Final

Foresight; I see you

 

Music is sound as long and slender fingers glide on a piano. There is an audible string of humming in the auditorium and expressions of awe in the audience, focusing much of their attention to the pianist on stage. There's a rhythm—a certain tune to which the musician is playing and it's in this melody he speaks his emotions. It's a melancholic tone, slow but harmonius anyway and maybe it conveys what he couldn't say himself.
 
Chanyeol stands abruptly, much to Kyungsoo and Jongin's surprise. He's looking everywhere, an incredulous look on his face as he does so. It's as if he could see invisible figures floating in the air. It is hard to figure. It's Chanyeol doing the very weird thing anyway, so it shouldn't be taken seriously. But his eyebrows furrow in dead intent, so serious but still nothing to seriously take note of.
 
"Where did the butterflies come from?"
 
Kyungsoo could only look at Chanyeol with a supressed laugh fighting its way out. He slaps Jongin's thigh when it comes out, much to Chanyeol's annoyance as he finally takes a seat. But this time he's following what he claims as butterflies with his pointer finger, wide eyes matching the gesture.
 
“Don’t you see?” Chanyeol prods further, shaking the still Kyungsoo in his seat in peace. Except it's not so peaceful now with how Chanyeol seems to insist something the other couldn't see. 
 
“See what?” Kyungsoo asks in pure confusion, tugging at Chanyeol’s shirt sleeve to bring him back down on his seat when he stands up again. He doesn’t really want to disappoint his friend of his false vision, but Kyungsoo admits in mind that it’s sort of bothering him and the others watching as well. 
 
“There are butterflies!” Chanyeol whispers in Kyungsoo’s ear, but as loud as can be. He wants so much to be as discreet as to not startle the others, but to no avail that Kyungsoo could only face palm and shake his head sideways, deciding to look at Jongin instead.
 
“What’s wrong with him?” Jongin asks, suppressing a chuckle before entwining their hands together.
 
“I don’t know,” Kyungsoo replies, tightening his hold on Jongin. “Visions?” He’s not so sure either. “He says he can see butterflies. Probably floating. I don’t really know.”
 
“I saw butterflies when I first saw you, too!” Jongin says, looking at Kyungsoo with wide eyes and his trademark smile that reveals the dips on either side of his nose.
 
Truth be told, Kyungsoo doesn’t know how he should feel about that either. But as to not disappoint and tarnish the smile on Jongin’s face, he chooses to smile and think that maybe it could somehow be true. He turns to Chanyeol whose eyes are glued to the performing pianist and whispers in his ear, “It must be Byun Baekhyun. You’re in love with Byun Baekhyun.” and Kyungsoo doesn’t care whether or not Chanyeol even heard what he just said.
 
Fortunately, Chanyeol heard it. What use does his large ears offer, if not? But Chanyeol could only be in deep thought as soon as Baekhyun the pianist’s performance ended, which seems to also be the last act of today’s recital. He wonders now why he even saw those butterflies floating in the air and ignores what Kyungsoo concluded for him. Because as much as he’d like to think that Kyungsoo could be correct, it could be wrong too as he’s only seen this Baekhyun person today and don’t even know him personally, but his music. As people stand up from their seats with a string of applauses, Chanyeol comes up with reasons and comes up with possible reasons he saw butterflies: 1) Baekhyun’s long and slender fingers gliding on the piano, 2) Baekhyun’s focus on playing the piano, and 3) how he seems to be in love with the smooth flowing music—yeah, it must be the music—that even made him see the vision, he concludes in mind with finality.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It’s in that little recital encounter that Chanyeol decides he’d do every means possible to get to know the Byun Baekhyun (who made him see the vision) better and it seems the odds are on his side because he chances upon him after the recital as he wanders around the backstage exit after leaving Kyungsoo and Jongin with no farewell. It’s not like they’d even notice. They only see each other anyway.
 
“Hey,” Chanyeol greets with his wide teeth-showing grin, walking over to the figure walking out from the backstage. And what did Kyungsoo say his name was again? Moreover, as he sees the pianist up-close and personal, he couldn’t help but think that he’s really pretty for a guy. Why hasn’t he seen him around the campus before? This Baekhyun has dark brown hair shining under the dim lights. He’s got a mysterious aura around him that Chanyeol thinks it's all the more worth to get to know him.
 
Baekhyun turns to the direction of the voice and looks at Chanyeol weirdly, but not directly at the taller because he’s looking at something behind Chanyeol. Chanyeol ignores this because almost all of the people he knows look at him odd like he grows a horn or two and he’s all but used to the treatment.
 
“Um, I—”
 
Baekhyun blinks once, twice, shifting his attention back at the taller male with a small smile now, snapping back to reality. “Yeah?”
 
“I think you were really great in your performance. That one just now.”
 
“Thank you very much,” Baekhyun replies, too at a loss for words.
 
“And I remember my friend Kyungsoo telling me you’re name, but I kind of forgot so. And it was probably mentioned in the recital, too, just now, but—”
 
“Byun Baekhyun, nice to meet you…?” and he’s all but looking distracted again at whatever image there is behind Chanyeol (not minding at all how the taller is obviously babbling) that Chanyeol couldn’t even figure what it is so interesting behind him. Because the last time he checked, it was just the wall. Nothing interesting, really.
 
“Park Chanyeol.”
 
“Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiles, a warm and welcoming one at that.
 
“So maybe I’m wondering…” he stops.
 
“Yes?” Baekhyun asks nicely.
 
“Uh, do you go left or right? Because this’ll probably take long. Do you mind company? And are you probably walking home?”
 
“I don’t and yes I’m talking a walk home to the right.”
 
“Great, ‘cause I’m walking the same direction,” Chanyeol pauses. “Your parents didn’t come?” Chanyeol doesn’t know why he’s even asking this, but he’s just so damn curious.
 
“I, uh—” They did, but they had to leave earlier, Baekhyun wanted to say, because he thinks that he may sound as though he’s not close to his parents which is the truth, but then he wants to sort of leave a better impression of his family background. He doesn’t want anyone to think he’s a rebel or anything of the sort, but looking at the tall fellow he just feels like telling the truth, so he settles for the truth, “—they didn’t. They had some matters to attend to.” 
 
Something more urgent than a son’s recital? Chanyeol wanted to ask, but settles for a more appropriate sentence anyway “Too bad, their son performed amazing too!”
 
And Baekhyun thinks that it’s been a long time receiving such praise. Previously it has all really been fake recognition with students from the batch talking bad about him about being only capable of playing the piano because he’s got no social life. He smiles to himself only then, because he doesn’t want Chanyeol to think that he turns all shy and his stomach churns with just one slight compliment he receives not so often. 
 
“Is your house near here?” 
 
“Yup, some 15-minute walk or less,” Baekhyun replies, starting a few steps with Chanyeol following suit at his side.
 
“Oh, okay. So um, I was saying… I don’t really know how to start it. I—”
 
“You’re babbling.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Just, you know, say it. It’s not that I’m getting impatient or anything, but it’s just I won’t eat you or anything. I don’t think whatever you say would do me harm, anyway,” Baekhyun says, lightly laughing at what he just said. 
 
“Okay, so I really really love instruments.”
 
And Baekhyun notes the over use of really.
 
“I really really love playing them, too. Some instruments I know how to play are the bass and electric guitar, djembe, and drums. Not to boast or anything, but it’s to start off what I want to ask you.”
 
Baekhyun now snorts at Chanyeol’s over use of ‘really’, though not really in various usage or meaning. He infers from the way Chanyeol speaks that he’s trying to lengthen the conversation—maybe because he finds it hard to say what he wants, because he doesn’t know how to get there, or he’s really just plain nervous, but Baekhyun finds this really really odd but at the same time interesting and rather compelling. He doesn’t know, but even if it’s the first time they’re talking, he already feels a sense of comfort in talking to the taller. 
 
“Okay, go on,” Baekhyun encourages. “But what is a djembe?”
 
“African drums.”
 
Baekhyun settles for, "Nice," because he doesn't really know what to say in response.
 
“—and you played really really well in your recital!” Chanyeol beams again, looking at Baekhyun with assurance in his eyes. “I swear I saw butterflies when you were playing!”
 
Baekhyun now looks at Chanyeol odd as an eyebrow rises quizzically. He couldn’t help it, so he laughed out loud now and stopped on his tracks to put a hand over his knee to stable himself. 
 
Chanyeol, on the other hand, doesn’t know whether or not he should feel offended or cry or something just to have a reaction. He doesn’t even know why he had to randomly blurt that out. He looks at Baekhyun with a pout, though, and bites his inner cheek after a few seconds, because he doesn’t really know what to feel. Baekhyun only laughs harder at this and Chanyeol is just left dumbfounded with an expressionless face now. Baekhyun stops laughing when he notes the silence.
 
“I’m sorry.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“I’m really really sorry,” Baekhyun prods, slightly imitating Chanyeol’s way of using really to see if it’d somehow work in apologies. 
 
“Forgiven.”
 
“So…”
 
“But I really saw them,” Chanyeol starts, looking dead serious now. “It’s okay if you don’t want to believe me. I don’t want to sort of believe myself, either. It may just be my imagination for all I know or I don’t know… maybe it’s a vision of sorts, but please don’t judge me.”
 
“You seem used to it,” Baekhyun notes, pausing. “I mean, do you get the reaction often? People looking at you odd?”
 
Chanyeol only nods.
 
“Okay, I believe you,” Baekhyun says, unsure himself whether or not the words came out merely out of pity or real belief. “But I want to tell you that I think it’s not weird and that it’s okay. Okay, maybe a little unusual, but I think people have wide imaginations. I think I do, too, and in my case when I play the piano and see musical notes in my head because music is what probably soothes and relaxes me and I think music in itself is enough for me.”
 
