002

Hidden Feelings

 

Its been a couple of months since Jaerin moved here. She fitted amongst some of my classmates pretty fast, which is not suprising seeing how Jaerin is pretty, smart and perfect. She also made friends with other students from other classes and her popularity rose up rather quickly, making friends with both juniors and seniors.

Its not like I’m jealous or anything. I mean, who on earth would have the right mind to ignore Jaerin. Sure, I’m not close to her or anything, but she’s really nice. Jua seems to be following her around too but after school, she would come to me as if I’m a magnet and she’s just some measly paperclip. As for intelligence, I could say I’m average. Though I have to admit, science is my worst subject. Looks? What can I say? I’m as ugly as a troll. Or so I think.

Anyway, the school’s mid-year examination is coming and I haven’t been studying much. So far, what I did that I consider as studying were doing my homeworks and writing fanfiction. I’m not really sure whether writing fanfiction is considered studying but it’s a way of improving my language skills, so be it. And here I am in a bookstore. Looking for revision books to replace the hand-me-downs I got from my cousin as my year’s syllabus changed.

I changed from my school uniform to a simple white tee with a red vest and matching black jeans since my house is just nearby. As I rummaged through a stack of books, I felt someone poking my shoulder. I turned my head to find a rather beautiful face. He’s not exactly extremely handsome or ugly, he’s just. beautiful. He was wearing my school’s uniform, you know, the one for the boys, and I began to wonder why I’ve never noticed him before. I blinked a few times, my eyes on his face the whole time.

“Um, excuse me, miss. I’m wondering if you have the box of Sharpie pens on sale?” He asked, his eyes looking at you intently. Confused, I glanced to my right and saw one of the employees at the bookstore with a slightly similar outfit except that the employees’ uniforms are of a red shirt and black vest.

“Ah. I’m sorry. I don’t exactly work here.” I explained to him. His eyes widen in embarrassment, he quickly apologised and left, leaving me dumbfounded. I shrug and I got back to book-hunting. After a while, I collected the books that I wanted and some stationaries, and went to the counter to pay.

As I made my way through the suddenly crowded bookstore, I bumped into someone, causing some of my stationaries to fall. I jumped down to pick them up and I felt someone else crouching beside me, helping me with my stuff. I stood up and was about to thank the person, only to find that it was Jaerin. She was still in her uniform but she must have changed her shoes to a pair of sandals.

“Hey, Jaerin. Book-shopping?” I asked, a smile carved on my lips.

“Ah, no. I’m here with my brother and he usually takes his time, scanning through books.” She responded with a slight shrug and a soft smile. I nodded understandingly and just stood there awkwardly, just as I was about to excuse myself, a boy came over and linked his arm with Jaerin’s. It was the same guy who mistaken me for an employee here. He looked at me and I responded by looking at him with an uninterested gaze. I don’t know why I did that. “Baekhee-ah, this is my brother Jongin though he prefers to be called Kai. Kai, Baekhee.” The only response he gave to me was that stare again, while I try to focus on Jaerin alone.

“Nice to meet you. Ah, I’ll go pay for these and take my leave first okay? See you at school tomorrow Jaerin.” I bowed to her and her brother, and quickly made my way to the counter.

*********

“Eomma! I’m home!” I shouted as I slipped my feet into a pair of slippers and made my way to the TV room. I didn’t think she heard me coming in though. She’s probably teaching the tourists how to make kimchi, judging by the strong smell of ingredients mixed together wavering from the wet kitchen.

Heaving a sigh, I plopped myself onto the couch, dropping my books beside me as I reached for the tv remote. I randomly clicked through channels and settled on a repeat episode of Strong Heart. I propped my feet onto the coffee table in front of me and watched as Leeteuk, Shindong and some other guy imitate a segment from Gag Concert.

“Baekhee! Keep your feet off the table! We have guests here!” I heard my mom shouted. I swung my feet off the coffee table abruptly and stood to greet my mom and the guests. She was carrying a basin of soon-to-be kimchi and four seemingly Australian tourists, following her around like eager puppies with plastic gloves. I bowed 90 degrees and they responded with a “Hey”, “Good afternoon” and a nod.

That’s life for you if you live in a homestay. The Cha Homestay has been open since my grandparents’ time and my mom inherited it and became the manager whereas my dad goes off running his father’s business too. But I get to gain something from this whole home business matter though. For one, I get to learn more languages and so far, I became fluent in English, Japanese and Chinese. Two, I get to adjust myself in this situation; being able to control my attitude both at home and in public.

“Don’t you have exams coming up? Off the television and go to your room and study.” My mom ordered and I reluctantly but obediently do as she says. Standing at the foot of the stairs, I watched as my mom and the tourists continued on to the dry kitchen before going up three flight of stairs to my room. The best part of living in a homestay is that my room is practically the attic. The atmosphere of my room is cosy and homey and its always clean, thanks to Muhwa, the homestay’s cleaner and my personal favourite staff member.

I dropped off the books I bought at the bookstore earlier on my desk and took a maths book with me and jumped onto my bed. The sheets smelt of sweet lavender, and I love Muhwa for remembering the fact that I despised the smell of roses. I flipped open to a chapter and begun reading. Sooner or later, most accurate would be sooner, I dozed off and guess who appeared in my dream.

Jaerin.

.

.

.

.

.

And Kai.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

WOOTS!

Another update~

But hey. I need to see comments so I'll know whether I'm doing a good job or not.

So please comment~!!

I always wanted to a comment reply in my fanfics and thinking of starting one but seeing the empty comments.. TT

Tell me what you think of this update , the previous update and what would you want to happen in the next chapter, arasso?

Don't forget to subscribe too!

- heartofseoul