Chapter 1

Part of the List

A sweet aroma came over Kai's senses, he closed his eyes and inhaled it deeply with a smile. He was almost there, he followed the intoxicating scent around a corner and let his eyes lay on a brightly lit up sign that had the name of his favorite cafe. His mouth salivated at the thought of his dessert of choice, Strawberry Cheesecake.

 
"Its been far too long.." He said to the Cafe approaching it with his hand out ready to open the door. Kai had been busy like no other with EXO's latest comeback, so the moment he heard that they had no schedule for the day he rejoiced and spent a large majority of it sleeping and playing video games. He wasn't thinking about sweets until a commercial caught his eye while laying upside down on the couch thinking about what to do next. The TV showed him cookies, pies, cakes you name it, all from a Bakery he knew of that wasn't to far from their dorm. 
 
Kai had sat up his lips but had no intent of going to that Bakery, he had already made up his mind that he would be visiting an old Cafe that probably had the best cheesecake in the history of cheesecake. He realized the time and got dressed quickly, it was getting late and the worst thing that could possibly happen to him right now was getting there and it being closed.
 
Kai opened the door and the smell that was once faint and taunting hit him full force overloading his nose with delicious scents. He smiled and walked towards the counter shoving his hands in his pockets, he felt like a little kid in a candy store. He got in line and looked around taking in some of the detail of the Cafe It really hasn't changed.
 
Last time Kai was here was before debut, its already been 2 fast years he was starting to wonder why he never made his way back here when he had free time before. He peered over the few heads in front of him in line and bit his lip. It's late, why are so many people here...? He was being dramatic, there were only 3 people in front of him and the rest of the place was almost empty. Kai just didn't feel like waiting, he wanted his cheesecake now, and these 3 people were slowing his process. 
 
Kai shifted his weight and sighed, finally the first man had moved to go find his seat, One down 2 to go.. He stepped forward closing the gap in the line. He let his mind wonder thinking about whether or not he should be a fattie and get two slices instead of just one. The sound of the bells on the door brought him from his gluttony thoughts and he turned to see who was coming in. 
 
Kai's pupils dilated when a beautiful young girl stepped in, all thoughts of cheesecake disappeared from his mind while he watched her take off her jacket and place it on the coat hanger. She looked up brushing some of her hair out of her face. Kai swallowed hard as her name lingered in the back of his throat.
 
***
 
You took a deep breath and and rubbed your cheeks while stomping on the doormat. You felt as if someone was staring at you and you looked up to met a pair a dark sparkling eyes. Your heart skipped a beat as you stared back into the eyes watching you. You blinked a few times still stuck, What's he doing here...
 
The moment Kai's eye's met yours a movie played in his head at a fast speed. It highlighted every moment that he had cherished with you, every kiss, hug, laugh and even his first time. He opened his mouth to say something but he couldn't form the right words, instead a small smile started to creep on his face without him even knowing.
 
You sized Kai up from head to toe as the same fast paced movie that played through his head played through yours. You stepped towards him wondering if you were hallucinating, but seeing a faint smile form on his face making your heart beat faster let you know he was real. You finally lost your dumbstruck look and grinned from ear to ear approaching him.
 
"Jongin?!" You were standing in front of him now and almost stepped back seeing his perfection so close. Kai blinked and smiled coming out of the trance your wide smile had put him in, he cleared his throat and finally said your name. He looked down at you dazed before snapping into his senses. 
 
"W-What are you doing here?" Kai heard himself say these words then mentally kicked himself. What is she doing here? how about a 'Heyy how are you doing?' or 'Wow, long time no see'... What? No, thats gay.. maybe 'You look... beautiful..'.. Or 'I'm sorry....'. Kai's mind started racing a mile a second trying to figure out what he should of said to the girl he was once madly in love with and hadn't seen in over 1 1/2 years.
 
You looked around the cafe then back at Kai, "What are you doing here?" 
 
Kai's mind was going blank and he gave you the only logical answer, "I wanted some Cheesecake." He said with a straight face. You nodded your head eyeing him, He's still difficult to read.. "Well so did I.." You answered. You looked in front of him and saw there was no line, "Are you gonna move up or what?" you asked with a smirk. 
 
Kai turned and saw the empty space between him and the counter, he put his finger to his lip and smiled nervously at the waiter looking at you two. 
 
"Oh, yeah..." Kai turned his back towards you and walked up the counter, you followed closely behind and caught a whiff of his cologne. He still smell's good... You stared at him shamelessly from the back, trying to figure out when he got so damn tall. He was always taller than you but the gap between your guys height had grown quite a bit. You outlined his back and your eyes locked onto one of your favorite features about him, his broad shoulders. You felt yourself melting in his presence but quickly gained your senses. You couldn't believe he was still able to induce such feelings from you after all this time.
 
