Chapter 3

He's An Angel! Psh~ More Like The Devil!

Listen to Scent of a Flower

"What made you decide to go get my brother? How would you even know which place he is at?" Dongwoon said as he scurried next to you.

"Well, since he has family now, he has the right to stay with him. And there is only ONE adoption center here, so he must be here!" You said proudly.

Eunmi followed silently as she listened to the two of you "discuse adult matters".

After walking a few more steps, the trio ended up at a run down building.

"This is it?" Dongwoon said as he scanned the place.

"Unnie.... Why are we here?" Eunmi looked up at you with concerned eyes. You stood your ground and dragged the two into the building.

"Welcome to the National Seoul Adoption Center! How may I help you?" the front desk greeted.

"Hello, I'm here to check up on a kid name...." you paused for a bit because you still didn't know what Dongwoon's brother's name was.

"Son Dongha." Dongwoon added.

The women went to her computer and rapidly typed before giving you a huge smile. "He's in this room. Come this way." She led you and Dongwoon to the room while Eunmi went to go play with the other children.

"Is this him?" you asked Dongwoon. He didn't answer right away and then you notice little tears falling from his eyes. You gave him a nudge before he nodded slightly. The women noticed you two having a moment so she left you guys to have time to yourself.

Dongwoon slowly walked over to Dongha's bed and knelt down so he was eye level. He started his cheek and then Dongha's eyes fluttered open.

"Dongwoon hyung?" He started wiggling in his bed. "Is this a dream again?" he mumbled.

"No it's not, Dongha-ah. It's really me." Dongwoon answered.

Dongha reached his hand out to touch Dongwoon's cheek before sitting up in his bed and giving Dongwoon a tight hug.

You stood near the door way watching the happy reunion. Though there wasn't much words being exchange, the action's that were given could tell a lot.

You walked out to the main lobby to meet up with Eunmi and the rest of the children. They were all familiar with you because you were a familiar volunteer/visitor.

“Will you two be adopting one of the children here today?” The worker asked as she went behind _____.

“Yeah, I’ll go with you to fill out the papers.” _______ answered, following the lady and giving the Sons with a little alone time.

“Is Dongha related to the guy?” The worker asked as she gathered the papers that needed to be signed.

“Yeah, that’s his older brother Dongwoon. Their parents passed away a while back and Dongwoon finally recovered from the shock. Has Dongha been okay here?” She started signing the necessary papers.

“Dongha is a good kid. He is a little distant and shy, but he is very obedient. I can tell he misses his family. Every night, he would have dreams and wake up in tears. Poor kid. It’s great that he has his brother now.” She smiled and put the papers in a file. “Are you his brother’s girlfriend?”

_____ shook her head quickly. “Oh no! We’re just friends! Yeah, friends!!”

The lady eyed her suspiciously before continuing on her computer.

“What’s going on in here?” Dongwoon asked as he walked up behind ______ with Dongha hand-in-hand. You could tell from Dongha’s face that he was relieved to be leaving with his own blood.

“We’re just about done here! All I need you guys to do is sign here and here and you are good to go!” She handed the two a piece of paper and Dongwoon read through it.

“Why does is say “husband” and “wife” under the signature lines?” He gave the paper to _____ who also read through it.

“You two do know that only couples are allowed to adopt, right?” The worker said.

“But he’s my brother! And does it look like I’m married?” Dongwoon started flailing his ringless left hand.

“Rules are rules…”

________ sighed and took the paper back from Dongwoon and scribbled on it and handed back to Dongwoon with pen in hand.

“Sign it.” She said as she nudged the pen towards him.

“B-but.” He took the paper and quickly signed it.

The trio went to retrieve Eunmi and made their way out of the building. Dongwoon holding onto Dongha’s hand and _______ carrying Eunmi who had fallen asleep from her play date with the foster children.

“Do you think they’ll buy us being a married couple? We don’t have any rings or documents…” Dongwoon asked.

“I guess we’ll get to that part when the time comes. But for now, let’s get something to eat and then head back to my place!” They all headed to a corner store and made their ways to the ramen section.

