Follow Your Dreams Not Me. (Promise)

Love Story

*****6 Years Later******

 

(Kevin POV)

                Today was the day, to worry that is. Mae and I are auditioning for a Korean music industry . I mean I’m not worried, It’s just Mae tends to worry a lot and it worries me as well. I sat on my bed and looked over at my clock, it was 7:45 and the bus was about to arrive. I quickly tied my hair up and left my house.
                “KEVIN,” Mae yelled for me as she was running toward me. Her bus stop closed about 2 years ago so she used my bus stop instead, “ I over slept so I had to run 5 blocks here -___-“
                “Staying at your Mom’s again?”
                “Just for this week.” Mae’s parent’s split when she was 13 and she switches between her parents houses every now and then. We both got on the bus and sat in our usual spot, with our friends Luhan and Lay behind us. Luhan was a rather peculiar kid with a handsome face. Lay was very goofy that in a sense almost every work he said was like a joke. Anyway, once the bus left the stop, Mae was acting rather… weird.
                “Hey Kevin, Let’s learn about magnetism.” Mae shot a glance at me.

                “What? Magnetism?”

                “Yes. You see if my face is where it is now, there is no charge.” She put her face toward mine suddenly, “And if my face is here, there is a very positive charge.”
                “What’s so positive?” I asked out of stupidity. She moved her face closer and closer to mine when our lips were about to touch.

                “OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG! LOOK AT THAT THEY’RE GNNA KISS!!!!” Luhan shouted. RUINED MOMENT! I shot a piercing stare at Luhan and he just sat there staring at me. “What?.........OH! I’m sorry bro.”
                “It’s fine,” Mae and I just sat next to each other normally again. The bus arrived at school, Mae and I got off first and waited in the quad for first period to start. “Mei-Lien are you nervous for later?” Mae casually shook  her head and we headed to a table in the quad. I kept to myself and thought a lot. ‘What if I don’t make it~ or What if Mae doesn’t make it? Then what do we do?’  Mae was especially quiet today, it worried me. Was she worried? Or was she mad that we didn’t kiss? I had no way of telling, so I just rolled it off my back. The bell rang for first period so Mae and I walked together to our class. Lucky for us it was a half day since we had exams.

(Mae POV)

                I feel awful! I didn’t focus on my exams at all! I had several things on my mind, Kevin, the audition, Kevin, why he didn’t kiss me, Kevin. Did I mention Kevin????? Ugh, my mind was cluttered but I still did my exams. After school, I was frantically looking for Kevin. We were almost late for our audition.
                “ZHANG MEI-LIEN!,” I heard a stern voice call me from behind. It was Kevin, he grabbed my wrist and he dragged me out of the school as we Walked to the audition building. As we entered a judge immediately called for Kevin and he stepped in. You wouldn’t believe how much I prayed for Kevin. When he was auditioning I had a sudden thought, what if one of us were to make it? How could that possibly work out? I hoped for the best of us both.
                Within minutes, Kevin walked out beaming. He made it in! I felt so happy for him that I almost kissed him on the spot but, the judge then called me in. Yet again, a kiss moment ruined. I walked in the room rather nervous, there were bullets of sweat dripping from my face already.
                “Please Introduce yourself.” The lady instructed me.
                “ I’m Zhang Mei-Lien, 16 y/o, 160 cm tall, 42 kg. I’ll be auditioning to become a singer.”

                “Please sing for us what you prepared today.”  I sang ‘Stuttering’ by Jazmin Sullivan, I missed a few notes here and there but it’s all good. The judges didn’t seem to notice. After I was done with the song the judges wrote on their clipboards and looked at me once again.

                “Ms.Zhang, we are sad to inform you that you will not be a part of SME. You could audition for JYP, we will be glad to recommend you.” One of the male judges spoke to me in a formal tone. I bowed to them, and thanked them for letting me audition in their presence and left with tears rising up. Kevin saw me and immediately hugged me for noticing how I was on the verge of tears. I hung on to Kris’s waist line and we both walked out.

                “Mei-Lien, If you aren’t going with me, I won’t go.”
                “Don’t do that, you have to follow your dreams.”
                “Mae, what am I going to do without you?”

                “Follow your dreams.”
                “I want you with me.”
                “If you don’t go after your dreams then you’ll regret it later. Don’t worry about me. Li Jiaheng, do what you want, I’ll be fine.” He directed my face toward his. It also started to rain then. I inched my face closer to his and our lips almost touched, at the second our lips were about to touch, my phone went off. “YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! HELLO?” I hissed into the phone.

                “ ZHANG MEI-LIEN! GET YOUR HOME RIGHT NOW AND HURRY IT UP! WE ARE GOING TO BE AT YOUR AUNTS HOUSE TOMORROW!”  I completely forgot we were going to Aunt Fei Fei’s house. I quickly put my phone away and propped my bag up.

                “Kevin! I’m sorry that I’m leaving so soon! My mom wants me at my house now! Zai Jian!” I ran off toward the path to my house.

                “WAIT MEI LIEN,” Kevin grasped my forearm as he caught up to me, “wo ai ni” He whispered into my ear and left a box in my hand. I opened the box, and there was a locket inside of it.  I took it out and opened it to see a picture of us together. “I leave tomorrow in the morning, this is something to remember me by, prmose you won’t forget me,”

                “How could I forget a man as sweet as you?” I kissed his cheek and ran off once again, I stopped myself in my tracks, “LI JIAHENG! WO AI NI!” I continued to run to my house. When I enterd my house, hot tears slid down my cold cheeks. I held onto the locket and that’s when I promised myself, I wouldn’t forget him even if I tried to.