“You do?” Chanyeol asks, looking at Baekhyun with a hopeful expression.
 
“I do,” Baekhyun smiles, “And my house is here. Maybe I’ll catch you some time. You’re from the same uni, right? I mean, you know Kyungsoo, so…”
 
“Yes, but wait!” Chanyeol exclaims. “The thing I was telling you earlier. I don’t know if it’ll be okay with you, but like I’ve told you I’m really fond of musical instruments and playing them and music too and as to how I see it, you share the same interests. So I was wondering if it’s okay for you to teach me?” he pauses. “I mean you were really really great back there at the auditorium. I really really admire the talent you have, so if it’s okay with you, could you teach me how to play the piano?”
 
Baekhyun notes the over use of really again and could only laugh in mind, afraid to offend Chanyeol. But the minute Chanyeol asked about teaching him how to play the piano, his mind could only go on mode overload because he’s taking all the things at once and they’re too much at one go. They barely even know each other. The praise, the over use of really. Chanyeol, really. If Baekhyun’s not mistaken, this must be the first of firsts to be even asked the question. It’s not that he’s expecting and it’s probably the not expecting part that he’s shocked with this. He could only look at Chanyeol with his mouth slightly parted, not knowing what to answer.
 
“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol calls out, shaking Baekhyun slightly. “I—its okay if you don’t want to. I mean it’s a big favor to ask, anyway,” his face falls and his hands find purchase at the back of his neck, rubbing.
 
“I—it’s fine.” 
 
The response immediately brings a smile on Chanyeol's face as he looks up. 
 
“Can I get your number?” 
 
“I’ll punch it in.”
 
And Baekhyun does punch in his number when Chanyeol offers his mobile phone.
 
“I’ll contact you or something.”
 
“Yes, thank you.”
 
Chanyeol waves bye and as soon as Baekhyun enters his house, he could only settle at the nearest couch and think as to what just happened. He’s not falling, of course he’s not. The feeling is just overwhelming, he thinks, because it’s really been a long time since he’s had a friend and it’s hard to know what to feel.
 
But an image flashes in his mind and it’s in that mysterious scenery behind Chanyeol when the taller called out to him for the first time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun has trust issues and big ones at that, because he’s felt being taken for granted before. Or at least that’s his side of the story. It hurt so much that he promised himself not to trust again. When Chanyeol said that he wanted to learn the piano through Baekhyun, Baekhyun thought that they’d probably never meet again and that it was just a spur of the moment thing for Chanyeol. Well, because he could’ve forgotten the favor so easily and Baekhyun doesn’t really know why Chanyeol would take lessons from someone probably not qualified to teach.
 
A day after, though, Baekhyun is on his way to the bookstore just across the cafeteria and unfortunately passes through said route just because it’s nearer and more convenient for him. He doesn’t usually pass through the cafeteria, because he rarely eats at the location, but… halfway through the cafeteria, he’s caught by the wrist by a grinning lad looking up at him from lad’s seat. 
 
“Hey Baekhyun,” Chanyeol greets.
 
“Hey,” is what Baekhyun throws back, some kind of uninterested to even keep the conversation going on now. They met yesterday night that he thinks he was probably caught off guard babbling and talking at that point. They so say that people’s emotions at night are usually more sensitive and maybe the company Chanyeol gave him as he walked home just gave him a momentary feeling of protection. Plus, he thinks that it would’ve been rude to ignore Chanyeol after praising him and greeting him with a hey. Baekhyun notices Jongin and Kyungsoo’s curious glances at him, sitting across Chanyeol and Baekhyun thinks that he just might evaporate because he’s not really used to the idea of being watched. He always feels judgment on people’s faces, after all.
 
Chanyeol looks around, trying to find the words to say and ends up with “Have you eaten? Maybe you could join us.”
 
Baekhyun just smiles at him when Chanyeol lets go of his wrist and promptly rejects the offer with an excuse that he’s got an errand to run for a professor and that he’s eaten, because he really had just eaten his crackers and that he’s got a subject coming right up but definitely not an errand.
 
And when Baekhyun’s finally out of the picture and walked out the cafeteria completely, Kyungsoo’s eyes ask Chanyeol the where, how, and why they met.
 
Chanyeol seems to be aware of this as he replies, “After the recital. I saw him walking home and… the rest is history? But because of the vision, remember? Butterflies?” 
 
“Don’t tell me you told him about the butterflies?” Jongin asks, trying to hide his building laughter. 
 
“What if I did?” 
 
“So you did?” Kyungsoo asks, looking like he doesn’t want to believe it.
 
“So what if I did?” Chanyeol repeats. “He told me it’s fine and that there’s nothing wrong with it. Such friends you are!”
 
“No, I mean he must be thinking you’re such a freak or something right now,” and when Jongin says that, Kyungsoo could only look at him with wide eyes, because he knows too well that Chanyeol's got quite the temper and lack of tolerance for teasing.
 
“Says the one who claimed he saw butterflies too when he saw me,” and Kyungsoo only says that because he’s trying to appease Chanyeol and pacify the situation by exposing Jongin. Sure enough, Jongin’s forehead meets the table in embarrassment.
 
“But it’s a different case,” he mumbles, “I mean you only tell that to people when you’re absolutely sure you have a special place in their heart already.”
 
“Spare me,” Chanyeol says and laughs, hands clutching at his stomach because suddenly Jongin sounds like a whole new person. In a second, he’s forgotten that the conversation actually started out with an insult directed at him.
 
But the short encounters don’t just stop there. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun chances upon Chanyeol again about to walk in the library when Baekhyun’s seated at a chair of a 4-seater table. Baekhyun panics for a little while and it feels like his heart stopped for a second because all of a sudden he’s got a book in hand and waiting for the librarian to punch in his school ID for borrowing and he’s out the library quicker than Chanyeol could even walk up to him. He doesn’t know exactly why he’s ignoring him, but maybe it’s because of the fact that he found out Chanyeol’s sort of popular and Baekhyun doesn’t really want popular. The least Baekhyun likes is attention and he feels just oh-so-sure Chanyeol’s going to walk up to him again like he always does and he’s not entirely sure he’d like that—attracting attention and all. Plus, he doesn’t know what to talk about with him. If he ends up talking about notes and clefts that Chanyeol is just yet to learn, he thinks it’d be boring.
 
But even before he could walk out completely from the building, he hears a familiar low voice. Okay, so maybe the other night was their mere first encounter but it’s really easy to recognize Chanyeol’s voice from anywhere. 
 
“I don’t know if it’s just me, but I swear you’re ignoring me like a plague.” Chanyeol comes up to Baekhyun who's got his back turned, a hand on top of the shorter's shoulder. 
 
“I—” Baekhyun turns around. As he looks up at Chanyeol, he swears he could swear, except he couldn’t, but really… isn’t it that he just saw Chanyeol lining up to get in the library? So why is he talking to him now? Although he thinks he’s pretty much stiff and showing a blank face right now.
 
“I’m just joking!” Chanyeol snorts, but it soon turns to a chuckle and eventually a laugh when he sees Baekhyun pale and stiffen at the remark. “I’m just wondering when you’re free. Like maybe Wednesdays and Fridays or Tuesdays and Thursdays for the lessons?”
 
“Oh right,” Baekhyun says. “How about TTH?” 
 
“Perfect!” Chanyeol exclaims. “Boys night out is on Fridays.” 
 
Baekhyun wonders for a moment what boys night out is, but waves it off because he’s not really in the position to care about whatever it is. He’s got an idea, though. Like maybe it involves Kyungsoo and Jongin and he’s just glad he chose Tuesdays and Thursdays, because he knows there’s a possibility that Chanyeol just might try forcing him to tag along if ever he chose Wednesdays and Fridays. That is if when Chanyeol knows his loner status in life. Well, because Chanyeol seems to be the kind of person who'd drag people with a lack of social life to party, he assumes. 
 
So he smiles weakly up at Chanyeol and waves because he has to go and go he does, because it’s a Monday and they’ll be seeing each other for sure tomorrow. But after classes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So for a month they do see each other. It’s like a routine every other day after classes when they’d sometimes meet up at the auditorium on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Yes, that place where they first met. Baekhyun says that it’s much easier to walk home from the route there, but it’s just that he doesn’t want people knowing he’s with Chanyeol for well… his insecurity reasons.
 
He knows so much about Chanyeol now like how he has a dog and an older sister, his battles with Math, how his laughter somehow fills up an empty room, and how he sort of despises Kyungsoo's and Jongin's public displays of affection.
 
There’s a slight change every other day when he teaches Chanyeol play the piano. Chanyeol is an easy learner, though, so Baekhyun is not really all that troubled in the teaching part. He’s just a little baffled that sometimes Chanyeol also asks for homework help. It’s not that Baekhyun finds it hard or irritating or anything because most of the time, he prefers having something to do than not. He’s got his homework, too, but usually he does them when he’s in school so he’s really got time for all these. It's just that he prefers to have less time with someone else other than himself, because up until now he's still not so used to talking with someone on a daily basis.
 
But then again, Chanyeol never fails him when he gets them straight out fast. Chanyeol says that it’s because all his professors are boring and Baekhyun tends to explain more thoroughly. He could feel that he’s genuinely confused with some of the topics and so Baekhyun is willing to help. 
 
Apart from that, though, Chanyeol shows a side of him that Baekhyun is new to. Chanyeol is visual in a sense that he bases everything on what flashes in his mind. Sometimes he shares his visions like that of the butterflies he saw when Baekhyun performed on his recital, too. Or there are these random times when he'd recite a poem full of imagery with themes of nature.
 
