Chapter 1

Fortuious You

The cold, harsh wind from the metallic air-conditioners chilled me to the core. Some swept past me to envelope the stiff-faced executives seated behind the long table covered in deep red velvet. I was shivering lightly yet there was not a trace of any other emotion etched on the faces of 2 females and 3 males in front of her.

A stiff, hopefully professional smile was plastered on my face. Examining the executives’ faces, I could conclude that she would most probably not land the job. The harsh whispers that invaded my ears as they discussed my resume fed my anxiety and dismay.

Finally, they seemed to reach a conclusion as they looked up, their steely gazes locked on me. I gulped. The lady on the farthest end of the table smiled encouragingly at me, “Thank you for your time. We will get back to you.”

I groaned inwardly at yet another failure but maintained my professional smile on her face. I nodded good-heartedly and left quickly. Tears pricked my eyes but they were forced down. Why cry over something as trivial as this?

Muttering to myself, I exited the building, pulling out a checklist I had come up with, “Didn’t sit with back straight all the time, che-” My meagre pile of papers took to the air as I crashed into something hard, maybe a wall. I distinctly remembered a scent that made my head swim enter my nose.

My arms reeled in the air in an attempt to grab something to stop my fall. Just my luck, the purple heels encasing my feet chose this time to break. My head naturally tilted to the compact cement ground below, watching as it closed in on me.

What an unlucky day…

A split second later, however, a pair of arms caught me. “Woah, are you okay? I’m so sorry,” a person apologised, as he helped me into an upright position. My head snapped to him, wanting to thank my saviour but my breath got caught in my throat.

At least there’s him to brighten my day.

I thought vaguely, frozen as he bend down to help me pick up my papers. Taking a second, I examined him. He obviously worked out a lot.

I snapped out of my daze, straightening my attire out before bending down to pick my papers up as well. Our gazes locked as we stood up, mine fell first.

My cheeks were reddening. I just hoped that he would think it was of embarrassment. “Didn’t sit with back straight all the time.” My face coloured even more as I snatched my pile of papers from his hands. I bowed in thanks, wanting to get away as soon as possible from the embarrassment.

I took a step past him, only to fall right back into those arm that caught me once and that absolutely heavenly scent. I took a deep breath, feeling somewhat disappointed as I stood back up. Ah, I forgot that my heels had broken.

I whipped out my trusty repair kit, a long strip of masking tape rolled onto a straw. The masking tape was unwound and used to hold the broken heel in place. It would last until I got home. Standing back up, I thanked the guy again and left.


I decided to split this oneshot into a few chapters. I originally planned for it to be a oneshot but realised that it was way too long. There is no confirmed length for a oneshot but it's my preference.

Let me emphasize that this is a short fic so don't complain about the length of it. XP