Let's Live Happily Forever...

평생 행복하게 살자

 

Kai and Lee Taemin sat near the river in front of a mini-market they used to go to after school to share stories. especially to hear Kai telling about how annoyed he is with Yoona who comes over to his place everyday like it's her own. his parents don't seem to mind having Yoona visiting their house, because they thought she's an adorable and bubbly girl who respect elders. but Kai isn't very pleased with all that.
 
"Kai-ya, why are you distance yourself from that noona?" Taemin, one of Kai's most trustworthy friend a.k.a best friend, asked him while drinking his yoghurt drink.
 
Kai gulped down his own drink and answered, "I'm just uncomfortable with it. she's a noona but acts like a 5 year old. she's 23!"
 
"but I think.... Yoona noona is pretty and cute,"
 
"then you be me"
 
Taemin hissed. "ya, if it works that way, I'd be happy to be you. to have someone who cares so much about me. how can I not happy?"
 
"happy, my foot. there's no good thing about someone who cares too much"
 
"but still, she likes you a lot, Kai"
 
Kai didn't answer. he thought of something. "we're alike, aren't we? you can be me, for a day"
 
"what? I wasn't serious.. and besides, we're not that alike. we aren't twins"
 
"I mean, just hang out with her for a day. you'll feel how it's like to be me"
 
"I can do that?"
 
"sure" Kai said as he gulped down all his yoghurt drinks.
 
 
 
"eomma, I'm home. Taemin is here, too" Kai said, as he changed his shoes to home slippers, followed by Taemin who is a regular guest of Kai's house after Yoona.
 
"Kai-ya, you're home? Taemin you're here, too?" Mrs. Kim greeted them.
 
"yes, ajummeoni" Taemin bowed a little bit.
 
"you two play in Kai's room, I'll prepare lunch"
 
"okay. thank you, eomma" Kai said before he led the way to his room.
 
as soon as they were in Kai's room, Taemin put down his bag on the floor. "ya.. this hanok is no joke. your rich family like living here, instead of those huge houses in Seoul?"
 
"my dad doesn't really like to be in Seoul. it's a busy city. and hanok is fun to live in"
 
"oh, I can understand that. my dad goes to Seoul almost everyday, and came home with a headache" Taemin laughed, and then Kai laughed too.
 
while they were laughing, Yoona slowly opened Kai's room and bobbed her head in.
 
"oh?!" Taemin jumped out of shock as he saw only a head on the sliding door.
 
Kai turned arround and saw Yoona. "noona, just come in" he turned into the cold Kai.
 
"can I?" Yoona's head dissapeared, then she opened the door and went in. "Kai-ya, aren't you hungry? you just came home, didn't you? let's go eat!"
 
"noona, shouldn't you be in Seoul?"
 
Yoona smiled and ruffled his hair. "I always spare my time to visit you. I'm sooo tired learning, but when I see you, I feel like I got my strength back"
 
"noona, stop with the nonsense" Kai said as he moved Yoona's hand from his hair. his words crossed the line this time.
 
Yoona's smile faded in a second, but then she smiled again. "I know, I should stop talking, right? I forgot how hungry you are. I'll help ajumma set the table, okay? I'll be right back!" Yoona walks out from his room without a single damn was given by Kai.
 
"you're so lucky... she didn't even see me. I'm envious" Taemin said as he watched Yoona.
 
"what's there to be envious at?"
 
"if I were you, I'll be good to her. you were really harsh to someone who is older than you"
 
"who cares? now let's go eat"
 
 
 
Yoona is helping Mrs. Kim setting the table for Taemin and Kai. even though she put up a smile on her face while helping out, inside, she's actually feeling a bit down. Yoona is patient enough to hear all those cold words from Kai. she may pretend to not notice all those words, but she's suffering on the inside, about how much Kai hated her now. even so, her feelings for him is sincere.
 
"Yoona-ya," Mrs. Kim called, while serving the soup on the table.
 
"yes, ajumma?"
 
"you don't have to come here everyday now that you live in Seoul"
 
"it's okay, ajumma"
 
"it's great to have you here once in a while, but your education is more important. our Kai..."
 
"what about Kai?"
 
"he is not a kid anymore"
 
Yoona had known this for a long time. since the time her family moved to Seoul when she entered high school. it was all because of her kept going to Kai's. his family welcomed her, but her family don't, because they believe that rich people could not be trusted. that's why they don't want Yoona to be attached to Kai so much.
 