Only that Baekhyun tends to be a realist and couldn’t really say that he entirely believes in Chanyeol’s visions and foresight and whatnot. It flatters Baekhyun, though. Those butterflies. He thinks just as well back to that time when he met Chanyeol and he swears he witnessed fall literally. He doesn’t know if it was his eyes playing with him because it was spring and he swears he saw fall and behind Chanyeol were scattered and falling leaves and Baekhyun thinks it’s impossible because when he looked behind Chanyeol for the third time, he saw just the wall he was leaning on before he said ‘hey’.
 
Sometimes, too, when they're done for the day and until who knows what time; probably until 7 or 8 and bored and tired, they would just randomly and comfortably talk of things under the sun. The conversation topics vary, but Baekhyun is a little limited in what he says and doesn't tend to dwell much on the deeper side of him just because. Baekhyun thinks that it's probably not the time to get too attached, but it's scary how Chanyeol makes him feel really at ease and he thinks that there's trouble coming up in regard to this.
 
So right now Baekhyun is thinking of all these things and spaces out and doesn’t even notice Chanyeol leafing through an open photo album at his bedside table. 
 
“Baekhyun.”
 
“Yeah?” and when he looks up, he’s a little startled because he sees a familiar face he hasn’t seen in years physically in the photo album Chanyeol is leafing through. He freezes, gulps, and doesn’t say anything anymore after that. He just sits and stares at the floor he finds interesting at the moment. 
 
Chanyeol seems to have noticed this and quickly shuts the photo album closed and sits with a bit of distance beside Baekhyun. He looks at him and notes just how Baekhyun looks like he’s pondering and thinking deeply. He doesn’t think twice and says, “Sorry. I didn’t mean to.”
 
“It’s not your fault. It was opened. I think I opened it yesterday and forgot to close it.” 
 
“You looked really happy, though,” Chanyeol remarks and smiles at Baekhyun when he turns his head toward him. “You don’t look too happy when I see you around campus.”
 
“Does it show that much?” Baekhyun asks, still not looking up at Chanyeol. “Is it obvious?” His tone changes, strangled and stuttering almost as if he’s willing to shun the sullen part of him and replace it with a fake happy demeanor. But it’s not like feelings work that way and Baekhyun’s one for keeping his heart on his sleeve.
 
“I don’t know with the others,” Chanyeol replies, “But I do notice. Ever since that time at the recital. Maybe it’s the butterflies’ effect. Your piece really struck me because it was sort of happy, yet you didn’t look like it. It turned out more melancholic than anything, but it was still good.”
 
“Chanyeol, I—,” he curses, putting a hand up to his face to only feel tears building at the corner of his eyes. He couldn’t control his feelings again and just how Chanyeol’s every word seem to be affecting him. He’s never ever had anyone analyzing him like this before except Luhan—that boy on the photo album he looked happy with and his ex-best friend.
 
Baekhyun doesn’t think twice and heads toward the comfort room’s direction with Chanyeol following closely. But stops when Chanyeol speaks.
 
“I don't think you're okay.” and Baekhyun thinks that he just might kill himself because he feels so much sincerity in Chanyeol’s words and the thing is he doesn’t want to get too attached, because of his issues and everything that couldn't make him recover a part of himself. He doesn’t even know why he agreed with this teaching thing in the first place now that he’s thought about it. “Baekhyun?”
 
And Baekhyun doesn’t know what he’s doing. Just that he turns around and buries himself in Chanyeol’s welcoming chest just because he can and wraps his arms around him. For a moment, Baekhyun feels warmth and maybe… just maybe Chanyeol could be that one person he’d trust again. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"I'm having difficulty reading the notes on staff," Chanyeol blurts out one day, resting his hands on his side and stopping with playing. Baekhyun's  seated beside him on the piano bench. "Can't I just learn chords, instead? And what's this time signature again?"
 
"Believe me when I say learning the notes is far better," Baekhyun looks at him, rolling his eyes. "Because honestly speaking, you only get through certain songs because chords are only ready-made for some. Unless you're good enough to play by ear. And that's one four obviously. It says one." 
 
And then Chanyeol starts, "Baekhyun....." and Baekhyun's name fades out slowly. Chanyeol turns to face Baekhyun with a pout, looking at Baekhyun's eyes because he's trying to find something in them. 
 
Baekhyun raises a brow at him because he thinks that Chanyeol isn't listening again. 
 
"Tell me..."
 
"What?" 
 
"In that picture... Luhan..."
 
"What are you—" and Baekhyun immediately realizes where Chanyeol's going to—that Chanyeol is pertaining to that picture he accidentally saw a few days ago. Chanyeol knows Luhan's name because it's written in the photo and he doesn't even wonder. "Let's not—"
 
"Tell me," and it's rude how Chanyeol interrupts, but the way that he's staring at Baekhyun makes Baekhyun bite on his lower lip. He sees just how dead intent Chanyeol's stare is and all of a sudden he's looking everywhere else except Chanyeol's eyes. 
 
Chanyeol on the other hand doesn't even know anymore. He feels a mysterious aura around Baekhyun that he's sure he's ready to unveil. He wants to get to know Baekhyun more whatever it takes and if he should keep giving deeper details about himself, he's willing enough and he has. All he's sort of mentally asking with his eyes now toward Baekhyun is that he does the same. It's not that Chanyeol could actually do something about it, just that he thinks Baekhyun could use a friend. He's fully aware how Baekhyun is around school and how they're both socially awkward, only difference is that he actually has Kyungsoo and Jongin and Baekhyun only even has is him.
 
"I—"
 
"Never mind," Chanyeol looks away finally, feeling guilt at the pit of his stomach for even forcing the story out of Baekhyun.
 
"I—"
 
"It's okay."
 
"Look," Baekhyun says. "You've been bugging me about it, so I'll just tell you to get it out of my system as well."
 
"But no, I don't want to sound as though I'm forcing it out of you!" Chanyeol almost yells, his eyebrows scrunched nearer each other now.
 
"But you are and don't you even deny it. I am telling either way," Baekhyun says with finality. 
 
Chanyeol wouldn't tell, but he's mentally celebrating victory because he wants this and he's just in denial. Yes, he's still a little bit guilty but then if Baekhyun's willing to tell it now then why not? What's to waste with probably a good story? 
 
But Baekhyun thinks Chanyeol's smile kills the pretence, because he fully well knows the taller wants the story and right now he's getting it. Baekhyun doesn't know but he just feels like there's a sense of obligation to tell Chanyeol and so he is about it to get to it now.
 
"So..."
 
"First question's first though," Chanyeol interrupts again. "Were you together?"
 
"Together?" Baekhyun asks in confusion. "Together!?" He finally gets it. "Of course not! We were just best friends," he says in defense that Chanyeol swears he could burst out laughing, not only because he's relieved but because the look on Baekhyun's face reads 'not in a million years' or 'impossible!'.
 
So when Baekhyun notes the seriousness in Chanyeol's face and his intent to listen, he starts his tale about his and Luhan's broken friendship. He tells Chanyeol that his relationship with Luhan is like that of a blood-related brother—that he knew Luhan's parents and was treated just like their son and that Luhan knew Baekhyun's parents too and was treated sometimes even better than their son that Baekhyun is. And not that Baekhyun particularly was bothered by that, because the start of his insecurities didn't even stem from that. It's just to start off the story with Baekhyun describing just how close his relationship with Luhan was that not even a boyfriend or a girlfriend could kill it and it's not that it particularly killed their time with their used to be other halves as well—it was actually pretty well balanced, Luhan and Baekhyun's life before said argument that eventually led to a broken friendship. It's actually perfect how they were never ever mistaken as a couple, because they never really were. 
 
It's just that at one point in Luhan's life, he met an Oh Sehun and Baekhyun just happened to dislike the latter.
 
Luhan couldn't really blame Baekhyun for his dislike of Sehun because the latter used to be a lady's man, but Luhan told Baekhyun otherwise that Sehun has changed and for the better, but Baekhyun refused to buy it. It's just that in Baekhyun's perspective of being the closest to Luhan, he didn't want the latter to hurt and take risks with Sehun only to get his heart broken in the long run—at least not when Baekhyun fully well knew that Luhan doesn't take heartbreaks too well. Furthermore, Baekhyun was outright worried that Luhan would spend all of his time with Sehun and it just might result to the end of their friendship and eventually it did. 
 
It's in that incident when everything else was blown out of proportion and a broken friendship formed. Luhan mistook Baekhyun's protective nature for jealousy and one that most likely leads to a more than best friend's situation. Baekhyun on the other hand felt used for the friendship they shared for all these years. Baekhyun didn't once ever think in his life that Luhan would think of him wrongly and all because of an Oh Sehun. Eventually, Baekhyun transferred schools having no other friend to trust and it's in that time as well when Baekhyun thought of trust not an essential in his life. Baekhyun became the kind of person who, when he thinks that a broken relationship can never be the same or mended, it's probably not necessary to fix it.
 
But Baekhyun concludes that maybe it's a problem with his attitude, too. The day he and Luhan had a talk, Luhan stated being suffocated in their friendship that he couldn't even decide for himself anymore. Clearly, Luhan didn't like that and Baekhyun might be wrong too, but that's how his insecurities started. Thus the start of isolation and his focus on playing the piano alone that eventually led to a recital that Byun Baekhyun knew the existence of a Park Chanyeol.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun has three classes the same with Chanyeol on second semester. He doesn’t know why, but it does happen and they get closer. Two out of three subjects during Tuesdays and Thursdays are also right before dismissal, so they find it sort of easy that Chanyeol drops by at Baekhyun’s house for his piano lessons. Baekhyun becomes less insecure being seen hanging out with Chanyeol. Chanyeol is warm and really optimistic that it's impossible to even ignore him. Sometimes Baekhyun just needs some support and he doesn't think it would hurt. There are times, though, when Chanyeol seeks Baekhyun’s presence during their same class on a Wednesday right before lunch, but Baekhyun's almost always run out of the classroom even before anyone could have enough time to approach him because Chanyeol is taking so slow in fixing his things.
 
