Nine.

The Girl Who Cried Wolf.

 

Peniel's POV.

I let out a loud cough which caught their attention. Jane sat up and gestured me to sit beside her. Ilhoon flashed me a death glare but I simply looked away. Jane grabbed my hands, which made my heart skip a beat. I swear this feeling seemed so familliar. "Peniel.. I.." she started, "I don't know how to thank you..".

I simply smiled and held her hands tighter while gazing deeply into her beautiful brown eyes. Seconds later, Ilhoon faked a cough and said, "I'll go get something for you to drink ok, Jane?"

I snapped out of my trance and answered, "Coffee please." to stop myself from staring. Ilhoon rolled his eyes and snorted, "Your name isn't Jane right?". And with that, he trotted his way to the kitchen.

"What was that all about?" Jane snapped. Of course I already knew. That kid was jealous. 

"You know us men. We don't like each other the first time. Especially if we find the other intimidating.. So.. I guess I scare him. Hahaha" I laughed.

She stared at me with that are-you-kidding-me look, "Seriously, you're so full of yourself." She smacked me in the tummy and walked toward the shelves of books. I couldn't help but smile even more whenever we had petty squabbles. She pulled out a huge book and smacked it on my lap.

"It's been a long time since I've seen my family photos. Wanna look at it with me while waiting?" she suggested. I couldn't say no to her. I pulled on her arm which made her fall beside me as I flipped to the first page of the album.

Jane's POV.

He pulled me down hard which made me fall towards the sofa. My head hit the edge but I didn't want to cause unnecessary worry so I shrugged it off. I sat beside him and pointed to each of the pictures, briefly describing the situation. Memories came flooding back to me. All the good old times were pouring back in. I found myself coming closer and closer to Peniel. He began laughing at a particular dorky photo of me. I smacked my lap and turned to him to find our faces really close to each other. 

My ears turned red hot. My palms were sweating as I grabbed onto the sofa covers tightly. Our eyes locked. It felt pretty intense. I leaned in towards him as though my life depended on it. It was like a strong magnetic force was pulling us closer. The tip of our lips met.

"JANE, I'M BACK!!" Ilhoon shouted from the front door.

We quickly pulled away and avoided eye contact.

"So.. What did I miss?" Ilhoon squeaked. 

"Uh, I have to do the laundry...." I said as I awkwardly walked out of the living room and into the bedroom.

Peniel's POV.

We almost kissed.

Everything seemed so perfect until that twerp came. My heart can't contain itself. It kept racing without a thought of slowing down. 

Ilhoon sank down on the sofa, "She's lying..... She hasn't been home for a year. What laundry can she possibly do.."

He shot back up and flashed me his famous death glare, "You didn't do anything to my Jane, did you?" 

Pffft, my Jane? Well, that does it.........

"First of all, she isn't your Jane or anybody elses. Second, why would I want to do anything to her. She's just a friend.." with that being said, I stormed out of the house and stood out at the porch. 

"Why am I so worked up?" I asked myself. I bit my lip, thinking back about all the stupid things I had said back there. I continued pacing back and forth, hesitating to go back into the house for the sake of my pride. My phone began vibrating. *Saved by the call*

"Hello?" 

"Hello Mr Shin, we have brought the money over."

"Very well. Meet me in front of the village leader's villa." 

"But Mr Shin, where is the villa at?" 

"You'll figure it out. Now hurry." I rolled my eyes and hung up.

I strolled back into the house and yelled, "Get Jane out. We're going the the village leader's villa."

Ilhoon raised an eyebrow and called Jane out of her room. She blinked her eyes cutely and asked, "What's going on?"

I tilted my head and smirked, "Don't you have a debt to pay?"