_____ picked out the Shin Ramen for herself and Rabukki for Eunmi. Dongwoon got himself a drink instead and grabbed Dongha a bowl of Mac N’ Cheese. After buying the items, they headed to the apartment.

“Are you sure this is where you live? It’s a little…. Beat up.” Dongwoon said as he eyed the run down building. You could hear drunks mumbling and swaying down the streets. People were yelling at each other from across the building and overall, the place was a mess.

“It’s the best a college kid can do with the paycheck I make. C’mon, I promise the inside is a lot homier than the outside!” She adjusted Eunmi on her hip and made her way up to the 4th floor. _____ stepped in first and Dongwoon followed behind her.

“You can go take a bath first while I prepare the dinner for the kids, okay? Bathroom is on the left.”

Dongwoon nodded and made his way to the bathroom, leaving Dongha with Eunmi and ______. Dongha walked up to _______ and gently pulled on the apron to get her attention.

“Yes sweetie?” She bent down to meet Dongha eye level.

“Are you my brother’s wife? You look a little young to be married…” He asked avoiding eye contact.

“I’m not, just a friend of his. Do you want any kimchi with your Mac N’ Cheese by the way?” He nodded quickly, making ______ giggle from the cuteness. “Can you wake Eunmi up while I set the table?”

Dongha smiled and made his way to the sleeping Eunmi on the couch. He gently tapped her shoulders and she woke up instantly. “Who are you?”

“I’m Son Dongha! Noona said to wake you up to eat dinner.” He said shyly. Eunmi got up and Dongha followed behind. Just as they settled in their seats, Dongwoon came out fresh from the bath.

“You’re going to rewear that?”______ asked trying to hold in her laugh. Dongwoon looked at her with a confused face. She went up to him and dragged him to her room.

“Here wear this while I wash your clothes for tomorrow.” She handed him a t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts.

“Why do you have men’s clothes here?” Dongwoon said as he started to take his shirt off. Just then ______ turned around and shrieked and hid her face.

“Please go change in the bathroom, you little ert!” She pushed him aside and left towards the kitchen with her face still buried in her hands. Dongwoon gave a short laugh before he finished changing.

The others were already settled and digging into their dinner. Dongwoon sat himself down between Dongha and ______.

“I don’t think Dongha got the chance to meet Eunmi yet. Why don’t you introduce yourself?” ______ suggested.

Eunmi gave him her biggest smile before starting. “Hello! My name is Kwon Eunmi. I am 6 years old and ______ is my lovely unnie! I like to eat, go to school, Hello Kitty and dance! Nice to meet you!”

Dongha was hesitant but with Dongwoon’s encouragement, he began his introduction. “I’m Son Dongha. I am 5 years old and Dongwoon is my hyung. I like to play sports, cars, and playing outside.”

“You like to play outside too?! Can we play at the park tomorrow then?! It’s been a while since I had anyone to play with! _____ unnie too fat the fit through the slide-“

“We’ll go tomorrow!” _____ said as she clasped her hand around Eunmi’s mouth causing the boys to break out to a laugh.

After dinner, the four of them gathered around the tv for a while to tire themselves out before heading to bed.

“You guys can take the bed while me and Eunmi take the couches” _____ said as she gathered pillows and blankets. “What? No! We’ll take the couch.” Dongwoon quickly took the blankets from her.

“No! You guys are our guests! It’s not like the couch is all that bad anyway.” _____ took the blankets from Dongwoon again.

The two kids laughed as they looked on their siblings fight for where they will be sleeping.

“Can we camp out in the living room like we usually do during New Years?” Eunmi suggested.

______ looked at Dongwoon and both finally agreed to that arrangement.

Everyone helped with building the make-shift tent in the living room. _____ went to turn off the lights and laid next to Eunmi and snuggling with the body pillow she had. (The arrangement was Eunmi, ____, Dongwoon, Dongha)

In the middle of the night, the body pillow blockade somehow made its way to Eunmi. Dongwoon felt a warm body snuggling up to his and slowly opened his eyes to a sleeping _______. He smiled and snuggled himself closer to her and falling back to sleep.