One Off

Happily Ever After

 

A.N I wrote this pretty much in one day. So don’t blame me if it’s crap. Sorry if it is though. It’s all, ALL, in Chen’s POV~

 

 

It was dark out, just pass midnight when I got home. I hated having to come home so late, but that’s what my job entails. Early mornings, late nights and a big pay check I could smile at. It was the one thing I could be hopeful for.

I look at the house phone, three new messages. I sigh as I press play and start to strip to get ready for a shower.

“Honey, it’s your mother. Come and see us on Saturday!” My mother’s voice plays over the recording. I sigh again, probably another blind date.

“Yo Chen, don’t forget to pick me up from the airport!” Luhan’s voice rings out. I smile to myself.

“Chen-ah, don’t forget to get Luhan from the airport tomorrow, you know he’ll kill you if you do!” Sehun says. I chuckle to myself before I walk into the bathroom and shower.

 

It’s early. The sun isn’t even up yet, but here I am, at the airport. Waiting for Luhan to hurry up and get through security. Then I see him. I wave and he smiles. He walks over to me, someone following behind him.

“Ah…Chen this is YangFan.” Luhan says. I look to YangFan and bow, he smiles at me. He’s quite attractive.

“You didn’t mention you were bringing a friend.” I say as I look to Luhan. He does his cute smile; he uses it to get away with things. He could probably get away with murder using it.

“We should go.” Luhan says as he walks around me. I sigh and follow after him.

We get to the car and I help Luhan get the suitcases in the boot.

“When did you get a car?” Luhan asks.

“I didn’t. It’s Suho’s.” I say. Luhan nods to me.

“Come on, YangFan.” He says as he turns to YangFan. He nods and gets in the back. Luhan walks to my side and takes the car keys.

“I’m driving.” He says. I shrug and get into the passenger seat. Luhan gets in and starts the car.

“Do you know where you’re going?” I ask. Luhan nods as he reverses out of the parking spot.

“It hasn’t been that long.” He says.

Is it fair to say I can’t stop looking at YangFan in the rear-view mirror? He’s sitting in the middle seat, looking out of the left side window, his eyes going up and down at every tree. He looks like a fascinated child, and it’s adorable. I shake the thought out of my head and look down to my hands.

 

The way home was longer than I thought it would be from the airport. Luhan didn’t mind, he likes driving. I don’t think YangFan minded either. I didn’t mind, but I was getting bored being in that car, Luhan drives so slowly sometimes. We get out and the others are already there. The door opens to the house and Sehun runs out and pretty much jumps Luhan. I roll my eyes at them.

“He’s cute.” Kris says as he gets to my side. I look up at him and follow his gaze, landing on YangFan. I look at Kris as he looks at me.

“Don’t you think?” He asks. I shrug. Kris smirks at me.

“You do. I can tell.” He says. I shrug again and walk around him and into the house where the others are lounging around.

“Is Luhan staying here?” Tao asks me. I shrug to him.

“Probably.” I say. Tao nods.

“Does that mean YangFan is?” He asks. I shrug again.

“I…guess so.” I say. Tao smiles at me and I blink at him.

“Why…why are you smiling at me like that?” I ask.

“You’re too nice to Luhan.” He says. I blink at him again.

“We’re friends. I’m nice to my friends.” I say. Tao nods.

“Yeah…but hyung-” He starts but doesn’t get to finish because Kris pulls him away, to help Luhan and YangFan with the suitcases. I stand there for a moment before I go out and help them too.

 

“Cheers!” Suho says before taking a gulp of his beer. I lean back in my chair as I watching as he chows down on my meal. I push it to him as he continues to eat.

“Suho, I have to go to work.” I say. Suho stops eating and looks at me.

“I…know that.” He says as he swallows the food in his mouth.

“Then why did you drag me here?” I ask. Suho takes a sip of his beer.

“I just wanted to see how things were…with…you know.” He says. I sigh.