"noona, you're still here? don't you have class?" Kai asked as he and Taemin approached the dining room.
 
"class is boring. I'd rather stay here helping ajumma" Yoona cling her arms onto Mrs. Kim's.
 
"Kai, be nice. she's our guest, too" Mrs. Kim said. "be happy that she could visit you here" 
 
suddenly, Yoona's phone rang. her happy expression changed into a serious one. "I have to answer this"
 
Mrs. Kim motioned her to go ahead and answer the phone. after Yoona went outside, and Mrs. Kim went to the kitchen, Taemin pinched Kai's arm.
 
"ouch! ya! what was that for?"
 
"you're such a jerk, you know that? even your mom agrees. I bet if you don't see her in a long time you'll suffer the most"
 
"I don't care"
 
"where's ajumma?" Yoona asked, as she finished talking with the person on the phone. "can you tell her I have to go back to Seoul immidiately? I'm in a hurry" she took her bag lying on the floor and wore her shoes in a rush.
 
"where are you going, Yoona?" Mrs. Kim asked as she saw Yoona was going to leave.
 
"I'm sorry, ajumma. I have to go back to Seoul now. Kai-ya, I'll visit you again tomorrow, okay?"
 
"you shouldn't have come on the first place" Kai said while drinking his soup. Taemin glared at him, how can he said that to the innocent Yoona?
 
Yoona didn't reply, she bit her lip. "good bye," Yoona went out from the house and rushed to her car. she seems like she was really in a hurry, so Mrs. Kim let her go.
 
"ya!" Taemin raised his voice to Kai. he doesn't care if Mrs. Kim is still there. he couldn't hold back to lecture him. he's just going too far!
 
#flashback 10 years ago#
"hi," a cute girl with a doe-like eyes reached out to shake Kim Jongin's hand. "my name is Im Yoona. and you?"
 
"Kai"
 
"nice to meet you! I hope we can be great neighbours in the future!"
 
Kai shyly nodded. he was a very shy little boy who knew nobody in the outskirt pf Seoul.
 
soon, they became friends. from just friends, became best friend. but that was the end of the fun they had.
 
Yoona entered High School, and since then she got busy. preparing assignments, homeworks, exams, and also deciding what faculty she should take in college. there are so many things to do that she couldn't visit Kai often. which made him upset.
 
Kai entered High School, whilst Yoona had to move to Seoul because she got accepted at a university there. he took a part-time job and continue his studies. he seems like he was matured early, but he still has the childish thing deep inside.
#flashback end#
 
 
***
 
 
it's been a few days Kai didn't hear Yoona's child-like voice and see Yoona's ramyun hair. it's been 2 weeks since Yoona had to left in a hurry. strangely, it was also the last time Taemin visited. after Taemin spent his weekend in Seoul, he was like a walking corpse. refused to do anything, even buy some snacks at their favorite mini-market. Kai wondered what's gotten into him.
 
actually, without Yoona arround, Kai was often moody. he's got nothing to do. Mrs. Kim doesn't prepare as many lunch as when Yoona visited. his life is getting boring without her arround. it seems like there is a part of him that is empty.
 
 
 
"ya, what's with you these days? something wrong?" Kai met Taemin on the corridor.
 
"nothing" Taemin walked pass him.
 
"ya, do you know that Yoona noona hasn't visited since the last time you came over?"
 
Taemin turned to him. "is that so? you must be very happy" he replied sarcastically.
 
"not really. I'm getting bored. but I'm gonna used to it soon"
 
Taemin sighed heavily. "you better get used to it.." and he continued walking.
 
"ya, what are you upsetting about?"
 
Taemin waved his hand, without turning his back, as if saying 'nevermind'.
 
"what's wrong with that kid?"
 
 
 
"I'm home" Kai changed his shoes to slippers. today at school wasn't very fun. it was boring! so many assignments from the teacher, and Taemin is still like a walking corpse, yet he still thought of what happened to him when he went to Seoul. maybe a day in Seoul corrupted him? and also, Yoona hasn't comtacted any of his family. he was sick of her, but now he's getting worried. what if something bad happened that day when she hurriedly return to Seoul?
 
"Kai-ya, you're home? have a seat" Mrs. Kim said as she motioned her only son to sit down on the cushion.
 
"what is it, eomma?"
 
"how was school today?"
 
"it was just like usual.. nothing much. although Taemin is like a walking corpse and refuse to talk to me"
 
"he did?" his mom form a bitter smile.
 