Baekhyun notices that Chanyeol is always the one who approaches first and thinks that it's probably fine to keep it that way, rather than ignoring him.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So one day when Chanyeol catches up to him on a Thursday dismissal that they apparently don't have piano lessons on because Chanyeol has something required for an org, he says his usual hey with his teeth rich smile and mismatched eyes smiling with them and asks Baekhyun if he would like to come along to a boys night out for tomorrow.
 
Baekhyun thinks about boys night out and how it rings in his ears and he recalls that he's heard Chanyeol mentioning this from before when they were scheduling their piano lessons. 
 
"I—" and at the back of Baekhyun's mind, it's saying no and no is it really but when he looks at Chanyeol and the anticipation on his face that screams that he's anticipating rejection, Baekhyun is all but guilty and puts on a sour face that Chanyeol doesn't see because right now he's looking at the ground and the feet in front of his which happens to be Baekhyun's. 
 
Baekhyun thinks that he's yet again cheated on this game everyone calls the guilty game. It happened too at that time when Chanyeol kept prodding him about that story concerning Luhan. Baekhyun thinks it's unfair and wants to hit at Chanyeol's chest just so he gets off his back for a whole day just for a break, but Baekhyun breaks into a smile and just nods silently while he peers up at Chanyeol who's now jumping and puts his arms around him.
 
"It'll be fun!" he exclaims and Baekhyun thinks that it should be not that he really thinks it would because he's only even going for Chanyeol. "It wouldn't be much, though. I mean with Jongin and Kyungsoo. There'll be movies and food and I'm just so fed up with them eating each other's face right in front of me."
 
"Okay, okay," Baekhyun cuts in. "I'll see you tomorrow then." 
 
But even before he could cross the street in front of their university, Chanyeol catches up to him again and says "Promise?" half asking-half pouting while looking down at Baekhyun.
 
"Promise." 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"You're undeniably glowing today," Kyungsoo notes, watching Chanyeol strut going toward him, whistling, smiling and all that in the school library.
 
"Is it that obvious?" the taller of the two asks, pulling a chair out from beside Kyungsoo.
 
"So what did you do this time?" Kyungsoo asks, choosing to ignore Chanyeol's question and proceeding to directly ask his own.
 
"I'm making Baekhyun tag along to the night out tomorrow!"
 
"Oh," Kyungsoo side eyes Chanyeol and watches him keenly; his actions, his body language, his eyes—just trying to grasp a piece of Chanyeol's mind and what he may be thinking...or who.
 
"I need an ally in being able to withstand Kyungsoo and Jongin," Chanyeol spouts as though Kyungsoo is not one of the two he's talking about. He appears as though he could sense Kyungsoo is suspecting, but he's not entirely sure.
 
"Right," Kyungsoo utters before muttering a "You so like him." that Chanyeol apparently still catches. 
 
But it's weird when Chanyeol just looks at Kyungsoo so seriously.
 
"I do like him...I think," Chanyeol breathes out in realization, blinking his eyes as if trying to see if everything's reality and he's residing in it. "I'm probably not even interested in piano any more than I'm interested in Byunbaek." 
 
"Knew it all along," Kyungsoo says, snapping Chanyeol out of his daylight dreams. "It's bound to happen one way or the other."
 
"You and psychology."
 
"Baekhyun and you."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So the next day after classes and a few hours to spare, they do have a boys night out at Kyungsoo's crib. And well, it's literally not out because they are at Kyungsoo's but at least Jongin, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol are out of their very own houses.
 
But then at least there's one official material to consider this sort of a small scale boy thing—that is soju and soju leaking out from everywhere and a bottle of cream like they use in dramas.
 
There's no such thing as a formal introduction when Chanyeol introduces Baekhyun to Jongin and Kyungsoo. For Chanyeol, everything is casual and happy and he thinks that things eventually work out in the end. Moreover, Kyungsoo at least knows Baekhyun enough and neither is Jongin foreign to the presence of Baekhyun—not after that time at the cafeteria.
 
Baekhyun doesn't notice the genuine smile and the unusual crinkling of Chanyeol's eyes and the lifting of his cheekbones when he's doing the introductions, but Kyungsoo is witness to all this and doesn't bother to tell Jongin earlier on.
 
They go on for hours just watching Hangover and its sequel at Kyungsoo's bedroom, all four of them splayed out on the king-size bed in front of the television set, their chests pressed to the sheets. The order starts with Kyungsoo, next to him is Jongin of course, then Baekhyun and lastly Chanyeol. It's a little weird for Baekhyun—hanging out and all with only but one person he's comfortable with among the three people he's with at the moment. 
 
But for the whole duration of the movies, Baekhyun isn't much bothered just that he's literally boring holes through Kyungsoo's and Jongin's direction making out. And for that, Baekhyun thinks no one really cares about the movie playing anymore. Jongin appears to have noticed this and is uncomfortable when he awkwardly shies away from Kyungsoo and Baekhyun looks away. Jongin must have expressed his discomfort when Kyungsoo momentarily stands up and looks at Chanyeol who's leaning on the headboard before switching the lights off. 
 
It's obvious that Baekhyun is startled when he sits up and looks around and certainly didn't notice beforehand Chanyeol's disappearance from his side. But as he sits up, he finds hands clutched to his sides. When he turns around, he finds a wide-eyed Chanyeol who closes his eyes just as fast as he glanced over to Baekhyun's eyes and shuts his slightly parted lips too. They just remain in that position for a few minutes until Chanyeol finally whispers to Baekhyun's ear, "I'm kind of afraid of the dark." 
 
And for that, Baekhyun holds Chanyeol's hand throughout the movies out of instinct and want. Baekhyun doesn't know where the sudden warmth he feels suddenly came from.
 
When the movies end, they all sit up on the bed with the lights switched on again. They talk on and on with Baekhyun barely saying anything. Chanyeol tries so hard to make remarks about the movie they just watched, but ends up failing because he knows in himself Baekhyun kept him too distracted the whole time to even care. And it's not like Jongin and Kyungsoo will be good contributors in this aspect either, so they let the little conference die down and choose to have dinner instead.
 
After a while more, Baekhyun finds it late and is bidding his farewell. Usually, in boys night outs, Chanyeol stays over and sleeps and so he only goes over the door as much an attempt to walk Baekhyun home.
 
When the door clicks shut, Chanyeol is moving over the couch across Kyungsoo and Jongin and huffs with a frown forming on his face.
 
Suddenly Jongin starts, "It's weird. It's weird how he's so quiet...so introvert. It felt awkward kissing Soo in his stare. It just didn't feel right. It's like I don't know. I just think he looked really anxious and careful or what, but he doesn't really want to talk. Like maybe a few remarks here and there, but it's hard to get through when he's not even making the effort. And in school, I only ever see you with him and in rare times too. Oh, isn't he also the student who everybody talks about focuses too much on his piano resulting to him not socializing much? Chanyeol-ah, what is wrong with—"
 
It comes out a little raspy and extra deep but still Chanyeol manages to say, "What is wrong with who?" except he's not really asking that. It comes out more of a warning. Well, because he doesn't like where Jongin's heading to.
 
"Baekhyun?" Jongin says with a tone of 'obviously?' because how could Chanyeol not identify who he was just talking about?
 
Chanyeol is offended with that and raises an eyebrow at Jongin's direction and defends, "I think he's fine the way he is. You should learn how to differentiate what passion is from others, Jongin." and Kyungsoo elbows Jongin and raises an eyebrow directed to him, too, and finally whispers something to Jongin's ear.
 
"You couldn't have?" all of a sudden Jongin is beaming and has that teasing tone in his voice looking at Chanyeol. Surely, Jongin's not one for assuming or concluding at the first signs of Chanyeol probably liking Baekhyun. Not at the recital, not at the cafeteria encounter, and definitely not the recent I invited Baekhyun to the boys night out idea. 
 
Chanyeol just knew in an instant what Jongin's referring to and hides his smile when he turns around to empty space. 
 
And it's true.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But on the other hand, as Baekhyun settles on his couch immediately after opening his front door, there comes that feeling of insecurity again. The feeling of isolation, of not being able to fit in—he felt that with Jongin's piercing gaze. He felt different being among them. He felt uncomfortable. Kyungsoo was fine, though. Although, he has to believe it because he doesn't want to keep lying to himself that only Chanyeol makes the effort to even keep the conversation going when its died down even before it's started. 
 
And then Baekhyun's mind drifts back to Chanyeol and the feel of his large hand on his. There's an image of Chanyeol's awkward eye smiles imprinted in his mind. There's a sense of dependency he has on Chanyeol and he feels like he's trusting him—trusting him too much. Baekhyun feels a strange and funny feeling in his heart and he decides that he doesn't want it. He thinks that his feelings are growing rapidly and at a very fast rate and it's all redundant that he refuses to accept it. When he meets Chanyeol again, no matter what circumstance, he knows what to do already.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Saturday morning and Chanyeol's at the grocery store, dropping daikons, apples, and bananas on a cart as he goes through aisles and more aisles of the grocery store. He's stocking up on necessities needed at home that need to be replenished. He almost grabs for a bottle of shampoo until he spots Baekhyun clad in a dark blue plaid polo and white pants attempting to reach a tissue high up on one of the shelves. Chanyeol goes so eagerly near and reaches for it instead, looking down at Baekhyun and dropping it in Baekhyun's hand carry cart before he smiles.
 
