Romeo & Juliet Act One

Puzzle (APPLY!)

Sorry if my descriptions aren’t all that good, and if there’s too much dialogue… I’m trying to figure out how to convert it from a play to a story, I’ll get it figured out though, no need to worry…

---

ACT I 

SCENE I

The day was like any other in the town of Verona, Korea. The streets were sparkling from the sun’s playful rays and the birds were singing a merry tune. The sky was a breathtaking sapphire blue with white cotton clouds dispersed intermittently in its depths…and, of course, shouted insults could be heard from the streets. Yes, it was just an average day.

Why the shouting? Well…let’s take this from the beginning, shall we?

Two men, of the house of Kim were walking down one of fair Verona’s streets. One was carrying an iPod, the other a portable music device. Let’s take a listen, shall we?

***********

“…I’m just saying, that I wouldn’t let anyone make a fool of me, YeSung” the man carrying the iPod said.

“I know you wouldn’t HeeChul-hyung, you do a good enough job by yourself. You don’t need any help” YeSung replied with a smirk. The older man rolled his eyes and scoffed.

“At least I don’t offer myself up as a sacrificial lamb to the insults of those bloody Lees”

YeSung grimaced a little.

“That was one time, ONE TIME! I swear and it’s not like I knew anyone would find out!” He said in defense.

“Yeah, because puppy dog boxers are SOO common” HeeChul retorted with a bored voice. Suddenly a girl with long brown hair turned the corner and started down the street. Her hazel eyes were burring with an as yet unknown emotion. HeeChul and YeSung tensed up.

“Speak of the devil…” YeSung whispered.

“…and she will appear” HeeChul finished.

The girl was getting closer and closer to the two men. When she was within earshot HeeChul began his verbal attack.

‘So, Shin Lyssa, how’s hell doing without its leader.”

Lyssa turned to glare at him. If looks could kill, HeeChul and half of his family would be six feet under the ground.

“Are you TRYING to piss me off girly man?” She said, venom dripping from every word.

HeeChul tried to look as innocent as possible. “No, why would you say that, my dear sweet She-Devil”

Lyssa’s glare increased in intensity. “It could be the fact that in the past week you’ve called me a sheep, a chicken, a female dog, a spec of dust, feces and the ever-so famous ‘Devil’

HeeChul’s eye’s lit-up mischievously before he spoke “I was just stating fact, Milady”

“Why you little @#%^&!@%^&%# I Should ^#&@*#^(@#  Your Mother’s a #&*$(#)#” Lyssa’s voice was piercing as the endless stream of profanities continued on. HeeChul decided it wasn’t fair to let her have all the fun and so joined in too and YeSung looked the whole situation over and jumped in with a few insult of his own.

SungMin was just enjoying the feel of the pleasant spring breeze when something most unpleasant reached his ears and ruined his walk.

“Don’t you call me that; you’re the one who smells of dirty socks!”

“Do Not!”

“DO TOO.”

“#%^@&*#^ #^@&(&@# and &*(@# and #@)@# SO THERE!”

A frown formed on his face, he knew those voices, and they belonged to Shin Lyssa, Kim HeeChul and Kim YeSung. And according to the prince, Park LeeTeuk, those three were breaking the law! He needed to stop this.

“Hey, hey, hey people, cease and desist! This is wrong this…” he began but was soon cut off by none other than Kim KangIn.

“Well, well, so like you SungMin, to pretend that you can just tell everyone what to do, you disgust me you pig!” KangIn crossed his arms as if daring the other to answer him back.

“Whatever KangIn, but we need to get these people to stop, LeeTeuk will be pissed.” SungMin said, dismissing the other’s insults

“Why would I work with someone whose cousin is an uous freak of nature?” KangIn asked cocking an eyebrow.

Anger quickly contorted SungMin’s face; he could handle a lot, but not an attack on family.

“Well at least I’m not the one with a cousin who cross-dresses” SungMin quickly retorted

…And the rest is too rude for me to tell you. However, soon the street was full of insults flying left and right, till a loud scream made it way over the din.

“IF I HEAR ONE MORE ‘&*@(#’ YOU’LL ALL BECOME SEWAGE WORKERS!” the voice of Park LeeTeuk screamed

Silence fell over the street.

“Good, now go back to work or home or wherever. And if you Lees and Kims start another pointless, stupid fight I will have to punish you.” LeeTeuk then walked back to his house with a regal stride, No one dared tell him, but his t-shirt was tucked into his underwear and everyone could see the little crowns on his boxers.

