Noraebang.

Love at First Rock

Hiyaaaaa~

As this is a mash-up of idols in one fic, we will introduce the characters per chapter. This also features A LOT of couples/ships. Please bear with us if ever we update later than usual, but we will update as long as we can.

As promised, Chapter One is here! ♥

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

 

“Key, please! Just… reconsider. I know you’re the right man in this position.” Jonghyun almost cried pleadingly while running towards his stubborn cousin. It’s been days since he discovered his high school videos of him performing in his school’s events.

 

And it’s been days since he’s chasing this cousin of his and asking him to be in his band. Jonghyun leads a newly established band together with his long-time friends. The only problem is that, they lack a vocalist that will complete the ensemble.

 

“I told you Jonghyun, I don’t sing!” Kibum, who goes by his nickname, Key, just continued walking. He just wanted a simple life here because he just transferred schools and now this cousin who he just met months ago was pestering him.

 

“Says who? Says you? Oh come on, Key! Even your umma told my parents how you were in Japan. Don’t deny it anymore and you can just help your cousin with his band, okay.” Jonghyun was persistent. His band just got signed up for a regular schedule in the nearest bar in town and he can’t let that chance slip. It was their lifelong dream to perform their own songs. It was Jonghyun who mostly writes their songs but obviously, Jonghyun couldn’t sing even if his life depended on it, so he was in need of a perfect vocalist that will sing his penned songs. Kibum just fits the bill.

 

“I… I can’t okay? I just don’t… do it anymore. Don’t be so persistent and leave me alone! If you want support for your band I can watch your shows.”

 

“Well, sorry to say cousin, thanks to you we couldn’t even go to our supposedly first performance next Saturday!” Jonghyun has had enough. He was so desperate to convince his cousin to join but it seems that after everything, his cousin just won’t agree.

 

Kibum felt the remorse in Jonghyun’s voice so he suddenly stopped walking and faced him. “First performance? But I thought you said you had your first gig already.”

 

“Yeah… in the university festival, get it? We just played with no one on guitars and vocals. Can you just imagine! It was crappy and everyone laughed at us! And now it was our opportunity to show what we’ve got and then you’ll just throw it away!” Tears formed in Jonghyun’s eyes unconsciously. He gave it all he’s got, he held auditions, print posters and even looked all over the campus just to search for someone who can sing, but he just couldn’t find any. Don’t get him wrong, there are so many talented singers but it’s just that when they tried singing Jonghyun’s song, he couldn’t be pleased. He’s getting desperate now.

 

“Jonghyun…” Kibum could see the eagerness in his cousin’s eyes but he just couldn’t say yes… yet. Seriously, he isn’t ready for something like this.

 

Kibum liked music ever since he was little. His adoptive Japanese father was a band drummer back then and little Kibum would enjoy listening to the ones he played at home. It was because of his stepdad that he came to like Japanese rock, and also he was the one who influenced him to learn how to play the keyboard.

 

It was a long time ago for Kibum now…

 

“All I wanted was for that band to be complete. You’re just… you’re the right man for it, can’t you see?” Kibum’s reverie was cut as Jonghyun choked and wiped away his tears.

 

“But then—”

 

“KEY. Please. You wouldn’t be Key for nothing, right?”

 

Don’t remind me of that, aish.

 

“Ani. Jonghyun, it’s just not the case any—” Kibum wanted to do him a favor, but then again, he knows it’s not by saying yes. There might be some other way. If only this cousin of his isn’t that persistent like he is right now.

 

“But you can do it! Are you having problems with Korean? My friends and I can teach you if you want, just—”

 

“I’ll… I’ll think about it okay? I… I’m going to give my answer tomorrow!” Key just bowed and walked away, leaving his cousin scratching his head in despair.

 

Aish, how could I convince this guy? Jonghyun thought.

 

“Jonghyun!” A voice was heard behind and the boy turned around to see a tall boy approaching him. He just shrugged and waved.

 

“What’s with the grim face?” The boy asked, furrowing his eyebrows and resting his arm over Jonghyun’s shoulder.

 

“Ah, nothing. I still fail in finding the right vocalist for the band.”

 

“Are you still convincing that cousin of yours? Oh come on, if he doesn’t want to do it, then let him be. It’s not like he’s the only one who fits the role.”