"Hi Chan..yeol," Baekhyun croaks, managing a small smile.
 
He remembers his mental note to self last night to do all means possible to keep Chanyeol away from him because of his growing attachment for the taller. He told himself to do it the soonest he sees Chanyeol again and it's now, but he just can't seem to form the words or reasons if Chanyeol asks why. He didn't really expect to see Chanyeol in a grocery store. He plans to actually break the sad news this coming Tuesday on their next scheduled lesson.
 
"Hello Baekhyunnie," Chanyeol greets back as well, complete with his eye smile and teeth showing. 
 
Baekhyun doesn't miss the nickname Chanyeol calls him with. To Baekhyun, it's uncomfortable because all of a sudden he's so seemingly observant of all actions Chanyeol does. He looks up gulping, watching Chanyeol's face break out in a smile with mismatched eyes and pearly white teeth. He wants so much to say goodbye right there and then and isolate himself from all the world just because his heart's beating wildly fast as he looks down. But as he looks up at Chanyeol again, he's pouting and Baekhyun just can't help but stare and catch a glimpse of Chanyeol's obviously pouty red lips. He contains his feelings, biting down on his lower lip as well and realizes this is attachment—and too much of it.
 
"Ch—" he says, but it comes out in a low whisper because all of a sudden Chanyeol's speaking so much louder and it drowns whatever Baekhyun was trying to say.
 
"So Baekhyun, could I come by your house later?"
 
"What?" he looks at Chanyeol blankly.
 
"I said there's this piece I really wanna learn. It's kind of a sappy love song, but I really like it," Chanyeol answers with a smile. "But it's okay if you've got something to do. It can wait until Tuesday." and he says it ever so genuinely considerate and waits for whatever will be Baekhyun's reply to this. 
 
"No, it's fine," Baekhyun finally replies. "I've got something to tell you, anyway." and he starts walking away once he realized that he's done for the day approaching the cashier. He hears Chanyeol's voice in the background calling for him softly and eventually stopping and he thinks that he probably got too engrossed in picking out between two products. 
 
Nonetheless, Baekhyun thinks that this is it despite the uncomfortable feeling Chanyeol's smile gives to him.
 
On the other hand, Chanyeol can't help but think that Baekhyun appears really extra preoccupied today as he stares at Baekhyun's retreating back. He doesn't mind being ignored after his consecutive soft calls of Baekhyun's name, but there must be something eating Baekhyun inside is what he thinks. Chanyeol couldn't quite put a finger on it, but there is definitely something wrong and off and maybe he'll find out later. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
An hour later, Chanyeol does come by with printed music sheets in hand. The piece is entitled You and I Both and Baekhyun only plays it with abandon when Chanyeol puts it on the piano rack. It's been tradition ever since they started their lessons that Baekhyun plays a piece first and play he does with Chanyeol sitting beside him on the piano bench just admiring Baekhyun's long fingers just like he did at Baekhyun's recital.
 
Out of the blue, halfway through the piece, Chanyeol randomly utters "Your fingers are so long." causing Baekhyun to pause and look at Chanyeol. 
 
It surprises Baekhyun when all of a sudden a hand of his is covered by Chanyeol's very large one. He realizes that their height difference is not only apparent when they stand, but even so with their anatomical build. 
 
It tickles when Chanyeol outlines his fingers with his own and lifts his hand up to the level of their faces. Baekhyun swears he's got a shade of pink ghosting over his cheeks, but hopes that Chanyeol doesn't notice. It doesn't help that he feels like laughing because Chanyeol is being the usual Chanyeol, but he suppresses it when he looks at Chanyeol and find him intently staring at his face and with a pout. 
 
 Baekhyun thinks for a moment that maybe it's nothing—and just another random dirty paint or glitter from nowhere that suddenly stuck to his face. But then he finds Chanyeol looking at his eyes because he's also looking through his as well and Baekhyun just couldn't fathom why suddenly Chanyeol's face is scrunched in what seems to be confusion and finally breaks the silence by asking, "Is something wrong?" 
 
And he thinks as though he's too transparent—too obviously hurt and bothered in Chanyeol's eyes—too insecure, even. Chanyeol could actually see right through him so much better than the first time because he knows he's trying so hard to suppress his feelings, yet why does it still show? So he bows his head, puts their hands back down and link together he does his hand with Chanyeol and squeeze hard that it's actually like he's asking for Chanyeol's help to make things easier—to make the next step he'll do so much easier. For Chanyeol to just walk away after Baekhyun finally tells him that they can't continue with this anymore.
 
"I—" it comes out strangled and Baekhyun didn't plan this, but, "I need to go pee," he says, biting back the tears that are threatening to fall.
 
In the bathroom, Baekhyun builds resistance fighting off against his unmanly clinginess holding onto Chanyeol's hands too tight. He thinks about his transparency—his insecurities and of him entirely being undeserving of Chanyeol's attention. He thinks that Chanyeol is just too cheerful, while he's the complete opposite. He's dull and boring and thinks that Chanyeol deserves someone so much better to be a friend than someone full of insecurities. He thinks that he just might spread this loneliness over like some airborne disease and he thinks that he wouldn't like a sad Chanyeol all too well. Moreover, he thinks that it's been too long a time Chanyeol's been dealing with him and his unlikely ways. He thinks that he's just got so many misgivings and that Chanyeol would probably not like him anymore even as a friend when these show too much. 
 
So when he emerges out the bathroom minutes later, "Yeol—Chanyeol, y-you need to g-go." is what comes out of his mouth a little shaky, walking forward.
 
From over the piano bench, Chanyeol asks "Why?"
 
"You just need to. I—I can't teach you piano anymore." and Baekhyun stops moving when he's at least a good 2 meters away from Chanyeol.
 
"Why?"
 
"Because I can't."
 
"Why?" but Chanyeol just doesn't ask why this time, "And what was that thing you told me you were going to tell?"
 
"This is exactly it, Chanyeol. Because I don't want to anymore. I can't teach you piano. I don't think I can. I just don't want to anymore."
 
Chanyeol frowns upon hearing all these—however redundant sounding Baekhyun's is at the moment. He wasn't expecting this out of all the possibilities of what Baekhyun could tell him, but Baekhyun appears strong and firm with his words that Chanyeol feels a stinging pain building in his heart. Just minutes earlier, Baekhyun was playing a song Chanyeol claimed he really likes.
 
Where did the Baekhyun that smiled at him go? Where did the patient Baekhyun who taught him piano go? Didn't Baekhyun just hold his hand so firm and warm? Is this even the real Baekhyun at all?
 
And it's as though Baekhyun's words aren't enough to keep Chanyeol away that Chanyeol appears unmoving when he finally stands up and attempts to get closer to Baekhyun who only backs away.
 
"Just, please. Chanyeol, go. Don't let me say something even more harsh."
 
But Chanyeol is persistent and curious, so he chooses to stay for a couple more minutes. Neither of them move with piercing silence between them. There appears to be an invisible wall that separates them at the moment and all that Chanyeol wants to do is to break it. However confusing Baekhyun emerged from the bathroom, the thing Chanyeol wants to do at the moment is to still be his friend and maybe something even more than that in the process. But Baekhyun is just making it so much more difficult.
 
"The thing is it's getting harder teaching you every other day."
 
And Chanyeol thinks he's lying because weeks ago Baekhyun praised him of learning fast and even Kyungsoo and Jongin were amazed with his growing piano skills.
 
"And the thing is you just don't see butterflies when someone is performing," Baekhyun pauses, and it's when Chanyeol really stops to listen. "You're really weird, Chanyeol. It's not even healthy anymore."
 
It all comes out wrong.
 
Those words finally do it, however, because when Baekhyun finally looks up to see Chanyeol's reaction, he sees a face as though about to cry. He opens his mouth to say something—to somehow mend less painful what he just said, but then he couldn't.
 
"I—I'll be going first, then," is what Chanyeol says instead, walking slowly and maybe out of Baekhyun's life forever.
 
He doesn't miss the tears that escapes Chanyeol’s eyes and the guilty feeling building at the pit of his stomach, but he watches as he walks away and doesn't even bother following him because he knows he's got to end his feelings for the guy somehow. He thinks it's so absurd that he's clinging to him and he's making Chanyeol just as well depend on him.
 
Baekhyun feels so lonely. In fact, even more lonely than the time he fought with Luhan. He regretted saying everything and seeing Chanyeol’s tears in the process. He felt like . But he really really really felt so lonely, it was a given. It’s been a long time since he’s shunned himself from all the world thinking that they’ll never ever understand his perceptions and point of views. He was wrong.
 
Because when Chanyeol appeared, he learned how to depend, open up and trust again—to wait for someone after classes just to teach them piano, a hobby he loves too, and one he’s more inclined into teaching while enjoying at the same time. He was even more exhilarated at the time Chanyeol first approached him and said hey, because yes, it’s really been a long time anyone's took notice of him and just right about now he’s realizing his terrible flaw of trust issues. Maybe it’s his defense mechanism for all the years that have passed with Luhan and all.
 
In the process, he heeded to Chanyeol almost like a best friend, knowing that he'd probably not lose anything by making him his friend. After all, Chanyeol has got to be one of the most interesting person out of all the people he's met. And it's not true that Chanyeol's weird. If at all, he's weird but definitely not in an unhealthy way like what he just told him.
 