Cho Mai and Lee Nona approached SungMin as the streets began to empty.

“Hey Oppa, That was one hell of a fight, who started it?” The girl with black hair and sparkling eyes asked as she pulled SungMin into a side hug.

“I think it was HeeChul, YeSung and Lyssa…but I can’t be sure.” he replied with an exhausted sigh. He was disappointed in himself. How could he be a peacemaker when he joined in the fight himself? But at the same time, KangIn went too far and he hated it when people insulted his family. “But then, as I’m sure you heard, LeeTeuk came and put an end to it.”

“Yeah, him and his royal boxers,” Nona said with a grin and put her arm around SungMin’s shoulder, sandwiching him between Mai and herself. “Oh, hey have you seen DongHae today, Minnie?” Nona inquired in a worried tone.

“Yeah, I did, earlier this morning I saw him in the park… I think he saw me too because he ran to hid in the bushes not to long afterward- I hope he knows that there’s poison ivy back there- but I figured he just wanted to be left alone… so I left him there…” SungMin replied, but the evil smirk on his face indicated that he wasn’t upset about his cousin’s future predicament.

Nona sighed and a look of concern crossed Mai’s face.

“He’s been spending a lot of time there lately…I wonder if everything’s alright.” Nona nodded in agreement with her cousin.

“He didn’t even tell you, Nona?” SungMin asked, surprised.

“No, he didn’t… You’d think he’d tell his twin.” She pouted a little and then turned to face SungMin.

“SuungMinnie - Oppa??” she called sweetly, batting her eyelashes.

“Yessss, Nona?” he replied, imitating her and batting his eyelashes as well.

“Could you find out what’s wrong with my twin? I sense something fishy a foot.” She said, dropping the useless cutesy act, she had forgotten that SungMin’s middle name was cute.

“Sure thing Coz, I’ll figure out what’s wrong with him, don’t you worry a bit!”

“Thank You!!!” Nona exclaimed and hugged SungMin tightly before she and Mai ran off to who-knows-where, most likely to do some evil plotting.

**********

DongHae’s face was twisted into a frown. He sighed as he picked at the daisy he was holding. His thoughts were with his one and only love, who would never accept him.

“Could the sky really be so beautiful when I’m so sad?” He thought out loud.

“And why are you so sad?” The familiar voice of DongHae’s cousin, SungMin asked.

“Because, I’ve been bitten and infected by something that makes people sad.” DongHae replied sadly.

“Oh there were bugs in that bush you hid in too?” SungMin said surprised.

“No, just Poison Ivy; I’m talking in the figurative sense SungMin” DongHae replied, slightly confused.

“Ohh, so you’re in love, are you?” SungMin’s tone was full of understanding with a hint of skepticism.

“Yes, I am. But it’s one sided.” DongHae sighed again.

“Who wouldn’t love you?” his cousin asked in honest curiosity

“Ah, well, you see…I’m in love with a man.” DongHae looked up to see what SungMin’s reaction was and while he was waiting sat down on the bench that was near them.

SungMin sat down next to him and sighed. “Why am I not surprised.” then after further thought SungMin added. “It’s EunHyuk isn’t it?”

DongHae did a faux swoon at the name. “But he will ne’re return my love, for he….is not gay.”

“Are you sure you’re gay and not biual? Last week you were fawning all over that chick at that one party… I don’t think you’re gay.” SungMin said in all seriousness.

“That may be true, but still, my one true love, the one I will love forever and a day, is a man, so does it really matter?” DongHae said turning to look at his blond cousin.

“Eh, I guess not.” SungMin said shrugging his shoulders.

“By the way, was that my twin who was here just a minute ago?” DongHae asked, changing the subject from his uality to something he thought to be equally interesting.

“Yes, it was. Nona’s worried about you. I think she thought that you were in that fight today,” SungMin stood up again and stretched.

“Ugh, don’t tell me there was another fight! That’s so stupid! Why can’t everyone just get over themselves and get along?” DongHae’s disgust was evident.

“I don’t know. But such is life, Hey KyuHyun’s coming by my place later today, we should hang out, maybe we can get you out of this emotional down.” SungMin patted his cousin on the back and then walked off.

********************

SCENE II

The Kim’s Restaurant was a glow with excitement, tonight there would be a costume party in honor of the arrival of spring. The smell coming from the kitchen was heavenly.

Omoni was a larger lady with a pleasant smile, she was the owner of the restaurant, and the surrogate mother of all the Kim family and their friends the Han family and the young Choi SiWon.

