CHAPTER 19

ECHO

 

 

“Khun!! Why are you so surprise?” said the woman in front of him.

 

“mo.. mom. I just.. I just.. because I don’t see you long time already. And you come without notice. That’s why I…” Nichkhun startled and he didn’t even know how to speak now.

 

“oppa, who’s that?” asked a voice behind him. It’s Jessica and now, he can see, a weird expression written on his mother’s face. His mother quickly pushed him aside and entered the house. Nichkhun didn’t know what to do. He just prayed that his mother won’t start any drama today.

 

“uhuh!! I can see the reason why you’re sooo SURPRISE when you saw me khun,” his mother said while smiling. OK, when he said smiling, it’s not actually a kind and caring smile. But, it’s smirk smile. His mother was smirking and it didn’t mean good thing.

 

“look mom, I can explain,” Nichkhun tried to clear up the situation. He didn’t want his mother to cause any harm to Jessica. It’s not like his mother was a murderer or something. But he knew his mother. She’s a type that was not easily getting close to.

 

Jessica looked at them with confusion. She didn’t recognize who’s the woman who was standing in front of her know. But, after a better look, she recognized that her face looked like Nichkhun’s face. She looked at Nichkhun and gave who-is-she look to Nichkhun.

 

“nope, you don’t have to. so, this is why you’re hardly go back to London? And when I want you to go blind date, you refused? Khun?” OK, Nichkhun knew that he shouldn’t use Jessica but after hearing his mother’s words, he knew that Jessica can bring him out from his mother crazy plan to get him married.

 

Nichkhun cleared his throat. He moved to Jessica’s side held Jessica’s hand. That girl gave him a confused look. “let me introduce. Sica, this is my mother. And mom, this is Jessica. She’s… she’s my girlfriend,” Nichkhun said.

 

Jessica smiled. ‘wait!! He said what???? I’m his girlfriend? To his mother? I’m dead. I’m dead!!!’ Jessica didn’t know how to do after she realized that Nichkhun introduced her as his girlfriend. Nichkhun nudged her, maybe wanted her to act along. She smiled awkwardly.

 

“anyonghaseyo. I’m Jessica Jung. Nice to meet you mo.. aunty,” Jessica said in hesitation. Nichkhun’s mother gave her a light smile, but Jessica can sense that she didn’t like her.

 

“how long have you been living together?”

 

“a year…” Jessica replied with short answer.

 

“after Jessica pregnant, she started to live here with me” Nichkhun tried to avoid any suspicion from his mother.

 

Nichkhun’s mother looked at her. “so you’re pregnant?” she asked.

 

“yes aunty,” Jessica said with a little bow. Nichkhun can see his mother was looking at him.

 

“that’s my child mom. And I’m sorry for not telling you about this. After she gives birth, we’ll get married,” again Jessica was surprised with Nichkhun’s words. Seriously Nichkhun was putting her in more serious and difficult situation. Jessica can fell that Nichkhun was holding her waist. Maybe he wanted to make it look real that both of them are something that people can call it a couple.

 

“wow. Looks like I’ll be a grandmother soon. Why don’t you tell us Khun?” his mother started to asked. Maybe she was disappointed with his son for not telling her something big like this.

 

“I’m sorry mom but I have my own reason for not telling you this. Sica, can you leave us?” Nichkhun instructed her. Jessica nodded her head before disappearing into her room.

 

****************************************************

 

“mom, I’m sorry. I really do,” His mother didn’t replied which made Nichkhun felt guiltier with his lie.

 

“OK, if you say that… I’ll try to accept her. Maybe I should stay here longer than I wanted to. You know what, you can’t bring any girl to enter our family,” His mother said. Nichkhun didn’t know what he should feel. Should he feel relief because his mother decided to drop the subject? Or should he feel afraid because he knew sooner or later, his mother can find out about his lie?