"eomma, what is this?" he asked, noticed that there was a huge box wrapped with a gold cloth on the table.
 
"ah, this?" Mrs. Kim took a deep breath. "it's a present"
 
"present?" Kai untie the cloth wrapping the box(es). "wow, rice cakes!" he said, sounds excited. he removed the top box full of rice cakes. "I think it's for eomma and appa" he took out the box. "it's for me!" Kai opened the box, and saw an old photo of him and Yoona when they were little. he frowned. "eomma, whom are these from?"
 
"Yoona," Mrs. Kim said quietly. "her brother came by this morning"
 
"but what are these for? why did she send it to us?"
 
Mrs. Kim gave Kai a card.
 
it was a letter:
 
          I would like to thank you, and I'm sorry. I have to take care of some things, so I couldn't go there and give the presents myself. as a conclusion, I asked oppa to send these to your house which showed my gratitude towards your family. ajussi, ajumma, and Kai too, take care :)
 
"there's another letter adressed to you" Mrs. Kim handed over the other letter.
 
          dear kkamjong,
I haven't call you kkamjong in ages, right? I guess you might be confused and still couldn't get it, don't you? or, maybe Taemin has told you? or not yet?
the thing is, I'm leaving tomorrow. I don't know when I'll be back. maybe I will never come back to Korea. thank you for those memories you gave me as a child. I'd cherish those days when you were such a cute little kkamjong :)
 
tears formed on Kai's eyes as he read the last paragraph.
 
          I like you, I've always did. even when we were young and close, when you didn't understand about love. and I'm sure now you don't, either. I just want to let you know that.
 
Kai left the letter and ran outside with his slippers. he ran to Taemin's house. as soon as he arrived, he didn't even greet Mrs. Lee and just ran to Taemin's room, forcefully open the door.
 
"what are you..." before Taemin could finish a sentence, Kai approached him and grab his collar.
 
"you! you knew Yoona noona was leaving, don't you?! it's the reason why you're like a walking dead person these days?!"
 
"let go," Taemin snatched Kai's hand away from his collar. "so you knew already"
 
#flashback 3 days ago#
Taemin went to Seoul during weekends. his cousin, Lee Jinki asked him to come and help him to take care of his passport, because he's going to study abroad in 2 months.
 
"hyuuung.." Taemin whined. he and Jinki had been waiting for hours to get the procedure done.
 
"I know, Taemin... I'm tired as well" Jinki yawned.
 
"why do you need me for? I'd rather stay home and play video games"
 
"I just need someone to accompany me... I said I'll treat you something delicious after this, don't worry"
 
"I'm soo bored" Taemin rested his chin with his hand. he looked arround to see if there's anything worth to look at. his eyes found a tall figure whose ramyun hair seems familiar. she's lookimg through the documents on her hand. he raised his head up as he remembered that figure.  "wait a sec, hyung. I'll be right back" Taemin left Jinki and approached the woman. "excuse me..."
 
Yoona turned to him, she was surprised, but then a smile curved on her lips. "Taemin? Kai's friend?"
 
"yes..." he shyly answered.
 
"what are you doing here?"
 
"my cousin needs me to accompany him. he's going to study abroad"
 
"0h, really?"
 
"noona, too, seems like noona will be going somewhere, too"
 
"ah, me? I... uh.... uhm, no. I just make passport just in case I'll be taking an overseas trip"
 
"oh, I see.." Taemin nodded. he don't know how, and why, he felt like there's a doubt on Yoona's answer. but he didn't mind it much.
 
"oh, it's my turn now," Yoona said as she saw her number on the huge digital clock on the wall. "I gotta go. see you arround" she waved at Taemin and ran to the table.
 
as soon as Taemin goes back to his seat with Jinki, his cousin asked him questions. "who's that? she's very pretty. you two seems close. are you two close? how can you know someone so pretty? can you introduce me to her?"
 
"hyung!"
 
"what?"
 
"slowly. she's Kai's childhood friend, but she's older. she's in college now. I'm not really close to her, but she has a friendly attitude. and no, I can't introdice you to her"
 
"why... she's totally my style"
 
"she loves someone else" Taemin said. he knew who Yoona really care about.
 
"who?"
 
"it's a secret"
 
"hmm..." Jinki whined. "hey, is she going somewhere?"
 
"no, I don't think so. she said she made passport just in case she'll be going on an overseas trip. I think she's not going abroad for the time being. why?"
 
"is that so? I heard a university beside the university I studied at, opened a scholarship to study in the US"
 
"really? where is that?"
 