"2 Cheesecakes please." Kai gave the waiter a charming smile nearly killing her, she had recognized him the moment he stepped in but kept herself from fangirling since everyone else in the building seemed to either not know him or cared less. You heard Kai say 'two cheesecakes' and you couldn't believe he was actually ordering and buying for you. You stepped up closer to him with an amused look. Kai turned and looked at you reading your expression, "What?" he asked.
 
You tilted your head to the side playfully nudged him, "You didn't have too." 
 
Kai looked at you lost, "I didn't have to what?"
 
You nodded your head in the direction of the waiter who was ringing up his bill, Kai looked back at her and then back to you still not getting it. He was about to question you again when it finally dawned apon him. He chuckled and pressed a hand to his chest, "Ahhh... Those..." he stopped himself, he was about to tell you that they were both for him but he couldn't bring himself to say it aloud, so he did nothing more than force a smile towards you.
 
Kai turned back pulling out his wallet and paid for them, he grabbed a number card and faced you, "Lead the way.." 
 
You fixed your purse on your shoulder and turned heel walking towards the tables, there was a really awkward air about you two and you wished it would go away but what did you expect? It's been so long since you two have talked.
 
Kai followed you now taking his turn to stare you down, he loved the way your hair bounced a little with each step you took. His eyes would continuously drop below your waist causing a small smirk or  of the lips, he couldn't help himself and would have to force his eyes back up to look at something more appropriate. 
 
You stopped at a cute little booth a slid in, you looked back up at Kai waiting for him to sit. Kai's first instinct was to sit directly next to you and he even stepped in on your side but quickly switched up and sat in front of you. 
 
You two sat in some of the most awkward silence known to man kind, Kai didn't know where to begin nor did you. Kai downcast his eyes on the table while biting his lip and you were looking out the window twiddling your thumbs. Your eyes focused on Kai's refection in the window, you couldn't believe how shy he was being... but then again you had no room, 'quiet' wasn't exactly part of your personality. You continued to examine his face in the window with dim lighting, He's only gotten more handsome... His hair was a little messy but still held somewhat of a style to it, you could see his skin wasn't as clear as you remembered and you knew it was because of all the stage make up he had to wear, but even with all that you honestly couldn't remember the last time you saw someone this handsome up close. Pshh and I dated him... a smug look came over your face and Kai happened to catch it in the window.
 
"What are you grinning about?" he asked
 
You shook your head looking at him with innocent eyes, "Nothing.."
 
You both looked away from each other again letting silence set inbetween you again. Kai was getting annoyed, this wasn't how it was supposed to be. He used to play this scene over his head, the day he would see you again. Kai had never once forgotten about you, and you would often cross his mind. He knew you guys didn't exactly end on a good note but it's not like the break up was nasty either. It was just hard and hurtful but also mutual. Kai sighed thinking about how it was mainly his fault, he bit his lip not being able to stand the silence anymore. 
 
"How have you been?" he started. He didn't advert your eyes when you looked at him, he stared right at you waiting for an answer.
 
You cleared your throat and felt your palms getting sweaty, Why is he staring at me like that.  
 
"Good.." you started, then decided to continue because you knew that answer was far to vague to cover a year and a half. "I've been great actually." You smiled brightly. "I know I complained about not wanting to go to the states, but I really enjoyed my time there.."
 
Kai's eyes widened with amusement, "Miss Hollywood huh?" 
 
You laughed a little shaking your head, "Not hardly, but what about you? Mr. Kpop Idol?"
 
A smug smile formed on Kai's lips, "We're doing pretty good, far better than I expected we would.. sometimes it still really feels like dream.."
 
You nodded your head feeling more comfortable, "You really deserve it, I've never seen anyone work as hard as you." 
 
Kai blushed but felt slightly hurt at your comment knowing that his determination to succeed is what had started to bring your guys relationship to a end. He would never regret it, but he still wished there was a way he could of had it all.
 
"But honestly what's an Idol like yourself doing here?" You glanced around, looking at the cafe. It defiantly wasn't a place where you'd spot someone famous.
 
"I used to always come here, I'm the one who showed you this place remember, plus..." Kai looked up and saw the waiter coming towards you guys with two cheesecakes in her hand smiling like crazy at him. She placed them on the table and lingered for second eyeing you with a not so friendly stare. 
 
"Thank You." Kai said letting her know she could leave now, She bowed and smiled "Enjoy."
 
Kai pulled his cheesecake closer to himself, "Like I was saying, plus.. they have best cheesecake ever." He gave a charming smile and you thought that you were watching a CF for second. Kai rubbed his hands together getting excited again, he picked up his fork and took a strawberry off the top  some whip off before popping it into his mouth, closing his eyes with a look of satisfaction.
 