“Everything is fine, I have to get to work.” I say before standing.

“Chen. You can’t avoid this forever. You’re too nice to him. Move on.” Suho says.

“Suho, I have.” I say before leaving.

The cold air hits me as I walk out of the restaurant. It’s already dark, thank God I work nights and that the restaurant isn’t far from work. I walk into the tall building of offices and get into the elevator. I press the up button and wait.

“Chen.” D.O says from my side. I look to him.

“Yes?” I ask. D.O smiles at me. D.O isn’t his actual name, its Kyungsoo, but everyone calls him D.O anyway.

“Floor ten is being renovated, so you’ll be working on floor eight.” He says.

“Oh, ok. Thanks for tell me.” I say. D.O nods and walks away. The elevator stops with a ding and I get in.

 

 

You know, time flies when you have to work pretty much every night for two months straight. I guess I didn’t mind it, I usually didn’t mind it.

 

Let’s just say, work was fun. But that’s a lie because work is never fun. I walk out of the building slowly. It’s cool, and dark. I walk slowly towards the house. It would be nice if Suho actually came to pick me up. Like he said he would. But God knows what he’s doing and I actually don’t want to know.

It doesn’t take long to get to my street. I can already see the lights from my house, and Suho’s car in the driveway.

“He was here?” I ask no one as I walk up to the door. I fumble with the keys to the house for a moment before I successfully unlock and open the door. I step inside and slip my shoes off. I can hear the chatter of people. I walk over to the living room, everyone is sitting around on the floor, chatting and drinking beer and eating food Suho probably brought from work. They look up at me, except for Suho.

“Come and join us.” Luhan says. I shake my head.

“I’m too tired. I’m going to bed.” I say. I turn and walk away from them. I walk into my room and just drop onto my bed. I close my eyes and wish everything away.

Doesn’t work though, the door opens and closes.

“Suho…he talked to me…” Luhan says. I sigh and sit up. I turn to Luhan.

“Did he? He does that a lot.” I say. I yawn.

“He said you moved on.” Luhan says. I nod.

“Yeah.” I say weakly. If I could push Luhan out of the room and lock the door I would so I can sleep. But I can’t. Because one, Luhan is stronger than he looks, and two, I’m too tired to stand.

Luhan just stands there for a moment before he nods.

“I’ll let you sleep.” He says finally before leaving. I fall onto my back and close my eyes. It doesn’t take long until I’m sleeping peacefully.

 

It was only a creak but it woke me up. I sit up from my bed, the light is off, Suho or Luhan probably turned it off. I get out of bed and wonder out of the room and to the kitchen. The fridge door is open and someone is standing there, looking into the fridge. It’s not Luhan, he’s too tall. He turns to me, it’s YangFan.

“Hi.” He says with a smile. I smile back at him.

“Hi. What are you looking for?” I ask.

“Food…I’m hungry.” He says with a small laugh. I turn the light on and walk over to him. I look into the fridge; it’s stuffed with food D.O’s made for me…us.

“Well what do you want?” I ask. I look to YangFan and he’s staring at me. I blink at him.

“YangFan?” I ask. He blinks and his cheeks go pink.

“Ah…anything, I just want food. You pick.” He says. I nod and look back to the fridge. I grab a bowl of spicy rice cake soup and pass it to YangFan.

“Do you like spicy food?” I ask. He nods to me. I grab a bottle of water before I close the fridge door. I look to YangFan; he’s standing there looking at the bowl intensely. I laugh and he looks at me.

“Want me to warm it up for you?” I ask. He nods to me. I take the bowl and walk over to the microwave. I take the clear wrap off of the bowl and open the microwave before setting the bowl inside. I set the timer.

“Does…D-D-D.O cook food for you a lot?” YangFan asks. I turn to him and shrug.

“I guess he does.” I say. YangFan nods.

