

 

   And then she out.

 

   

   When she opened her eyes again she had that deja vu feeling, like she had done the exact same thing before. And then she realised that in fact the exact same thing had happened to her again, when she had first woken up in that hotel room after hunting Jonghyun. She got up immediately only to be pushed back down to the bed.

 

   "You might not want to move so fast," Jonghyun instructed her. "I think I drank a little bit more than I should."

 

   Jessica glared at him and hit his hand away from her. "You fed from me," she accused him.

 

   Jonghyun turned his bloody eyes to her. "I told you that I need to feed but you had to be the ing boss didn't you?" he hissed back at her.

 

   " you," was the only answer Jessica had for him.

 

   She got up and walked towards the door. She was still dizzy and she had to support herself on the wall but she was determined to refuse any kind of help from that bastard.

 

   "Where are you going?" Jonghyun asked and his relaxed tone only pissed Jessica off more.

 

   "Home."

 

   "She'll find you there."

 

   "It's still noon, I'm safe."

 

   Jonghyun rolled his eyes. "Fine go and get yourself killed," he said as Jessica turned her back to him. She heard the low growl that indicated he had transformed to a wolf again before she slammed the door behind her.

 

 

    Jessica was walking slowly and had to take a break very often. Even though her apartment was only a ten minute walk from the hotel it took her a little more than half an hour to get there. She fell on her couch relieved that she could finally get some rest.

 

   When the room stopped spinning around her, Jessica took a moment to consider her next move.

 

   I can't just go back to the hotel while Jonghyun is there. I can't stay here either after sunset. Night is dangerous.

 

   She rubbed her temple trying to calm down and think of a plan. But anger was still boiling inside her.

 

    you Jonghyun!

   Who gave you the right to use your mesmerising powers on me in the first place?

 

   She had lost a lot of blood. If she could look at herself in a mirror she would see that her complexion was almost as pale as Jonghyun's and her eyes were clouded with exhaustion. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes. Soon enough she was sound asleep.

 

 

 

   Jessica's eyes opened at the sound of footsteps. They were very soft but she had trained for years to be ready for an attack at any moment. It was not rare for her to come back from a draining night of hunting only to find that a monster had snuck in her apartment to kill her, not rare at all.

 

   Only Jessica knew that the monster that was lurking in the shadows around her this time was the deadliest and strongest she had ever faced. She peeked at the clock hanging from the wall across the room.

 

   23.46.

 

   She felt rather than she heard Yuri lunge at her and she made an effort to get away which only ended up as her falling on the floor and Yuri landing on the couch, knocking it over. Jessica shook her head to get her hair out of her eyes and focused on Yuri. The demon was standing a few meters away from her, holding a whip.

 

   "Jessica, you should have known better," Yuri said with her characteristic icy voice.

 

   Jessica furrowed her brows and tried her best to stand up. It only made her dizzier and she realized that her legs were trembling.

 

   "You should have at least made an effort to fight me." Yuri laughed, opening a little more than a normal person. "I'm not even sure you are worth killing."

 

   Jessica leaned on the bookcase behind her and moved her right hand behind her back slowly in search of the vial. Yuri had a better eyesight than her, especially in the darkness and the movement didn't go unnoticed. Her whip wrapped around Jessica's arm and pulled it away causing her to lose her balance. Jessica fell on her knees just as Yuri was getting ready to strike again. Jessica fell backwards so that the whip barely grazed her cheek but it still gave her a pretty deep cut.

 

   Yuri squinted her eyes angry that what should have been an easy prey was slipping away at the last minute every time. She lifted her head, throwing the whip back preparing for another attack but Jessica had already managed to get out from her back pocket the small vial. She threw it straight at her chest.

 

   Yuri tipped her head and looked at the vial being thrown at her curiously. Then she disappeared for a couple of seconds - enough for the vial to fly through the air and finally be crushed on the wall behind her - and then reappeared again.

 

   "You naughty girl," Yuri said, poison dripping from her words.

 

   Jessica was desperate by that point. She couldn't move and her head felt as heavy as a rock.

 

   But she was not afraid, never afraid.

 

   Yuri paused to observe the weak girl in front of her. "Just what did you expect?" she asked disgusted. "I have your soul, remember? There is no way you're getting out of this alive."

