chapter three

Time Capsule {hiatus}

Loud screaming and banging could be heard from down the hallway and none of the students could tell which made their ears hurt more. “Somebody must be dead at the end of that hallway for it to be this noisy!” one senior student yelled, agitated because it was the start of the school year and she has already had enough of a headache from that morning's lecture from the disciplinary teacher. To her displeasure, it wasn't a bloody murder, just an angry transfer student banging on the door to the headmaster's office.

“Keep it down, will you? You're giving me a ing headache,” she spat at the pink-haired newbie standing in front of the door.

The girl turned around, rolled her eyes but not bothering to reply and just continued to bang on the door. I'll deal with her later, Soojung thought. Seconds later, the door swung open and an unamused greying headmaster appeared, feigning a smile but failing to cover up the fact that he was in no mood to deal with yet another (the fifteenth, in fact) transfer student to come knocking at his door. Before he could even offer a how may I help you? Soojung got right to the point.

“I need a new dormmate, ASAP.”

“What's wrong with your current one?”

“It has a .”

The old man scoffed, “I'm afraid half the population does, sweetheart.”

“Half the population isn't dragging their leather pants through my dorm and spilling their chips on my couch,” Soojung retorted as she tried to get rid of the image of Jongin slouched on the couch with his legs on the coffee table. That was her job.

The headmaster suddenly paused, raising an eyebrow. Jongin, he thought, pissing his dormmate off already, huh? “Look, the school has been trying to promote gender equality, so uni dorms are becoming common,” he continued, “but, I'll give you this,” he handed her a form, “if you can get this dormmate agreement signed by both your current dormmate and your desired dormmate within the next fifteen minutes, I'll let you switch dormmates.”

Soojung furrowed her brows, “what happens in fifteen minutes?”

“You losing your only opportunity if you keep standing here because the time has officially started,” he stated, pointing at his ticking watch. 

That's when she understood... this old geezer was trying to challenge her. 

 

 

“Cheers to new dormmatehood,” Chanyeol said as he lifted his plastic cup to Jinri who smiled back at him before lifting her cup as well.

Jinri took a sip of the fruit punch, not minding that it had gone stale in Chanyeol's car because all she could focus on was the bright smile on Chanyeol's face that hadn't left since the day she met him. Living with Soojung seemed to have made her forget that there were actually optimistic people in the world. Five minutes earlier, Chanyeol had smacked into a wall due to having so much luggage in his arms that it blocked his view and yet when he got up with an evident bruise on his forehead, he managed to laugh it off (even through the tears).

“That's gonna hurt in the shower,” Jinri commented, and Chanyeol laughed.

“Yeah, but I'm cool with it. I've had worse,” he paused to roll up his sleeve and pointed to a scar on his shoulder, “this was from last year when Baekhyun provoked a gang. I had to swoop in and save his because singing and looking good can't exactly help you win a fight.”

“You sure do stand up for Baekhyun a lot.”

“I do,” he agreed, “he gets himself into a lot of but he can't help it. In the time that I've known him, he's kind of just prone to making people hate him. It's never intentional, though.”

Jinri nodded, completely understanding what Chanyeol meant. After all, Soojung was really no different. Almost as if Chanyeol's mention of Baekhyun had summoned him, he appeared seconds later at their door, disheveled and with a baseball bat in hand. Before Chanyeol could make a witty remark about Baekhyun being a little too eager to join the baseball team this early in the year, Baekhyun demanded, “I need a new dormmate, Chanyeol, switch with me.”

“I thought you said you didn't like Jinri,” Chanyeol joked, and Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Not her, dorkface, YOU,” Baekhyun turned to Jinri, “no offense.”

“None taken.”

“First of all, can you explain why you have that?” Chanyeol questioned, pointing at the baseball bat still firmly gripped in Baekhyun's hand.

