chapter o7

Afflicted

Ryeowook was aware of one thing on the way to the hospital... well, two if he counted the fact he was extremely aware of the fact Yesung had not released his hand since he pulled Ryeowook out of the apartment.  The other, the thing that burned quietly in the back of Ryeowook's mind, was that Eeteuk would live.  It wasn't guaranteed, but this was something Ryeowook was sure of.  And Yesung would be the one to save him.  Yesung... Ryeowook glanced at the ampire in the dim light of the cab.  He was restless, the fingers of his free hand drumming impatiently against his leg.  His other hand tightened around Ryeowook's.  What did this make them, then?  A couple like Zhou Mi or Kyuhyun?  Or a strange mixture of love and friendship- like Hankyung and Heechul?  He shivered against the prospect of the later, and, almost like it was an unconscious movement, Yesungs hand left Ryeowok's hand to touch his face.  Ryeowook sighed- he had been enjoying that gentle connection between their hands; Yesung's fingers against his face was a little too intimate for the moment.  The fingers trailed lower doewn his cheek, brushing gently along Ryeowook's jaw to rest at his chin.  The finger's slowly tilted Ryeowook's face towards Yesung's, and their lips met.

The thoughts that were clouding Ryeowook's mind instantly vaporized, leaving his mind numb and rather incoherent.  He tried to say something, but whatever it was came out a mumble of nonsense that slwoly faded into a soft moan.  It was a sweet kiss, not demanding or needy, but even so Ryeowook found himself returning ti with more passion than what was being dealt to him.  His cheeks felt warm, even to him, and he knew he was blushing.  He whined only slightly when Yesung took his bottom lip between his teeth, didn't even flinch when he felt a piercing pain run through his gum.  His own hands hesitated, fingers gently clasping the hem of Yesung's shirt while the vampire slipped his hands under Ryeowook's shirt to trace gentle patterns on his back, fingers cool against Ryeowook's flushed skin.  He was faintly aware that the world around them rolled to a stop.

The cab driver cleared his throat, and Ryeowook quickly shoved Yesung away.  The vampire's hands fell to his hips, making him stammer and blush harder.  

"Open the door," Yesung murmured, and Ryeowook obeyed.

He caught a glance as Yesung handed the cab driver much more than what was owed.  He frowned when Yesung muttered something about being an inconvenience, but got out of the cab without a word.

The hospital in front of him suddenly seemed too real- too big to be standing in front of him.  Ryeowook stared up, squinting to see the top of the building.  He swallowed the lump in his throat.  What if it didn't work?  What if whatever Yesung had planned didn't work and Eeteuk died?  He whimpered.  He could feel his bottom lip shaking, could almost hear the tears in his eyes gathering and getting ready to escape.

"Ryeowook, I promise I'll save him," Yesung said, close to Ryeowook's ear.

He didn't bother looking at the vampire, instead just let him lead the way into the suffocating hell in front of him.  It was very quiet hospital- patients were sleeping and on duty nurses dozed with their pagers.  It seemed so unreal that he had been there that morning, but the bracelet on his wrist was a shocking reminder.  Ryeowook scratched at it absently, vaguely wondering how he had managed to forget to remove it.

Without even realize it he was standing in front of Eeteuk's room.  Kangin was awake and looking very moody, eyes half-closed in a sort of tired glare.  On the white bed...
Eeteuk seemed so peaceful.  He did look like the heaven sent angel he claimed to be.  His dyed golden hair was a halo around his head, the white s his robe.  He had no wings.

"No, look."

Ryeowook glanced at Yesung, not knowing he had spoken out loud, but he looked.  Almost invisible against the white sheets were two feathering wings.

"But-"

"Because he sacrificed himself.  Like Zhou Mi.  But Eeteuk-sshi won't be a ghost, he'll be an angel," Yesung explained, voice soft.

Eeteuk seemed to shift slightly, making the feathers of the wings move with him.  Kangin looked much more alive now, but when nothing else happened that faded.  Ryeowook felt a nasty tug of guilt in his stomach, and he looked at the number. Ooooo18ooo.  He wouldn't live past noon the next day.  Ryeowook Yesung, grabbing his shirt.  He felt mad, and he needed to let it out.

"Cure him!" he screamed to the vampire.  "Cure my hyung!  I don't care what it takes, just cure him!  I want him to live, even if I can't!"