 

   Jessica looked straight into Yuri's eyes more determined than ever to make her shut the up once and for all; no matter what it took. "Maybe I wasn't planning to get out of this alive," she answered and even she was surprised with how steady her voice sounded.

 

   Yuri spit on her to show Jessica just how much she was worth to her and prepared to finish her off. Then Yuri was knocked over, her head banging on the floor.

 

   The next second Jonghyun was kneeling next to Jessica. He threw her over his shoulder and ran to her bedroom. He tossed her on the bed, exited the room again and closed the door behind him without locking it. A lock wouldn't stop Yuri.

 

   Jessica was more than confused. She could hear the other two fighting in the other room, glass breaking, stuff falling on the floor and crushing on the walls. The adrenaline was the only thing keeping her awake at the moment.

 

   A couple of minutes later a heavy silence engulfed her apartment until Jonghyun burst into the room, bleeding that white poison from the corner of his lips and with quite a few bruises all over his body.

 

   "Okay, listen to me; she is out for now but not for long. She is stronger than I thought," he said while checking behind him to make sure Yuri was still unconscious. "I'm gonna need your help."

 

   "I'd be glad to give it if you hadn't the strength out of me last night," Jessica spat still angry at him.

 

   "Surprisingly enough, you being like this is an advantage to us," Jonghyun said and pushed her until she was lying on the bed. "We are going to defeat her by playing her own game."

 

   Jessica was puzzled. Jonghyun smiled at her mischievously and explained his new plan.

 

   "Okay remember how I said that demons are very good at manipulating human minds?" he asked and waited for Jessica to nod her head in agreement. Yuri groaned in pain and shifted slightly. Jonghyun's head snapped to her direction and the words started coming out of his mouth faster.

   "Fall asleep but always remember that you are dreaming. Keep visualising a scenery, whatever you want, but keep that image vivid in your mind. If you are successful then Yuri will be waiting for you there, or at least a part of her." He saw Yuri slowly getting up from the corner of his eyes. "It's because you sold your soul to her, fight her with everything you’ve got. You defeat her mentally and I'll take care of her physically."

 

   He ran outside the room again banging the door closed behind him. The last thing Jessica saw of him was his encouraging smile as he wished her good luck. 

 

   The noise of battle was heard again. Jessica wanted to scream that his plan balls but her eyes already felt too heavy to keep open.

 

Keep visualising a scenery, whatever you want, but keep that image vivid in your mind.

 

    Jonghyun's voice echoed in her mind as she allowed herself to drift off to sleep.

 

 

   Jonghyun punched Yuri so hard that he heard her neck break. For a second they both stayed frozen, until Yuri turned her head to its normal position with a creepy creaking sound. Jonghyun jumped a few steps back to buy some time until he figured a way to kill her once and for all.

 

   Yuri, however, was not the type to wait. She kept hitting him with her whip without mercy. Jonghyun had no choice but to try to protect himself for every time he got hit it felt like he was being tortured with hot iron. But Jonghyun knew that demons were creatures that worked mostly behind the scenes, tricking humans into selling their souls and manipulating memories to their own advantage.

 

   He was definitely stronger and he would crush her if he just got the chance to get closer to her. The problem was that beating her up would only slow her down, not destroy her.

 

 

   Jessica was standing in an empty road in the middle of a destroyed city. There was a crushed car to her left and right in front of her stood a tall, white tree, stripped bare of its leaves. Its white branches seemed like they were shining under the velvet night sky. She wasn't very close to it but she thought it looked like it was made of ashes, majestic and vulnerable at the same time.

 

   "So this is my dream?" she wondered out loud inspecting her surroundings unsurely. The soft breeze carried the sweet smell of grass after rain to her. It was a familiar and calming scent, but she couldn't tell exactly where she had smelled it before.

 

   She was still standing trying to decide what to do when Yuri appeared behind the tree. Her hair were falling around her shoulders like black waves that melted perfectly with her long dress. Yuri was stunning in real life but to see her in her dream, the sight was absolutely breathtaking. Except Jessica had already learned to see behind her mask.