 

“I know but you’re the one who really wanted me to get married right? Now, I decided to have commitment in my life. Jessica, she’s my life now. And I hope you won’t give a hard time during your stay,” Nichkhun tried to warn his mother. He didn’t expect his mother to come. At least not at this moment. Not when his life in chaos. He didn’t know how long his mother was going to stay. The thing that he knew was during the first week of her stay, he won’t be here to support Jessica.

 

“Next week, I’m going to Japan. I hope you will treat her like your own daughter,” Nichkhun said.

 

His mother sighed. “we’ll see,” she replied.

 

“why don’t you rest in my room? You’ve been in a long flight right,” Nichkhun suggested when he saw his mother tired face. Considering coming here alone, he should feel grateful.

 

“it’s OK. I’ll just use the girls’ room. I don’t want to disturb your privacy,” his mother replied. Nichkhun gulped his saliva when he heard the words from his mother. He forgot about that thing. Thing that he and Jessica didn’t sleep in the same room. If his mother knew about this, she will get suspicious.

 

“mom, why don’t you stay in my room first. Yanin’s room is bit dusty now. you know, we don’t really use it. Jessica just place her clothes inside that room,” Nichkhun tried to explain. He was actually buying time to move Jessica to his room.

 

“OK, take your time. I want to sleep for a little while. Call me if you need any help,” his mother said.

 

*****************************************************

 

Nichkhun closed the door and looked for Jessica. Jessica who was sitting on the bed quickly stood up when she saw Nichkhun was coming. “oppa, are you crazy? Why did you tell your mother that I’m you girlfriend?” Jessica burst Nichkhun with questions.

 

Nichkhun sat at the edge of the bed while holding his head. “I’m sorry. I brought you into difficult situation,” Nichkhun said. Jessica took her seat beside him. She didn’t know why, her anger gone once she saw Nichkhun face. She knew that she shouldn’t get angry at him.

 

“why don’t you tell her the truth about us? Oppa, I don’t want your mother to think bad about you. I mean, I’m the one who’s bad girl here. if your mother don’t like the idea of me staying here, I can move out,” she said with low voice. Nichkhun looked at her.

 

“no sica, I’m the one who use you here. I know that I’m selfish but I have no choice,” Nichkhun confessed.

 

Jessica wrinkled her eyebrows. “what do you mean by that oppa?”

 

“hmmm… my mother, she’s been planning to get me married this year no matter what. She gave me a year to find a girlfriend so that she’ll be convinced that I’ve already forgot about Vic. So, could you please be my girlfriend for these few weeks?” Nichkhun said while looking into Jessica’s clear eyes.

 

Jessica laughed after a few moments. “so, is this a proposal oppa?” she asked.

 

Nichkhun smiled. “if you could say that… yes.. I’m proposing you to be my girlfriend and my future wife for few weeks onward,” Nichkhun asked. ‘if possible, forever….’he said in his heart.

 

“of course I do,” Jessica replied.

 

“OK, now, we have to tidy up this room. My mom wants to use this room. She said that she doesn’t want to disturb our privacy,” Nichkhun said with cool tone.

 

“do you mean that I need to move to your room? Since that we have only 2 rooms available,” Jessica asked. This house only has 5 rooms. 3 rooms upstairs and another 2 downstairs. 2 rooms downstairs already used as store and room for Nichkhun’s painting.

 

“Jessica, my mom thinks that we’re a couple. Of course we have to sleep in the same room. My mother will be suspicious if she sees us living in different room,” Nichkhun said.

 

Jessica didn’t like the idea of living in the same room with Nichkhun. Having Nichkhun around was enough to make her heart went crazy. She didn’t know what will happen if she sleep in the same room with Nichkhun. What if she suddenly hugs Nichkhun in her sleep? Or maybe did something like she did when she treated Nichkhun’s wounded face the other night? Aigooo~ Jessica!!!  

 

“jessica!!” Nichkhun’s voice brought her back into reality.

 

“you’re spacing out,” Nichkhun said.

 

“I’m sorry. Oppa, let’s gets moving. Your mother needs to rest right,” she replied.

 

Both of them quickly tidied up the room. Nichkhun brought some of Jessica’s clothes to the room that he redesigned as a wardrobe for his clothes. After they completed with the job, they climbed down the stairs.

