The Flaming Winter

The Flaming Winter

As the diamond filled the sky, twinkling in her eyes as it feasted on the cold white land and breathed mists of wonder. The cold brief of the great goddess sent a shiver down her lungs and yet it felt so welcomingly menacing. The emerald maple leaves broke itself from the breathing support and met the flat surface of the earth, lending a touch of nature on the icy covered soil, helplessly, as if hope had abandon them completely and disappeared from the grasp of need.

A golden emerald haired girl watched the once magnificent mansion that had became her only shelter and protection against the harsh cold weather that was eating her will to stand as her knees weakened at the very moment. The memories of pain, laughter and joy she had shed in that mansion had slowly eaten by the flame of anger and jealousy. A very essence that kept the drama went on in that mansion before it turned into a crimson monster and destroyed everything.

The time went she should be losing hope, knowing well that she was lonely but instead, a small smile curved above her jaw. She is lonely. And she admitted it. Lonely of being away from the people she loves. There will be no hands to support her, giving her the help to move on. No more servants who can cook, no more bodyguards to protect her, chasing those enemy who would put her at harm, no more supporting shoulders that would offer a comfort and no more…no more family who have promised to stick together no matter what and be by her side, before and always. But now only the large tree that supported her weight, only the snow that keep her cold, protecting his small frame from the wrath of the flame and only the icy covered ground that kept her standing. A silent sob circled the frozen air as a revelation sank in deeper into her heart.

Scream of anger rang in her ears as if the whole conversation she had with others repeated itself in front of her. The teary girl shook her head, trying to pry the hurtful scene from her mind but the more she pushed it away, the clearer it became. Her mind as if playing a trick on her and her memory worked so well at that moment till she felt like ripping it off her head and soaked on the darkness that seemed so near. Her sob turned into a weep and slowly turned into a harsh loud cry. Her head was spinning and so did the world around her. The monstrous flame turned into a beautiful crimson rose in a white vase, the cold wind turned into a warm living room and everything turned mystically wrong.

“How could you?! Out of all the people in this world! WHY?!” A broken manly yelled hit her delicate self, pushing her from her weak stand.

“Please! Let me explain!” Another voice came but it was a sharp feminine voice that was strangely familiar in a way.

“You lied! What’s there to explain?! All this time, you’re never honest to me!”

“Oh please! You make it sound as if you are so innocent. You even played with her!”

“Stop being delusional! I never even touch her!”

“LIE! I saw you kissed her in her bed! Explain that!”

“She was crying. I tried to comfort her, that all!”

“Comfort? Is that what you call comforting? You kissed her lips!”

“IT WASN’T ABOUT HER!!!” The crying girl fell to her knees and her cheek met the hard surface of the frozen soil. The fight she heard in the living room. It was about her isn’t it? She didn’t know what to do. It was her fault. “It’s my fault.” A plea whisper came from her swollen lips.

My fault…

My fault.

My Fault!

It was me! I touched him! I didn’t push him away when he hugged me! It’s my fault! My fault that this mansion was eaten by flame! My fault that everything was destroyed! My fault that they separated! My fault that they won’t open their eyes anymore! My fault! My fault!

“MIMI!” A slapped met her cheek as an angry lady lunged herself onto her and punched her on the floor. She was so shocked to even move her finger. What happened? She was just trying to get a cup of plain water for herself when suddenly, the lady, the person she respected the most came and attacked her. “You ungrateful child! How can you do this to me?!!!” Do what? Mimi asked herself. What did she do? Mimi stayed stationary on the cold marble despite that her head was bruised by the punched but somehow she didn’t fell the pain at all. As if she had became a friend to the pain itself and all she can feel that time is numb. The punches and slaps came again yet she stayed still until another roaring voice came into the room.

“Karen, stop!” A fairly built guy pushed Karen off me and guilt came rushed through my vein. This is the first time I saw Karen was treated roughly by her own husband and the reason was me. Me again. “What are you doing? Kill her?!”

“She better off dead! An ungrateful child like her shouldn’t have been born to this world at the first place!”

“Shut your mouth Karen! You shouldn’t have said that about our own daughter!”

“I won’t call a devil like that my daughter!” SLAP! Mimi saw it. Her father just shut her own mother with a forceful blow. And they stood silent, looking at each other. Mimi saw everything. The anger, jealousy and betrayal mixed in those orbs of her parent. What have she done? She is a cursed child.

“Cursed child.” Mimi whispered. “I am a cursed child.” A sudden rushed of fear crept into her heart as she begun to shake uncontrollably. Mimi wrapped her arms around herself, trying to shield herself from the fear within herself but the more she closed herself from the world outside, the more fear rushed into her.

“I’m sorry, mommy, daddy.” Mimi wept to herself. “I’m so sorry.” Another wave of panic pounded into her chest as she felt suffocated by having her own arms around her. Everything turned cloudy at the moment and she slowly eaten by the guilt and pressure that came from within her own flesh and blood but before she fell completely into her tiresome slumber, a whisper came out of the thin air.

“It’s ok, angel. I’ll take care of you.”

“Ah. Who are you?” Mimi asked weakly. Her eyes was failing her as she can only see the thin outline of the blurry image but before she can say anything else, her life’s switch plugged off from her soul and cold darkness took her to the world beyond.

(flashback)

“I won’t call a devil like that my daughter!”

“Karen! How could you?!”

“This is all her fault! It’s her fault we’re fighting and it’s her fault we’re breaking up, Kay!”

“Breaking up? Who said anything about divorce?”

“Me! I want a divorce!”Karen slammed everything on the kitchen table off and they fell broken on the floor near her feet.

“Karen! Get a grip! You’re going insane!” Kay held her hand to calm her down but she pushed him so hard that his head landed on the table with a loud ugly crack. Kay felt to the floor as blood ran from his head to his neck and his eyes were as round as wheel. And Mimi sure, he wasn’t breathing anymore. By the time, Mimi felt like the whole world just crashed on her, leaving her flat under its weight. Mimi took a glance toward her mother and she swore that she just saw a monster laughed to herself after killing her own husband.

“Mommy?” Mimi tried to reach for her mother but she pried her hands off.

“Get your hand off me, you daughter of a devil!” Karen went of laughing as Mimi sat there on the floor, feeling lost at the moment. Her father is dead and her mother had gone mad. She can feel that she was also losing her mind. Everything was not right and her head was churning in fear and confusion.

And the last thing remember before running out of the house was her mother reached for an oil and lit up a fire that went wild in a matter of a second and finally ate away her home. She didn’t know how she managed to get herself out and she didn’t care but all that she knows that she had lost everything.

(End flashback)

A figure looked down to the fainted broken girl. She is beautiful and pale like an angel of winter but somehow her face looked as if she had gone through a thousand years of civil war. The tall man kneeled down next to her and carried her in his arm gently not to hurt the bruised angel.

“I’ll take care of you, angel.” With that, he his heels and brought her to the other side of the horizon and a pair of white wings spread out on his back before they disappeared behind the large trees. But deep inside, Mimi smiled to herself as she felt a warm blanket had laid over her as she drifted slowly, away from the flaming winter.