Confidence 101

Yes

Hooray! We had just finished our last performance in Japan before heading to New York to meet with Will.i.am. We made sure to do it up big for our fans because this would be the last Japanese concert in a while since we would be working on our American debut. Bommie's singing was extra energetic, CL was more charismatic (if that's even possible), and if Minzy's dancing made your jaw drop before, well, I just don't know what to tell you.

Bom and CL were in their suite and Minzy and I were in ours. She had already gone to her room and I sat on on the couch. As I was flipping through the channels, 2NE1 appeared many times. It amazed me at how far we had come since 2009. Corny as it may sound, we had started off as strangers just working together and now we were closer than anyone could ever be.

I wanted to make a good impression when we made our American debut so I had to practice practice practice. I turned off the television and started to play my instrumental CD of all our songs. I had been dancing to "Can't Nobody" and humming along when Minzy came out of her room. She didn't look like she had been sleeping but she still looked hella tired.

"What're you doing up this late, Unnie?" she asked.

She stood there in her oversized t-shirt that hung off of one shoulder and rubbed her temples.

"I'm practicing," I replied.

Her brown eyes widened, "Practicing? We just finished a concert!"

"I know, but I just... You wouldn't understand, maknae." I sighed.

"Try me." she sat on the couch and stretched out.

"I just want to practice harder so that I might actually be noticed when we go to America,"

"You're noticed now!"

"Not as much as you and the others! Bom's singing gets her noticed! And CL's very presence makes people stop and stare. And your dancing, Maknae? You're all just so wonderful!"

"But there's something special about you! And you're so beautiful! For you to think you're not noticed is ridiculous!" she yelled back.

I stared at her. This was the best compliment she had ever given me. For a while, no one said anything until I asked her, "How do you do it, Minzy?"

"Do what?"

"Get people to cheer for you and act so excited when you perform!"

"Just one word. Confidence."

"Confidence?"

She nodded simply, "Yup. I'm so confident on stage that the fans can feel it and, in turn, get really excited,"

"But what if I can't dance like you?"

"I'll keep it simple. Just show it in the way you walk,"

I walked from that spot, to the wall, and back again. She shook her head and demonstrated, strutting around the room and appeared back next to me. I tried to mimic the movements of her hips and legs but must've looked ridiculous because I heard her giggle behind me.

"That's not helping!"

She grabbed me from behind by my hips and pressed herself against me. I instantly felt my face heat up. She started to sway my hips with hers and I could feel her breath on my neck.

"Now remember that feeling and go."

I walked to the wall and it felt so natural yet with the swaying of my body I felt more attractive so there was a little pep in my step. Minzy ran to me and gave me a high five.

"Swag!" she yelled and hugged me.

I grabbed her around the waist and laughed. Only we could get so excited about me learning how to walk. With a big grin still plastered on my face, I tried to pull away from the hug but Minzy held tight. I was confused by the look in her eyes. It was the very same expression from when we would perform "It Hurts".

"What's wrong Maknae?" I asked apprehensively.

"Please... Don't hate me Unnie." she said in a soft voice.

"I could never hate you!"

She tilted her head down slightly and kissed me. A jolt of electricity surged through my body. I was inert in her arms so she just held me closer. After we broke the kiss, I looked down at the floor. I didn't want her to see my flaming red face. She ran to her room and slammed the door shut. I dropped down to the floor and started rolling around.

I had just had my first kiss! I could still feel her lips against mine and my face burned again. I rolled back and forth while thinking about how much I wanted to kiss her again. I wanted to feel her body on mine, tangle my fingers in her hair and make her moan. I cried out in frustration. She had run from me! I went to her door and knocked on it.

"Minji! Open up!" I demanded.

"No!" she yelled back but her voice was shaky.

"Minji, open up," I repeated in a softer voice.

I heard the door unlock from the other side and walked in. She sat on the edge of her bed with her head down. I sat beside her and moved her hair behind her ear. Then I placed my hand over hers. She just stared at the floor.

"Look at me,"

She turned her head in my direction but still didn't look at me. I used my free hand to guide her chin so that she was facing me.

"Really look at me,"

"Are you mad?" she asked in the same soft voice from earlier.

Her eyes traveled up to meet mine. I brought my lips to hers. She pulled away from me and shock was easily read on her face; I couldn't help smiling because she was so cute.

"I am most definitely not mad." I giggled.