Chapter 3

Diary of SYN

Before long it was lunch time and the three previous dongsaengs escorted SYN to the cafeteria.  They led them to their usual table and seated them.  All the surrounding tables had been pulled back to make way for the selection process. 

Luhan stepped to the front of the group.  He raised his hands to get the crowd’s attention.  “Alright guys.  I know you first years have been waiting all day for this, so let’s not delay any longer.  There were enough of you this year for all three girls, that Ukwon, Kiseop and I had to narrow it down to three challengers for each.  We’ll start with Seol.”

Minhyuk stepped forward and Seol instantly recognized him as Yonghwa’s young friend.   He looked nervous so she gave him a smile of encouragement.  “Hello, I’m Minhyuk.   I think you are very kind and beautiful.  If you give me the chance, I will make you happy every day.”  He blushed.  “Thank you.”

The next boy stepped forward.  “Hello, Seol.  I’m Chunji!”  He waved in a cute manner with both hands and bowed.  “I’d like to sing you a song.”  He sang a love song, and Seol thought he was quite cute until he blew her a kiss.  For some reason, it didn’t affect her, but she smiled politely anyways.

Seol looked around as the last boy was supposed to come forward.  She heard him before she saw him.  He was rapping and the crowd parted to allow him through.  His eyes locked on hers and her heart skipped a beat.  No freaking way. . . L.Joe?  He continued to walk towards her, eventually coming to kneel down in front of her.  He took her hand in his as he finished rapping.  “My name is L.Joe, and I want to be your dongsaeng.”  He kissed her hand, then stood next to the other two boys. 

Luhan leaned in so that Seol could whisper her decision in his ear.  He then addressed the crowd.  “Seol has made her choice.  Her dongsaeng this year will be. . . L.Joe!”  Everyone clapped and L.Joe came to sit beside Seol.

Ukwon then came forward to present Yatsumi’s candidates.  He raised his hand.  “First up is Minho.”  He clapped as the boy he mentioned came forward.

“Hello!  I’m Minho.  I wrote you a poem.” The girls in the cafeteria screamed and Yatsumi leaned back, ready to enjoy this.  He cleared his throat and then began to read.  Contrary to his young appearance, his voice was deep and pleasant and Yatsumi found herself leaning forward.  He finished reading and pulled out a red rose, handing it to her.  “Please consider me for your dongsaeng,” Minho said and stepped aside.

“Yo yo yo!  My name is C.A.P!”  The next boy announced.  He wore dark sunglasses and his dark hair was gelled up.  He started rapping and Yatsumi swayed to the rhythm of his words, obviously enjoying the song.  He stopped rapping and danced.  His style was definitely street hip-hop.  Nice, Yatsumi thought.  This boy’s got some moves.  He finished and bowed.

“Hello, I’m Changjo.  I know there is only room for one man in your heart, but I was hoping you would let me stay by your side for now.”  Changjo motioned for someone to start the music.  “Hip Song” started playing and Yatsumi sat up straighter, entirely focused on the boy in front of her.  His performance couldn’t be faulted.  Not Rain, but not bad either.  She pursed her lips in approval as the song ended and Ukwon came to get her decision.

“Not surprisingly,” Ukwon announced, “she has chosen Changjo.”  Changjo took his place beside her.

The murmur in the cafeteria rose as Kiseop stood to announce the candidates for  Noelani.  The excitement was palpable as the first boy stepped forward.

“Noona, my name is Dongho.  If you choose me for your dongsaeng, I will make every day magical.”  He reached behind Noelani’s ear to pull out a rose.  The girls in the cafeteria screamed, amazed and jealous.  As Noelani held the rose, he serenaded her, then bowed.

The twins Kwangmin and Youngmin stepped forward.  “Would you be my girlfriend?” they asked in unison, then sang a duet and danced.  Their aegyo was overpowering and as Noelani sat watching them, she couldn’t help but do the dance with them.  She beamed when they finished and stood, clapping enthusiastically.  “Please choose us, Noona.”

“Last, but not least,” Seop said, “Niel.” 

“Hello, Noona.  I’m Niel.  I couldn’t find a proper gift to offer you so I decided to give you. . .” he paused for effect, “. . .myself.”  Suddenly there were five boys behind him, four of which were L.Joe, Changjo, Chunji, and C.A.P.  “I asked my friends to help me present this gift to you.  This song is called “Crazy.””  The boys started singing and dancing and Noelani was transfixed.  She couldn’t take her eyes off of Niel.  When they got to the chorus, the boys hooked their thumb in the top of their pants, rotating their hips. 

“I’ve seen enough,” Noelani said, stopping the boys’ performance.  Her cheeks were slightly pink as she beckoned Kiseop to her side. 

“The decision has been made.  Noelani’s dongsaeng, and the prince of her fan club this year, is. . . Niel!”

The shock that had been on Niel’s face when his performance had been cut short was replaced with joy as he jumped up and down.  He rushed forward and knelt at Noelani’s feet.  “I will do my best to be a good prince to you, my princess.” 

“My prince doesn’t kneel.”  Niel looked up, confused.  Noelani pointed to her cheek and Niel scrambled to his feet, eager to oblige.  Just as Niel was leaning in to kiss her cheek, the crowd began to part and girls sighed.  Beside her, Seol and Yatsumi’s mouths hung open.  She knew this reaction all too well and quickly changed gears.  She leaned to the side to avoid his kiss and gave him a quick, sisterly hug.  “There now.  I’m sure we’ll get along well this year.”  She stood and waved enthusiastically at the man causing the commotion.

“Noelani,” Siwon said, kissing her gently on the lips in greeting.  “Holding court as usual, I see.”  He looked at Niel who was standing awkwardly to the side.  “Are you the lucky guy this year?”  Niel nodded.  Siwon held out his hand to shake, which Niel did, still awkwardly.  “Take good care of her.”

“I will.”

Noelani took Siwon’s hand and led him to her friends.  Her friends, whose mouths still hung open.  “Yahtzee, Seol,” she said loudly, snapping them out of their trance. 

“Oppa!” Yatsumi shouted in greeting and Siwon patted her on the head.  “We’ve missed you!”  She pouted.

“I’ve missed you, too.”  He turned to see Seol and his eyes widened.  He lifted her chin with his index finger.  “Seol?  I hardly recognize you.”

“Hello, Oppa,” she said quietly and blushed.  Noelani tugged on Siwon’s sleeve to get his attention.  Seol turned to look at Yatsumi who sat fanning herself.  Seol nodded in understanding and mouthed the words “he touched me” and pretended to faint.  They both giggled, then put on mature faces as the couple looked back at them.

Noelani gave them the “I know you were doing something behind my back” look. “Siwon is going to have lunch with us today.  Is that alright?”

The two friends nodded mutely, obviously more than ok with this turn of events.  They were practically drooling.  Noelani rolled her eyes.  These two are so embarrassing.