You will be my best friend. Forever and always.

My Best Friend (Sad Friendship Story)

~~~~~~~~~ just got home from her aunt's house after cleaning her attic. It was very tiring but worth it rather than sitting at home and doing nothing. She placed her bag on the bed and went to shower.

Later that night, ~~~~~~~~~ sit on her bed and opened her bag. She took out a small but old book that she found while cleaning the attic. There are other books too but this particular small book caught her eye.

She flipped through the pages and realized that it wasn't a book, but a diary. There are so many diary entries written inside. Excited, she began reading.

*******************
25 February 1977

Hello, my name is Kim Jaehyun and i am the owner of this diary. Since you reading my diary, i will tell you everything that is happening in my life.

I have a best friend whom i love so much. Her name is Kim Jaekyung. We have the same surnames and our names sounds similar which make people thinks that we are twins. We called each other Jae and just like any best friend, we did almost everything together.

We go to school together, went back together, spend time together and much more. We are so close although we have little in common. For example, i am a sweet ladylike girl whereas Jaekyung is a rough tomboy.

There was never a problem between us until one day, it happen...

A boy came to our college and entered our class. Day by day we got closer and eventually i fell in love with him. His name is Lee Howon and soon we started dating. I spent more time with Howon and deserted Jaekyung. I thought it was okay with her and went on with Howon. I didn't realized how lonely Jaekyung was. One day, i met up with her and she asked me a question.

"Hey, are you doing well with Howon?" she asked.

I smiled. "Yeah, he's really treating me well."

"Well, that's good to hear." she nodded. "If not, i will beat the hell out of him myself.

I laughed. This is the best friend that i love and care about. "I know you would, Jae. Thanks."

Jaekyung rolled her eyes.She started asking more questions about my relationship and i was more than happy to tell her. All along, it was me talking and she just nodded her head. Suddenly, the world revolved around me. Only me and not about the two of us.

"You cut your hair, Jae?" i nudged her arm. "Looks pretty on you."

She touched her hair and looked at me. "I had my haircut a week ago, Jae. And you just noticed it now?"

I didn't hear the sarcasm in her voice. I let it go since it was her normal tone of talking. Jaekyung opened to talk but was cut when my phone rang.

"Hey Oppa." i greeted. "Now? Oh okay, see you."

I stood up. "Jae, i got to go. I am meeting Howon Oppa to study."

"Oh okay." she replied.

Before she could say goodbye, i was already making my way out. I smiled to myself, thinking that Jaekyung was okay with me being with Howon more than with her. But i was wrong. Dead wrong.

*******************
5 April 1977

As my love life went on, i totally forgot about Jaekyung. It's been two months since we talked. At that point of time, love was much more important than friendship. Howon was the perfect guy for me.

He wasn't like any other guys who wanted to play all the time. he wanted me to study and be successful in life. So when we are not going on dates, he would always come to my house and we would study together. Since Jaekyung didn't say anything, i thought that she was okay with me choosing Howon over her.

One day, i got a text from one of our classmates that Jaekyung was sick. No wonder i had not seen her for the past few days. After school, i made my way to her house. Her mother opened the door and invited me in.

"Jaehyun-ah, it's been a long time since you came here." she smiled.

I bowed. "I am sorry, Ms Kim. I have been busy with school nowadays."

"Ah, i see. Well, Jaekyung is in her room. Go and see her." Ms Kim nudged me to the stairs.

I made my way up and stood in front of Jaekyung's room. Taking a deep breath, i turned the knob and went in. Jaekyung's room was pitch dark. Her curtains were drawn and the lights were off.

"Jae?" i called. "It's me, Jaehyun."

There was no response. I fumbled around for the switch and when i found it, i the lights. The room became bright and i saw Jaekyung on her bed. The blanket was covering her body, leaving only her head in view.

"Jaekyung-ah." i called as i went over to sit by her bed.

I felt her move but she didn't say a word.

"Jae, are you alright?" i questioned. "What happened?"

I was about to place my hand on her forehead when she pushed me away.

"Who are you?" she asked. "I don't know you. GET OUT!"

I stumbled backwards, clutching my chest.

"Jaekyung, i am Jaehyun. Your best friend. Remember?" i said.

Jaekyung sat up in her bed. Only then, i can see her properly. Her face was pale white and i could tell that she was shivering under her thin clothing. Her hair was in a messy bun and she had dark circles under her eyes.

"I don't know you." she stared at me. "Go away!"

"Jaekyung-ah, it's me Jaehyun." i shouted. "How can you not remember me?"

"YOU BETRAYER! GO AWAY!" Then she started screaming hysterically.

I was too shocked and ran out of the room. Ms Kim was waiting downstairs and looked at me when i came down. I excused myself and left the house. On my way home, i kept thinking about what Jaekyung had said. Why did she called me a betrayer? Why? Why?

*******************
19 April 1977

Ever since the incident, i tried to talk and reason with Jaekyung. I wanted to know why she called me a betrayer. But unfortunately, she didn't came back to school. Her condition was not getting better so she had to be home-schooled. I didn't see her anymore.

I tried going to her house a few times. Ms Kim refused to let me see Jaekyung. She said that her condition was serious and that she didn't want me to get affected. I even texted her, but never once she replied. I was starting to miss my best friend.