“You…and Luhan, you guys have a pass, right?” He asks. It gets difficult to swallow at that question.

“Yeah.” I say quietly and quickly.

“He didn’t say anything. It’s just something I’ve observed.” He says. I nod.

“Isn’t it…weird for him to stay here then?” He asks. I shake my head.

“We’re still friends, if that weren’t obvious.” I say with a small smile. YangFan smiles at me.

“You should smile more.” He says. I blink at him.

“Why?” I ask.

“You look even more attractive when you smile.” He says. And with that the microwave dings, YangFan gets the bowl and leaves me in the kitchen. My cheeks are heating up.

“Chen…what are you doing?” Luhan asks as he enters the room. I don’t look at him. I just stand there.

“Are you sick?” Luhan asks as his hand goes to my forehead, bringing me out of my daze. I look at Luhan slowly.

“I-I’m fine.” I say. Luhan nods and drops his hand.

“Are you sure?” He asks. I nod and walk around him, leaving him in the kitchen.

 

“Chen, are you ok? You’ve been out of it all day. Maybe it was a bad idea for you to work a day shift.” D.O says. I blink and look at him.

“I’m sorry, did you say something?” I ask. D.O sighs.

“You look so tired, Chen. Go home. And don’t come back for a week. Paid vacation.” He says. I blink at him.

“But…” I start. D.O shakes his head.

“Go home, Mr Kim.” He says with a smile. I stand slowly and leave the building. D.O can be so weird sometimes.

I walk home, and of course Suho is there. He should just move in, he’s here so often. I sigh when I walk inside. And then I hear it, . If I was holding something, I would have dropped it. My head spins, not because of the itself, but because I know whose it is. It feels like I’m suffocating and I run out of the house, down the street and get lost.

 

I’m ignoring all calls. I already know what’s happened. D.O went over to the house, as he usually does with more food and noticed I wasn’t there. Then he’ll tell the other two he sent me home early. Then they’ll freak out. And, my mobile rings. I look at the caller ID, Luhan. I put the phone down and let it ring. I’m sitting alone in a park I haven’t been in for ages. It hasn’t changed at all though. I close my eyes and hold my head in my hands as the phone rings again, Suho this time.

Twenty missed calls later, I’m still at the park. I hold my phone in my lap. It rings, but it’s an unknown number. I blink and sigh before I answer it.

“Hello?” I ask with a shaky voice.

“Oh, you answered. It’s YangFan.” He says. I blink a few times.

“How did you get my number?” I ask.

“Luhan gave it to me in China.” He says. I sigh, of course he did.

“Why did you call?” I ask.

“Well…Luhan and Suho and D.O are concerned because you aren’t answering their calls. They left the house just then to look for you.” YangFan says.

“Chen?” YangFan asks.

“Yes?” I ask back.

“Are you ok?” He asks. I blink.

“I’m…I’m fine.” I lie.

“You at lying.” YangFan says. I smile.

“Yeah, I know.” I say.

“Come home.” He says.

“I don’t want to.” I say. It’s the truth, I really don’t.

“Then I’ll come to you.” YangFan says. I bite my bottom lip.

“Where are you?” He asks. I tell him and he hangs up. I sigh as I put the phone down.

I actually didn’t think YangFan would find me. But I was happy he did. I look at him as he walks over to me. He takes my hand and pulls me up before taking my phone. He drags me out of the park by the hand. His hands are warm, and soft. I keep my eyes on our hands as we walk somewhere, I just follow him. We come to a stop and my eyes are still on our hands. We walk into a bar and sit down, our hands still connected. YangFan orders for us.

“Chen, go out with me.” YangFan says. I blink and look up at him.

“What?” I ask.

“Go out with me.” He says. My heart picks up a pace. I don’t know what to say. I’m not sure if he’s serious.

“I like you. I think. I want to get to know you more.” He says. YangFan his lips.

“So will you?” He asks. I nod, unsure if my voice would even come out properly. YangFan smile at me.