Yesung grinned.  It was a slow smile, one that made his fangs even more menacing.  It was almost cruel, too, like Yesung was about to attack... or worse.

"Kill yourself."

The vampire's words came out cautious, betraying the cold look on his face.  Ryeowook dropped his hands, feeling numb.  Kill himself?  He glared at Yesung, and the smile turned apologetic.  

"How?  Why?  What have I done to deserve that?"

"Only complete selflessness can save him," Yesung explained.  "You just said you'd rather die than see him dead, so do it.  He's already an angel.  He's already afflicted.  He'll wake up when you die.  He will be able to live if you die."

"And you?  What about you..." Ryeowook paused, unsure of what his next words would do.  "What about us?"

"Save him."

Ryeowook sighed and looked back at Eeteuk.  For this man... for his close friend who was a father and mother rolled into one...

"How do I do it?"

Yesung stepped up to him and wrapped his arms around him.  Ryeowook shivered, not sure what this had anything to do with saving Eeteuk.  Or maybe Yesung was just saying good-bye.

"Ah..."

Yesung's cool lips were against his throat, pressing gently agaisnt the skin.  Ryeowook wound his arms around Yesung's waist, leaning against him.

"Ryeowook-ah..."

Then, Yesung bit him.

The world spun and crashed around.  He could see Zhou Mi, standing behind Yesung with a shocked expression on his face.  He wondered how he got there, why he suddenly appeared with no stone in his hand, but the world faded before he could ask.



"No..." Zhou Mi was saying.  "No, it's rue.  Yes, Kui Xian, I'm real..."

The sounds of a happy reunion faded away.

The next sounds were soft, like clothe against floor: socked feet sliding across the wooden floor of the apartment.

"Yesung-ah, you should tell Henry what's going on before..."

Ryeowook didn't get to hear what Sungmin was saying- it just faded into nothing again.

"He'll wake up," Yesung's voice sounded so sure, but even then there was a tiredness to his tone.

"We know, we know," Donghae replied.

Nothing again.  Silence always found him, and he couldn't help but see Henry's face flash in the darkness that consumed him.  Briefly that face became Yesung's, but then the darkness once again took everything.

He ahd to wonder... was this death?  Was that all it was  Hearing and seeing the people you loved most, like a sort of teasing dream?  His heart hurt for those people, but Ryeowook couldn't tell if the hurt was a memory or the weight of the ground he was surely under.

High-pitched laughter.

"Eeteuk."

That sounded like his own voice, but he wasn't so sure.

"See, look.  Amber and Henry are dating now!" Zhou Mi explained, like he was trying to cure Ryeowook's curiousity.

"Wait! Zhou Mi, he said 'Eeteuk'!" Kyuhyun shouted.

"I know wh- Kui Xian, he said something?"

"Yes," Ryeowook answered, could feel himself smiling,and then he sighed.  "So cruel... God, why are you so mean to me?"

Eeteuk laughed again, and this time Ryeowook could see him.

"Please God..."

"He thinks he's dead!" Eeteuk screeched, still roaring with laughter. "Someone wake Yesung-ah, he can't miss this."

"No, please no!" Ryeowook begged, but someone was kissing him. "No, no, no, no!"

"Wook-ah~" Zhou Mi's voice was near, had a sing-song quality to it.

"You're alive, dammit!" Yesung growled, voice very, very close... coming from the lips that trailed across his cheek.

"Alive?"

"Do you honestly think I'd let you risk your life if I thought I couldn't save you?" Yesung questioned, chuckling.

"I'm alive?"

"Yes."

"And Eeteuk?"

"See for yourself," Eeteuk said, and Ryeowook glanced at him.

Relief flooded him.  He glanced above Eeteuk's head... and saw nothing.  He turned his eyes to Kyuhyun, and again saw nothing.

"There are no numbers...." he muttered.

"That's the point," Yesung replied.

"Really?"

Yesung smiled... the curse was gone.

 

 


IT'S FINALLY ALL POSTED!

ahaha sorry for taking so long. computer issues, life issues, family stuff. augh. it's a lot to live through, and then to be able to finally complete this... it makes all that worth living through.

thank you for reading, and please look forward to my next Chaptered Fic featuring the Hanchul couple! :D