Good in Goodbye

Good in Goodbye

It was another quiet night, the beautiful city lights that made Seoul so beautiful was seen from Nicole's bedroom window. Yongguk was out for another business party, Nicole knew he was coming home late.  She took one last glance at the city lights before closing the blinds; then alone tucking herself in bed, silence had been a friend of hers for sometimes now. Nicole turned off the light that sat on her night stand, she then heard the doors opening from downstairs. She could hear the heavy footsteps on the stairs making its way towards her bedroom.  She sat up in her bed staring at the bottom of the door where the light was seen there a shadow was cast upon, she then turned her attention towards the door knob that slowly turned as the door slowly opened.

"Nicole?" A voice so familiar, "Nicole-ah?" She sat still as the doors finally opened and the light from the hallway showed Nicole's bare face.  She stared at the figure that walked towards her, she watched as he sat on her bed side with his head down unable to look at her in the eyes.  His face seemed so familiar and his scent...his scent brought back memories she thought she had thrown away.  His image became blurry to her, she then realized her tears were becoming visible. 

"Junhyung-ah?" she heard herself asking him, "Junhyung-ah," she quickly scrambled beside him as she placed both of her hands around his right arm, "What are you doing here?" She shook her head in disbelief.

"Nicole-ah..." he finally turned his head towards her way, his eyes were red and she could tell he had been crying, "I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry." He leaned over and hugged her small body tightly against his, "I couldn't...I couldn't marry Hara..." Nicole placed her right hand over his head then closing her eyes as the tears coldly ran down her cheeks. She heard the doors downstairs slamming. 

Nicole opened her eyes and realized she had been dreaming. She stared at her clock that sat still on her night stand, it was a little passed one in the morning. She heard Yongguk's car pulling into the drive way as she got out of bed and headed out her bedroom. 

He stumbled as he enter through the front door slamming it shut before he landed onto the wooden floors. Nicole who was standing at the end of the staircase made her way towards him, as she help pulled him up. She could smell the strong aroma of alcohol all over his clothes and his breath. 

"Why did you drink?" She asked him though she knew he wouldn't answer her since he was already drunk as she put him down on the sofa, "You already know you can't drink much and why did you drive home?  Why didn't you call me to come pick you up?" She watched Yongguk who was already fast asleep.

Nicole went back upstairs to their bedroom and grabbed the extra blanket and pillows and brought it down to Yongguk. After she covered him with the blanket she went into the kitchen and made lemon water for him so when he woke up he wasn't so exhausted. She made her way back into the living room and lied down next to Yongguk covering the both of them with the blanket as she wrapped her arms around him who was fast asleep, before her tired eyes began to close she felt both of his arms wrapping around her. 

"Shhh, you know I love you right?" She heard him whispering closely to her, as he then planted a small kiss on her forehead, Nicole smiled as she then leaned her head closer to his chest and there the two fell asleep.  
 
Junhyung woke up alone in bed, he stared at his clock that struck eight in the morning.  He sat up in bed as he stretched his tired arms in the air.  He heard the shower running and knew Hara was already awake.  He got out of bed and walked out into the hallway, making his way into their other bathroom as he washed himself up. Life had been great for the past three years after Hara and him got married, life was going great if not then wonderful.  He stared at his reflection after he got out of the shower.
 
"Junhyung," Hara knocked on the bathroom door, "your parents wants us to meet them later today for lunch..." as she then waited for his reply.
 
"Oh alright then," as he opened the door with only his towel on and his bare chest showing, "what time?" he asked her.
 
"Around three, hurry and change and come down for breakfast." She smiled at him as she made her way down the stairs.
 
Nicole opened her tired eyes to find herself alone on the sofa as she could hear the dishes rattling in the kitchen, she slowly stood up and stretched before making her way into the kitchen to find Yongguk in his apron setting up the table.  She stood at the kitchen door way with her head leaning against the wall until he noticed her standing there.
 
"Ah you're awake?" He smiled at her as he put down the last dish that was on his hand onto the table, "Breakfast is ready." His gummy smiled quickly appeared on his face as his cheeks started to turn pink.
 
