Chapter 3

Welcome to the Family

 

I ended up sitting in the corner of their living room, too lazy to even bother to look for Hoya.  I would just wait until Sunggyu would come back, and then he would introduce me to the other members.

“Sungjong, I was just joking when I told you to dress up like a girl for fun.” A boy walked into the room then, catching a glimpse of me sitting in the corner.  “And wow!  Where’d you find a wig with blue highlights in them?”

Sungjong?  Oh, right.  Infinite’s youngest member.  I cleared my throat awkwardly, not knowing how to respond to his question.  “I’m—”

“You…aren’t Sungjong.” He pointed a finger at me accusingly.  “So what’s your name, and how did you get in here?”

“Don’t know.”

“Fans aren’t allowed on this floor.  No one is allowed on this floor besides the members of Infinite.” He took a step closer.

This guy scares me.  I don’t want to talk to him.  I looked around the room, for something—anything—that would get me out of answering his questions.  My eyes lit up when I saw a familiar person.  “Hoya!” I ran across the room, hiding behind the startled boy.

“What are you doing?” he asked, confused.

“That guy is scary.” I pointed to the other guy in the room.

Hoya smirked.  “Woohyun, you shouldn’t scare little girls like that.  Your image might get ruined.”

“I’m not a little girl,” I piped up.

“I was just asking her how she got in—wait.  You know her?” He pointed to me again.

Ha, acting like a scared idiot is kinda fun.  Not to mention that I’m hiding behind an Infinite member.

“Yeah, she’s Sunggyu hyung’s younger sister.  You know that he’ll kill you when he sees that you’ve scared her?” Hoya turned toward me.  “That’s Woohyun, by the way.  He’s our main vocal.”

“Ah!” My eyes widened and I came out from behind Hoya.  “You have a deeper voice than Gyu does!  I like your voice better.”

Gyu?  You don’t even use honorifics with your older brother?” Woohyun asked incredulously.

“Is it really that big of a deal?” I replied innocently.  “Sunggyu doesn’t mind.”

Woohyun said, “It’s disturbing.”

I pouted, turning around.  Crossing my arms over my chest, I made an annoyed expression just as Sunggyu walked into the room.  Seeing me, he immediately turned to Hoya.

“What’s with her?”

“Why don’t you ask him?” Hoya pointed to Woohyun.

“Woohyun-ah, what did you do?”

“Hyung, she doesn’t use honorifics when talking about you.”

“Yeah.”

“But…it’s not right!  How could you be okay with that?”

Hoya grabbed my arm, catching my attention.  “I’ll show you to the other members, okay?  They’ll probably have better reactions than this guy here.  Let’s go down the hall to meet my roommate Sungjong.”

“But—”

“Oh, your brother?” Hoya gestured toward Sunggyu.  “He’ll be fine.  Yelling at the members is kinda like his favorite thing to do.” He rolled his eyes.  “Sunggyu hyung is a great leader, but he really nags us too much.”

“He nags you too?” I winced, hearing Sunggyu’s anger finally lash out at Woohyun.  “I thought it was just me.”

Hoya smiled slightly, as if amused.  “You know, when he gets mad, his eyes get even smaller than they already are.”

“Once I told him about it.  Worst mistake of my life.  If we weren’t family, I’m sure he would’ve strangled me.”  I nodded in agreement.  “He’s even worse than our mom and dad.”

“I’m coming in!  Hide the mess, will you, Sungjong-ah?  We have a visitor.” Hoya stopped abruptly in front of a door, leaving me to run back to where he stood.  Still, he had that amused smile on his face, as if I was the funniest thing he’s seen in a while.

“Come on in.”

The feminine tone of the person’s voice shocked me—so much that it took me a minute to process the person’s actual words.

I was greeted with an amusing sight, to say the least.  Half of the room was the cleanest thing I’ve ever seen.  From the walls to the floor, there wasn’t even a speck of dust on anything.  The other side of the room, though, looked like a living purgatory, with clothes and trash everywhere.

“Hi.”

“You’re Sungjong, right?” I stuck out my hand.  Wait…Koreans aren’t into shaking hands…are they?  I let my hand fall limply at my side.  “Sunggyu said you clean stuff.”

“I don’t clean stuff on my own accord.”

“Oh.” I shrugged.  “Well, I’m sorry.

“This is Sunggyu hyung’s younger sister, Hana.”

