Starting off on The Wrong Foot

Starting off on the Wrong Foot

Chapter 1 - Starting off on The Wrong Foot

 

Seohyun stood in front of thousands of spectators, fans, and reporters all screaming her name. Finally the day of her debut had arrived. All she could do now was work hard and give the fans what they wanted and what they had come to see her for. No words could explain the happiness she felt at that moment. She was on the verge of tears; finally her dream was coming true.

“Welcome everyone!” the MC said with a booming voice. “The moment you have all been waiting for has arrived. This beauty that stands beside me has been patiently waiting for this moment just as you all have. Now give it up for the one and only Seohyun!!!”

As soon as the MC finished the introduction the crowd went wild. Never had Seohyun seen so many people at once before. All that was left now was to sing her heart out and earn the love that she was to receive from these fans.

“This is it… the time has come for me to stand out and show the world what I am made of,” she thought. “Well here goes nothing.”

The music began to play and she opened to sing but all that came out was a screeching “RIIIIINGG~~~!!!” sound. The audience immediately stopped cheering and Seohyun wondered what was wrong with her voice. Once again she started to sing and all she could hear was that ear piercing ring noise.

“No I can’t ruin this chance,” she franctically thought. “It can’t be over before it even began. Why is this happening to me? WHY?”

“Why is this happening to me? WHY?” yelled a still sleeping Seohyun while the loud alarm clock kept on blaring its signal for her to wake up.

“Seohyun ah! Seohyun ah! Wake up already you lazy bum, it’s time for you to go to school,” yelled a golden haired girl with an angry look on her face. The girl fiddled with the clock to try to get that annoying alarm to go off but she still couldn’t get it to turn off. After 2 minutes of constant ringing and dinging she decided it was better to just fling it at the nearest wall.

“Aish… this girl. Seohyun ah! Wake up already everyone’s getting ready for school,” the blonde girl kept repeating as she shoved Seohyun a few times. “Girl wake up already, you’ll be late!”

Just then a tall girl with short, black hair came into the room with a confused look on her face while holding an enormous bowl of cereal in her hands. “Jessica what the hell are you yelling about? I’m trying to eat my breakfast in peace. Why are you yelling?”

“Yah.. Sooyoung don’t talk with your mouth full and watch what you say I’m older than you remember,” responded a very ticked off Jessica. “Maknae* here doesn’t want to wake up. I think she’s having one of those dreams where she thinks she debuted or something. Honestly I don’t care if she doesn’t wake up but I don’t want to be yelled at when she wakes up and starts blaming me for not waking her up earlier.”

“Fine, fine, mianhae*. Here, hold my cereal, I’ll show you how to deal with maknae. YAH SEO JOOHYUN WAKE THE HELL UP, “ yelled Sooyoung. “JOOHYUN!! Did you hear the news? Sweet potatoes were banned in Korea. We can’t grow them or import them because they are supposedly bad for your health.”

Instantly Seohyun’s eyes shot open at the mention of her real name and sweet potatoes. “Unnie what did I tell you. Don’t ever use my real name please please please,” whined Seohyun. “You know I hate it. And never in your life lie like that about sweet potatoes. EVER again,” she said as she threw the meanest glare she knew how to give.

“You, maknae, get up already you’re late for school. Isn’t it your first day today?” Jessica asked while finishing the last bit of Sooyoung’s giant cereal bowl. “By the way the cereal was delicious Sooyoung, thanks for bringing it to me. Waking up this lazy bum here is hard work."

“Sica unnie*… did you… just eat… MY food?!”

“Bye Seohyun this is getting ugly fast. Good luck at school,” Jessica said as she ran out of the room with Sooyoung running after her yelling at the top of her lungs.

“Aish. Why did I have to sleep so late last night? Ah I’m so gonna be late to school.”