But somewhere along the realizations, Baekhyun finds himself heeding to his old beliefs. Of not wanting to cling to people and depend on them, because he thinks that it's better not to trust anyone and not be too attached to people who most likely will end their certain role in his life eventually. He tries hard to think that it's insane how Chanyeol even has visions like butterflies back when Baekhyun played the piano in the recital and just how unrealistic his childish mind could be. It's even more absurd how he's practically let Chanyeol in his non-safe zone and actually ventured with him in his world. Most of all, it's crazy how he thinks he's falling and falling for Park Chanyeol hard that he wants to get rid of it for it's impossible for the other to feel the same. 
 
But at the back of it all, the only real problem is that Baekhyun thinks too much—excessively, and he's the unhealthy one because of his insecurities.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

When Monday comes, Baekhyun doesn't greet Chanyeol when they pass each other by the hallway. Baekhyun doesn't even stop and look and Chanyeol is the only one stopping and hoping for a greeting. Chanyeol thought that angry Baekhyun the other day was just a spur of the moment thing. Chanyeol assumed too much that it's because Baekhyun wasn't just in the mood that day, despite the older lashing out his anger on him. 

On Tuesday, Baekhyun still attends the same class they have right before dismissal. It's weird for Chanyeol because Baekhyun is late and for the most part of them being classmates, he never goes to school late. But even if Chanyeol strains his neck from looking too much at the back and anticipating attention from Baekhyun, he remains ignored. For this, Chanyeol could only sport a pout at his desk. It doesn't even help that he gets inattentive and goes as far as not knowing the answer to the professor's question when he's put on the spot.
 
Unknown to Chanyeol, this distracts Baekhyun so much that when Chanyeol looks back to check on Baekhyun's seat again, he's gone. 
 
This goes on for an entire week with Baekhyun thinking he couldn't focus much on his lessons with always seeing Chanyeol in classes they share. The thing is he can't help but look and look after him just to assure the guilty part of himself to be satisfied with how Chanyeol seems to be doing just fine without him around. It's not entirely because of that, though, because he knows he still likes Chanyeol and he thinks it's distracting and altogether drops all his classes with Chanyeol in it. Baekhyun doesn't even know exactly why he's doing this—just that he feels the need to fight his feelings. Heck, he doesn't even know why he likes the taller that much. He's asking himself whether it was caused by the latter's handsome face, the facial twitch, the irritating curly locks, or oh—he just doesn't know! But he does think he should stop talking and about Chanyeol, most especially.
 
Chanyeol on the other hand really notices Baekhyun ignoring him like a plague literally and figuratively speaking now if anything at all. He thought it would eventually die down—the anger, the pent up frustration Baekhyun lashed on him days back. He doesn't know why he's hoping. All he knows is that this ignorance of Baekhyun towards him is even worse than that first of them knowing each other's existence. He knew at the time that Baekhyun would stumble out of a room with him in it on purpose. He just felt like it wasn't proper to be so blunt about it. It was actually quite easy to figure and he isn't that stupid, after all. 
 
Sometimes Chanyeol still drops by in front of Baekhyun's house in hope that maybe it was a joke when Baekhyun said to stop their piano lessons, only to find it empty and empty even more after an hour of waiting. He doesn't know where Baekhyun goes to hang, after all. The only time he saw him outside was that last time they saw each other at the grocery and that same day too that they last talked. As much as he wanted to talk to him again and wait, it's unfortunate that Chanyeol thinks he doesn't have all day and who is he to force Baekhyun to see and talk to him, anyway?
 
It's just that with all those, Chanyeol felt alienated. But he refuses to stop trying.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just a day after that past week of ignoring Chanyeol, Baekhyun on the other hand notices Chanyeol's obvious absence in his life. It's weird, he thinks, how they don't see each other in hallways anymore and sometimes it's easy to not even hide himself. He doesn't even see Jongin and Kyungsoo to somehow feel just a little bit reprimanded for what he's doing to Chanyeol now. He would be lying if he says he doesn't miss his presence, though, because he remembers him all the time.
 
In a park full of foreign faces, having skipped one of the classes he just recently transferred to, Baekhyun finds himself watching a show. In front of him were two friends—probably—just that it doesn't show with whatever they're doing now shouting at each other's faces and a meter's gap in between.
 
"Why can't you just support whatever Tao and I have, Yixing!?" one of the two friends ask in anger, but with a stoic face. 
 
"I don't know, okay?" the one named Yixing shouts in question and utter frustration. "I've heard bad things about him. I've heard them, Kris, and are you really sure he would keep you? What if he breaks your heart? Are you really willing to risk everything for Tao? Do you even know what you're getting into?"
 
"They're all just hearsay," the one named Kris says, a little calmer this time, but with a hand pinching at the bridge of his nose. "And of course I know the risks, I know what I'm sacrificing. I love him, Yixing, and I think that's all that matters." 
 
"But what if you're actually blinded?" Yixing's still in rage, but now crying in anger that his face is turning red bit by bit. "What if you lose time for me? What if no one's going to be there for me?"
 
"Yixing, do you even hear yourself right now?" Kris asks back and Baekhyun thinks it's really hard to scrutinize whatever he's feeling because of his expressionless face. "Do you even know what you're saying? Why would you even think that I'll leave you? You're my best friend, right? Best friends always stay together and support each other's decisions."
 
"That's the problem, Wu Fan. I can't," the Yixing one says, still crying. Baekhyun's confused for a moment, because he doesn't know who's playing the character of Wu Fan? "I love you more than a best friend," Yixing says, but Baekhyun doesn't understand it because it's in some other language he doesn't speak and quite probably Chinese from the way he hears the intonation.
 
And Baekhyun actually feels frustrated for them because he doesn't understand what that last phrase Yixing said. He doesn't notice anything else and actually blurts out "I don't understand!" and abruptly stands up from the bench and when he opens his eyes once again, he finds the Kris guy glancing at him with wide eyes and then back at the crying Yixing before walking out.
 
And as Baekhyun looks at Yixing's direction, he just feels like being by the ground altogether or maybe crying as Yixing. He thinks that he actually could do a good deed and go over to Yixing to at least try and comfort the guy with whatever conflict he just had with Kris, but then again embarrassment is taking over that he just chooses to walk out just the same as Kris just did. 
 
But whatever it is Yixing and Kris—two people he barely knows—fought over, he finds similar to his situation with Luhan and his then. In that simple scenario as he rounds the corner to his neighborhood, he finally realizes just how much his beliefs of not trusting anyone actually lead him to be how he is now. He actually recalls people labeling him as the teen who focuses on his piano too much resulting to having no friends. And right about now, with great influence of the Kris and Yixing scenario, he thinks he needs change in his life and only one person comes to mind: Chanyeol—Chanyeol with his crooked smile, with his facial twitch, with his noodle hair. Just—Chanyeol and Baekhyun thinks he couldn't even control his feelings anymore. He thinks that it's just not because it's nighttime anymore making him extra sensitive. He just doesn't want to lose anyone else anymore like he lost Luhan with his mistrust. But most of all, he misses Chanyeol.
 
He also realizes that maybe the visions Chanyeol saw the first time he met Baekhyun is true and in fact not very unrealistic. He thinks this when he passes a tall figure that eerily looks like Chanyeol, except only this one has straight hair and Baekhyun thinks he's seeing things. So he goes back to thinking about that time he first saw his vision of falling leaves when he first met Chanyeol and just maybe Chanyeol sparked that vision. Like maybe a predicament of sorts that he'd be falling for the latter? Baekhyun doesn't know, but now he's sure he's ready to find out with hope in his heart as he enters his home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun doesn't waste time the next day when he steps in front of Kyungsoo's front gate. He takes a breath because this is his first risk, and for Chanyeol, before he presses the doorbell.
 
And when he does press the doorbell, he momentarily panics and picks at an unusual leaf by the pavement. 
 
"I see you've gotten Chanyeol's weird, but hi Baekhyun," a voice speaks out of the blue, snapping Baekhyun back up to his feet and dropping the leaf to meet Kyungsoo's gaze.
 
Kyungsoo is looking his normal calm self, just with his arms outstretched to keep the gate wide open.
 
"Hello Kyungsoo," is the only thing Baekhyun utters, before spotting Jongin some meters behind and leaning by the front door. In all truth, Baekhyun is immediately thrown off by how Jongin is looking stoic at him and loses his planned words to say.
 
"Jongin, go back to the kitchen," and of course trust Kyungsoo to notice as Jongin does go and closes the door. 
 
Baekhyun just looks at Kyungsoo for a couple of seconds trying to process whatever just happened. It might be that Kyungsoo just read his mind, or not, but Baekhyun still manages to stammer a "Thank you." just because.
 
"I know he can look intimidating at times," Kyungsoo smiles. "But whatever brings you here...." Kyungsoo stops and looks at Baekhyun for the answer.
 
"Chanyeol," Baekhyun finishes. 
 
"Yeah." 
 
"And Kyungsoo, I promise this would be really quick." Baekhyun just needs to say it.
 
"And I promise to listen," Kyungsoo smiles and nods gesturing for Baekhyun to start.
 
"I know we're not so close, but..." and then Baekhyun stops in panic again, looking at Kyungsoo's eyes for approval. 
 
"...you can tell me," and Kyungsoo just puts a hand on Baekhyun's shoulders to try and calm him down. "If you want, we could go inside."
 
But then at that, Baekhyun panics even more and perks up saying, "It's really okay. Jongin, he—I'm—I'm just not comfortable around him. I'm sorry." 
 
"It's okay," Kyungsoo says and smiles which results to laughing eventually. "And I'm not laughing at you. I know how you feel. That's exactly how I felt around him and his arrogant attitude when I first met him."
 
