Why The Sky Is Crying

Why The Sky Is Crying

 

“Where are you going?” Yoona asked her.

“Out for coffee.” She answered while looking for her shoes.

“But it’s raining outside.”

“It’s okay. I’m not going far.. Besides, I need to know.” She replied and gave her a smile.

“Know what?”

“Why the sky is crying.”

With that she left. I wanted to know something too. I want to know why she loves someone that doesn’t love her the same way she does, why my heart was breaking, and why, exactly, do I keep on loving her when I know that she loves someone else?

We were the same. We were in love with someone that loves another. Why? Why did it have to be this way?

*

We had no schedules today. It was our day off. Others went to their homes while some just decided to stay and rest in the dorm. And SHE was nowhere to be found. Earlier today she went out to go to who-knows-where.

Usually, when she does that, it’s to avoid seeing those two being sweet together. It broke her heart. But seeing her getting hurt broke my heart too. If only she loved me instead of her. I would give her my whole heart and love her like no one else did. Too bad she doesn’t.

Hyoyeon was watching TV while the maknae was probably in her room and those two were in the kitchen laughing and playing with each other while making themselves sandwiches.

I got up and went out. Not having any destination in mind, my feet dragged me to the park. And to my surprise, I saw her there sitting on a bench looking at something far away. I came closer and sat next to her.

“Hi.” I greeted her with a smile.

She looked up at me and was a bit surprised. “Oh, hi Soo.” She replied.

“Why are you here?” I asked her.

“Just wanted to get some fresh air.. You?” she answered.

“I was bored at the dorm and my feet just dragged me here.”

There was silence for a while until I spoke again.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

“What?”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Why’d you ask?”

“Well, because these days you look like you’re feeling down. I AM you bestfriend you know.” I cringed at the word I used. “You can talk to me about it if you want.”

She just sighed.

“What’s bothering you?” I asked even though I knew exactly what her answer, if she would answer, would be.

Another sigh. “You wouldn’t understand. It’s complicated.”

“Try me.” I said.

“…”

“Well?”

She was about to answer when suddenly, the rain started to pour heavily. Luckily, there was a gazebo just a few steps away from the bench we were sitting on. We ran to it and brushed off the droplets of rain that landed on our clothes.

We just stood there and watched the rain pour down. I looked at her and saw her eyes filled with sadness.

Without looking at me she asked, “Why is the sky always crying?”

I swore I could see tears forming in her eyes. I wanted to hug her but something was stopping me from doing so.

I took my gaze away from her and turned it to the rain. “You want to know why the sky is crying? ...because it can feel our pain. It knows that our hearts are breaking. It cries for us because we’re just stupid enough not to let our tears fall in front of others.”

I felt her looking at me. I turned my head to her and was met with questioning eyes. “I know of your feelings towards her. I know that it pains you to see them together.”

“Was it that obvious?” she asked me.

“I can see it in your eyes every time you look at her.” I answered.

“How about you? Why is your heart breaking?”

I didn’t think she’d notice what I said. “I’m in a situation similar to yours. I’m in love with someone who doesn’t love me back.”

“Do I have the right to ask who he is?”

“Actually, also like you, it’s a she.”

“Okay. Do I have the right to know who SHE is?”

“Yes. And you know her quiet well.”

Curiosity was getting the best of her, “What’s she like?”

“Well, she’s a really nice person. But she can be a bit stubborn at times.”

“Does she have a name?”

“Yes.”

“What’s her name?”

I knew sooner or later she would ask that. “Do you really want to know?”

“Yes, I think I do.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am.”

“How many percent sure?”

“I’m 200% sure.”

“200% sure?”

She was getting impatient. “Will you just tell me her name already?”

I sighed, “Okay. I’ll tell you.”

Silence fell as she waited for my answer while I was still reconsidering my options. But then again..

“Well?” She broke the silence.

I can’t hide my feelings forever. “Her name is… Jung Sooyeon.”