After a quick shower, putting on some light makeup, and choosing the cutest outfit she had, Seohyun happily walked to the kitchen to prepare a small lunchbox for her first day at Dongguk University.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sun began to shine through the slits in the blinds of Yonghwa’s room. He never was much of a school person so he let the sun be his alarm clock. After it trailed up to his face he woke up with a sleepy expression and gave out a loud yawn.

“Ugh the first day of a lame new school year. I wonder how many dumb fangirls will swarm me when I walk into my first class or how many lame professors will call me out for sleeping in class?”

Just as he finished his thought he heard a bunch of loud footsteps and muffled yells coming from the floor above him. Yonghwa rolled his eyes as he begun to imagine what kind of crazy people his neighbors were. He had only been here two days and he already knew that he wasn’t going to get along with them even though he hadn’t even met them yet.

“Hyung*,” a voice called from behind the door to his room. “We all need to get to school, we don’t want to be late on our first day. Get up already."

“Jungshin ah, calm down who gives a damn if you’re late. It’s just school.” Yonghwa yelled through the door. “I’ll be out in a bit, just be ready to go. And one of you guys go get the car started.”

“Damn and here I was thinking I was going to get to take a shower this morning, I guess not,” the lazy man grumbled as he began to get dressed and get ready for what he considered a pointless day.

“Yo guys lets move out. Is Jungshin already in the car?”

The youngest looking member of their group answered with a piece of toast in his mouth, “Yea hyung, he’s already waiting for us. Lucky guy probably already caught a sight of those hotties that live above us.”

“What hotties? You mean those crazy girls that woke me up this morning? Have you guys met them?”

“No we didn’t meet them. We saw a couple of them yesterday and woooooooooooooowie they are hotties. There was a really tall one with nice legs and a short blonde one that was a total cutie.”

“Ok, ok ,Jonghyun we get that they’re hot, no need to get your undies in a bunch over it. Fanboy over them after we get back from school,” the eldest brother said. “To the car.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Seohyun came out of the shower she noticed that nobody was at home. Jessica and Sooyoung were taking what they called “serious” classes so they couldn’t risk being late. Seohyun was usually a punctual person and was the first to sleep and first to rise.  She wondered why today of all days she decided to run late.

“Alright time to make some lunch really fast and head out,” She quietly said to herself. “I’ll leave the stuff on the stove and for the while that I put on my makeup and organize my books.”

However, she didn’t notice that she had accidentally set the stove on the highest setting until after it was too late. “Ugh what the…? Oh man now I have to find something to eat at school and I’m even more late. Does the world not want me to have a good day today or what?”

As soon as she stepped foot outside of her apartment she heard the familiar noise of an engine running. Unfortunately that familiar noise was the bus that she was supposed to catch. As it began to turn the corner onto her street she ran for it yelling for the bus driver to stop but it was no use. It was already too far for him to hear her.

“AISH! What the heck is wrong with today? Now I have to walk to school…” she mumbled as she started her 30 minute walk to the university. “Alright alright just have to make the best of the day. Every cloud has a silver lining right?” Just as she said that one of her heels broke. Instantly she lost all her resolve and began to pout and grumble the whole walk.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Jungshin since you’re already in the driver’s seat you drive, I don’t feel like it today.”

“Yonghwa hyung, you ok today? You seem a lot bossier and grumpier than normal,” responded the boy in the driver’s seat.

“Yea I’m fine; I just don’t want to deal with the bullcrap that school brings. The fangirls, the annoying professors, the cocky guys who think they can take me, everything is just a blast at school,” he reponds while finishing off with a sarcastic tone.

“Yo Minhyuk look. Its one of the girls that lives above us. Haha look at her run after the bus,” Jonghyun mocked as they stopped at the corner that the bus had just turned a few seconds ago. “ to be her right now. She’s  a cutie though. Jungshin offer her a ride man she looks like she needs some help.”

“Jonghyun, I’m not going to help you try to seduce a girl into our car for you to stare at her the whole ride there. Besides we don’t even know where she’s headed.”

