Chapter 16 - my fault

Flashback


Yoona's POV

 

“Jessica” was the first word I heard for Yuri. Her hand fumbled in the air as if she was trying to reach for someone.

 

 

My tears just wanted to fall off because she will realize that she cannot see. I was trembling of fear. I wanted to hold her but I was afraid that she will ask what happened to her eyes.

 

 

How could I tell her that she went blind? I gulped to push down the stiff feeling. “Yuri ah” I called her with a pity voice.

 

 

“Yoona?” She moved the ear to the direction of my voice.

 

 

She looked so pity that I wanted to cry. I covered my mouth to not let out any sound. I took a quick look away and breathe in some air before answering her “Oh. I’m here” I held her hand firmly.

 

 

“Why is it so dark? Where is Jessica? How is she?” She asked me but the doctor came in with Seo before I could say anything.

 

 

“Yuri-ssi” The doctor said and touched her arm to gain her trust. “Do you remember that you were in a car accident?”

 

 

Yuri nodded.

 

 

“I’m the assigned doctor to follow your condition. I’ll listen to your lung, breathe, and heart sounds” He took out the stethoscope and started to checkup. “Everything sounds fine. How do you feel right now?”

 

 

‘Very dazzle. But what happened with my eyes. How come they are bandaged?” Yuri asked.

 

 

“The car accident caused your brain hemorrhage. A small quality of blood blocked your optical nerve. We bandaged your eyes after the operation because they may not yet be able to accept lights.”

 

 

“So how long do I have to keep my eyes bandaged?”

 

 

“I’ll schedule a checkup for you as soon as possible. We will need to take an x-ray and test your eyes’ sensitivities and reaction. Yuri-ssi, I want you to get prepared that your eyes may not fully recovered from at the first day that we remove the bandage”

 

 

“What do you mean by not fully recovered?”

 

 

“It varies from a patient to another. Some recover 100% of their vision after the operation. Some see blurry and have to wear glasses.”

 

 

 “Is there any chance that I go blind?”

 

 

“I will not conclude before having the test result. The most important thing right now for you is to rest as much as possible.” The doctor said and left the room for the three of us.

 

 

“Yoona?” She called me and reached out her hand again. “Have you seen Jessica? How is she? Did she injure much?”

 

 

Seo rapidly took Yuri’s hand. “Unnie, this is Seo. Jessica unnie is fine. Don’t worry too much. As the doctor said you need to rest right now.”

 

 

Yuri nodded. “It is a relief that she is fine. Seo ah, can you do me a favor? Can you call Jessica for me? I want to hear her voice.”

 

 

“Unnie it’s late already. Let’s wait for another time, is it okay?” Seo said.

 

 

I felt something was wrong. Seo gave me the impression that she was hiding something because it was only 5p.m, not that late as she told Yuri. So once we got to the parking lot of the hospital, I stopped Seo and asked her to tell me the truth about Jessica.

 

 

“Where is she? Something happened to Jessica right?” I asked

 

 

“She is fine” Seo answered

 

 

“She is not that fine. I can read by your expression that you are hiding something” I said. I stepped closer to look in Seo’ eyes so she would not lie to me.

 

 

“Yoona, you will not want to see her at this stage”

 

 

Seo’s words made me worried “Where is she?” I told Seo with a serious tone. “I want to know the truth no matter what.”

 

 

Seo sighed deeply. “She is upstairs, on the 5th floor, psychology department”

 

 

My tears immediately came up because of shock. “Liar” I muttered. I wanted to say more but my words didn’t come out. I needed to see Jessica for my own eyes. I ran inside and rushed up the 5th floor. Seo also ran after me.

 

 

I reached the 5th floor but I didn’t know which direction to take. “WHERE IS SHE?!” I yelled at Seo. Then, I saw Krystal rushed out of a room and a couple of doctor and nurses ran in that room.

 

 

I heard lot of noises, stuff getting throwing on the floor and Jessica screamed. I stepped closer but also afraid to see Jessica situation. As soon as I reached the doorway, I saw the nurses were trying to tie Jessica up despise she yelled no and resisted. They caught her arms and legs. She was crying and struggling with all her force. I saw the doctor gave a shot in Jessica arm to put her to sleep.

 

 

I covered my mouth because I also cried. I shook head because I couldn’t believe on the whole scene. I wondered how she became like that after the accident. “What happened to your sister?” I turned to ask Krystal because I couldn’t believe Jessica went crazy.

 

 

“The car explosion had caused a shock to my sister because my dad also died in a car accident. The doctor said Jessica lost or ability to talk and memory. She only remembered things before 5 years old, probably when she had the most beautiful memories with my dad. She doesn’t even recognize me since I wasn’t born at that time. She throws things whenever she wants to say something but couldn't express it out. I guess it must be very frustrated.” Krystal told me.

 

It was my fault, my entire fault. If I didn’t force too hard on her, the three of us would not get into car accident. Yuri wouldn’t be blind, Jessica wouldn’t suffer like that. 

 

 

I slowly approached Jessica’s bed. I touched her head. I cried. My tears wouldn’t stop rolling down. I couldn’t bear to stay longer by her side because I was so sorry for her. I ran out and cried all my heart off.

 

Seo followed and took me in her arms to comfort me.

 

“SEO, it was my fault! It was my fault that Jessica became like that! I made her goes mad. I shouldn’t force her to do things she didn’t want to. It was my fault. I’m the worse!”

 

 

“Yonna. Yoona. Listen to me.” Seo held my head with both hand. “It was an accident, an accident. It wasn’t your fault. Nobody wants that to happen. Neither you right? So don’t blame yourself. I know it’s hard to accept but at least Jessica is not injured right?”

 

“But Yuri too.”

 

“I’m sure she will recover” Seo said. She succeeded to calm me down for that day. However, I would never be able to forgive myself.

 

 

I tried to visit Jessica after but seeing Jessica acting like a kid hurt me too much. She couldn’t eat properly, even when Krystal fed her. She cried out so often because of frustration. The worse was I looked like a stranger to her. She hid behind Krystal when I came closer.

 

 

Few days after, Yuri also learned the new about Jessica.I witnessed Yuri walking like a blind to look for Jessica. She ran chaotically, she hit on the wall, fall off the stairs but no one could stop her from moving. When she found Jessica, it was the most pitiful scene. Yuri stumbled and cowled on the floor. She reached hands out and called Jessica but the later just ran off.  

 

 

My heart ached to witness them like that. I thought I would be jealous but I felt more pity for Yuri. I felt hurt for her. She wanted to find Jessica but will never be able to find.  If I put myself in Yuri’s situation, I must go crazy like hell if I could not reach the one I love, especially that everything around was in darkness. At least I could see where Jessica ran off but Yuri would never have a clue.