Omoni and SiWon were discussing the events of the previous day…

**********

“I don’t know, I think the Kims and the Lees just need some bond, maybe some of the youngin’s will start dating and this pointless feud will end!” Omoni said with a hint of frustration in her voice.

“Which youngin’ do you think would be willing to date something they found so utterly repulsive?” SiWon retorted.

“Well I don’t know about that… You know that EunHyuk boy? I saw him carry some old ladies groceries across the street the other day; he seems like a nice boy.” Her grin was genuine as she spoke this.

“Are you sure he wasn’t stealing them?” SiWon asked with a raised eyebrow. Omoni glared playfully at him and gave him a light slap on the arm. SiWon ducked and smiled a childish grin which was accompanied by two dimples.

Henry walked into the kitchen and Omoni smiled a motherly smile at him.

“Henry dear, do you think you could pass these fliers out to the people on the street?” She said handing him a stack of yellow papers. He nodded and took the papers with him as he walked back out of the kitchen.

“Come on, HanGeng, Miyu, RyeoWook, SiWon! We’ve got work to do!” Omoni said turning her attention back to the stove to finish up her masterpiece.

**********

Henry wandered down the familiar street of Verona handing the fliers to everyone he saw, but being sure to avoid friends and family of those loathsome Lees. Not that Henry really had anything against them but his Hyungs told him to stay away from them, so he did without question. A strong breeze took one of the yellow papers out of the slightly distracted Henry’s hand and started it on its journey to change the fate of the town forever…

**********

“What the-?” DongHae said, peeling the bright yellow thing that had just attacked him away from his face.

“What’s that?” SungMin asked curiously gazing over DongHae’s shoulder

The paper read:

‘To one and all
A spring feast ball
Is held this night
At the end of winters blight
If ye be brave
And promise to behave
You may come to this masked revelry
Where every one in costumes twill be
So wear a mask,
That’s all we ask.
Omoni’s Spring Feast!
March 21st, 2011 7:00PM @ Omoni’s Diner
Bring a friend!
And be prepared to sing and dance!’

“Hmm that sounds fun!” SungMin exclaimed as he finished reading the advertisement.

“Sound’s lame to me, plus you know that Omoni’s Diner is a Kim family hangout” DongHae said scrunching the paper up.

“But it’s a costume party! No one will know! We can go and have fun, sing karaoke and forget all or problems, and maybe it’ll help you forget EunHyuk-Hyung, what do you say?” SungMin bounced up and down as he was saying this.

“…No.” DongHae replied simply.

“Fine. When I tell KyuHyun he’ll help me MAKE you come, you’ll see…and if that doesn’t work I’ll recruit Nona too.”

DongHae shivered at the thought of Nona being involved.

“Fine, fine, whatever, I’ll go!” DongHae exclaimed and proceeded to be dragged off to KyuHyun’s by SungMin.

********************

SCENE III

Back in the restaurant Kim HyoLi and Omoni were working on the desserts while Miyu and the boys were setting up the decorations for the party.

**********

Omoni took a sideways glance at the pretty petit girl next to her, there had been something that she had been itching to ask all day and now she finally had the chance too.

“HyoLi Honey, are you dating anyone?” She asked as inconspicuously as possible as HyoLi was icing one of the many cakes.

“No.” HyoLi answered simply, focused completely on the cake in front of her.

“Are there any boys you like?” Omoni pressed further.

“Nope, none.” The girl answered, unaffected by the questions.

Omoni was unsatisfied by these answers and so decided to take a different approach:

“I worry about you, being an only child and all. Don’t you ever get lonely?”

“Why would I get lonely? My cousins won’t leave me alone!” HyoLi answered as she washed the chocolate icing off the spatula and prepared to start icing the vanilla cake with the lemon icing, she never looked up at Omoni.

The older woman was started to get frustrated, this wasn’t going as she had intended. So she figured being blunt would be best.

“I sent a special invitation to Lee EunHyuk...” She said trailing off.

“Oh that’s int- What is that supposed to mean?” HyoLi said looking up from her work for the first time.

“Well, you know I think he’s a nice boy, he’s half Park you know, the prince’s Aunt is his mother…and well…just be nice to the boy will you?” Omoni pleaded.

“I’ll think about it, if he says anything to me it’s not like I’ll scream in his face or anything. BUT-” She pointed her spatula at Omoni in a threatening gesture, “I don’t like where this conversation was leading, I’ll date when I want to date and no sooner!”