“Well,” Baekhyun took a breath, “I arrived at my dorm and it turned out that my dormmate was this arrogant senior who told me my audition was amature and that she was surprised I even got into the school to which I replied 'I'm surprised they let someone as ugly as you into the school, how many mirrors have you shattered so far?' to which she then said, 'were the judges blind and tone-deaf when they passed your audition because you're both ugly and untalented' so long story short I fixed her face.”

Chanyeol's jaw dropped, “you BEAT her?”

“Of course not,” Baekhyun shook his head, “I whacked her over the head and and the tough talking passed out but that's not the point. I CANNOT live with this, we need to do a dormmate swap.”

Before Chanyeol could go on with his lecture about why Baekhyun was in deep , Soojung emerged, slamming the door behind her. She rushed over to Jinri, slapping the paper in her hands onto the counter and shoving a pen into Jinri's hand. “I need you to sign this. Right. Now,” she urged, glancing at the time on her watch.

“Why? What is this?” Jinri asked.

“A dormmate agreement. My dormmate is an and this is my only chance to do a swap so I need you to shut up and sign this right away because I have about ten minutes to get this back to the headmaster,” she said in a hurry, growing impatient when Jinri decided to raise her eyebrows at her instead of signing the form. 

“But Soojung, I already unpacked everything,” Jinri whined, “can't you just try to get along just this once with your dormmate?”

“I'll be your dormmate,” Baekhyun offered, and before Soojung could interject he continued, “I know I'm the last person on this planet that you would want as a dormmate but I'm begging you, I swear I won't do anything weird,” he pointed to his arm, “you see this? This little bruise here was from my current dormmate. She threw a textbook at me before I knocked her out.”

Soojung stared at him, weirded out but at the same time, somewhat impressed. Baekhyun stared back at her hopefully, clasping his hands together and mouthing 'please.' She looked down at her watch, seven minutes. At this point, she knew Jinri wouldn't budge and there was no way she could make another friend within the next minute. Desperately, she grabbed the pen from Jinri and handed it over to Baekhyun. “Make it quick, I need my dormmate's signature as well.”

 

 

 

You gotta keep your head up oh oh.
And you can let your hair down eh eh. 
I know it's hard, know it's hard, 
To remember sometimes.

Suzy sang aloud in the shower. It had become a habit now, and she wished she could bring the entire shower up onstage with her when she sang because it made her voice sound ten times better than it was. Sometimes she envied Soojung and Jinri's voices but she couldn't help but acknowledge that she had quite a nice voice as well (in the shower, at least). 

She had decided to take a quick shower before heading over to Jinri's. However, she didn't exactly appreciate the school's antibiotic soaps that smelled of pretty much nothing - she had grown far too fond of the scented soaps and bath bombs from bath&body works. 

From outside, the lock clicked open and in came a dazed-looking boy with dyed platinum blond hair. His name was Oh Sehun, a junior student who was prone to arriving late to pretty much everything. He had missed the orientation but he didn't really care since he had already seen it for the three years he's been at the school. It was a new year, and he unfortunately couldn't get his old dorm that he shared with his buddy Myungsoo back so they had reassigned him to this new one that didn't have the same balcony view that he grew to love about his old dorm. But, when life gives you lemons, you squeeze them in somebody else's eyes, and Sehun planned to take it out on somebody (eventually).

He slumped lazily on the couch, switching on the television and turning the volume up. Meanwhile, in the shower, Suzy's stopped in the middle of her song when she suddenly heard the sound of the television. Her eyes widened as she anxiously turned off the showerhead and wrapped a towel around her body. Very cautiously, she crept slowly into the living room. Unfortunately, Suzy has never been good at being sneaky and made direct eye contact with the boy sitting on the couch. 

Both of them stopped what they were doing and their eyes widened as they saw each other. Sehun's gaze almost instinctively dropped to the thin towel Suzy had around her body and before he could explain himself, Suzy screamed and grabbed the flower vase.

