The Noise Basement

The Other Side

“I think we really should get up,” Ji Yong said, looking up at the clock.

“Oh come on, just one more,” I whinged. My eyes are fixed on the temptation that lay before me.

“I’m telling you, we’re going to be so late.”

“Ji Yong, don’t pretend you don’t want one more round.” I brushed my fingers up and down his arms, teasing him.

“We need to get there by nine.”

“And we will, don’t worry,” I assured him. When he didn’t answer, I slowly grabbed his hand, placed the game controller in them and I knew he was sold for at least ten more minutes. Ji Yong’s game collection is absolutely amazing; we’ve been staying in, playing PS3, and ordering delivery for the entire day. It was almost eight at night. Some may say that it’s a waste of time in a beautiful city like Seoul, but this apartment was the place where he felt most comfortable to just mess around and be himself, and where he was comfortable so was I. This morning we watched the sun rise together, and draped in one big sheet from the bedroom window. It was a similar view from the one in LA with the metropolitan skyline and obviously the same sun, but in today’s dawn, I simply had no words to describe it.

With our score now tied, Ji Yong and I decided to call a truce, ditch the game for a little while and get ready. Young Bae oppa and Minzy were set to perform at Club NB in Hongdae tonight on a rare gig that YG family traditionally holds for sajangnim’s franchises. Club NB or Noise Basement now had three branches and earned its reputation as the ultimate hip hop club of Seoul where youths go to dance, drink and just have a good time. Needless to say, I was excited.

“Pants or a dress?” I poked my head into the bathroom, still steamy after Ji Yong had just gotten out. He hurriedly wrapped a single towel low on his hip.

“Ri Ah! You just came in here to take a look didn’t you?”

“Maybe. Maybe not.”

“Pants,” he decided definitively. I put on my black wax skinnies and an off-white, stiff, square collar top. The bright red lipstick I used to stop myself looking like a chess board, considering the black heels I decided to wear. I look at Ji Yong in admiration as he waited for me, all dressed and ready on the couch. You know someone is a trendsetter when they put on something ridiculous, and can pull it off like it’s the most normal thing in the world. I had no idea how he made a blazer and bright coloured sweatpants work, but it did.

“Let’s go,” he said, and he got up to give me a peck on the lips, which thankfully I blocked just in time with my clutch.

“See this bright red thing?” I told him, pointing to my red lips. “It means no access.”

“Why!?”

“Because you’re going to get some on you, and then you’re going to be rubbing your mouth all night, being all self-conscious and embarrassed for making out with me.” He thought about it a little and then silently took my hand as we made our way to his car.

The line started from the all the way down the block by the time we arrived. Ji Yong made his way to the back, raising some curious stares from the waiting patrons as his less than conspicuous Bentley drove past them. I could barely here the music as we entered through the back door, put after walking down of dimly lit hallways I begin to hear the booming bass and Young Bae oppas voice riling up the crowd, and boy was it a crowd. Tonight, people could forget about dancing, it was basically a mosh pit out there, while the VIP seaters upstairs could rest and relax on lounge chairs and drinks. Honestly, I felt like I was in the wrong section. A vast number of faces I recognised as being well known composers and artists, others not so much, but I put a smile on my face and greeted them as Erika Lee.

“Has Minzy come up yet?” I asked Dara unni. I found a comfortable seat surrounded by my first drinking buddies in Seoul, the 2NE1 members, sans Minzy. We’d learnt our lesson, and tonight it was soft drinks, juice and water for us.

“She was the opening act, but she’s coming on again for a joint stage. I’m so excited for her, performing with her boyfriend!” Dara said as she clapped her hands in delight.

“Why were you so late?” CL asked.

“She was probably having a little too much fun with Ji Yong.” Bom said, obviously trying to get details.

“So much fun unni, all day long we did it,” I teased and she almost choked on her drink. “Playing PS3 that is.”

“Boring.”

“What’s boring?” A man’s voice interrupted our conversation and I turned around to see Se7en along with his fiancé, actress Park Han Byul right by his side.

“The two of you,” Bom replied. “Ya! How can you still not be married? Did you want to become parents first or something?”

“How’d you know?”

“What? Han Byul-ah, you’re pregnant!?” Dara exclaimed. Han Byul unni smacked Se7en on the back of the head.

“This is how people get ideas about us. Go away, can’t you see this is a girl’s only table,” Han Byul unni said, setting her drink down. Se7en just laughed then did as he was told. “Sorry about that, he just wanted to get a look at you.” It took me a while to realize that she was talking to me.

“Hi. I’m Erika Lee,” I greeted her.

“I’m Park Han Byul, it’s nice to meet you. I heard a lot of nice things about you from Dong Wook, who heard it from Seung Hyun, who heard it from someone else.”