 

“oppa…. you’re going to Japan right? When is it again?” Jessica asked.

 

“next Monday,” Nichkhun replied.

 

“oppa, today is Saturday and you’re living on Monday which is mean the day after tomorrow. Oh my God, what am I going to do?” Jessica asked in panic.

 

“sica, my mother is not that scary. She’s OK. You just need some strategis to win her heart. I’m sure, with your condition now, plus I’ve already warned her, I think she won’t be a trouble to you,” Nichkhun explained with smile pestering his face.  

 

“it’s easy for you to say that. But it’s me who’s going to suffer with your mother”

 

“hey, remember our lesson?”

 

“lesson?”

 

“forget already huh, mommy?” Nichkhun pinched her nose.

 

“your how-to-be-a-perfect-wife--mother lesson? Ring any bell?”

 

“oh, that lesson. What’s the connection with your mother oppa?” Jessica asked.

 

“just think that God sends my mother for you to give you chance to learn how to handle your mother-in-law. And you’re lucky because my mother is super scary mother-in-law,” Nichkhun said and laugh. Jessica pouted.

 

“laugh!! Laugh as long as you can. Oppa, you’re really evil,” Jessica said. Nichkhun continued to laugh.

 

****************************************************************

 

It has been 4 days since Nichkhun went to Japan. It’s mean that it’s already 5 days since his mother lived with Jessica. Jessica had pretty hard time dealing with her. Jessica didn’t why but she got the idea that Nichkhun’s mother didn’t really like her. Everything that she did, she’ll comment it. “you shouldn’t do this, you shouldn’t do that,” that word replayed in Jessica’s mind. Her mind quickly remembered the scene when his mother asked about Nichkhun’s favorite food.

 

“oppa told me that he really like thai food,” Jessica said.

 

“did you ever cook him any?” she asked.

 

“ne~ I’ve cook Pad Thai before… but I think it’s a failure”

 

“cook it for me then.”

 

“ne? wae?” Jessica asked.

 

“if you want to learn how to cook pad thai, you should learn it from the original. Where did you learn to cook pad thai?” Nichkhun’s mother started to ask more questions.

 

“internet” Jessica hesitated to answer.

 

“”so, take this chance to learn. OK?” Jessica didn’t believe with what she heard. And after the special lesson, Nichkhun’s mother changed. She started to accept Jessica even though she didn’t obviously show it.

 

Jessica still remembered when she asked her about what she wanted to eat. Jessica didn’t expect that question from Nichkhun’s mother because she’s been too cold and harsh to Jessica all those time.

 

“I want to eat shepherd pie,” Jessica said. She’s been craving for western all these time. And now, she had chance to eat some from someone that you can call it a pro. Nichkhun’s mother was really a good cook.

 

“I’ll make for you. Just go to your room and rest. I’ll call you once it done,” she said. Jessica refused to go.

 

“go! I don’t like people looking at me while I’m preparing the food,” she insisted.

 

Jessica rubbed her big stomach and smiled. “baby, are you full today? That shepherd pie is so delicious right?” she said to her baby. She slowly adjusted her sitting position. She’s already in her 8th months now. Everything that she did was limited. Her foot started to bloated and her spine always aching. Every night, she needed to wake up to go to the toilet. Doctor said that the baby made her wanted to go to the toilet frequently because the baby’s head landed on the urinary bladder.

 

“jessica?” Jessica heard Nichkhun’s mother called for her. She was already inside Nichkhun’s room, looking for Jessica. “what are doing?” she asked with concern.

 

“I’m massaging myself. I have pretty bad backache since this morning,” Jessica said. She really hope that there will be someone who can help her releasing this pain.

 

I wish that oppa is here…’ she said in her heart.

 

“let me help you?” Nichkhun’s mother said.

 

“ne?” Jessica asked.

 

“come, I’ll massage you,” again she said to Jessica. Jessica looked puzzle with her words. Nichkhun’s mother knew that Jessica still thought that she still hated Jessica. After spending a few days with Jessica, she knew that Jessica was a good girl.

