Angel & Mortal (Part 1)

SNSD ♥ ~ Short Stories!

 

Yuri's POV

I was looking around at all the crystal mirrors. They were my only connection with the human world from above. As one of the goddesses nurtured by God, our role was to make sure that everything in the human world was under control. You know how sometimes you seem like you were going to die but lived instead? That was us. 

I was monitoring the situation from above, looking for my next job. Goddesses were objective beings of God, we were all void of emotion and simply taught to do our job. It might have been a mistake of God's part but I could think for my own and I had emotions. However, it would be foolish of me to question God's ability so I simply accepted it as a gift. Looking at the large crystal mirror my heart ached for the humans who struggle so hard to live their lives. I pitied them for having lost the ability to see what is truly important in their lives. Golds and riches blinded them from the pure emotions of happiness and concern. 

The coincidence was questionable but right at that point in time a girl caught my attention. Wearing a simple colored hood and skinny jeans she looked no more than an ordinary girl. She was skinny and had a pretty face. Her complimenting long black hair was captivating but to a goddess it was nothing out of the ordinary. The girl had a wrinkled hand held in hers and assisted the old lady across the busy road while carrying the groceries that the old lady had bought. I was taken aback, simply because I had thought that the world had been lost of such people. She waved goodbye to the old lady and was again on her way to wherever she was going. I decided to observe her a little more. She was smiling all the way to school as she thought back to the good deed that she did. Her smile radiated the whole place and I, as a goddess, was mesmerized by it. Ignoring the many lives I had to save, I went down to meet this girl. 

Slowly descending from the skies, I walked on the clouds to Earth. I casted away the dark clouds and heavy rain and made my way to the girl's house. I sat by her room's window on the second floor of her place, waiting for her return from school. Humming a soothing tune I looked around her room. It was tidy and neat, nothing short of what you'd expect of a girl. Her room was simple and pleasant to the eye. No extensive make up sets that you'd expect from a girl these days, no over abundance of clothes, no unnecessary posters hung all over the room. A small teddy bear lied on top of her flower printed bed sheet. I picked up the bear and played with it. The bear's feet had extra work done on it, it was clumsy but the words were readable. 'Yoona', I recited the name in my head. 

----------

On the same path that she was on, Yoona was now making her way back home. She hummed to the tune of 'All my love is for you'. Silently making her way through the bustling street and turning the corner to her quiet home. 

"I'm home" Yoona's mum nodded her head in approval as she heard her daughter's elated greeting.

Yoona climbed up the stairs onto the second floor after grabbing a piece of meat form the dining table that was supposedly cooked for dinner. her fingers as she gobbled down the food, she opened the door to her room.

"Ahhh!" Yoona screamed in shock as she found a girl laying on her bed. Her bag fell off her shoulders and she stood there with agape. 

The girl was awoken by the deafening scream and rolled off the bed with her head hitting the floor face first. 'Ouch, ouch, ouch' she cupped both hands onto her face trying to lessen the pain. Yoona's mum called out to Yoona after she heard the scream. Yuri hurriedly placed a finger on Yoona's lips and held a pleading look to not say anything. 

"It's just a cockroach, mum." Yoona replied after Yuri released her grip on Yoona.

"Wh..who are you!" Yoona looked at the invader. 

"I'm.. someone who was sent to protect you." Yuri gave a lousy excuse.

"Protect me from what?" Yoona caught on to Yuri's absurd excuse.

"Protect you from.. erm.. bad guys." the childish remark actually came out from the goddess's mouth.

"You are such a bad liar." Yoona knocked Yuri's head and Yuri stuck out her tongue.

Yuri whipped up a rose as if performing magic and presented it to Yoona.

"Wow you know magic? That's so cool!" Yoona clapped her hands excitedly.

"If you ever need a miracle, pray to the rose and tear off the petals." 

"Haha, can I wish for something now then?" Yoona said jokingly.

"It works only once, you're going to waste it now?" Yuri opened her eyes wide.

"Guess I'll save it for another time."

Yoona placed the rose in a container and proceeded to sit back on her bed with Yuri. The two of them chatted for a bit before Yoona was summoned down to the kitchen by her mum. When she got back Yuri was no longer in sight. Soaring the skies and back to heaven Yuri treaded the clouds. She took a glance at Yoona's place before returning to the grand palace called heaven. Returning to her post, Yuri acted as if nothing happened and continued to do her work. Grinning to herself, Yuri thought back to the time she was conversing with Yoona. The innocence of the girl made her happy and she secretly harbored feelings for the girl. 

The days passed and Yuri would secretly visit Yoona everyday to talk to her.

"You're here again?" Yoona smiled.

"Hehe, do you want me to be here?" Yuri returned the smile.

"Today in school I had this massive cosplay event and I dressed up as a goddess." Yoona blushed.

Yoona would share her stories with Yuri and she would listen quietly to the girl's story.

"Anyway what do you do? You always seem so free." Yoona questioned Yuri.

"I look after people." Yuri searching for the right words to use.

"Oh that's really nice." Yoona clapped her hands excitedly.

"Such a innocent girl." Yuri fell even more in love with the mortal in front of her eyes.

----------

"Yuri, you think it's such a good idea to keep doing what you do?" the goddess within the same shift questioned Yuri after certain time has passed.

Yuri was taken aback by the question. She had thought she was doing a good job keeping it under the radar. She was then revealed to the truth that it was not just her who knew about Yuri's daily visits to the mortal's place. 

"You better stop while it's still under control." the goddess warned her.

Having been warned Yuri stayed restlessly in heavens for the next few days. Yoona who was on Earth sat up at her bed wondering where Yuri had gone to. Up till now, Yuri had visited her everyday. Yuri's sudden disappearance left Yoona worried and slightly empty on the inside. She could feel the loneliness. She missed the presence that listened to her everyday. She picked up the container that held the rose and talked to it instead. 

"I miss you Yuri." she told the rose.

"I miss you too." Yuri said to blank air as she looked at Yoona through the glass mirror...

---------

It's been a while since I updated right? I was having bad writer's block and with everything going on in my life it was hard finding time to write the story. Sorry I had to cut the story at such an uninteresting part. I'll write the next part soon! In the meantime please bear with me and to all yoonyul fans! SARANGHAE~ Yoonyul is finally back in business.