"You sure know how to treat your lady," she smiled as she took her seat, "I'll just wash up after breakfast."
 
"Oh I wanted to take you out today..." he then took his seat across from Nicole as the two began to eat.
 
"For what?" She asked as she began to chew on her food.
 
"It's a surprise." He smiled as he quickly scoop rice into his mouth.
 
"Junhyung..." Hara asked Junhyung while he was driving, "there's something that I've been wanting to ask you for awhile now..." She placed her hand over his as the two came to a stop light.
 
"What?" He smiled at her who seemed a bit serious it was she wanted to ask him.
 
"Are you happy?" Then there was silence, as Hara removed her hands away from his while he turned his attention foreword unable to make eye contact with her.
 
"Why do you ask?" His smile slowly disappeared, "Aish why isn't the light turning green." He tried to change the subject.
 
"I never told you but, the other night when you came home drunk you called me Nicole..." Hara turned her head out towards the window, "I've been trying to get over it but...but then again I'm starting to have my doubts." As the lights turned green Junhyung made a u-turn surprising Hara, "This isn't the way." She quickly told him.
 
"I know," he said, "let's go somewhere to talk first." then silence grew once again.
 
Nicole stared at her reflection in the mirror as she combed out her lose curls.  She then remember her dream; she hadn't seen or talked to Junhyung after the night she left his wedding.  That night came rushing back as she remember walking out of the department in her golden low-cut dress.  She remember the cold air that pressed against her body before she enter her car with tears running down her face and how she redundantly told herself it was okay, it was alright.  She remember before she was about to start the engine she found Junhyung outside her car tapping on her window as she got out of the car.
 
----------------------------------------F l a s h b a c k----------------------------------------
 
"I'm sorry," Nicole closed her car door behind her as she quickly wrapped her arms around Junhyung's waist, "I know I said I'll be okay but I'm not, I'm not okay at all...I can't I just can't seem to let everything go, I can't seem to throw the memories that we've made together away like it was a bucket filled with waste, I'm sorry I don't have the courage to send you off, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry I can't seem to let you go Yong Junhyung." Her cried became audible over her shaking voice, "I know you've already said the words that can't be taken back now, your voice that has already taken all of our memories away, those memories that we can't get back...but why do I want you to stay with me?" She felt his hands wiping away her tears.
 
"You have no faults but you keep saying that you're sorry you babo," he tried to smile for Nicole,"I don't regret it, the time we had together...I won't forget it," his low voice trickled down Nicole's back, "but somehow we'll both figured out where we belong, maybe goodbye will make us strong." He then slowly moved his hands away from her face as she grabbed onto them for a little longer, "Go now. because if you hesitate, I might hold onto you...when I shouldn't...you're not mines anymore..." he then pulled back his hands as he pulled away from Nicole, "I came out here to say thank you for coming and though there were tears that fell, thank you for making those happy memories with me" he bowed towards Nicole as his tears became visible, "I'm sending you away like this but,I wish that you'll be happier. Sometimes, there's good in goodbye." He then stood up straight again, she watched as he turned his back getting further away from her as he opened the door hesitating to enter, he then walked in as the door closed behind him.
 
Nicole bit her lip trying to not let another tear fall for him, she brushed her hand through her hair before getting into her car once again sitting in silence.  She started the engine to her car and drove off into the night.
 
----------------------------------------End of Flashback----------------------------------------
 
Nicole remember coming home and crying herself to sleep, waking up with swollen eyes.  Not wanting to do anything, and realizing that her and Junhyung were officially over.  She couldn't cope with it thinking back she realized if things were meant to happen then they would've.  She smiled at herself in the mirror as she put down her comb and headed into her bedroom as Yongguk held up two dress shirt asking her which one he should wear.
 
"Blue or white?" He asked her, "I think white compliments me more, but I hardly wear blue." She smiled at him.
 
"I like blue on you," she smiled, "because you hardly wear it."
 