 

   "This is your great plan?" Yuri mused. "I admit it will be an interesting challenge to fight both of you in different dimensions at the same time but you'll still lose."

 

   Jessica knew that demons had the ability to enter and control the dreams of other but she was not sure how defeating Yuri in a dream would have any effect in real life. She would have to trust Jonghyun's words. Yuri raised her hand so that her palm was turned towards the tree. Right in front of it appeared an hourglass.

 

   "Before sunset, before the last grain of sand falls, you will be dead," Yuri declared.

 

   "We'll see about that," Jessica said through her teeth.

 

 

   As Yuri snapped her whip at Jonghyun once more, he caught it before she had time to retract it and pulled with all his strength. The whip flew out of Yuri's hands. Jonghyun sneered at her and cracked his knuckles getting ready for the next round of their fight. This time he had a considerable advantage.

 

   Jessica was fighting with all her strength. In the dream she felt full of energy and determination, the complete opposite of when she fell asleep. But Yuri still seemed to  be able to avoid her with ease. She looked like a leaf floating in the air, moving gracefully around Jessica, first close to provoke her and then away as Jessica's fists landed on thin air again and again in an endless dance.

 

   Even though Yuri's expression never changed Jessica had spent so much time with her that she could see that the demon was struggling to keep up despite her nonchalant attitude. Jessica had more close combat experience and she knew that the only thing she needed to get the upper hand was a chance to land a hit; just one.

 

 

   Jonghyun had already noticed that Yuri had gotten slower. Good, that meant that Jessica had already lured her in the dream.

 

   He grabbed Yuri from the neck and crushed her on the wall, breaking it with all the strength he used. Yuri was badly hurt -Jonghyun was sure that if she had blood she would be bleeding - but she still had strength to put up a fight. 

   "You want me to torture you? As you wish your Highness," Jonghyun mocked her before his fist collided with her face. He released her and Yuri slipped to the floor with her head lowered. Jonghyun stared at her for a second and then kicked her in the stomach. Yuri didn't respond.

 

 

   Yuri lost her footing for just a second and Jessica found the opening she had been searching for so long. Before Yuri could find balance again Jessica lunged at her and managed to land a brutal knee to Yuri's side. Yuri cried out in pain and fell to her knees. Jessica was standing above her getting ready to give her the final blow.

 

   "You think you can win against me?" Yuri asked. "This is my realm, before you die, you will lose your mind. You will face your worst nightmares before you even have the chance to get near me again," she yelled and her voice echoed a thousand times louder forcing Jessica to cover her ears.

 

   The ground started shaking and the few buildings that were still standing crumbled to pieces. Jessica watched the world around her being destroyed as the gigantic tree - which was now behind her - cracked and blood started coming out. The sound of the sand grains in the hourglass was multiplied, until it sounded like bells counting down the finale of their fight to the death. And Yuri stood taller and more magnificent than ever right in front of Jessica, her snake-like tongue poking out of her open mouth like she was tasting the air in front of her. For all Jessica knew she might have been doing just that.

 

   Jonghyun kicked Yuri again and again. When Yuri didn't move he stopped and took a step back to observe her. He smirked and moved closer to her. He leaned above her, his face beaming with pleasurable anticipation. He bared his teeth excited for the treat waiting for him so obediently.

 

   Blinded by greed Jonghyun didn't realise how exposed he was at that moment. Yuri bounced on him, sinking her own teeth in his neck. Jonghyun jumped away from her covering the wound with his hand. He turned to look at Yuri as she spit out his poison and wiped with the back of her hand.

 

   ", you are going down," he breathed out and charged at her, biting every chance he could and even tearing whole pieces of flesh at times. Yuri clawed at him, she kicked and fought underneath him trying to get away. 

 

 

   Yuri was looking down at Jessica with a victorious smirk. "Let's see you trying to fight back now," she said.

 

   Jessica was frozen in place in shock . There was no way she could win. From the corner of her eye she noticed a tornado a few kilometers away. The smell of death and decay was suffocating and yet through all that a small hint of that scent managed to reach her - grass after the rain.

 

   My dream, Jessica thought, recalling Jonghyun's words. "This is my dream," she yelled. "And I am the one who controls it."