*******************
21 April 1977

I received a text message from Jaekyung. It was a heartbreaking message for me.

"I don't want to be your friend anymore."

That was the content of the message.

I cried the whole night and i didn't went to school for a few days. I was in bed, thinking what have i done wrong to her.

*******************
25 April 1977

That night, Howon came to my house and sat by my bedside. I told him everything, my thoughts and feelings. Howon nodded in understanding and patted my back when i was tearing up.

"I am sorry." Howon apologized. "I should have known. I shouldn't be greedy and take you away from Jaekyung."

I shook my head. "It's not your fault Oppa. It was mine. I should have known to balance my time for relationship and friendship."

I broke down again and Howon hugged me.

"I think we should apologized to her, Jaehyun-ah." he suggested.

I sent a text message asking Jaekyung to meet her. Fortunately she agreed and wanted to meet us the next day.

*******************
26 April 1977

I was waiting nervously for Jaekyung to come. Howon held my hand and told me that everything would be okay. We waited and waited. We were supposed to meet at 2pm but it was already 4pm. I was about to call her when my phone rang.

"Hello?" i answered.

It was Jaekyung's mother. She told me that Jaekyung fainted in the morning and she was bought to the hospital.

"We will be on our way." i replied and hang up.

I told Howon what happened and we made our way to the hospital immediately. When we reached, we only saw Ms Kim.

"Where is Jaekyung?" i asked breathlessly.

"She's inside the Intensive Care Unit." she was crying. "It's really serious this time, Jaehyun-ah."

"What's really wrong with Jaekyung?" i pleaded. "Tell me please."

Ms Kim told us everything. Jaekyung has lung cancer. At first, they only suspected it as asthma. But as Jaekyung grew older, her condition started to get worse. Soon they found out that it wasn't asthma but lung cancer.

"Why she didn't tell me?" i dropped to the ground, crying. "What kind of best friend am i? I don't even know that my own best friend is sick."

I cried my heart out with Howon by my side.

"Can we save her?" i looked up at Ms Kim.

With a heartbreaking expression, she slowly shook her head.

"It's the final stage." she said. "Jaekyung will leave anytime."

I wiped away my tears and stood up. "Then can i see her?"

I entered Jaekyung's ward. She was lying on the bed with IV drip on her. She looked so pale and fragile. She's not the Kim Jaekyung that i used to know. She's not tough and rough right now.

Slowly i made to the side of her bed. I reached for her hand.

"Jae, it's me." i whispered.

Jaekyung slowly opened her eyes and it took a while for her vision to stable. "Jaehyun?"

I nodded and squeezed her hand. "Yeah, i am here."

Her voice was soft and weak. "I...I  am... sorry that ...i ...couldn't come and.... meet you..."

"It's okay." I smiled tearfully. "If you can't come to me, i will come to you. That's what best friends are for."

"Best......friends......." That words lingered in .

I took a deep breath in and exhaled.

"Jaekyung-ah." i began. "I would like to apologize to you."

She looked at me and gave my head a weak squeeze. "Apologize? What for?"

"I am sorry for ignoring you. I am sorry for abandoning you. I should have spend more time with you. I shouldn't leave you all alone." i cried. "Howon and i would like to apologize to you sincerely."

Jaekyung raised her weak hand and touched my tear-stained face. "No....need to....apo..logize.... It's...not your....fault."

I bend down and hugged her tightly. "You know that i love you right, Jaekyung. You are and will always be my best friend."

Jaekyung laugh weakly. "Of course....i...know...that... Jaehyun,....i want the best....for you....I...hope that Howon is really the one for you...Cause when i am gone, he'll have to protect you.... I can't

protect you anymore, Jaehyun.....I will leave Howon to do that for you....

"What are you talking about?" i demanded. "You will live. I know you will. Cause you are my best friend and you are strong."

"I can't..." she replied softly. "I am not strong already. I am dying soon....."

"No, no, no, no, you will not die." I shook my head. "You CAN'T die."

"I....have....to....go...." she said in an almost unheard voice.

"NOO!!!!!" I sobbed.

Jaekyung pulled my face close to her and kissed my forehead. "Take care, my best friend."

"JAEKYUNG!!!!!! JAEKYUNG-AHHHHH!!!!!!" i screamed.

Jaekyung closed her eyes and peacefully left the whole. She died smiling, in my arms.

*******************
27 April 1977

This will be my last diary entry. I just came back from Jaekyung's funeral. I regretted the things that i had done. That day, i cried my heart out. In my heart, I prayed that Jaekyung's spirit will rest in peace.

Goodbye.

*******************


~~~~~~~~~ closed the diary. Her heart felt an intangible sense of sadness overwhelming her. Tears began to slip down her face. She thought back to the fight that she had with her best friend, HyoRin. She thought of their memories together and thinks that she should apologize.

A knock on her door sounded.

"Come in." she said.

Her mom popped her head in. "~~~~~~~~~ darling, HyoRin is downstairs. She wants to see you."

~~~~~~~~~ ran downstairs and saw HyoRin sitting on the couch. She walked towards her best friend and hugged her.

"I am so sorry for getting mad at you." she said. "I am really sorry."

"I am sorry too." Hyorin replied. "Please forgive me?"

~~~~~~~~~ nodded.

“We are going to be best friends forever and ever and ever, right?” Hyorin asked again.

~~~~~~~~~ smiled and hugged her again. “Yes, we will be best friends forever and ever and ever." 

==========