Purple lilies

The last snowfall

She stopped outside a ward room, holding a bouquet of purple tulips. She held her knuckles right infront of the door, but found no courage to knock on it.

Just then, the ward door opened, and out came the doctor and a nurse. Tiffany bowed to them, who returned the bow.

"H-how's her condition?"

The doctor sighed. "Bad, I'm afraid. The tumour in her brain had expanded again and if she still refuses to do the operation, she won't have much time left."

Tiffany stared at the doctor in disbelief. "W-what if she goes for the operation? Will she get better?"

"I can't say for sure. This is a very risky operation afterall. I would bet an 80-20."

Tiffany sighed in relief. "An 80% chance of success sounds positive."

The doctor frowned. "It's an 80% chance of failing the operation, miss."

Tiffany dropped the bouquet of flowers.

"I'm really sorry, but if Ms Jung is willing to go for the operation, I will certainly do my very best." the doctor bowed and turned his heels.

Tiffany dazedly stared at the fallen flowers. *No... no way... this is not true at all..*

***

"You came!" Jessica chirped brightly.

"H-hi." Tiffany greeted and placed the bouquet of purple tulips onto Jessica's lap. Jessica's eyes lit up. "Purple tulips!" she exclaimed softly, and began to the flowers admiringly. Tiffany softened at her child-like actions.

"You are just like purple tulips. So prideful and strong, unwilling to open up your heart like the tulip petals. But yet, so fragile deep down." Tiffany said as she took the flowers away from Jessica and placed them into a flower vase.

Jessica smiled as she looked out of the window. "Oh!" her eyes caught something outside. "It's snowing!" she cried excitedly, grabbing onto Tiffany's wrist. Tiffany looked out, and sure enough, it was snowing.

"The first snowfall in 2012.." Tiffany said giddily, her eye smile obvious.

"And our 5th consecutive year catching the first snowfall of every new year together.."

Tiffany looked at her. Suddenly, she realized how thin Jessica had became, and how pale she looked. Her heart ached and she felt ashamed of herself. When she felt her eyes getting watery, she quickly embraced Jessica.

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry.."

Jessica wrapped her arms around Tiffany's body and patted her back. "What are you saying silly? It's not your fault. I never blamed you."

Tiffany shook her head fervently. "It's my fault! It's all my fault! If only I did not quarrel with you that night and failed to notice that you are having a high fever, I would have brought you to the hospital to seek treatment! Things would not be so bad then! It's all my fault." she cried as she fell onto her knees. Jessica's tears fell from her eyes as she  the crown of Tiffany's head.

"No fany.. It's not your fault at all.. You don't know how happily I had lived with a friend like you. Even if I were to go now, I would have no regrets."

"Shut up you idiot. Don't say stuffs like that! You will live forever! We will catch every first snowfall together until we are 100 years old!"

Jessica chuckled. "100 years old? Aren't you abit greedy?"

Tiffany grabbed her hands. "Go for the operation Jessi. Please." she pleaded.

"Tiffany, I'm happy. I thank god, for the 23 years he had given me. I thank god, for bestowing a friend like you to me. You are just like purple lilies to me Tiff."

Tiffany stood up. "You are really selfish Jessica Jung! How can you only think about yourself?! What about other people around you?! What about me?! We are best friends, ever since we are little. I may not be good in expressing myself, but you really mean alot to me. Who is going to care for me like you do if you are gone?! Who is going to share my joys and sorrow with me when you are gone?!" she choked, as her tears fell, wetting the bedsheet.

Jessica's eyebrows drooped as she looked up at her best friend. Thinking for awhile, she finally spoke up.

"Then you must promise me, that if the operation fails, you will still continue living with that bright smile of yours." she said softly.

****

The snow fell gracefully and piled the ground.

"Look Jessi, we caught the first snowfall together again. That makes it our 6th consecutive year, right?" Tiffany spoke softly. She placed a bouquet of purple lilies infront of a grave.

"I've bought you purple lilies." she said, and dusted the tombstone. "I never understand why you like purple lilies so much." she muttered to herself.

"Miss, you better get going, I think the snow is coming down heavier." the ahjumma who was in charge of keep the graveyard tidy told Tiffany.

Tiffany nodded in gratitude. "I will.. I just want to keep my friend company alittle longer." she said.

"Ahh.. must be a really important friend right? I understand. Oh, your friend likes purple lilies?"

"Hm, yeah. She likes it alot.."

"Beautiful choice.. It's a pity for her to go despite all the faith that she's keeping."

Tiffany tilted her head in slight confusion.

The ahjumma chuckled softly. "Purple lilies symbolizes hope, my dear."

 

"You are just like purple lilies to me, Tiff."

Tiffany gave her best friend's tombstone one last look. "Thank you Jessi." she murmured before turning her heels to leave.

Let's meet again during the next snowfall.