Omoni frowned a little but as soon as HyoLi turned back to her work she grinned. ‘This is going to be a piece of cake!’ she thought putting her hand to rest on the counter, then jumping back a little when she realized she just put her hand in the cake batter.

********************

SCENE IV

The stars twinkled in the night sky above fair Verona’s streets on the night of the intended party. It was as if the stars themselves were pleased with the events that were about to take place. But as the clock tower struck 7PM a dark ominous cloud covered the moon…

NAH! Just kidding, it WAS a pretty night though, and three young men were enjoying the pleasantness of it. 

**********

KyuHyun, DongHae and SungMin made their way down to the Diner.

KyuHyun was wearing a vampire cape and wearing fake pointy teeth with fake blood dripping down his face. DongHae was dressed as a prince with a shiny crown. And SungMin was in a pink bunny suit… All were wearing corresponding masks as well, so that they wouldn’t be recognized by the Kims that would most assuredly be there.

“So guys are you sure no one will recognize us? Verona is a pretty small place; a lot of people don’t even think it exists!” DongHae asked worried.

“YES for the ‘nth time DongHae, no one will know and even if they do it’s not like the advertisement said ‘NO LEES’” SungMin said, exasperated, and rolled his eyes as DongHae took out the invitation to check.

“Well, whatever, I’m not gonna do anything anyway, I’m just gonna eat and leave” DongHae sighed defeated.

“Oh come on, that’s no way to party, you have to dance a little, dude” KyuHyun eyes glinted mischievously, mirroring the stars above.

“I’m too sad to, I can’t even imagine it…plus I didn’t bring the right shoes!” DongHae said looking at his golden ‘princely’ shoes.

“Are you SURE he’s not a girl?” KyuHyun said in a faux whisper to SungMin.

“No I’m not, but I’d rather believe he isn’t.” SungMin replied in a similar stage whisper.

DongHae just glared at his cousin and his friend. “Well, if you want to know the truth…I…I had a bad dream” DongHae said sheepishly.

KyuHyun and SungMin gave each other amused looks and then KyuHyun spoke.

“Well you know what they say about dreamers.” He said.

“No, what?” DongHae questioned.

“That dreamers often lie.” KyuHyun’s smirk was unmistakably playful and yet somehow evil at the same time

“Yes, in bed asleep as they do dream things true!” DongHae retorted.

KyuHyun smirked and began to speak:

(WARNING: the following speech comes straight from Shakespeare and isn't supposed to make any sense... but I love it anyway, if you want you can just skip it)

“O, then, I see Queen Mab hath been with you
She is the fairies’ midwife, and she comes
In shape no bigger than an agate-stone
On the fore-finger of an alderman,
Drawn with a team of little atomies
Athwart men’s noses as they lie asleep:
Her waggon-spokes made of long spinners’ legs;
The cover, of the wings of grasshoppers;
Her traces, of the smallest spider’s web;
Her collars, of the moonshine’s watery beams;
Her whip, of cricket’s bone; the lash, of film;
Her waggoner, a small grey-coated gnat,
Not half so big as a round little worm
Prick’d from the lazy finger of a maid:
Her chariot is an empty hazel-nut,
Made by the joiner squirrel or old grub,
Time out o’ mind the fairies’ coachmakers.
And in this state she gallops night by night
Through lovers’ brains, and then they dream of love;
O’er courtiers’ knees, that dream on court’sies straight;
O’er lawyers’ fingers, who straight dream on fees;
O’er ladies’ lips, who straight on kisses dream,
Which oft the angry Mab with blisters plagues,
Because their breaths with sweetmeats tainted are:
Sometimes she gallops o’er a courtier’s nose,
And then dreams he of smelling out a suit;
And sometime comes she with a tithe-pig’s tail
Tickling a parson’s nose as a’ lies asleep,
Then dreams he of another benefice:
Sometime she driveth o’er a soldier’s neck,
And then dreams he of cutting foreign throats,
Of breaches, ambuscades, Spanish blades,
Of healths five fathom deep; and then anon
Drums in his ear, at which he starts and wakes,
And being thus frighted swears a prayer or two,
And sleeps again. This is that very Mab
That plats the manes of horses in the night,
And bakes the elf-locks in foul tish hairs
Which once untangled much misfortune bodes:
This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs,
That presses them and learns them first to bear,
Making them women of good carriage:
This is she-“

“Dude, what the heck are you saying?” DongHae asked, interrupting KyuHyun’s unintelligible speech. Both he and SungMin were staring at their hyung in great confusion.