 

Jessica sat still, enjoying the massage. Nichkhun’s mother’s hand moved slowly on her waist. “how long did you know Khun?”

 

“err, 2 years already aunty,” she replied.

 

“I mean, I knew him before that, but we got into serious relationship after few months he and Vic broke up,” Jessica lied. She knew she shouldn’t lie but she did.

 

“no wonder he refused every candidates that I proposed to him. So you know Vic?” Jessica nodded her head.

 

“I’ve seen her picture before” she replied.

 

“don’t leave Nichkhun like she did. Nichkhun, even though he never said that he missed her, I knew that he missed her badly. He became so busy with his job. He wanted us to him happy with what he achieved but me as his mother know inside his heart. What he yearn for…” Jessica felt guilty. Nichkhun’s mother didn’t deserve this lie. What if she found out later that she was just an imposter?

 

“au… aunty…”

 

“call me mom,” Nichkhun’s mother replied.

 

“ne?”

 

“I accept you as part of our family,” Nichkhun’s mother replied.

 

“ani… I… I.. I don’t deserve that.. I’m sorry but you have to know something,” Jessica knew that she already promise to Nichkhun but she needed to tell her the truth. She faced Nichkhun’s mother and took a deep breath before speak. “I was lying.. I mean me and Nichkhun lied to you. I’m not Nichkhun’s girlfriend and this baby is not his,” she said it. Jessica observed Nichkhun’s mother’s expression but she couldn’t find any changes.

 

There’s silence filled between the space. “I already know about it,” she replied and smiled. “I really appreciate it because you tell me the truth.” Jessica didn’t know how to reply. Nichkhun’s Mother knew about the lie.

 

“so, all this time, you know oppa was lying?” Jessica asked. She nodded.

 

“why you didn’t tell us anything? I mean you didn’t bash us on the first day you came,” Jessica asked again.

 

“when I saw the rumour about Khun getting fight, I called ahjumma. She told me everything. So I came to see myself”

 

“I’m sorry,” Jessica apologized.

 

“no, it’s not your fault honey. I know khun must be so stressed out with me arranging marriage for him. That’s must be why he used you to bait me,” Nichkhun’s mother smiled. Jessica replied it with a smile.

 

“so, he really likes you” Nichkhun’s mother asked after a long pause.

 

“is it a question? Or is it statement?” Jessica said with light laugh.

 

“a statement”

 

“why do you say that?”

 

“it’s a hunch. The way khun treats you, I know it’s special”

 

“heh, that’s his acting,” Jessica said.

 

“nope. I know everything that he did come from his heart. I know him,” she said confidently.

 

“oppa treats me like he treats his own sisters,” Jessica tried to defend her opinion.

 

“khun is always a good brother to his sisters and I know how he treats his sister. And the most important thing is, he never treated his sisters like he treats you,” she replied.

 

“when I saw you on my first day here, I hope that you guys are real. I mean you both look sweet together. When I saw the way Nichkhun treats you, I remember how he treated Vic. He never treated Vic like he did to you. I mean, with Vic, Nichkhun followed Vic’s lead. But with you, I can see he’s the one leading you. ” she continued.

 

Jessica looked at Nichkhun’s mother. “if…. I said if I get married with oppa, are OK with that? I mean after few weeks later, I’ll be a single mom. And this child is not oppa’s. are you OK with that?” Jessica asked.

 

“of course honey. Who cares about your past? Everyone deserves a chance right?” Nichkhun’s mother said while bringing Jessica into her embrace. Jessica smiled and wrapped her hand around Nichkhun’s mother’s waist. 

 

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

yeah, i finished with chapter 19... it's bonding session between Nichkhun's mother and Jessica...

the chapie is loooooong right? that's because i wanted to express my happiness because i hit 51 subscribers for this story...

never expect to have this much readers...

so, what do you guys think about chap 19? 

comment and advice are accepted guys.. 

i <3 you guys