 

 

 

Five minutes, Soojung noted mentally as she reached for the doorknob to her dorm only to find that it was locked. She groaned, fumbling for her keys in her pocket. She stopped, eyes wide, remembering that she had left her keys inside the dorm with... it. She banged on the door, screaming, “open this door right now! It's an emergency!”

He didn't respond, but she knew he was there. She could feel a weight pressed against the opposite side of the door when she leaned into it. She spoke, “I know you're there, , let me in.”

“Why would I let someone who calls me an '' into my dorm?” he replied, amusement in his tone.

My dorm, Soojung pressed two fingers against her temple to keep her from breaking the door down and strangling him. Looking down at her watch, she had four minutes left. “Jongin,” she spoke softly, and Jongin raised an eyebrow from the other side of the door suspiciously, “I know you don't like me almost as much as I don't like you, but if you open this door and sign my dormmate agreement, we'll never have to cross paths again,” she reasoned.

Jongin stopped for a moment, turning to press his ear against the door. There was a moment of (agonizing) silence, with Soojung gripping her pen and paper tightly in her hands and silently praying that Jongin will open the door and hoping that in spite of all the junk food she's been consuming, she's still as fast as she was back in middle school when she was on the track team so she could race down there at the last minute. After thirty painful seconds, Jongin finally said, “would that make you happy...if I sign it?”

She nodded her head, “yes, yes it would make me very happy.”

He smirked, “then I'm not signing it.”

She got up, agape, “son of a—” and before she could go on about how she would kick the door down and suffocate him to death, the door suddenly swung open, nearly hitting her in the face if she had stood a mere two inches closer. He appeared, his expression completely neutral as he grabbed the paper from her and signed his name right under "preexisting roomate" and shoving it back into her hands. “Now get the hell out of my face,” he said coldly before slamming the door.

If he hadn't just done her a huge favour, she probably would have turned back to punch him square in the face. Without a second thought, she turned around and began to sprint for the headmaster's office.  

By the time she had reached the headmaster's door, she was two minutes over fifteen minutes, and the headmaster was there with his pocketwatch in hand and a frown on his face. “Two minutes too late.”

Before she could begin pleading or make some desperate attempt to change his mind, he had already disappeared into his office. And just like that, her fate was set.

 

 

 

“Whoa, whoa, hold on!” Sehun said, his arms stretched out instinctively to protect his face, “they never told me my dormmate would be a girl.”

Suzy gripped the vase tightly in her hand, still trying to process the situation in her head. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down enough to get a better look at the boy's face. It was familiar (and this was coming from the girl that couldn't recognize her own relatives when they came over during the holidays). She took a step forward, looking down at the confused blondie with the tv romote still clutched in his hand (it was the first object he grabbed when she threatened to throw the vase at him). 

“The café” she uttered.

“What?” he furrowed his brows, slowly bringing his arms down from his face.

“You were one of the Haneul boys that visited our café the other day,” she concluded. 

Sehun slowly nodded, “yeah, I went with Myungsoo and Taemin. I don't remember seeing you, though.” And that was because he had his eyes on another beauty that day, one that Taemin urged him to approach but he refused out of nervousness. 

“I was one of the maids. I was working in the back so you probably didn't see me,” she explained, “you must have seen Jinri, though.”

“Jinri?” He thought back to the black-haired girl that served him the cheesecake he had ordered, smiling cutely at him before returning back to her post. Jinri. It was a pretty name, and it suited her as well.

“Anyway,” she interrupted his thoughts, “I guess this means that we're dormmates now. My name is Suzy.”

“Sehun,” he replied, holding his arm out.

Suzy, forgetting that her right hand was busy tucked under her arm to keep the towel up, held out her right hand to shake his. By the time she realized this, it was too late.

Sehun has never been good with eye contact.

 

 

  

 

 

 

 


A/N: It's summertime! Short but entertaining to write. I can't guarantee quick or frequent updates but I can say that there will be updates and possible new fanfics. Let the stories continue~