“Aw come on just do it. She really looks like she needs help look at her she looks like she’s about to cry,” Jonghyun replied as he saw her break her heel. “See look she even broke her heel. She definitely needs help.”

“Fine but no tricky stuff please I don’t want to be called a byuntae* or anything,” he said as he surrendered.

They drove up beside her to see if she wanted some help. “Um excuse me, girl with the long, black hair. Do you need a ride? I saw that you broke your heel and missed that bus you ran after.”

“No thanks I’m fine,” she said while eying them suspiciously. “What do these guys want? They’re probably a bunch of byuntaes trying to do something to me or something.”

“Don’t worry we aren’t going to hurt you, don’t look at us like that, we just want to help a neighbor out. We’re the guys that moved in the apartment under yours a few days ago,” Minhyuk said with a boyish smile that would melt the hearts of fangirls far and wide. “Just get in it looks like we are headed the same way.” He said as he opened the door.

Might as well…” she thought.  “Kamsahamnida*. Thanks for the ride," she said with a smile and a bow. "Actually, I’m sorry for the trouble but do you think we could go back and grab me another pair of shoes. I don’t think it’ll be a good idea to walk in these all day,” she asked with a bit of aegyo* added on to make them fall for it.

“Well, well, the little princess is already asking for more favors even though we are doing her a pretty big one already,” complained a voice that came from the passenger seat. “Alright babycakes, since we are already going to be late thanks to someone in this car,” he said with venom in his words, “It won’t hurt to be more late now will it. Now go on ahead and - ”

“Don’t pay attention to him he’s just on his period or something,” Minhyuk said cutting off Yonghwa’s angry rant. “Go ahead we will wait here for you.”

As Seohyun got off the car and ran to her house she tried to get a glimpse of the rude jerk that insulted her. All she saw was that he had headphones in his ear and his style of clothes made him look like a troublemaker. “What a jerk,” she said to herself while walking. “What the hell is his deal..? Babycakes?! I made him late?! Ugh, he’s lucky that I wasn’t sitting next to him.”

Meanwhile back in the car the younger brothers started ganging up on Yonghwa. “Yah hyung, don’t be mean to her it looks like she’s already having a tough day. Keep your thoughts to yourself, I thought you said it didn’t matter if we were late since ‘it’s just school’ remember?”

“Whatever, that girl is probably one of those airheaded fangirls. I’m just trying to avoid problems form someone we don’t even know.”

“Ugh hyung just calm down and go to sleep or something. Leave this girl to us,” Jonghyun said.

“Jonghyun that sounded weird, just keep it in your pants please. Damn ert…” Jungshin said as he trailed off.

Great more crap to add onto my already crappy day. Although the girl did seem fun to tease and poke fun at. She looked really cute when I called her out.”  Yonghwa thought. “Nah nah what am I saying. She’s probably just like the rest of the girls at school."

 

 

Author’s Note: Hello there all. First of all, thank you very much for reading this story. I hope that I can be a good writer for this story and not make it too painful for you guys to read it. As you may have already seen this is a YongSeo/Goguma couple story. Sorry this first chapter was dragged out and relatively uneventful. I hope that as the story goes by I can make it more interesting.  I should be updating quick since I don’t really have anything else worthwhile to do. Unless you consider schoolwork worthwhile. Anyways, thanks again for taking the time to read this. Comment/review please as I would like to take any form of constructive criticism from you guys in order to make this a better story.

Also since not everyone is a Korean culture freak not I assume not everyone will know what certain Korean words mean. I added an asterisk (*) to any Korean word that I used the first time. If you already know the words the  ignore this.

Mianhae - sorry, less formal speech

Maknae - the youngest member of a group

Byuntae - ert

Hyung - term used by guys that means older brother

Unnie - term used by girls that means older sister

Kamsahamnida - formal way to say thank you

Aegyo - cuteness or charm.