KyuHyun blinked a few times “I really don’t know…it just sort of came out”

“Well we better get going, crazy man.” SungMin said and they made their way to the party, post-haste. [^.-] 

********************

SCENE V

The diner was alive with the sound of music, literally. From all over town people could hear the bass of the techno-pop songs; this was going to be one awesome party!

**********

Omoni grinned as she saw the young people of Verona all dancing and laughing and having a good time, she thought back to the times when she herself would have been out among them, dancing with the boys and acting like a fool with her friends…but that was ten years ago. She stopped and paused in shock, had it really been that long since she had been a teenager? She paused and checked a mirror for winkles and sighed as she though of how silly she was being. Being old wasn’t a bad thing, lots of people managed to do just fine when they hit thirty and so would she. She shook the thought and contented herself by looking out again at all of those dear young people having a good time.

***********

DongHae’s eyes were glued to the petite girl in the middle of the room who was dancing with a man who was dressed as a knight. She was wearing a purple princess dress and smiling a breathtaking smile. Through her mask he could see that she had green eyes.

He grabbed a random person and asked. “What’s the name of the princess dancing with the knight?’

KangIn, the man who DongHae had grabbed, looked over and saw what he was talking about and growled inwardly. “That’s Kim HyoLi, you touch her I break your face.”

DongHae didn’t mark that last bit though, he was too distracted by her name… HyoLi, it was the most beautiful name he had ever heard Kim Hyo- Wait, he thought to him self KIM? Oh why does life hate me! He looked back to the girl and shook the unpleasant thought. He’d never seen anything as beautiful before.

KangIn walked over to Omoni and was livid.

“Dear, what’s wrong?” Omoni asked sweetly, concern laced in her every word.

“There’s a bloody LEE here” he said with an angry frown.

Omoni looked around she saw EunHyuk, and then something else caught her eye, a pink bunny talking to a prince…if she wasn’t mistaken, that pink bunny was Lee SungMin and the Prince was Lee DongHae. They obviously were trying to disguise themselves, but did a horrible job of it; they were all wearing the same Halloween costumes that they wore for trick-or-treating last year. She giggled a little.

“Well, they are behaving, so be a good boy and let them be will you?” She said sweetly.

“But-!” KangIn began to protest.

“No! No buts, let them be, this is MY restaurant Kim KangIn and I make the rules, do you understand?” Omoni’s voice was strict and left no room for argument.

“Yes Ma’am” KangIn pouted, he resembled a puppy dog with its tail tucked between its legs. Inside his head, though, there was a resounding thought ‘This isn’t over yet.’

HyoLi was getting herself a drink of punch when DongHae came over. He was nervous, very nervous, but if he didn’t act now, he might never get another chance!

So he grabbed her hand.

“Excuse Me??” HyoLi exclaimed turning around to look at the person who just violated her personal bubble.

“I-I wanna dance with you.” The boy said quickly. For all that he had a mask on HyoLi could tell that he was handsome and he was obviously nervous (for one thing his hand was sweaty) so she decided to pity him and she smiled as she nodded her head in agreement.

The smile that spread over DongHae’s face made HyoLi’s heart beat faster. ‘That’s one heck of a smile’ she thought to herself and they proceeded to dance.

“You’re really pretty.” DongHae said lamely, like a kindergartener with his first crush.

“Oh, you’ll have to think of something better than that.” HyoLi smirked as DongHae twirled her.

“You teach the torches to burn bright.” He said smiling down at her. “I ne’er saw true beauty till this night” He said kissing her hand.

HyoLi blushed a little, but didn’t want to be so easily won and so she spoke again.

“You kiss by the book, but it sounds like you also get your pick-up lines from a book” She said with a playful smirk.

DongHae just grinned.

Omoni called out for HyoLi over the loud speaker and HyoLi curtsied, very much like unto a princess, and DongHae returned it with a princely bow of his own.

“Yes Omoni?” HyoLi asked, flushed.

“I just wanted to let you know that you were dancing with a Lee.” Omoni said simply, but her smile was one of mischievousness and evil glee.

“I WAS DOING WHAT??!?!?!!” HyoLi screeched.

Omoni covered her ears and flinched.

“That young man, he’s Lee DongHae. He’s handsome, isn’t he?”

HyoLi just blushed and looked away but inside her head she thought, ‘Oh great, my only love is my only hate, well isn’t that just peachy.”