 

   It felt like she was pressing a stone wall with her mind, like all her power was quickly consumed for a meaningless fight. It was almost like lead was pressed on her brain, she didn't know how much she could keep this up.

 

   Yuri didn't look so well either. She was sweating and her whole body was shaking from trying to claim victory. Until finally everything around them froze and then - almost as if time turned back itself - Jessica was standing facing the tree again, Yuri kneeling defeated in front of her. She didn't understand how but she had her katana in her hand again. She stole a glance at the hourglass - only a few grains left.

 

   "Go back to hell !" Jessica swung her sword cutting Yuri's head from her body moments before the first rays of the morning sun spread lazily on the ground.

 

   Revenge!

 

 

   Jessica could feel somebody shaking her by the shoulders but she refused to open her eyes. She was too tired, she wanted to go back to sleep. There was this weird buzzing noise in her ears that annoyed her but it was slowly fading away allowing other sounds to invade her mind.

 

   "-sica," a voice yelled in the distance.

 

   "Jessica!" This time Jonghyun's voice was clear and loud forcing her to open her eyes and look at his bruised and battered face.

 

   She tried to ask what was wrong but was too dry to speak.

 

   "No time for day dreaming princess, your demon exploded out of nowhere and now the apartment is on fire."

 

   "She exploded?" Jessica  managed to mutter bringing a hand to her head trying to understand what was happening around her.

 

   "Well you killed her didn't you? What do you think happens when a demon dies? It's not like you've ever seen their corpes lying around," Jonghyun said and pulled her off the bed. Jessica followed him confused out of the bedroom to the corridor from where she could see the flames raging in the destroyed living room.

 

   Jessica froze in place her grip so tight on Jonghyun's arm that her knuckles had turned white. Her eyes grew double their size and she had to make a considerable effort to keep herself from shaking.

 

   Jonghyun glanced at her dumbfounded for a moment and then lifted her up. "Great moment you choose to get your soul back," he breathed out as he ran out of the building carrying her. A small cry drowned in as Jonghyun broke the small glass case next to the building's main door with his elbow and pressed the fire alarm.

 

   For a second there was a deadly silence around them and then the building echoed with footsteps and people screaming their lungs out, trying to get out before the fire spread.

 

   Before Jessica could begin to comprehend what was happening she and Jonghyun were shoved to the side as the other residents rushed to the street.

 

   Only ten minutes later the firefighters arrived.

 

   Jessica was still dizzy and confused and she had that weird feeling that made her stomach clench and her skin to shiver.

 

   Is this fear? she wondered.

 

   "Miss are you okay?"

 

   Jessica looked up and her eyes fell on one of the firefighters.

 

   "What?" she asked with a trembling voice.

 

   "You've been standing on the same spot without moving for quite a while now, miss. Are you okay?" the older man asked her worried.

 

   Jessica looked around her. She was alone, sitting on the sidewalk, with a leather jacked draped over her shoulders.

 

   "I was... with a man," she told him hesitantly.

 

   The firefighter gave her a worried look and turned to one of his colleagues, telling him to call for an ambulance. Some meters to her left a middle-aged woman kept complaining about a party in Jessica's floor that woke her up around midnight. 

 

   Jessica shrank back, wearing the jacket properly. Where is he? Jessica searched every face in the crowd around her but to no avail. She heard a noise above her head and turned to look at the branches of the tree. Her eyes met those familiar brown orbs and her heart skipped a beat for no apparent reason. Then he was gone and a bat flew away in the sky. A tear trailed down her face as the realisation that he had left sank in. A small voice inside her wondered if he had gotten what he wanted, if he had drunk Yuri's blood, but it was too weak for Jessica to pay any attention to it.

 

   She wanted to hope that the next time the moon shone above her she would have something more to hope for than catching her prey. 

 

   She placed her hands on her knees and buried her face in the space between them, allowing herself to be consumed by the intoxicating scent of him, that sweet earthy smell - grass after the rain. 

 


 

A.N.

This is the epic 5700-words long ending

Am I dead tired? Yes

Am I satisfied? I don't know I'm too high on sugar and SHINee's Please Don't Go to be a fair judge

The last part feels kind of... meh (for a luck of a better description)