Chapter 6: The Walk Together

Soul Mate, Literally

Water was still dripping off my hair when I started gussying up myself. I had a towel in my hand to dry everything up. I already felt the collar of my shirt starting to become wet. I felt my neck being tickled by moist. Nevertheless, the shower surely delighted me. I was feeling really sparkling fresh. I am now fully dressed with my white graphic shirt and black jeans. I was wearing only socks at that moment because my shoes are outside this room. My hair, as always, was left messy. After everything was set, I went out because someone’s waiting for me.

 

I opened the door of my bedroom and stepped out as I rubbed my hair with the towel. My hair was starting to become shaggy and water was splashing everywhere. My bedroom was located just beside the living area so it was normal to see the sofa and the other furniture right after I step out of my room. I was surprised to see my guest not staying put where I instructed her to.

She isn’t here.

It’s either she went to the bathroom or to the kitchen. I checked the bathroom first because it was nearer to my present spot. I knocked and waited for a response. Nobody was answering so I just turned the knob and opened. Still, she wasn’t there. I then headed to the kitchen because that’s the only place left for her to go to aside from out. And there she was. Docking and squatting as if examining something on the counter top. I saw only her back from here but I’m pretty sure I’m correct. She’s being weird again.

“Krystal.” I called her.

She was somehow surprised to hear me. She then pulled her back up from bending and turned to me. She smiled. I can see her happiness overflowing in her face. I gave her a gaze of curiosity.

“Your pets are cool.” She grinned. I was a little bit confused because as far as I know I don’t have any animals in my apartment. I was a bit worried to think that a dog or a cat may have trespassed in my home. I came closer to the counter to see what Krystal was referring to. I was amazed with what I saw.

Ants.

I looked at the stupid crazy girl showing my disbelief. She was still flashing me that bright blissful smile of hers. It was as if she didn’t understand my facial expressions. Of how astonished I am. She just kept that charming beam.

“They're cute.” She continued as she hunkered down again to have another look at what she called my “pets”.

“They are not pets Krystal.” I told her in my disappointed voice. “They’re ants.”

“I know.” She smiled at me again. “Can’t ants be pets to?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Simply because they are ants.” I can’t believe how slow she was for not getting my point instantly.

“I don’t understand.” she said as her face transforms to an image of someone who experiences confusion and doubt.

I have had enough of this and I don’t want this conversation to last any longer. Because I know that this would go nowhere for sure. Right now, I’m talking to a person who acts like she’s not a human being. She’s abnormal. First, she just screams at people for no reason at all. Second, she gets mood swings like at a snap of a finger. Third, she attacks a wall believing that she’s actually a ghost. And now, she says ants are pets. Obviously, she’s a senseless psycho. And I don’t want to argue with a senseless psycho.

“Fine.” I finally decided to end the discussion.

Her face was a big question mark.

“Fine.” I repeated. “Those ants are my pets.”

“Oh.” She grinned again. She looked at the little creatures marching on the surface with great interest. “What do you feed them?”

I face-palmed. I expected the dialogue to end there but it seems like miss harebrained wants another nonsense conversation with me. I must think of something great to reply. I’m really good at reasoning and making alibis. Aside from dancing, it’s also one of my talents. “Actually, I must go out and buy their food right now.” I reasoned out.

“Really?” she questioned with excitement as she stood herself up erectly.

“Yeah.” I answered. “Do you wanna come?”

She leaped again. She looked so energized with my suggestion. Perhaps, being the typical loner she is, she never experienced hanging out with another person which made her really thrilled right now. Nevertheless, I also felt somewhat excited even if I think she’s crazy and all that. I mean, a person as unique as her could be also interesting. Still, I’m hoping she acts normal on our walk today because I’ve had enough embarrassment since I met her.

“Sure!” she yelled happily. Her smile was up to her ears. “Gladly!”

“This would be, uhmmm – exciting.” I grinned sarcastically but of course she wouldn’t notice.

I started strolling back to the living room and walked until I reached close to the doorway. Krystal was following me and whenever I look at her, she just smiles like crazy. It can be creepy sometimes, you know. I took my pair of blue skate shoes from the shoe rack. I sat on the stool for a moment as I wore them. The girl was curiously staring at my foot as I tied my shoelaces. Ignoring her, I hurriedly stood up and was all set to go. And she grinned again.

“Let’s go?” I asked her as I looked at her very delighted face. She looked like a little kid who was about to take her cone of chocolate ice cream. She wasn’t answering me even her faced looked really attentive. “Hey?”

“Let’s go!” she gave her delayed reply.

I nodded. Then, I walked towards the door and just like before, I opened it and made her step out first. She was hesitant at first. Maybe she thought of me shutting the door again. But then again, I’m a very kindhearted and compassionate person so that action never crossed my mind right now. I also came out and made sure the knob was locked properly. When everything was perfect, I gave a signal that we can go now.

We took the stairs together but instead of following me at my back, Krystal stayed on my left. Her smile never disappeared. I kind of got used to it. We went out of the building in no time. I was nosy about what we should do now.

“What do you wanna do now?” I asked the girl who was weirdly smiling at me.

“I don’t know.” She answered still smiling. “You decide.”

I kept thinking where we could hang out. Then I remembered the park. The park is a wonderful place. It’s big and well landscaped. Tall pine trees are spotted there and the ground is green with grass. There are benches and also a playground for children. I don’t even know why but only a few people visit it so it’s quiet and relaxing there. Maybe people are just so busy nowadays.

