Part One: I Deserve Better

Triage (Four-shot Sequel to Everything's Alright)

 

"I'm leaving you." She tells him one night, when the fighting has become too much for her abused mind to handle, and she's tired of all the strange women that keep showing up at their door, demanding to see Kris. He was always a popular boy, even in high school.
 
Kris' ears perk up at this. As many times as he'd hurt her, never once had she threatened to leave him before.
The panic in his eyes is clear, and Mingyu almost regrets saying it. But, she wants out so badly.
 
He plays it off like he hadn't heared her, continuing to read his book, but he's sure to drag her along with him when he's ready for bed.
Wrapped up in his long arms, she lays there for hours and wonders how he'll be without her around.
Would he take care of himself? Of the house? She hoped so.
 
Surely she would miss the moments like this, laying warm and protected in his strong embrace.
But, maybe it was for the best that she would be able to be on her own for a while.
He would protest, she knew. But, she deserved something better.
 
She'd been planning it for months. Ever since his one night stand with red stilettos, she knew she had to get out of there.
It had become so routine that she almost found it strange, to be welcomed to a home free of strange s. The thought made her laugh.
Most women would be horrified to find another woman with in her home, in her bed, with her boyfriend; but Ming, on the other hand, was used to it.
 
For the last time, Mingyu studied Kris' sleeping face. He was more handsome when asleep, if even possible.
He looked more like himself when sleeping. The lines on his face soften, and he breathes a bit more evenly.
He's like a work of art, with how strikingly beautiful he is. But, he can groan and stretch like every other person, and that's her favorite part.
 
Mingyu shrinks back down to lie beside him, continuing to admire clear skin, thick eyebrows, proud nose, and pink lips.
She's going to miss this. Miss him. And that in itself, is almost enough to make her stay. Almost.
She brushes her flingers gently over his eyelids, and nose. Across his cheeks and thin lips.
The morning was coming fast and she wanted to commit every aspect of his features to her memory, as not to forget.
God, I'm going to miss him.
 
Ming glanes over at their window, seeing the faintest of light beginning to color the windowsill, before closing her eyes and just breathing.
In that small moment, everything was perfect. But, all good things must come to an end.
She leans in close to his face, his breath tickling her cheek and stirring her hair, and kisses him sweetly on the lips one last time.
He doesn't wake as she quietly and carefully detatches herself from the warmth of his embrace.
 
Zhang Mingyu takes one final look at his sleeping form, before she leaves, taking none of her things.
She thinks it better to start new.
 
Later that morning when Kris wakes, he's more than surprised to find her missing from their bed.
And so he waits. All day and all night. He knows she isn't coming back. But, he waits.