“Good, then I can call this our first date.” He says. I nod again.

 

It was dark by the time we left the bar, still holding hands. I liked it. YangFan’s warmth, his hands, his arms, his legs, let’s just say I like YangFan. He was nice, not to say anyone I’ve dated was mean. But he’s different, and I liked that even more.

“I’m older than you.” YangFan says suddenly. I look at him.

“You are?” I ask. He nods.

“How much older?” I ask. He smiles at me.

“Mm…A year or so…” He says. I nod.

“You’re not that much older than me.” I say. He nods. We get to the house, but we just stand in front of it. The lights are on.

“They’re back.” YangFan says. I nod. I can tell the door’s about to open.

“Chen.” YangFan says before he turns me to face him. His free hand goes to my jaw and he leans down, closing the space between us in a slow kiss, just as the door opens.

 

 

It was like time was frozen, and I didn’t mind it at all. YangFan’s lips are soft, but he’s stronger than I thought he would be. He drops my hand and goes to my neck, pressing down more. The more we kiss, the harder it is to breathe. I open my mouth to talk, but YangFan uses this as an advantage to deepen the kiss. And then some idiot turned the hose one and drenched us with water. In this weather, it’s freezing. We break apart and look to Luhan. He turns the water off and drops the hose. He walks into the house.

“Well I’ve freezing.” YangFan says. I nod and we go inside.

“Why are you wet?” D.O asks as we walk into the living room. I point to Luhan, who is sitting on the couch not looking at us.

“O…K. Where did you go?” D.O asks. I shrug.

“Out.” I say before I walk around him and to my room.

I didn’t notice that YangFan followed me until I was closing the door and he pushed in. I blink at him as he takes his shirt off. He looks to me and smiles.

“You don’t mind if I change in here, right?” He asks. I don’t answer because I don’t know how to.

“Chen, it’s fine, right?” He asks again. I nod. I can tell my cheeks are on fire. I turn around slowly and go to my dresser.

“Can I borrow your clothes?” YangFan asks. I nod.

“If they fit…you.” I say. I take out some fresh clothes and pass them to YangFan. He takes them and I get some clothes for me.

“Chen…can I kiss you?” YangFan asks just as I’m about to take my shirt off. I stop and look to him. He smiles at me.

“I-I guess.” I say. YangFan smiles more and cups my face with his warm hands and kisses me. I have to admit, YangFan’s a good kisser. His hands move down to my sides, and then I remember I’m still in wet clothes.

I guess YangFan didn’t forget because next thing I know he’s pulling my shirt off for me.

“I’ll let you change.” He says before he leaves the room. I stand there slightly stunned. I’m not sure if YangFan is just considerate, or a total tease.

 

I change and leave the bedroom. I walk into the living room and greeted with three smiles and a glare. Guess who the glare was from. If you guessed Luhan, you were right. I blink at him.

“What?” I ask.

“I didn’t bring YangFan here so you could date him.” Luhan says. I snicker.

“Yeah, and I didn’t let you move back in so you could have with Suho.” I say. Luhan’s jaw drops, actually everyone’s but YangFan’s jaws drop.

“How…what…I mean….” Suho mumbles. I roll my eyes at him.

“How did you know that?” Luhan asks. I don’t think he was actually asking me, but I did answer him.

“You’re loud.” I say. Luhan’s face goes red.

“Shut up.” He mumbles.

“It is the truth though…” Suho says quietly, but Luhan hears him and whacks the back of his head. YangFan puts his hand up.

“If it’s ok with everyone- I’m going to date Chen; and we will have a happily ever after.” He says. D.O looks at him oddly and Suho nods. Luhan shrugs.

“Good, good. Although I still would even if you didn’t approve.” YangFan says. It’s like he’s asking my parents for my hand in marriage, I’m not sure how I feel about that so I just smile.

 

Anyone for a- happily ever after?