Summer Sun

Summer Sun

 

“Ahh, it’s so hot…” You hung your head down as the sun beat bruises on your neck. Why Suho and the rest of Exo had the biggest urge to play soccer on a day like this, you had no idea. All you wanted to do right now was be inside with a good book with the fan on high blowing icy cold air into your face.

But, noooooo. Instead of a nice breeze, you got sticky moist gusts of non-existent wind. What a wonderful alternative. It even came to the point where you changed into your bikini top so that you wouldn’t get a terrible farmer’s tan which you knew all the guys would get eventually with the exception of Kai and Luhan who were smart enough to wear tank tops. Of course, they took off their shirts after a while… You weren’t complaining.

You just had to make sure that Suho didn’t catch you staring too long at Kai’s six pack. You chuckled to yourself remembering the time Suho got upset because Kai let you feel his abs. Your argument was that if he was so jealous of how fit his dongsaeng was, he should just work out himself.

Needless to say, he insisted on buying a treadmill for the apartment.

Days like this reminded you of the early stages of yours and Suho’s relationship. For one entire week, the power was out in your neighborhood, so he’d commute to your house every day with two bags of ice and a box of popsicles. You both would wrap blankets around the bags and sit on them while snacking. The entire time you’d watch him fail miserably as he attempted to feed you pick-up lines that compared your smile to the sunshine. It was still nice to about it occasionally considering he’s forgetful about those things.

”________-ah!” Suho waved to you as he jogged from the field to the bleachers where you sat. The sweat that glistened on his forehead clouded away as he slipped off his shirt. Your eyes grew wide.

“Um, Oppa?”

“Huh?” Suho looked down. “Oh, these?” He pointed to the evenly defined contours on his abdomen and smiled.

You choked on your words as he got closer. Honestly, the only thing you could see while he was approaching was his abs. You could feel your heart pounding in your chest as he stopped just in front of you.

“You like?” He smirked.

Like? More like love!

But you couldn’t let you know that. Despite Suho’s innocent image, he had a knack for making fun of your vices and you refused to let this be another reason for him to joke. You had to admit though, as his girlfriend, you’ve been pretty blind to whatever he was doing. It was almost like someone airbrushed this new figure on him.

“Yea, it’s nice.” You flashed him a modest eye smile and refocused yourself on the soccer game. Chanyeol somehow ended up on the ground with the ball by his head, Lay was off somewhere, and Tao and Baekhyun were distracted by a stray puppy. You rolled your eyes. How and why are you the only girl here again?

“Just nice?” Suho raised his eyebrows. You knew he was seeing through your bluff because you had a habit of avoiding eye contact whenever you were lying. Thank goodness you were already sweating from the heat or he would have seen you were sweating right through your little lie.

Kris ran over just in time to take Suho’s attention off you. “Come on, ________-ah! Join us for a game.”

“Oh, umm—”

“She’d love to!” Suho grabbed your arm and tugged you along to the field despite your protests.

“I’m only wearing my bathing suit! And I’m not even wearing any sneakers—what?”

Suho just stood there smiling at you. You knew that facial expression. He was up to something, but you just couldn’t guess what.

“You know I love you, right?” He started.

“Um… yes? What does this have to do with—”

“So you won’t get mad if I—”

“SUHO HYUNG!” Lay shouted as he ran up to you guys full force with a Super Soaker Arctic Blast water gun his hands. He had the most maniacal look on his face as you watched him shoot the entire tank at—

“YAH!” Suho yelped as the freezing cold water whipped against his face and the entire top half of his chest. You got wet, too, but only the remnants of whatever hit your Oppa.

You exploded into a fit of laughter as Suho’s hair (normally volumized which added two inches to his height) fell in streaks down his forehead. Suho just glared at Lay, looking at him that just screamed “I’m going to kill you in your sleep.”

“You were supposed to hit her!” Suho screamed.

“WHAT?!” You hit his arm. “Is that why I’ve been suffering in the heat for the passed two hours?!”

“U-Uh, well, I-I—” Suho stuttered.

“You just wanted Lay to get me with that stupid—”

“Don’t worry, Hyung.” Sehun appeared behind Suho. “I gotchu.”

Suddenly Suho ducked, and Sehun shot his Super Soaker straight into your chest. Your jaw hung low as your skin seered from the frozen water.

“Oh…. Sehun…. I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!” You ran straight at Sehun not without Suho standing in between you two. He lifted your feet off the ground and spun you around to keep you from squirming. “OPPA, LET ME DOWN!”

“Not a chance!” Suho kissed you sweetly, stopping your rant. You were resistant at first, mumbling “Put me down!” as he kissed you. Luckily for Suho, you instantly tasted his strawberry chapstick as it flooded over your tongue just as fast as the water that dripped down your back. You forgot how sweet he tasted.

Suho smiled at you.

“I still hate you.” You giggled.

***

You and Suho drove back to the apartment you two shared quite soaked and shivering especially after you all found out that Lay and Sehun weren’t the only ones with super soakers. You tried your best not to sneeze as you combed your fingers through your damp hair. Surely, everyone will get pneumonia after today.

As you stepped through the door, Suho disappeared to the back. You walked over to the window and looked outside, finally appreciating the sunshine.

You felt the fuzz of a warm towel cover your shaking shoulders followed by a pair of arms matting the material down. Suho hugged you from behind, sighing into the nape of your neck. You nudged him with your chin and nestled your back into his chest.

“Thank you for spending the day with me, ______-ah.” Suho sighed. “Even if we get sick after this…”

You chuckled. “You don’t usually like the heat. Why today?”

“Well, maybe…” He tightened his grip on you. “I just wanted to see you smile in the sunshine.”