“Younger sister?  Since when did hyung have a younger sister?” Sungjong asked with interest.  “And why didn’t he tell any of us about it?”

“I have this theory that Sunggyu secretly wants me to grow old alone,” I piped up.  “Which is why I never tell him anything about my social life.”

“You’re cute,” Sungjong said.

I raised an eyebrow.  “Really?”

“Not attractive-cute, though.  Like, childish-cute,” he stammered. 

“We’ll be leaving before you make things even more awkward!” Hoya exclaimed.  He led me out of the room, shooting one last glance at Sungjong before he shut the door.  “Our youngest member doesn’t have much experience with girls.”

“I can see that.” I snickered.  “But you aren’t any better, Hoya-ssi.”

“Eh?  What do you mean?”

“You’re awkward when I converse with you.”  Seeing his expression, I added, “But these days, awkward is the trend.  Don’t feel too bad.” I pat him on the back.

“A rookie idol?” A boy with blue hair jumped out from behind the corner.  “Nice to meet you!  What group are you debuting in?  There are so many…I can’t keep track anymore.  And I’m Dongwoo.”

“Idol?” I glanced at Hoya, who glanced back at me. 

“No?  Not an idol?  An actress, then.” The boy with the blue hair smiled.

“This is Dongwoo, Hana,” Hoya said.  “He’s…strange, to say the least.”

“Hana?” Dongwoo frowned.  “Ah!  You must be Sunggyu’s younger sister.”

“He told you about me?” I broke out into a grin.  “Seriously?”

“Oh, no.  I heard the commotion in the dorm.  That Sunggyu didn’t tell me anything.” He pouted.  “We have matching hair color.”

“Ah!” I exclaimed, holding a strand of my blue highlights up.  “That we do.”

“Now that you’re done being weird, Dongwoo hyung,” Hoya said, “I have to introduce Hana to Sungyeol.  You can talk with her later.”

“When did you become her bodyguard?” Dongwoo grumbled.  “But, I suppose I should get going.  I’m going to enjoy these valuable months off, since our Chaser promotions are done.”

Turning around, I found myself staring directly at someone’s t-shirt.  I took a step back and stared into the eyes of a person with a pretty smile.

“Hi!”

“Hi,” I replied.

“I’m Sungyeol.”

“Hana.”

“Sunggyu’s sister, right?”

I nodded my head vigorously.  “Right.”

“I like your hair.”

“Thanks.  I like your smile.”

“Thanks.”

“I have a feeling that we’ll become close.”

“Right?  I do too.”

--

Rejoining Sunggyu in the living room, I eyed Woohyun warily from the corner of my eye.  He sat on the opposite side of Sunggyu, and they both looked completely comfortable with the silence in the room.

“I’m leaving, Gyu.  See you later.”

“Wait!  Hana, before you go, you have to take a picture with me,” Sunggyu said with the most serious expression I’ve seen.

“What?  Why?”

“I have to tell the world about you!”

“Will your fans kill me?”

“Not if you stay in the apartment all day.”

“Great!  Because that’s totally how I want to spend my days--alone in a room with no one for company,” I replied.

“No need for sarcasm, my beloved sister.”

“I’d prefer not being known by all of your fans.”

“Why?”

“Because then, I wouldn’t be able to do embarrassing things in public.  And I’m kind of uncomfortable with people knowing my name.”

“Hana.”

“Gyu.”

“Hana,” he whined.

“Gyu,” I whined back.

“I can never win,” he finally grumbled.  “Fine.  I won’t tell the world about you.”

Thank you.”

“You should come over for dinner,” Sunggyu said.

“What are you eating?”

“Don’t know.  We’ll probably order food.”

“I’ll probably be there.”

“Probably?”

“As much as I like free food,” I replied, “The thought of socializing makes me want to crawl into a hole and never come out.”

“I thought you liked socializing with people.”

“No, I don’t.  Forced conversations .”  Recalling my first conversations with Andy’s family in California made me shudder.  Even though they all spoke in Korean, I still felt as though I bored them to death.

“But…you’re a part of the family now!  You have to come to dinner.”

“Can I show up in pajamas?”

“Sure.  Why not?”

“Sweet!  I’m there.”

----------

A/N: Hi!  I came home from school, looked for grammatical errors, found none, and posted up this chapter.  Um...thank you to everyone who subscribed so far, and I haven't really had the time to reply to comments yet.  I'll reply to them in the comment section below ^^. --kpopluvr18