Woodchips

The Shack in the Woods

 

The rain hit Nichkhun’s head as he ran down the trail. He and Chansung had been out hiking when the sky suddenly opened up. Then Chansung lightly punched Nichkhun on the shoulder saying “Race ya!” Then he ran ahead. Nichkhun vaguely remembered there was a shack up ahead, and he figured Chansung had run there. The only key was finding the small building.

Nichkhun found himself in a predicament. The rain was falling down in buckets now, and he had heard thunder rumbling ever closer. He could barely see anything. Nichkhun watched the ground, hoping to see footprints leading to Chansung’s location. No luck. The rain had washed any trace of tracks away. The path was quickly becoming a stream.

“Chansung!” He shouted, hoping that his friend would hear him. “Chansung!” Nichkhun cried again just as he found a trail that broke off of the path. Hoping this would lead him to his destination, Nichkhun ran down it. He looked up at the sky hoping that the rain would stop soon. He was rewarded with drops of rain temporarily blinding him.

“Nichkhun?” Nichkhun ran straight into something with a very sculpted torso. It was Chansung. “I thought you were right behind me.” Nichkhun looked up to see Chansung sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. “Come on, there’s somewhere we can take shelter a little farther on. You’re lucky I know this place so well!”

A short while later the two soaking idols stepped through the doors of an eight foot by ten foot building. It was mostly full of logs, but there was a pile of woodchips that could be comfortable. Even if it wasn’t, they were out of the rain, and Nichkhun was grateful for that.

“Let’s take these off,” Chansung said as he immediately took off the shirt that was plastered to his body. He then slipped off his shoes and socks. “Too bad we can’t build a fire,” Chansung said wistfully. He was sitting leaned up against one of the walls.

“Yeah, too bad,” Nichkhun sighed. He had taken off his own shirt and shoes. “Where did that storm even come from? I don’t remember there being any reports of bad weather.”

“Same,” Chansung mused. “Doesn’t really matter, I guess. We’ll just stay here until it blows over.”

Nichkhun nodded and leaned against the pile of woodchips. He grimaced. They were not nearly as comfortable as he had hoped they would be.

“What should we do until then?” Nichkhun asked. He had moved from leaning against the inviting yet very uncomfortable woodchips to lying on his back. The dirt was nice.

“You tell me,” Chansung said with a smirk. “What else do you do in a shack in the middle of the woods?”

“Me?” Nichkhun snickered. “I usually don’t spend time out here. What do you do?”

“How about I show you?” Chansung leaned over Nichkhun. Then he grabbed a few woodchips. “Time to build a fortress!”

Chansung and Nichkhun commenced playing a game with dragons, soldiers, fortresses and magic. It was really quite impressive, since all they had were woodchips.