 

Jonghyun sighed. Well, the boy has a point. “You’re right, Minho. I just didn’t expect him to reject my offer, y’know. You better watch his videos. He had an underground band when he was in—”

 

“Japan. Yes, I know. You told me that already. Maybe he just doesn’t want to do it. Why force him? We can arrange a second audition for that.”

 

He just nodded in defeat. He knows that it’s useless anyway. At first Minho was persistent in having his cousin as the band’s vocalist, but knowing his long-time friend is not that patient when it comes to these things, he’s slowly abandoning the idea.

 

Jonghyun has known Minho for almost 4 years now since they have graduated from the same high school. Subsequently they found themselves enrolling together on the same university. Minho knows so much about him that he treats him as his own brother. They both share a great amount of passion in music, and in their sophomore year Minho met a freshman named Taemin, who plays the piano really well, and they formed a band.

 

But it all boils down to the same problem, every freaking year. They lack a vocalist.

 

The thing is, Taemin can sing but he couldn’t multi-task and play the piano at the same time. The other two, on the other hand, admitted to not being good enough. Sure, they can carry a tune, but they couldn’t deliver the song.

 

“If only I could poof out a good vocalist magically before Saturday.” Jonghyun sure is desperate. Who wouldn’t be? They’re about to have their first ever gig in 3 days!

 

“I know how you feel. I kinda feel the pressure too, and Taemin’s about to give up.” Minho sighed.

 

“Aigoo. We can’t just give up! We’re going to pull this off.” Jonghyun clenched his fist.

He knows that they just couldn’t throw this opportunity away. This could be their last shot, and he would absolutely do anything to pull this thing off, for the love of music.

 

“That’s what I like about you, Jjong.” Minho tapped his friend’s shoulder, more than thankful that he’s not willing to give their dreams up.

 

 

^^^

 

Kibum was walking home along the third block of the busy district. He just couldn’t get why Jonghyun’s family chose to live in this very noisy place. There were too many shops, too many people passing around that Kibum felt he just can’t breathe easily. It was noisy because arcades were all over the place.

 

He looked at his phone, it was almost midnight. He had to get home before his mom scolds him. He couldn't afford to get grounded nowadays. It’s funny how he has changed. Back when he was in Japan, he couldn’t care less about being grounded. He was always out of the house, busy with other things. He gets grounded but he would always find his way out, giving more troubles to his parents.

 

But that was the old Kibum. He promised himself that he would start changing his ways once he comes to his homeland, and so far, after 4 months of settling here (2 months of university life), he has well adjusted to his new lifestyle. After all, Korea is supposed to be his home.

 

Supposed to be—but then, no matter how much he wanted to force himself, he just couldn’t feel like this is home. He basically grew up in another country, has acquired the culture of a totally different race. Who could blame him?

 

Nevertheless, he smiled to himself. It has been a very wise decision for them to transfer here, his mother and him. Life was difficult back in Japan, what with his mother being a social worker (meaning she doesn’t have that much income). His step-father, being a musician, relied on gigs and when times get hard Kibum is forced to get a part-time job on the clubs that his father plays for.

 

That actually led him to form a band of his own.

 

Yes, Kibum had an underground college band, the 91 Line. Kibum never knew he had a knack on rock music until one of his first friends in the band, Jinwoon, made him sing on a composition he made. From then on, they made him the vocalist.

 

Funny how all the members are coincidentally born on that same year. Kibum had met them on various occasions, on various places, because of his part-time job. What’s even funnier? They’re all Koreans who were born and raised in Japan. He couldn’t be any happier than to meet people with whom he shares a lot in common. They became Kibum’s closest friends, and they were inseparable since.

 

The band had run for a good two years, until the time is up and everyone had to go on separate ways. Some had gone abroad, some just couldn’t continue, and some had to go back to Korea. It was one of the saddest moments for Kibum, having to say goodbye to his life as a band member and eventually having to worry about going back to college the next school year. Nevertheless, he remained in contact with some of the members.

 

It was the beginning of his junior year in college when his stepfather died. It happened so abruptly, because he never did say anything about how worse his health condition has become. See, his stepfather, who he fondly calls Otto-san because he grew up knowing he was his biological father, has complications on his kidney. It left him broken-hearted, for he treasures him so much. But life goes on, subsequently, Kibum’s umma, after months of mourning, had made a bold decision of moving back to Korea. She reasoned out that it would be good for Kibum to continue his studies here and besides, they didn’t have a lot of money to send him back to the university in Japan.