“Yeah, word does spread pretty fast doesn’t it.”

“When Ji Yong’s involved, usually.” A sudden cheer from the crowd cuts our conversation short, and the entire VIP section stood up to catch the steamy stage of Young Bae and Minzy, performing a variation of their solo songs along with covers of western hits. I was almost convinced they were one hair’s breadth away from making out right then and there. Hearing Dara unni squeal, I knew she thought the same.

“Erika!” Once the stage was done and the conventional club music took over, I turned around to the unbearably happy faces of Seung Ri and Daesung oppa who dragged me over to Ji Yong’s table filled with the sajangnim, his wife, Big Bang and the rest of the first generation YG family. I would say that now would be the perfect time to say I was star struck. I’m a huge supporter of Ji Yong’s company, sure, but Big Bang and these pioneers of hip hop were my main source of inspiration. Thankfully, Ji Yong’s hand pulled me onto a seat next to him before my legs gave away.

“Oooh, is this your girlfriend Ji Yong!?” the man I recognised to be as Kush said, smirking from across the table.

“The little gentleman of Itaewon finally decided on one! Congratulations!” said another man, a little older than Kush with short spiky hair. It was Sean, part of the old school duo Jinusean with Jinu, who was coincidentally also there with his wife.

“It took you a while,” Jinu said. Ji Yong was visibly getting embarrassed being the centre of attention in front of his hyungs, covering his face, looking down and running his hands over his hair. It was like he was twelve once again and the maknae of YG. The sight was so adorable that I wanted to torture him a little longer.

“One? How many were there to choose from exactly?” I asked.

“The ballerina, the chaebol’s daughter, the model…” Seung Ri listed. “Did I miss any hyung?”

“You’re going to die today,” Ji Yong murmured through gritted teeth. The maknae was trying to poke fun at him as long as he could while he had the power of the crowd and a public space.

“But none of which he brought to the family,” sajangnim stated and I could see Ji Yong give him a thankful glance. Psy, the entertainer in the crowd raised his glass and the entire VIP section gathered, their own glasses raised.

“To youth,” he started, with a dramatic tone that got everyone laughing. “To the mountains of our life, to the rising sun at its peak, to the steps taken to get there, and to the love that gets our hearts beating along the way. CHEERS!” It was absolute poetic crap, but I enjoyed every word of it. I happily joined the rest of the crowd and saluted back.

The time blew away quickly and I met a few other famous faces such as Tablo, Gummy, old 1TYM members and the like. When the night grew late and the dance floor began to empty we went downstairs and moved to the music. Those who could dance and knew they were good at it had their solo moments in the centre while the sajangnim took his place as a DJ onstage. Needless to say, the night was absolutely incredible. After a while I found myself sitting at the bar, trying to catch my breath, and took in the sight before me in admiration. I couldn’t help but think of the spectacular world I found myself landing into, partying with such great movers and shakers of the music industry.

“Are you tired?” Suddenly I found Ji Yong sitting right beside me on the bar stool, lazily slouching. “You look way too serious to be at a club. What are you thinking about?”

“The ballerina.”

“Now I REALLY feel like smacking Seung Ri.” I laughed at his nervousness.

“I’m kidding Ji Yong. The past doesn’t bother me. Anyway, it’s too bad you didn’t perform today, I would’ve liked seeing you.”

“You’ve never seen me perform?”

“Never.” I could literally see a light bulb flash in his mind as he bit his lip and his eyes suddenly started to wander. He’s clearly wracking his brain for something. It’s been almost ten months since we’ve been together, but it felt like I knew him better than myself.

“Tomorrow I’m going to start recording with the members. Want to come?” he asked.

“When?”

“The entire day basically.”

“I want to roam around for a bit, do a little sight-seeing. I’ll come to you when I’m done, but tell the members not to eat, I’ll bring lunch.”

“Seriously?” I nodded my head and he lifted up both his legs and kicked them around in excitement. “Assa! But are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?”

“Bringing you around Seoul is asking for trouble. Go do your work.” I kissed him on the corner of his mouth, and realized my mistake when I left behind a lipstick mark. I almost considered leaving it there for fun, but slowly I wiped it off with my thumb. Then that sudden spark came again, the sudden need for him, and I knew he felt it too because a tense silence overtook us against the loud background beats.

"No." I quickly covered my mouth, before he could do anything. Making out in front of new associates wasn't really in the plan for this evening.

"I know, I know. But I'm seriously going to chuck out that lipstick of yours when we get home."

 "You can do whatever you want when we get home," I said and then I took his hand and led him back onto the floor.

 

AN: Thanks again everyone! Hope you enjoy it!