You now felt like you were watching some sort of movie, "Do you always eat your strawberrys like that?" you laughed a little when Kai opened his eyes obviously coming from the high that his food was taking him too. 
 
Kai his lips, and you couldn't remember if he always acted like this and you just didn't notice and you were now only aware of it cause you hadn't seen him in a while.
 
"I haven't had this in over a year" 
 
You laughed at the coincidence, "Me either! how funny is it that we run into each other like this?"
 
Kai cocked his head to the side with a smile, your laugh.. he missed it. "Mhhm, I know.. I didn't even know you were back in Korea."
 
You picked up a strawberry and did it the same way Kai did his with a smirk. "I've been back.. for like a month already." You popped the strawberry in your mouth making eye contact with him.
 
Kai rolled his eyes his at your actions and you smiled. "Are you trying to seduce me?"
 
You looked at him wide eyed, "I simply did it like you!"
 
Kai shook his head digging into his cheesecake, "Your still a tease you know?"
 
You scoffed, the nerve of him. "I'm the tease?" 
 
Kai nodded putting some cake in his mouth then on the fork, "Yes, you are."
 
You arched a eyebrow at him, "Have you seen yourself on TV Jongin, you can't possibly tell me you do all that unknowingly."
 
Kai's eye's got big, "That's just how I perform" he answered with innocently, "Wait..So you've been watching me?"
 
"No.. not really.. since I came back, you know.. it's not like your not everywhere.." You looked down forking into your dessert blushing. You didn't want Kai to think that you were monitoring him or something, cause you really weren't. You watched him when he was TV, it wasn't like you weren't a fan of other artist who came on music shows. 
 
Kai leaned in towards your chewing on his cake, you felt his presence getting closer and you didn't dare look up, instead focused on your food. Kai continued to stare at you, and couldn't help the thought of She's so cute from repeating in his head. He rested his head in his hand still staring at you. He could tell you were cracking under his gaze but you held a pretty good poker face until you snapped. 
 
"What?" you finally met his eyes annoyed.
 
Kai leaned back in his seat smiling. It felt too good pissing you off, he smiled to himself at still knowing how to get under your skin. "Nothing.."
 
You give him a sarcastic 'Oh really?' face, before mumbling "And I'm the tease..pff."
 
Kai chuckled looking at you, "So what are you doing now?" he asked changing the topic. Kai watched your face go from annoyed to excitement.
 
You beamed at him, "Oh! I'm working in fashion now!"
 
"Really?.. What happened to art?.. or dancing?" he questioned.
 
You waved your hand at him, "I had no passion when I drew.. and dancing was always your thing."
 
"But you were really good at drawing..." It saddened Kai a little knowing that you didn't draw anymore, he used to not mind watching you paint or draw whatever was on your mind. He felt like through your art he got to know things about you that you never said out loud.
 
You shrugged, "Mhhm.. I don't know. I just wanted to find something that I love doing you know? and art to me just didn't give me that feel... It's like... mhh.. like you and dancing. You clearly have a love and passion for it. I wanted to find something that I could feel the same way about."
 
Kai nodded understanding but still wanted to stress the fact that shouldn't completely stop drawing. You told him that you wouldn't and that you would give it a crack again when you have time. You then quickly changed the subject back to your current career.
 
"Anyways don't be surprised if you see me working around your company and picking out your outfits." You pointed your fork at him with a grin. Kai had a quick burst of happiest go through his body at the thought of getting to see you everyday. 
 
"Really?" he asked with a wide smile.
 
Your heart melted, "Nah, I won't be working at any big company like that yet. But I'd love to change the god forsaken wardrobe they put you idols in." You twirled your fork in the air before sticking it into your cake. Kai frowned and cursed himself getting excited about that in the first place.
 
"I actually like the clothes I get to wear." He stated with a blank expression.
 
You laughed a little harder than you intended to, "That's cause you have no fashion sense Jongin."
 
Kai smiled, he knew it was true. Fashion was just over all difficult for him so he stuck to simple things and never really bothered with it. "Even so.. I still like it." you both laughed.
 
Before you guys knew it your cheesecake was gone but you were both far too immersed in the conversation you were having to get up and leave. Most of the conversation was you two filling each other in on the past year and a half but once that was done, the reminiscing began. You couldn't believe how much Kai remembered about you, you know you didn't forget a single detail about him but seeing that it was the same for him too had you smiling till your cheeks hurt.
 