Her and Yongguk met three years back by accident. Yongguk was running late to one of his meeting as he got out of the coffee shop without noticing Nicole as he opened the lid of his hot coffee as he was trying to add extra sugar into it, he accidently poured it all over Nicole's art utensil not realizing Nicole was walking through the door the same time he was walking out.  He apologize over and over following Nicole through the street of Seoul though Nicole told him it was okay. He then realized his meeting was over and Nicole had asked him if didn't mind for the two to have lunch together.
 
Junhyung stared at his clock, it was around two in the afternoon. Hara and him were to meet with his parents around three but that could wait he thought to himself.  Hara sat quietly in the car staring out the window looking at the lake that Junhyung had took the two to talk.
 
"Did you want to stay in the car or go sit out?" He finally asked her.
 
"It's fine, it's a bit chilly today" she said without looking at him, "we can just talk inside since we have to leave in a bit." 
 
"I'm happy." He finally answered her question, "I really am." He smiled to himself as he squinted his eyes looking at the lake.
 
"You still think of her don't you?" She then turned to look at the side view of his face, "I know you've told me you guys were a couple...I knew that well back then too, maybe if I wasn't so self-fish you two would've gotten together." Her low voice send goosebumps through Junhyung's body as he then looked at her straight in the eyes.
 
"It's okay," he sigh, "everyone is selfish in their own ways...I don't regret anything with you." He smiled.
 
"It's okay if you still miss her, it's understandable...I should've given up on the whole arrangement marriage but I encouraged it and you were pressured I'm sure of it...but because of my selfish feelings I wanted you to be mines and I'm just ashamed of how it was forced." Hara lowered her head, as she felt his hands lifting up her chin as he smiled at her.
 
"You're my wife now, nothings going to break this family apart. I love you and only you." He smiled at her, "Things happens for a reason right?" He could see the sincere sorrow in her big round eyes, "The past is the past, we have the future to worry about now."
 
"It's almost three, I think we should hurry and go meet up with your parent's now." She smiled, "Thank you for being understanding." 
 
"I should be the one apologizing for causing these doubts in your head," he the engine as they made there way to the restaurant. 
 
Yongguk walked into the room as he buttoned up his blue dress shirt as he stared at Nicole who looked elegant even just in pair of dark navy blue skinny jeans with a plain white v-neck shirt tucked in with her beige boyfriend blazer and her CL Black High Heels on.
 
"So are you ready?" She smiled as she grabbed her handbag and looked at Yongguk who finished buttoning up his shirt.
 
"Yup, lets go." He smiled as he grabbed for her hands leading her down the stairs and out to his car.
 
"Where are we going?" She asked as the two got inside the car.
 
"You'll see." He smiled and pulled out of the drive way and drove off.
 
Junhyung parked his car as Hara and him got out of the car and enter the restaurant seeing his parents already waiting for the two of them as they made their way towards the table.
 
"We thought you two would never show up." Mrs. Yong said standing up and hugging Junhyung and Hara as Mr.Yong waited for his turn.
 
Yongguk stopped at the coffee shop that Nicole and him had met two years ago.  She looked at the building as Yongguk got out of the car and gesture for Nicole to come out.  She followed him as she closed her door behind her.
 
"You want some coffee at this time of day?" She giggled as she covered .
 
"Wait here," he said as she watched him enter the shop and started talking to one of the workers.
 
Nicole then turned her back towards him stared at the busy streets of Seoul then looking at her feet. 
Nicole turned to look at Yongguk who was standing by the glass doors as he gestured her towards him which she did as she walked towards the door, before grabbing it Yongguk quickly opened it and on the wall of the small coffee shop Nicole could see about 100 colorful paper cranes.
 
"Wow," she said so amazed, "I don't remember this place looking like this." She walked in as Yongguk closed the door, "Is this what you wanted to show me?" She turned back at him then bowed towards the workers, "You guys aren't that busy today?" She then asked them.
 
