Ultra Junior

Paran High

It was lunchtime and students had gathered in their normal spots either out in the front lawn of Neul Paran High, in the cafeteria, or they had left campus to get “real food”. Other students are still in class, listening to their teacher drone on and on about whatever subject their being taught - it’s such a nice day outside; what they would to enjoy it right now despite the fact they had already had their lunch. However, on the first floor in the back of the school where the music wing - home of the orchestra, band, and dancers - stood, there is a muffled blasting of music coming from the studio. The sound traveled down the hallway and that was okay. This is a frequent occurrence in this wing.

The hiphop mix sent vibrations running through the walls. The squeaking of gym shoes is lost somewhere in the quick beat as three boys maneuvered their way into formations in the midst of choreography. It goes and flows smoothly until a yell was heard and then a thud, followed by another yell.

Donghae runs to the stereo and stops the song as Heechul tries to untangle himself from Shindong’s heavy limbs.

“Aish, FATSO!” Heechul says, kicking Shindong away from him. He stands up with a huff, watching the younger student roll around on the floor, whining about his shoelaces. “Can you get act together?!”

Donghae hurries over to his fellow member and tries to help the heavy load up with much effort. “His shoelaces were untangled, Heechul-ssi; it’s not his fault.”

“How are we supposed to perform this in front of the school?” Heechul grumbles, walking over to the mirror to fix his hair. He begins to calm down on his own as his eyes trace over his own features. From his flawless dark brown hair that reached just past his neck to his smooth, cream skin to his cute smile down to his pointed chin. He’s pleasantly handsome, Heechul has to admit, and he thanks the good Lord for his beauty. He wouldn’t know what to do without it; he would be nothing. He’s famous in the female students’ eyes, which is why is he remotely popular at this school in addition to the fact that he’s a dancer in Ultra Junior, composed of him, Donghae, and Shindong.

Donghae is not as popular as Heechul, but he’s well-known and liked amongst both the male and female student body because he himself is good-looking, a dancer, and -the difference between him and Heechul- much nicer and accepting of any one and everyone. It’s very hard to find something unlikeable about this kid.

Shindong...isn’t anywhere on the hierarchy of Neulparan High. He’s pretty close to nobody, or at least people don’t choose to acknowledge him because there isn’t much of a reason to; it wasn’t like it mattered to him anyway nor did he notice it. Shindong is the kind of guy that can get along with anyone, but he’s also fine on his own.

How these managed to come together to create Ultra Junior is a story on its own.

“I’m telling you, Donghae,” Heechul starts, turning back around to find Shindong still on the floor, munching on a bag of chips (where did that come from?) and Donghae sitting beside him, “We should just replace him.”

“But, Heechul, he’s a really good dancer!”

“He has yet to prove it!”

“It’s because I haven’t eaten lunch yet,” Shindong says in his defense, “Can we go get a big bowl of Jajangmyeon now?”

“Not until we finish this dance through,” Heechul demands.

Shindong whines, kicking his legs in the air like a child, before pushing himself up with a sigh. He really wanted that jajangmyeon...