Sports Festival

My Nerd Prince [BACK FROM LONG HIATUS]

Time passed by really quickly. Without even realizing, our first month of school was already quickly wrapping up. My tutoring lessons with Mi Jin had surprisingly also been going well. She still whines and throws tantrums but hey, according to Mr. Shim, I raised her grade average by at least 10%. I feel proud of myself. 

I sat in class quietly. Mr. Shim was saying a few announcements. "Ok class, please settle down. I have some announcements to make." The class hushed down almost immediately. "First of all, I'm proud of all of you for surviving the first month of school well. School will get harder as the year progresses so please work harder to survive the following months as well," Mr. Shim said with a playful glint in his eyes. Everyone in class laughed. "I'm serious." The playful glint from his eyes and instead replaced by a cold stare. Is our teacher bi-polar? 

"Moving on. I'm sure all of you are aware that the school's annual Sports Festival is soon approaching." The whole class erupted into joyful cheers. "In fact, it's next week. This year, our class is in charge of organizing the event. Yes, that means choosing the sports we're going to play, the refreshments we're going to serve and extra activities." Everyone groaned. 

"Now, now, don't be hasty. I'm sure it will be a fun and exciting experience to organize Sports Day. After all, we're taking some time off our lessons to organize the whole thing. Do you know how much other classes are jealous of you right now?" The class erupted in cheers once again. "Now, I'll split the class in three. Rows 1 and 2 will choose the sports, rows 3 and 4 will choose the extra activities and rows 5 and 6 will discuss the refreshments stand. Everyone, get to work."

Everyone in our row scuttled in a corner. I looked at Mi Jin beside me. "Might as well join them." I held out my hand. Mi Jin's face reddened. She's been doing that a lot lately. Is she embarrassed to be around me?, I thought, disappointed. "Are you coming or not?" She cleared . "Sure, whatever."

We approached the group and took our seats. They were already in the middle of a heavy discussion. 

"I told you, we should have basketball instead of tennis. Everyone likes basketball. In my opinion, tennis is just some old people sport." 

"Nu-uh, I beg to differ. Tennis is fun and just as exciting as basketball."

"No way. I want to play soccer." 

"But I also want to play baseball." 

"Where have you guys all been? Haven't you heard of ultimate Frisbee? That's the latest thing right now?" (a/n: I'm not actually sure if this is true hehe :P)

"What about track and field? There's some people who likes to run too." 

At some point, they stopped talking and turned their attention towards us. "Well, what do you guys think?" I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. "Erm. . ., " I started. To be quite honest, I knew nothing about sports. This is the one topic that I knew absolutely nothing at. Just as I was about to say my unsure answer, I got interrupted.

"What do you think, Mi Jin?," someone said from somewhere the back. A few gasps due to surprise erupted one by one. 

"Well, if it isn't the notorious playboy, Kai," a fellow girl classmate said. "Still trying to pick up on girls, eh? Mi Jin will never give in to your ways." This guy, Kai, smirked. "Why, are you jealous?" The girl stood up in rage. "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!"

Before a fight could ensue, I jumped in between the two and said, "Can you please just pay attention to our job? We're supposed to be choosing the sports to play at the Sports Festival." 

"Sungyeol's right." The class president stepped in. Whew, good thing we have the class president on our team, I thought. 

In the end, we decided to have basketball, tennis, soccer, baseball, ultimate Frisbee, track and field and volleyball. Basically, everything we have discussed earlier. We showed Mr. Shim the list. "Good job. Now you're next step is to show this to the P.E. teacher and make sign up sheets for the sports. On the day of the Sports Festival, I want you to help the P.E. teacher to set up the stations. Everything clear?" "De," we all agreed. 

For the next following days everyone became busy preparing for the even. There were some days where we'd spend half the day running around  the whole school, setting up the needed stations. After week's worth of hard work, it was finally the weekend before the Sports Festival starts. Everyone was giddy and excited. I looked at Mi Jin, who was looking through her phone. I nudged her. 

She looked at me with an irritated expression on her face. "What?," she scowled. "Did you sign up for any of sports?," I asked. Her expression softened. "No, I'm not really into sports. Although, I was about to sign up for tennis. I took lessons when I was younger," she shrugged, "I think I might skip school on that day." I nodded. Attendance in the Sports Festival wasn't mandatory though the school encourages everyone to join. 

"Well, if you ever decide to go, I'll see you by the volleyball courts. I'm helping out around there. Oh, and by the way, your friend, Cho Hee, signed up for volleyball too," I informed. A smile formed on Mi Jin's face. "Okay. I'll see if I can go." 

The bell rang. "To those who are helping set up the stations, please come early on Monday," Mr. Shim reminded. Everyone filed out of the class. I went to my locker and took out my belongings. 

"Hyung, did you join any sports?," Sungjong asked as we walked out the school grounds. I shook my head. "I can't play sports remember. Being athletic doesn't run in my blood." Myungsoo came up from behind me, laughing. "You !" I rolled my eyes. "As if you're any better, Kim Myungsoo," I retorted, "You're always the one that gets caught first and stays the it whenever we played hide-n-seek when we were kids." "Nice one, hyung," Daeyeol high-fived me. Myungsoo squinted his eyes. "Oh yeah? Well, things could have changed you know. And we're going to find out by playing that stupid game right now." He poked me and ran away. He looked back with a sinister grin and said, "Mehrong, hyung." 

"You're never getting away with this, Kim Myungsoo!" And with that, the four of us ran home laughing while playing hide-n-seek. 

 

The weekend rolled by quickly. I woke up extra early to help prepare the stations. When I got to school, almost everyone was already there and they were halfway finished setting up. An hour later, the students started piling in. Everytime a student walked in though the doors, I would jerk my head up from my papers and see if it was Mi Jin and once I see that it isn't her, I'd sigh in disappointment. Yah, Kang Mi Jin are you even going or not? 

I walked towards the empty pitcher of water. Empty again, huh? I picked it up and started walking towards our school bulding. The place where you can fill up empty pitchers of water was in the cafeteria and unfortunately for me, I took the entrance on the other side of the school which is the opposite side of the school where the cafeteria is. With a sigh, I dragged myself slowly over. 

I was nearing the cafeteria when I heard a piano playing. Huh? Oh yeah, you pass the music room before you enter the cafeteria. I stopped to listen. Wait, I should get back soon, the players are probably very thirsty. However, I stayed in my spot. This melody is very peaceful and relaxing, I thought. I wonder who's playing. 

Without a moment of hesitation, I opened the music room doors. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, naemiyoung here :3 So, how'd you like this chapter? I think this chapter is better than the one before this. LOL I told you I'd come back with a better chapter ^^ I might update again later so I guess you can look forward to it? 

Subscribe and comment :) 

P.S. Ooooh, I wonder who's playing the piano