"This place was reserved for the two of you." The workers smiled as they went into the back bring out a box half the size of Nicole and placing it before Nicole's eyes then heading into the back once again leaving the two couple alone.
 
"Before you open it," Yongguk putted both of his hands onto her shoulders, "you have to go pick one paper crane." He smiled.
 
Nicole walked towards the wall with paper crane and analyzed it carefully, then pulling the pearl peach one off as she unfolded the crane and read the little message to herself.
 
"I love you more than myself, I think of you more than myself." Nicole looked up at Yongguk who was standing in front of her with his head down, she smiled at him as he then looked at her in the eyes.
 
"I actually wanted you to read all the little notes," he scratched his head, "I wrote these little notes starting from the first time that we met until our 100th day of knowing each other."
 
"You never told me." She smiled, "So you wrote about how you felt towards me until our 100th day together?" She turned back at the paper crane, "How long did it take you to fold all these?"
 
"I folded them the day I wrote them..." he assured her.
 
Nicole walked towards him as she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head closely towards his chest.  As he then rested his head on top of hers as his arms wrapped over her body.
 
"The one that I picked out already explained everything." She said, "Bang Yongguk...I love you too."
 
"Okay then," he said as he pulled away, "now open the box." He smiled as Nicole walked towards the box that was half her size.
 
Nicole slowly unwrapped the strings of the box then looking up at Yongguk as she then slowly opened the lid of the box. Nicole paused as she put down the lid onto the ground and stared at the inside of the box, she looked at Yongguk with tears in her eyes. In the box were rose petals scattered all around with lots and lots of pictures of him and her together, in the middle were three bottles filled with sand and letters in it.  Nicole grabbed the first bottle and opened it to read the letter.
 
"My first wish was to meet a girl who was beautiful inside and out...meeting her was no accident.  I wanted our meeting to be like those in the movies, I wanted her to have an good impression on me but I ended up screwing that up by spilling my coffee all over her utensil...but you have already granted me that wish."
 
Nicole put the letter back into the bottle as she grabbed for the second one.
 
"My second wish was to make this beautiful girl my lady.  She made me feel happy without trying.  She comforted me and console me when I needed her the most, she told me her life stories and I told her mines.  She knows me more than I know myself and I know her more than I know myself.  She has opened my eyes to a lot of things, I wonder if she'll be my lady...but you have already granted me that wish."  
 
Nicole smiled as she putted the letter back into the jar and grabbed for the last one.
 
"Now I was told you were only given three wishes, I could wish to be rich and famous but I know I wouldn't be satisfied with that kind of life.  I could wish to stay like this forever but then again I don't think forever is long enough, so..."
 
The letter stopped as Nicole looked at Bang Yongguk who was now on his knees in front of her holding out a ring.  She covered with both of her hands still holding onto the bottle and letter.
 
"So, if you'll grant me this last wish to make you my bride my wife; my life is complete." He smiled as he saw the tears were beginning to show in Nicole's eyes as she put the letter back into the jar and placing it back inside the box.
 
"I'm not a genie," Nicole smiled as her tears ran down her face walking towards him, "Bang Yongguk," she let out a soft sigh, "if this wish comes true will you be happy?" She questioned him.
 
"If this wish comes true, I'll happier than before." He smiled, "Even though you're not a genie, you've granted me two of my wishes already."
 
"Then you're last wish is granted." Nicole smiled as she leaned in and pressed her lips against his as she the hugged him tightly as she hugged her back tightly then placing the ring onto her finger.
 
Nicole and Yongguk left the shop and got into their car.  Nicole stared at her right and took in a deep breath as she placed her hand on top of his as he pressed on gas.
 
"We have one more place to go to." He smiled, "you're hungry right?" He asked her.
 
"Kinda of," she smiled.
 
"Umma, since you and appa are kind of in a hurry to catch your plain to Japan you guys can leave now I'll pay for the bill." Junhyung assured his parents.
 
"Aish, alright then.  We'll both make sure to call to let you guys know we've made it to Japan safely." Mrs. Yong smiled as her and Mr. Yong both left first.
 