Baekhyun just looks up at Kyungsoo and smiles a worried smile at him, because all of a sudden his emotions are mixed altogether once again. Moreover, he's nervous as he only has one question to ask Kyungsoo, who looks like he's expecting a novel out of Baekhyun.
 
"If you want, we could sit on the pavement," Kyungsoo offers.
 
"It's actually really just quick," Baekhyun nervously stammers out. "I just—"
 
"Ah, I think I know," Kyungsoo says, and Baekhyun just looks at him with eyebrows raised. "Where Chanyeol is right now, right? His address or something?"
 
"How did—" but Baekhyun thinks it would be stupid to ask. Maybe it's just that the question is written all over his face. Or just that Kyungsoo just has a way of knowing. So he settles for a "Yeah." and finally relaxes, because finally he's not about to waste Kyungsoo's time. He just really needs to see Chanyeol right now.
 
"I remember Chanyeol telling me. You live nearby, right?" Kyungsoo asks as Baekhyun nods. "It's actually just at the end of your own street. Number 12." 
 
"Thank you, Kyungsoo," Baekhyun's eyes crinkle in happiness. 
 
"You're welcome—ah!" Kyungsoo exclaims, seeming as though he just remembered something. "Are you going right now?" and when Baekhyun nods, Kyungsoo relaxes and just says "Okay. Just, Baekhyun?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"I don't really know what happened or what's happening at the moment with you two, but I just want you to know that Chanyeol likes you a lot," Kyungsoo smiles, before closing the gate.
 
Baekhyun doesn't even have time to contemplate and ask how much, because right now his heart is taking complete control of his being. It's beating twice as fast and his face a shade darker than just pink as he walks back to the direction of his house. Finally he stumbles to the end of the street when he sees a lettering of a number 12, colored gold and shining imprinted on a door, because Chanyeol doesn't have a gate but a porch. And not that it matters much. 
 
His heart sinks again when he realizes that maybe the way Chanyeol likes him is not the way he does, but Chanyeol would still be his friend, right? Isn't that all that matters? So with a bit of a down spirit overwhelming him once again mixed with content, he presses the doorbell. 
 
A minute passes by and he looks over the house that looks kind of empty, so he doorbells for the second time when no one comes to the door. He waits for two minutes more, before finally concluding that maybe no one's really in. So he starts slowly turning back and only stopping when he hears a door creak.
 
For once, he's kind of afraid to look back.
 
Baekhyun thinks of trust. Baekhyun thinks of attachment. Baekhyun thinks of his insecurities
 
And finally, Baekhyun thinks he's thinking too much and makes up his mind to turn around and is met by Chanyeol's wide eyes and straight hair. So was that Chanyeol he saw last night, after all?
 
They just stare at each other for a full minute with no one talking. Baekhyun is debating in his mind whether he should talk first or what, but Chanyeol looks like he refuses to be in speaking terms and so Baekhyun doesn't know. 
 
But then Kyungsoo's words rings in his ears, '...Chanyeol likes you a lot.'
 
So Baekhyun finally finds his voice and says, "Chanyeol." but Chanyeol doesn't say anything still but just continues to stare, so Baekhyun goes onto saying, "I'm sorry." and this time Chanyeol actually looks up to meet his eyes, but still doesn't say anything.
 
It's just that Baekhyun feels like he's being scrutinized. Like is that how Chanyeol looks when he's testing the sincerity in a person's voice? So Baekhyun settles for "That's all." when he feels his spirit weighing him down again and turns back around, back facing Chanyeol now. 
 
This time Chanyeol speaks, "You're running away again? Is that all you can really do?" and Baekhyun thinks that it hurts, because it's the first time he's hearing Chanyeol in a tone so firm actually quite domineering or intimidating even.
 
"You're hurting me," Baekhyun turns around for the second time.
 
"Well, you're hurting me too."
 
And Baekhyun thinks that it couldn't wait any longer when words form into sentences in his mind and he thinks that he just needs to say them out now. He mutters out a "And here goes..." that he's not sure Chanyeol catches and then continues onto, “The truth is I saw falling leaves when I first saw you, too, so I don't think you're weird for seeing your visions too," he stops, his voice softening with the last words. And then again, Chanyeol doesn't say anything, so Baekhyun continues, "But the thing is I couldn't understand why you would want to befriend me. I was afraid to get too attached, I was afraid to trust so much. I was so insecure. I never thought I would be capable of feeling something else too, but then I felt it towards you."
 
Right on cue, Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun with a questioning look on his face and kind of prodding. And it's as though Chanyeol's tearing off all the defense Baekhyun has left when he asks, "Feeling what?" so straightforward and pleading to a Baekhyun who's still sort of in denial.
 
So with all that Baekhyun could muster and after in a helpful amount of air, he says, "I don't know when it started, but I thought of you a lot. I always see your smile before I sleep and how I regret making you shed those tears you shouldn't even have. When you were around, I felt happier, so contented that there's someone I could lean on. Until I started genuinely liking you and not just in any platonic way either. I just thought I was getting too attached, so I pushed you away. I felt lonely then and I realized some things. But can you just please stop it, because I don’t find it funny anymore? Tell me you don't like me the same way and just be my friend,” and he cries when he's let it out, but Chanyeol just stands in front of him stiff. Baekhyun thinks that it’s probably revenge because he also made him cry previously and didn’t care. When Chanyeol doesn't say anything and just stares, Baekhyun continues, "I'm sorry. I'm really really sorry." sincerely and he doesn't know whether he's asking for forgiveness that he likes Chanyeol or because he made him cry.
 
But when Chanyeol still doesn't say anything, Baekhyun walks a few steps back.
 
And it's as though the whole world just conspired to let him wallow in embarrassment and what defense he has left when someone familiar walks out the door right behind Chanyeol.
 
Sehun.
 
Baekhyun couldn't even fathom wherever he popped out from. He's just there, casually walking out Chanyeol's front door and looking at Baekhyun, who apparently still has glassy, wet eyes with tears streaming down his cheeks. He couldn't even begin to imagine how red his eyes must be right now, just that
 
"Sehun..."
 
"I—" Chanyeol tries to insert, but is cut off by Sehun.
 
"Long time no see," and when Sehun says this, Baekhyun begins to wipe his eyes with the back of his hand because why on Earth didn't he bring a handkerchief again? Oh right, who damn cares?
 
Baekhyun still seems to be at a loss for words, because then he manages to croak out, "L-Luhan?" and it doesn't take a genius to know what exactly he's asking. He's asking about Luhan to Sehun and probably how he's doing and where he is and if he's fine and doing well in life. He doesn't even care anymore how so and why Sehun just managed to step out of Chanyeol's house.
 
But then Sehun just looks at him and at Chanyeol and back at Baekhyun again before saying, "He's—" and Baekhyun is beginning to feel really frustrated because well, leave it to Sehun to have the most effective stoic face and not show what exactly it is he's feeling. "—gone." but it's not as though Baekhyun can do anything about that, but wait—what did Sehun say again?
 
'He's.... gone.' and Baekhyun doesn't really know what to feel about that. Just that he knows he feels regret building at the pit of his stomach and he feels like this is heaven's wrath crashing down on him. No one dared to speak for a whole two minutes and only they watched Baekhyun drown in his tears. He's wheezing now and even worst than his cry earlier, is what Chanyeol notes. 
 
Chanyeol, on the other hand, all of a sudden is looking guilty over at Sehun.
 
Baekhyun then thinks back to their moments as best friends then and how he thinks that he wasn't able to say sorry to Luhan for everything he didn't support him with. But somehow, he manages to stable himself and ask, "Since when?"
 
But then Baekhyun hears a familiar skip of Converse shoes at his back and he can't be wrong now even if it's been years since they've last seen—
 
"Since when is what?"
 
"Luhan..."
 
"Baekhyun..."
 
And they're at a standstill, just looking over each other to somehow clarify whether or not they're just seeing things. Baekhyun thinks that it might be just Luhan's soul coming down from heaven for him to finally apologize properly, but when he looks back over his shoulder to both Chanyeol and Sehun, they seem to be seeing Luhan as well. Moreover, Luhan was carrying something that looked like a brown paper bag. Could souls hold onto things? No, maybe not.
 
Something just clicks in Baekhyun's mind and did Sehun just joke him about Luhan passing away? Definitely not a good idea. 
 
But when Baekhyun looks at Luhan's eyes again and doesn't find anguish written in them, he just finds it fit to hug Luhan and cry harder than any cry he's done over the past few years they've missed each other's existence in each other's lives. Luhan, fortunately, finds it in him to hug right back, looping his arms around Baekhyun's torso.
 
"Sehun, he..." Baekhyun just trails off, his chin over Luhan's shoulder comfortably. Baekhyun's ever just so glad Luhan's hugging back as well. 
 
"I know," Luhan shushes Baekhyun, clapping a hand again and again over the small of Baekhyun's back. "He joked about me passing away again?" but amidst his chin resting over Baekhyun's shoulders as well, he glares over at Sehun and actually throws an apple at him and finds a way somehow for Sehun to also get the entire brown paper bag he was holding.
 
"Hey, I was actually about to say 'He's gone out'!!" and even when Luhan cries with Baekhyun over the fact that they haven't seen each other for years, Sehun finds himself laughing and Baekhyun thinks at the back of his mind that the stoic lunatic hasn't changed a bit... at all.
 
"I missed you so much," and Baekhyun doesn't even mind that he's wetting Luhan's shirt. "And I am so very sorry, hyung. So very sorry." 
 
"I missed you, too," Luhan says, "So damn much. I don't know how we managed to not talk to each other for years, but how have you been?"
 
"Honestly, I haven't been fine."
 
"Oh?" and this time Luhan looks over Chanyeol who's just standing there like a statue behind the hugging friends. "But I've heard things..."
 