“How about the park?” I suggested.

“The park?” she questioned. Her eyes were glimmering and by that, I knew she’s been there.

“Yeah.”

“Come on!” she leaped and was about to run. It was a good thing I had my grip on her arm so she halted.

“Don’t run.” I commanded. “We can walk.”

“Okay.” She replied.

We walked and passed to the stores again. As always, I again see the same items displayed in each specific shop. Then I was slowed down when we passed through the television shop. Neither I’m daydreaming of buying that big flat screen again nor Yoona’s face on display. I just remembered the very unforgettable happening in this exact spot. I looked at Krystal. She was still smiling and not a single muscle in her face changed an expression.

Maybe it’s not really a big deal.

That day we first saw each other. That day she was amused by my hair and calling it “messy”. That day I realized how big her smile is when she’s happy. That day we met each other’s eyes. That day opened and screamed at me. Okay, okay. I don’t wanna remember these things especially the part where I was about to be swallowed by her big mouth. Enough of this crap. This is nothing. It was just a typical day.

We kept walking and walking and then I suddenly realized neither of us is talking. I looked at my right and I saw different shoes exhibited just behind the glass. We already passed through that television shop. I was lost in my thoughts a moment ago. I looked at Krystal again and thought so hard of how to break the ice.

“HEY!” she shouted. I was relieved I wouldn’t have to think harder.

I was searching to where her index finger was pointing and I saw this stand of fruits just a block away. And then I looked at her. And then she looked at me. Smiling creepily but with her lips enclosed now. I was so confused with what she trying to tell me. Maybe, she wants to eat some fruit or something, I really have no idea. And then she ran towards the store. I followed her.

“I want an apple.” She told me as she stopped in front of a mass of apples piled up in a wooden box.

“All right.” I said as I reached for my pocket to get some change.

“What are you doing?” she questioned me.

“Looking for money to pay.”

Suddenly, I saw the old man who owns the fruit stand smirk at us. And then I felt breath being blown inside my ear.

“I’m a ghost, remember?” Krystal whispered.

Here we go again. “And?” I asked while my forehead wrinkled.

“He won’t see me.” She grinned.

I enlarged my eyes signaling her not to do what she was trying to do. She was still grinning when she finally touched one of the red apples on the stock. I shook my head slowly but still she was so stubborn. I saw her hand taking hold of the apple now. All of a sudden, she gave me a really wide smile and then ran off.

“KRYSTAL!” I yelled.

“Excuse me . . .” the old man interrupted as my sight was on the scampering shoplifter.

“Yes. Yes. I’m gonna pay for it.” I took a 1000 won bill from my pocket and gave it to the seller. “Thank you.”

I bowed and took off without giving him time to say welcome or just talk. I walked rapidly down the sidewalk and then I saw this yellow metal waiting shed or bus stop. And then there she was, leaning on the pole as she chewed the fruit she just stole.

“HEY KRYSTAL!” I called for her attention. She stopped eating and looked at me surprised. When I was near enough she just grinned.

“Want an apple?” she grinned and eyesmiled as she extended her arm to offer me the red juicy thing. “You know what they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away!”

“NO!”

“Why?” Then she took another bite and extended her arms again.

“Because it’s stolen.”

“Don’t worry! He didn’t see me.”

“What?! He’s blind?!”

“No.” she was surprised when she replied as if what I said was unacceptable. “I’m a ghost, don’t you remember?”

“KRYSTAAAAL!” I yelled out of anger. I was really annoyed with that answer. Right now, I don’t know if she’s actually really psychotic or she’s just playing with me.

“What? Come on just have a bite. It’s sweet and juicy.” She looked really pleased as she offered the apple to me. But unfortunately, I was still irritated. I took the fruit and threw it inside the garbage bin just beside the shed.

Ouch. That was worth a thousand won.

What did you do?” she interrogated sadly as she stood up erectly from leaning on the pole.

I gave no answer. I just sighed and turned back. I walked away from her.

“Minho!” I heard her call my name. I ignored it at first. And then I felt her walking just behind me. “Where are you going?!”

“HOME!” I shouted but not turning around and look at her. I know it was rude but I was just extremely annoyed.

“How about the ants? What are they gonna eat?”

Seriously? “Nothing. I’m just gonna throw them away!”

I continuously strolled down and had no idea where I was going. I had no plans on really going home but my legs were bringing me where I told them to. I was about to step on the concrete stairs outside the building when I realized it was completely quiet from Krystal’s big mouth. Maybe she’s also tired. And then I turned around. She’s gone.

Where could she be? She didn’t even tell me she was leaving. Maybe she also went home. Or maybe she felt bad because I threw her apple? Or perhaps because I broke my promise on going to the park today? She could have just said her sorry and then maybe everything will be back to normal. Well then, I guess I would just have to stay at home today. Have a rest. Where there are no distractions.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________-

 

What a naughty Krystal and an ill-tempered Minho. Hoho!
Well. Could this be war? What do you think? :))

 

Guys, I’m really sorry for the super late update. I’ve had a really busy schedule the past few days and also got problems with my internet. So my thousand apologies to you guys. I hope this wouldn’t happen again.

 

And also thank you very much for all the new comments and subscribers I just recently received. I hope that you will continue reading this fanfic and please do still continue leaving you’re comments and suggestions.

 

And yeah, for the new readers, please do subscribe. :))

 

THANK YOU! :))