"I'll go pay now so we can go." Junhyung smiled at Hara.
 
"Alright." She said.
 
Yongguk and Nicole pulled up to the restaurant that Nicole and Junhyung used to go to all the time. As the two got out of the car and got to the front door, Yongguk had forgotten about his wallet as he told Nicole to wait for him while he went back to grab it.  Nicole moved a few feet away from the door as she heard it opening.
 
Nicole turned around and saw Junhyung standing at the front door with a smile across his face as he then looked up and found himself face to face with Nicole, his smile slowly faded.  The two hadn't seen each other since the night of his wedding. Nicole looked down then back at him as she smiled towards him.
 
"Ni...Nicole-ah." He smiled again while he was still holding the door, "What are you doing here?" 
 
"Ahh, I came here to eat with my boyfriend...ah I meant my fiance." She replied back knowing that the atmosphere was beginning to get awkward, "Are you here with Hara?"
 
Before Junhyung could answer Nicole, Nicole saw a little girl running towards Junhyung and hugging onto Junhyung's leg as he turned his attention away from Nicole and towards the girl.
 
"Appa," her little voice was heard from where Nicole was standing as Junhyung pinched her cheeks, "appa, umma said I'm a big girl now.  I was able to climb out of my chair with umma's help." She smiled at Junhyung happily.
 
"That's my girl," Junhyung smiled at his little girl as he then pointed towards Nicole, "Eun-young say hi to Nicole." She turned around as she saw Nicole, she quickly bowed and smiled.
 
"Hello, I'm Yong Eun-young it's nice to meet you." Her little voice made Nicole smiled.
 
"How old is she?" Nicole asked.
 
"She's turning four soon." He answered her.
 
Hara came out of the restaurant and saw Nicole standing there, she smiled at Nicole and bowed politely.
 
"Nicole, it's nice to see you again.  It's been so long." Hara walked towards Nicole and hugged her, "How are you?" 
 
"I've been good." Nicole smiled, "You guys have been good to right?"
 
"We've been good." Hara smiled as she looked back at Junhyung and her daughter.
"You're little girls is adorable." Nicole smiled.
 
"Nicole." Yongguk came back and saw Nicole and bowed towards Junhyung and Hara.
 
"Oh this is my fiance Bang Yongguk." Nicole went to stand by his side, "This is Goo Hara one of my friends and Yong Junhyung...also one of my close friend and that's their little girl."
 
"Nice to meet you guys." Yongguk smiled at them, "I'll get us a table first then." He smiled and walked into the restaurant first.
 
"Well it was nice seeing you again." Junhyung smiled at Nicole, "Maybe we'll see you around?" Nicole nodded her head as she watched Junhyung and Hara walking away with there little girl in the middle.
 
Nicole watched as Junhyung picked up Eun-young and placed her on his shoulders, he looked happy. After all these years, time had been sweet to him she thought to herself and it made her glad.  She watched as he opened the back door and putting his little girl into the car and Hara already in the passenger seat.  Before he got inside the car he turned around and waved back at Nicole she waved back then he got into the car and driving off. 
 
She knew she was holding onto someone she had to let go of, as bad it was and as bad at it had hurt her to let him go she was happy she didn't get what she thought she had deserved, she finally realized the reason why things turned out the way they did. Goodbye did make the both of them strong, she was happy, she had found someone who made her happy. She knew someday she'll meet Junhyung again and it would be a bittersweet feeling not just for her but, for him as well. The words he had said to her four years back...sometimes, there's good in goodbye. She watched as their car drove off into the distant as she then finally enter the restaurant.  She made her way towards Yongguk who was still looking over the menu then looking up as Nicole sat down across from him.
 
"How do you feel?" He asked her.
 
"I'm sorry if it was awkward for you." She apologized.
 
"No it's fine," he said as he grabbed for her hands, "Sometimes life leads you down a different road."
 
"Yeah and sometimes, there's good in goodbye." Nicole smiled at Yongguk, as she lifted up her left hand showing him the ring, "I found someone who makes me happy."