 

After all, his umma promised that after a few months, they would move out from staying with his umma’s sister (Kim Jonghyun’s mother) and buy a place of their own.

 

“Hmm… I think I should find a part-time job here as well, so that I could help umma in buying a house.” He thought aloud as he walked towards the stalls and establishments. It was a long row of cafes and noraebangs. Hopeful that he would find random job openings, he entered the nearest establishment he could find. It was a public noraebang, wherein the people just have to put coins in the slot and they can sing their hearts out. Kibum found it amusing to watch the people queuing up for their turn. The machine seems to be doing well in business, and he thought the idea of setting up a public noraebang was quite unique. He never saw anything of this kind back in Japan before.

 

“Yah! I was the next one! You’re cutting the line aish!” He suddenly heard a guy yelled. People turned their heads towards his direction. Kibum recognized the thick, broken Korean, he’s completely aware that he has the same condition. Nonetheless, the guy spoke the language fluently.

 

This guy was talking to another guy who was about to push the coins into the slot machine. This man just giggled (…Yeah, giggled.) and shook his head as he grabbed the microphone in front of him. “Just one song, cutie, okay? I just needed to sing this.”

 

“Mwo?! CUTIE?! Yah! Can’t you wait until your turn? I have lined for 30 minutes just to be cut by you?  AH JINJJA!” The guy was so frustrated that he threatened to get the microphone off the guy who cut the line, but the other just laughed it off.

 

“Just one song, alright? Come on, loosen up!”

 

Kibum swore he could almost punch the guy on his face for being seriously annoying. Just who does he think he is? He looked like one of those carefree college guys who just do random things because they’re bored.

 

“No. No, no, no, no, no.” The guy, who Kibum assumes to be Chinese (due to his thick accent) shook his head repeatedly and attempts to get hold of the microphone, annoyance evident in his voice and face.

 

“Aish, you’re no fun. I’m guessing you just got your heart broken, am I right? Because you wouldn’t be such a pain in the—”

 

Kibum wasn’t able to hear everything he said because he made a wise decision of walking away before he could totally punch that annoying guy. He chose to mind his own business instead. He has better things to do than to meddle into petty affairs. For one, yes, he needs a stable part-time job. Something that isn’t requiring a lot of physical effort…

 

He strolled around more, hoping to find what he’s looking for. Posters or anything to indicate that a certain establishment needs a man for a job. He didn’t notice he was walking further from the arcades.

 

“It seems that they don’t offer part time jobs in here. Aish, I just wasted my time.” Kibum muttered to himself as he walked off from the place. It’s already past midnight and he should head home, or else his mother will get dead worried.

 

He was about to turn to the left corner when he heard faint singing. He stopped, as the singing becomes quite distinguished. Kibum knows it was coming from the public noraebang. The sound of the microphone’s feedback was evident.

 

“If a picture paints a thousand words, then why can’t I paint you…?”

 

That song. Kibum felt himself dumbstruck just by hearing its melody. It was that song..

 

He stopped in his tracks, making sure he was really hearing the words clearly, as he decided to walk back towards to where the noraebang is.

 

He found the voice soothing, like he was drawn automatically into it. Kibum walked faster, wanting to know to whom that golden voice belongs to. It reminded him of something important in his life. He felt his eyes water up. It has been a while since he heard that song, and that enthralling voice was enough for Kibum to feel kind of emotional.

 

Too bad, it seems that the song was coming to an end. He doubled his pace until he reached the noraebang.

 

He saw the golden-haired guy clutching at the microphone like his life depended on it, staring annoyingly at the other guy who was pestering him earlier, ready to punch him everytime. Kibum stared at them confusingly. So… the golden-haired guy won over the slot and was the one singing just now?

 

“Cutie, don’t be so bad-tempered now, okay? I was just having a bad day at school so I just want to have some fun—”

 

“How many times do I have to tell you, don’t call me ‘cutie’! And what do I care about you having a bad day at school? It isn’t my problem. What my problem here is you cutting the line!” The pretty boy clenched his fist while holding the poor microphone.

 

“Are we going over this again? Let me sing for you then!” The brown-haired guy, who never seemed to be fazed by the scary glares the other was giving him, grabbed the microphone for the second time.