Baekhyun's just about to ask what things, when he feels Luhan withdrawing from the hug and putting a hand up over his right cheek. "I'm sorry, too. And I forgive you, too," Luhan says, kissing Baekhyun's left cheek. 
 
"Too graphic," Sehun complains at the side, completely forgotten, while the best friends just absentmindedly thumb over each other's tears away. 
 
"Shut up," Luhan counters, pushing Sehun away and turning to Chanyeol to ask for permission, "Can we go in?" 
 
Chanyeol just nods, leading the way to his living room to watch everyone settle in. 
 
In the end, Chanyeol ends up seated with Sehun on a sofa with Baekhyun and Luhan on another just across them and separated by a coffee table.
 
"So how do you know Chanyeol?" is what Baekhyun asks first to Luhan, after momentarily looking over Chanyeol's direction with what Luhan deems as just not a normal glance. 
 
"I don't know exactly, but I think Jongin... yeah, him. Jongin knows Sehun and it's a long story but Chanyeol's really been nice. You can talk it out with him later and maybe thank him properly," Luhan winks.
 
Baekhyun just looks at him with wide eyes because how could—oh, Luhan's still his best friend, after all. 
 
"So where do you stay now?"
 
"Just ah, across the street!" Luhan exclaims. "Like I said, Chanyeol's really been nice and informed us of a vacant lot across his home. It's a long story, but you could ask Chanyeol." and he says this with a singsong voice that Baekhyun knows as teasing.
 
"Hyung!" 
 
"I really missed you, Baekhyun-ah," Luhan hugs Baekhyun again. "But as much as I want to continue spending more time with you, I think we could do that some other time seeing as we're in the same neighborhood. Sehun and I are actually fixing the house at the moment. Maybe you can help out later and we could catch up more, but I know some things more important to fix." and Luhan just squeezes at Baekhyun's hand, stands up, and then pulls away to walk over the front door. 
 
Sehun follows suit out the door, closes it, and Baekhyun watches them cross the street over Chanyeol's windows, craning his neck and sitting, and suddenly the thought that he's finally left alone with Chanyeol in Chanyeol's home sends him in a panic.
 
"So..." Chanyeol starts.
 
Baekhyun's literally still looking over the window, afraid to twist his neck and look back at Chanyeol once again. 
 
So he just says "So..." back and when he refuses to still look at Chanyeol, he feels the sofa dipping and Chanyeol's arms pressed against his. Baekhyun just can't help but think about his personal space and how awkward the situation is.
 
"So let's start with how I know Sehun!" Chanyeol exclaims now in his usual tone and Baekhyun somehow feels at ease for the Chanyeol he knew is back. "It's a long story, but..."
 
"Just say it!" Baekhyun exclaims, so much more comfortable now. "I've heard the phrase it's a long story much too many times today, but no one's bothering to really tell the whole thing."
 
"Yeah, I was about to get to that and then you cut me," Chanyeol pouts. "Anyway, Sehun knows Jongin. And of course I kind of know Luhan and Sehun through you because story over the photo album, remember?" he looks over to Baekhyun who just nods. "And then there's Jongin's story telling me someone named Sehun is looking for a place to stay. Then I remembered your story and Luhan and when I asked Jongin whether he knew a Luhan, he said he does too, and that he's Sehun's boyfriend. So it's actually just pure coincidence—wait, or not, when you found them here. Well, I actually did help with the moving in thing but then I was also planning during that one week you won't talk to me that maybe I could somehow get Luhan to talk to me and I did. I just sort of told him I knew you and some other things just so I could somehow mention your name, so that it rings a bell to him and it did. We—"
 
"Wait, what are those some other things?" Baekhyun asks, and he notices Chanyeol pale. "Like did you tell him my side of the story and those parts I sort of badmouthed him?" 
 
"No, I didn't, and I don't think you badmouthed him either. It's your side of the story, after all." Chanyeol unconsciously brings a hand to Baekhyun's face and preoccupies himself by thumbing his dried up tears away. Baekhyun thinks it's much too intimate of an action to do so, but doesn't stop Chanyeol anyway.
 
"So what are those other things?"
 
"Why are you so intent on knowing?"
 
"Because maybe you're badmouthing me!" Baekhyun says a little louder, but not really angry. "I'm insecure." and this time he uses the insecure reason as an excuse and nothing really serious, because he's sure he's feeling some kind of confident right now.
 
"Do you know how many times you said sorry today?"
 
"Why are you changing the topic?" Baekhyun retorts. "But how many, anyway?" he challenges.
 
"5!" Chanyeol exclaims and puts a hand over Baekhyun's face for clearer measure. Chanyeol even notices just how much his hand could cover Baekhyun's small face. "How very insecure."
 
Baekhyun just keeps quiet, reveling in the surprising comfort of this all. He doesn't even voice out that he thinks he actually said 'sorry' 6 times today, that talk with Kyungsoo Chanyeol missed but could never really know.
 
“But I love you, insecure Baekhyun. You," Chanyeol proceeds to say and Baekhyun just laughs so hard, because how could Chanyeol forgive him so easily again? Just lately he swears the air around them was tense and really extra awkward, yet wait—was that a confession just now?
 
This time Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol with wide eyes and he just doesn't know what to say. He thinks he's blushing, but then it's fading. He decides on running because he hears his heart pounding so loud. He's thinking if this is some sort of April Fool's joke but April's nowhere near, so how could it be? So maybe...
 
"Is this some sort of pity joke?" Baekhyun asks, now with a blank look on his face. It's apparent he's not enjoying whatever he thinks Chanyeol's trying to pull. It must be because of the things he said earlier even before Sehun appearing. About him falling so hard that it hurts and that the thinks it's not even funny anymore and something about Chanyeol stopping that feeling somehow, however he plans on doing so. So when he sees a hurt expression ghosting over Chanyeol's face, he thinks it's part of the act and stands up from the sofa just because. 
 
He just stands there for a few minutes, trying to calm himself down, trying to hear the ironic noise that the silence brings. No one's speaking and Chanyeol isn't moving, either.
 
But when he tries to take a step, he feels a hand holding his own and squeezing and he hears Chanyeol muttering "Stay." in that domineering voice of his again. He thinks as to how Chanyeol could even possess that kind of tone of voice, contrasting to his usual perky and babbling self, but Baekhyun thinks that there's more sides to Chanyeol than he knows.
 
Suddenly, his back is pressed further on the sofa and he feels Chanyeol closer than ever to him.
 
"Stay, because it's true," Chanyeol whispers, leaning impossibly closer over his face. "And if you don't want to believe it, I'll prove it to you."
 
Baekhyun asks himself what is this feeling he's feeling when he feels Chanyeol's mouth over his, but fails to find an answer as he snakes his hand around Chanyeol's neck. He just somehow finds his knees turning to jelly and unable to resist Chanyeol as he kisses back. His feeling somehow is in between having his heart in his mouth and wearing his heart on his sleeve. He's really really scared and anxious of whatever's to come, yet he feels like they could find a way to work this out.
 
When Chanyeol withdraws, his eyes are wide when he finds Baekhyun crying in front of his face. This time, Chanyeol is the one to panic because why is Baekhyun crying again and for the third time in the day?
 
"Why are you crying?" Chanyeol asks in worry. "Don't you..." love me, too? he wants to ask, but then suddenly he's the one who's afraid.
 
"I do. I do love you, too, stupid," Baekhyun replies in between sniffles. "And I believe you because it's not April Fool's. It's just that," but he cries louder into his hand and Chanyeol laughs so hard whilst trying to get Baekhyun's hands out of his face, he swears he might cry as well. And they laugh together.
 
"So are we having our piano lessons again?" Chanyeol asks when he stops laughing and tends to Baekhyun to thumb his tears away.
 
"Yes, of course," Baekhyun answers with a grin, but he's still a little suspicious and thinks that everything happening is too good to be true, so he asks, "Are you really not mad at me?" 
 
"I never got mad at you," Chanyeol starts. "Kyungsoo told me about you before. This misunderstood Baekhyun in one of his classes. He told me you were quiet. Just told me about what he observed. Kyungsoo studies Psychology, by the way, and I don't even know why I'm saying all of these but somehow they all relate. And you know just how people are. I knew what to expect with you, Baekhyun...somehow. I knew there had to be a reason you acted like you did. I really wanted to be  your friend and I swear that one time you lashed at me I didn't buy it!" he exclaimed. "Yes, I was a little taken aback because how could you insult my visions like that but I thought that I should respect your opinions and let you think what you'd like to think because sometimes you listen too well with what people say about you, right? And I think that you shouldn't because I'm here and it's enough that you please me. It's not even necessary to please everyone, anyway. It's not even necessary what they think about you, because we both know that at least you're being you and I accept you for who you are."
 
"You speak way too much," Baekhyun says, pressing a kiss at the corner of Chanyeol's mouth just because he feels like it, but then thinks that normal Chanyeol the babbler is back. 
 
"So do you still not believe in my visions?" 
 
"No," Baekhyun jokes, but then looks over at Chanyeol's shoulder intently and moves forward looking like he's checking if he's not just seeing things. "Do you see that, though?"
 
And Chanyeol looks over his shoulders and laughs because he doesn't and he thinks that Baekhyun is insane.
 
"But really."
 
But then Chanyeol abruptly stops laughing and stares intently over Baekhyun's shoulders too. 
 
They're seeing butterflies, and this time it represents themselves as each other's half. 
 
And for the last time, Baekhyun thinks of trust and attachment and concludes that he doesn't mind trusting and being attached to Chanyeol anymore. His insecurities? Chanyeol will deal with them and understand.
 
fin.