"Hanguk? I'm not sure. but it's only for those who majored at Interior Designing"
 
"Interior Design?" Kai once told him that Yoona studied Interior Designing at Hanguk University. he also said that she's a bright student. no way... "Yoona noona is a Hanguk University student! on that faculty!" Taemin finally realized.
 
"really? then she must be going to the US next week"
 
"next week?!" he raised his tone.
 
"ya, keep it down, will you? people are staring"
 
Taemin had to ask for the truth straight from Yoona. is it true that she will leave Korea to study? why? is it because of Kai? if so, Kai is going waaay to far! "noona," Taemin stopped Yoona from going out from the building.
 
"what is it?" she asked, cluelessly.
 
"are you going to US? next week?"
 
it was a long silent between them. Yoona cover her face with her hand.
 
"well?"
 
Yoona finally looked up. "yes"
 
they went to a more comfortable place to talk. "why didn't you tell Kai?"
 
"I wasn't sure if I'm accepted for the scholarship program. the annoucement was that day, when you came over to Kai's house"
 
"noona, too... you know if Kai sort of hate your presence, right?"
 
"I'm aware of that. and, I have a favor to ask you"
 
"what is it?"
 
"keep this a secret from Kai. don't even say about we met like this"
 
"I got it, noona. but why?"
 
"I won't be going there for a couple of days, or maybe after I left"
#flashback end#
 
"why didn't you tell me earlier, idiot?!" Kai raised his voice.
 
"she told me not to. and besides, what is it to you that now she's going to leave and wont be coming back? I thought you hated her!"
 
Kai realized that he was such a jerk to Yoona. all this time, all she want is to be near him, but he always ignore her. she did her best to set aside time to visit him. he didn't realize that all those nonsense sayings about her feelings were sincere.
 
 
***
 
 
"is everything set?" Im Seulong, Yoona's brother asked as he saw Yoona stared blankly at her now empty apartment. she had to clean up because her brother is going to live there now.
 
"aww, don't be so sad..." Seulong wrapped his arms arround Yoona who is now seems down. "everything will work out great for you.."
 
now, that isn't what Yoona is worrying about. she was worried about Kai. she was really worried that she thought of not getting on board on the last minutes. she really want to see Kai for one last time.
 
 
 
Mr. & Mrs. Im, along with Seulong took Yoona to the airport. Mrs. Im could not let go of Yoona when they hugged. Yoona, too, couldn't let go of her mother she loved the most. after saying goodbye, she went to the check-in line, as she waved to her family. she still hoped Kai to show up, before she went to the waiting room and couldn't see his face again.
 
Yoona was going to give her ticket, until suddenly..
 
"NOONA!!!!"
 
Yoona looked towards where the voice was coming from, and saw a blurry figure running to her. it was soon getting clear. the figure was none other than Kai, the person she was waiting for.
 
"noona......" he called out while panting. "don't........ don't go...." he controlled his breathing. "I.. was such a jerk to you, noona. please..... I realized there's something I felt that wasn't right. it was because of you're not there... in these few days I realized that I really need you arround, noona"
 
Yoona wrapped her arms arround Kai, and whispered softly. "thank you. I'm glad that you had say this. but.." she let go of him. "I already gave up on you. I also realized something, too. that you have your own live, and I have mine. we both aren't child anymore, I don't think I could cling on you forever. so I decided to let you go. and move on"
 
Kai only stood there on disbelief.
 
"I'm sorry, and goodbye, Jongin-ah... let's live happily in our own, okay?" she let go of Kai completely, and went in to the waiting roon.
 
Kai sat down on the floor, not caring if people are staring at him and called him crazy. however, he caused a drama in the airport.
 
 
 
Kai went to where Taemin was, at a cafè. "so, how did it go?"
 
Kai shook his head. "she left. she said she gave up on me"
 
"if you weren't being such a jerk, none of this will happen" Taemin drank his iced chocolate.
 
"let's go home" Kai stood up and start walking.
 
"wait for me!" Taemin quickly gulped down all of the iced chocolate and ran to Kai. "ya, let's go eat something delicious. we're way too late for school, anyway"
 
Kai looked at his wrist-watch. it's true. now he and Taemin are skipping school. "cool. games arcade?"
 
"okay, but let's take a shower first, we stink!"
 
the two best friends went to sauna and enjoy themselves while in Seoul. Kai was still thinking of Yoona, but it was for the best.
 
끝!