 

“YAH! What do you think you’re doing?!” The Chinese yelled as the guy who was annoying him punched some numbers on the machine and smiled at him sheepishly.

 

Kibum could almost laugh while watching them. He looked at the Chinese guy. Based on his unbiased judgment, he looked like someone who you never would want to mess with. He seems snobbish, and would only smile to his friends. Somehow, Kibum found him intimidating, yet it was hilarious how the other guy managed to stay goofy in front of him.

 

The crowd was just watching curiously at them.

 

“Yah you. Do you wanna die?!” His glare scared Kibum out of his wits.

 

“Hmm… maybe?” The other guy just giggled as he pressed the Play button and started singing… more like blabbering, in Kibum’s opinion.

 

*“Hana dul set! Welcome to the Super Show! My name is Donghae… let’s party tonight!”

 

Kibum swore he felt his jaw drop as soon as the guy started performing in front of the crowd. The brown-haired guy actually looks… stupid. **

 

Where did that guy get all his confidence from? Kibum thought.

 

“Hey won’t you take me to funky town? I’m international, baby~”

 

He pointed at the golden-haired guy who was just pouting his lips in annoyance, while singing the line of the song, and it made the other glare at him more.

 

The guy continued his eye-catching performance. Kibum couldn’t understand how the guy easily won the girls from the crowd as they were now chanting some lines and cheering for him. On the other hand, not all were enjoying the show, some were shaking their heads in disbelief and the golden-haired guy looked more annoyed.

 

The guy was making funny dance moves which Kibum thought was… again, stupid. It looked as if he was enjoying entertaining the audience. Kibum couldn’t care more of the guy’s goofy actions. He then decided to walk towards the golden-haired guy. He wanted to talk to him, wanted to ask him one thing.

 

Kibum poked the guy in the shoulder, a little hesitant to talk to this snobbish-looking guy. “E-Excuse me?”

 

“What do you want?” The golden-haired guy raised one of his eyebrows as he turned to face Kibum.

 

“Are you… perhaps the one who was singing a while ago?” Kibum bit his lip, unsure if he said the right thing.

 

“Excuse me? Are you making fun of me?” The other looked rather pissed.

 

“But please believe me, you have a great voice! I clearly heard you sing a while ago.” Kibum tried to persuade him but failed completely. The guy thinks that he was just mocking him, which Kibum couldn’t really understand.

 

“It’s not me, pabo! I sing way better than that idiot over there!” Kibum was taken aback when the golden-haired guy suddenly pointed at the brown-haired guy who was still singing and dancing goofily in the noraebang.

 

“HIM?! You’re kidding, right?” Kibum’s eyes widened in shock. He could not believe what he just heard from the golden-haired guy. There’s no way that the owner of that golden voice is none other than that guy.

 

“I’m not in the mood to joke around, and besides, he was the one who stole my friggin’ microphone not only once, but twice, TWICE! Can you imagine that? I waited here and lined for too long then he’d just show up and steal my slot, aish!” Kibum almost jumped when the golden-haired guy burst in anger.

 

Kibum didn’t realize that he was gaping at the brown-haired guy who’s almost done with his last few lines in the song. He was absorbed in thinking about that guy’s skills. Kibum can usually judge a person by first impression and his judgment never gets wrong. But this time, he failed and misjudged someone. He was curious to know this guy’s true abilities, what’s he hiding behind that goofy singing and dancing?

 

 “So… you mean… he… he sang that song earl—?” Kibum tried to confirm it again to the golden-haired guy but the guy was already gone. He tried to find him in the crowd but he was nowhere to be found.

 

The crowd applauded as the brown-haired guy finished his last line. He bowed and smiled at the audience who cheered for him the whole time. Kibum then approached him and gave him a friendly smile. “Annyeong!”

 

“Annyeong! Do you want me to sing you a song, too?” The brown-haired guy winked at the startled Kibum.

 

Kibum didn’t expect the guy’s reaction to his greeting. Do all Koreans have this oozing confidence like this guy?

 

“No, I don’t want that. Just answer my question, did you sing that song earlier?” Kibum frankly asked. There’s no point in saying nonsense introductions. He needs to get it straight to the point.

 

Oppa, Oppa by Donghae and Enhyuk? Oh, are you fascinated by my voice and dance moves, sweetie? Do you want me to do it again for you?” The brown-haired guy leaned closer to him and Kibum could only step back because of the guy’s aggressive action.