Kai couldn't stop staring at you when you talked, his eyes were taking in every detail possible on your face. He remembered it all, he loved that you let your hair grow back out, he always thought you looked your prettiest with it. He compared a mental picture that he took of you the last time he saw you to now, and it was if all the features he fell in love with were enhanced by 10 fold. Your long eyelashes and extremely bright eyes that were full of character, your creamy smooth skin that he was dying to touch, the way your eyebrows would move together making the cutest face. When you pulled some hair behind your ear he saw his favorite mole right below your ear, and thought of how he would always kiss it.. these among many others where all part of the list of things that he missed.
 
"Jongin?" 
 
Kai snapped out of his dazed and refocused on you, "Mh?"
 
You looked over at the waiter who was changing the open sign to closed and now making her way towards you guys. 
 
"I think we've overstayed our stay here" you smiled a bit grabbing your purse. Kai cleared his throat and sat up, "Oh.."
 
The waiter stopped at your table with a little less genuine smile than earlier, "I'm sorry but we're closing. Thank you for coming." She picked your plates and you and Kai nodded with smile about to get up. 
 
After she left, you and Kai slowly slide out of the booth, Kai felt him panicking inside on the thought of not seeing you again after this. You two walked towards the front and you noticed Kai's happy era had somewhat went away, you looked at him and he was looked like he was in deep thought. You grabbed his arm and it sent a shock threw your body causing you to pull away immediately.
 
Kai jolted and looked down at you, "What are you doing?" he rubbed his arm where he was just shocked. You laughed nervously not really knowing why you actually reached out to touch him, "You were spacing out on me.."
 
Kai scratched the back of his head, "My bad.."
 
You pulled your coat off the coat hanger and put it on promptly. You two walked out and a gush of cold air hit you causing you to snuggle your face into the collar of your jacket. You turn back looking at Kai who seemed to be stuck.
 
When your eyes met Kai's, Kai knew he couldn't just let you walk out of his life like this. He said your name peering deep into your soul. You walked up to him and waited to see what he had to say.
 
"It was great seeing you here today.. and I know I'm really late on this but... I'm sorry." He didn't break his gaze from you, and you opened your mouth to question what exactly he was sorry for but he started speaking again.
 
"For how things ended between us.. I know I really hurt you and I've always regret not ever apologizing about it or even seeing you off when you left.. I just want you to know I'm really sorry."
 
You were speechless. Kai's eyes said it all though, you could see that those words were something that he had probably been trying to tell you since he saw you.
 
"Jongin.."
 
Kai finally looked away from your face feeling as if weight had been lifted from his shoulders, he looked to the sky and let out a puff of air before looking back at you.
 
"I probably shouldn't be saying this.. but I've really missed you." Kai didn't know where he was getting all this courage from to speak from the bottom of his heart but he couldn't stop the words coming out of his mouth.
 
You blinked at his last words and moved towards him in shock, "I've missed you too.." You said without thinking, you didn't expect Kai to be like this, even though somewhere deep in your heart you were wishing for him to say these things all along. Kai gave you a breath taking smile after hearing what you said. He dug in his pocket pulling out his phone handing it to you.
 
"Then I guess we should keep in contact.." Kai lost all his confidence and looked away from you with a shy smile.
 
You grabbed his phone and quickly put your number in it, then handing him yours and he did the same. You two stood there awkwardly and something about it reminded you of when you guys first started talking. Kai shoved his hands into his pockets, "I should get going.. my members are probably wondering where I am.."
 
You smiled and nodded, "Okay, me too.."
 
You stared at each other still not walking away, you started backing up still looking at him with a smile and Kai was mirroring your expression. Everything about this moment made him think of your guys first date. Kai thought back to the commercial he saw earlier today and thanked God that it led him here. He pulled a hand from his pocket and started waving, you don't know why but you giggled and started doing the same. 
 
"Bye~" he called with a smile.
 
"Bye~" You gave him your best smile and turned around walking away from him. You bit your lip looking at your phone getting excited at the thought of him texting or calling you. You stopped your thoughts shaking your head knowing that you and Kai were only friends now, and that it would and should stay like that.. but you still couldn't help but smile at the possibilities.
 
Kai watched you walk away and hoped that you would turn around just one more time so he could see your face again. He quickly turned away so he wouldn't have to look at your back with such pathetic hope. I'll see her again.. he put his hand in his pocket holding on tightly the to the device that held your number in it. 
 
 

This story totally came outta no where for me, I was supposed to be writing about Lay, lol Damnit Kai! But yah, I happened to think of the song that Kai said he listened to when he was trainee "Part of the List" by Neyo and yah i starting writing. After re reading this, this story actually reminds me of my other Kai fluff "Kinda Special" -____- Oh well. I totally winged this and wrote it in one sitting. I hoped you like it! Thank you for reading/subbing! <333 Comment and tell me what you think! :D