 

“I’m not really familiar with the Korean songs but I’m not pertaining to that one. What I’m trying to say is did you sing the song ‘If’ earlier?” Kibum is losing patience now. It’s getting late and he could not get a serious answer from this guy.

 

“Ah, that one. Yeah, but why are you asking?” The guy scratched his head in confusion. He doesn’t even know this stranger and he’s asking him weird questions.

 

“I’m Okada Kibum. Call me, Kibum.” Kibum beamed at him, offering his right hand for a handshake. Somehow, even if he’s not sure whether the guy was telling the truth, he was slowly feeling at ease with him.

 

“Are you Japanese?” The guy furrowed his brows, doubting the other’s nationality, but then he managed to smile again, this time teasingly. “Konnichiwa? Hai! Kampai! Aishteruyo!”

 

Kibum could only chuckle because of the guy’s goofiness. He admits he’s beginning to get used to it and finds his hilarious antics cute, fits the guy very well. “Your name?”

 

“Jinki. Lee Jinki.” The guy then made a chivalrous bow then excitedly shook the other’s hand. Kibum was again startled of the unexpected action of the guy so he quickly pulled back his hand.

 

“Nice to meet you, Jinki. I… liked how… err, you sang the song.”

 

“It’s one of my signature songs here. Do you want me to sing that to you?” The guy’s eyes sparkled as he spoke. It somehow made Kibum smile.

 

“Mian, I’m actually in a hurry right now… maybe next time.”

 

“Ah, keuraeyo? Alright! I’ll be—”

 

 “Now you have to come with me. I want you to meet someone.” Kibum immediately gripped Jinki in the arm and dragged him out of the public noraebang.

 

“Wait, sweetie, where are you taking me?” Jinki asked but didn’t even protest on Kibum’s sudden dragging.

 

“Shut up and just walk. We’re going to my house.”

 

“Your house? You’re taking me to your house? Are you hooking me up with someone? Is it your sister? Your cousin? Your mom?”

 

“MY MOM?!” Kibum was tired of listening to this guy’s nonstop chattering. He never gets tired of talking ne?

 

“Just kidding, sweetie.” Jinki grinned at him.

 

“Call me sweetie once again and I swear you’ll never live in this world again, ever!”

 

An insincere sorry was the only word Kibum heard from Jinki. He just let it pass since the guy was so persistent in anything. After that, Jinki stopped his blabbering, or so did Kibum think.

 

Kibum was in a hurry. His mother might be so worried about him right now. He needs to reach home as soon as he can, so he walked in haste, not minding that he’s dragging a lanky guy.

 

“Walk faster, Jinki. I’m in a hurry.” Kibum kept on dragging Jinki but the poor guy failed to catch up on his speed and tripped over a rock.

 

“Aigoo! Ouch! Ou—” Jinki complained but stopped when his eyes caught something, something that he didn’t expect. He noticed the perfect S-line in front of him. Jinki couldn’t believe how a guy can have a y curve like that of Kibum.

 

Jinki’s fantasy was cut when Kibum turned to face him. “Mianhae. Kwenchanayo?”

 

“Kwenchana, hottie.” Kibum didn’t seem to hear the other’s new pet name for him. Jinki quickly stood up and dusted off his pants then they made their way back to Kibum’s home.

 

As they reached Kibum’s house (technically Kim Jonghyun’s house), Kibum didn’t see his umma. He thought she might have fallen asleep since it’s already 1 a.m. He went straight to his shared bedroom with his cousin, Jonghyun. Kibum knocked on the door, wondering if his cousin is still up, or if he’s already sleeping.

 

“Is this your room? Why is there a need to knock on the door? You can just open it if you want to, you know.” Jinki, as impulsive as he always is, opened the door and entered the room.

 

“Jinki. No! Jonghyun might wake u—”

 

“AISH! You’re too loud, Key! Can’t you see, I’m sleeping.” Jonghyun’s eyes were still closed but he managed to get up from his bed. He rubbed his eyes to clear his vision and found Key standing near the door with someone beside him.

 

“And who is this hooligan with y—”

 

“I found the vocalist for your band.”

 

End of First Chapter.

* Donghae and Eunhyuk’s Oppa Oppa’s intro

** The brown-haired guy was actually imitating the dance moves in Oppa Oppa