chapter o4

Afflicted

Ryeowook sat back down at the table in a daze, not seeing anything than Yesung's smirk in his mind. He was vaguely aware of his questioning friends around him, not even complaining when he was told he had to pay the bill. So, because of that, Zhou Mi ended up paying and Ryeowook had to be hauled off by Sungmin with Shindong's help since Siwon all but disappeared the moment they left the dimly lit café. He remained nearly unmoving as the group headed home, only shuffling his feet to keep going forward. When they finally reached the door to the flat Ryewoook was nothing but a dead weight, even when Kyuhyun rudely shoved his hands in Ryeowook's pockets to get the keys.



"What happened to him?" someone scoffed when the door swung open.



Ryeowook blinked at the voice, coming out of his trance immediately. Heechul was on the couch with a magazine in his lap. His skin seemed darker than normal, and his dull black hair hung limply near his ears. His pale brown eyes held a guarded look.



"It's been a while since I saw you like that, Heechul-ah," Ryeowook commented, smiling.


"Aish this rascal…" Heechul replied. "He's so smug."



"It's just been a while since I've seen you like this. What happened?"

"I think I asked you first."



"Zhou Mi says he asked out that vampire," Sungmin said, his outline barely visible.



Siwon quickly dragged him off down the hall and Zhou Mi was quick to follow with Kyuhyun. Sungmin pulled his eyebrows together, wondering why they were off in such a hurry. Then he saw Henry standing by the balcony door, a wounded expression on his face. Heechul snorted from the couch, turned the page of his magazine, and fell silent.



"The vampire?" Henry asked, voice cracking. "Rui asked him out?"



"Ya! Isn't our Ryeowook-ah great?" Shindong said from the door. "He's finally found someone!"



Ryeowook sent him a pleading look, and Shindong walked away towards the kitchen, complaining he was hungry from carrying Ryeowook back home. Heechul's gaze followed him then turned to Henry before his eyes finally drifted back down to the magazine. The room was quiet then, the only sound coming from the still open balcony door behind Henry.



"It didn't happen exactly like that, though," Ryeowook mumbled, looking at the floor as if it could come up with a perfect explanation for all of this.



"So you didn't ask him out?" Henry asked, and Ryeowook looked up to see his face relax.



"Ah, well, no…"

"So you did…"

"I'm sorry," Ryeowook told Henry. "It just happened, and he kissed me, so I couldn't say no, he just walked away."

"He. Kissed. You." The worlds came out detached.



"Yeah, on the cheek, but…"

"You let him kiss you?! What if he bit you! Rui, what's wrong with you!"



"Ya, stop yelling, you'll give me a headache," Heechul snapped from the couch, glaring at Henry. "If you want to have a lovers spat then go outside and shut the door. Maybe fall off the balcony for all I care."

Heechul's words seemed final, so Ryeowook quietly went down the hall, hoping that the lack of sound behind him was Henry staying in the living room instead of following him. He was relieved to find out that Henry wasn't following him once he reached their room, so he went in and collapsed on his bed, sighing.



"He took it better than I thought," Zhou Mi's voice said from the window.



Ryeowook jumped, falling to the floor and wincing when his ankle twisted painfully under him. He looked towards the window, and saw just that- the window. He scowled, pushing himself onto his bed and holding his ankle.



"Can you stop doing that?" Ryeowook grumbled, wincing when he pressed his fingers against his ankle.



It was swelling already, but he put it down gently and looked towards the window.



"Bad mood? What for, you have a date with a cute guy tomorrow morning."

"Exactly."



"Nervous?" Zhou Mi teased, suddenly coming into view.

He wasn't by the window, but instead standing close enough to Ryeowook that Ryeowook had to look up in order to see his face clearly. He leaned forward, and Ryeowook leaned back, falling back onto the bed.

"Zhou Mi…?"



The ghost smirked, reaching out his hand. It went right through Ryeowook's forehead.



"What are you doing…?"



Zhou Mi didn't answer, instead his face screwed up, making him look like he was in deep thought, or maybe he was concentrating so hard. Suddenly his head started hurting, as if someone was pressing their hands against his brain.



"Zhou Mi, stop," Ryeowook said, trying to push at Zhou Mi, his hands only going through the man above him.



He hand was gone almost as fast as it had went into his head, and Zhou Mi was grinning from across the room. Ryeowook struggled to sit up, giving up when he realized he was too exhausted to even try. He watched Zhou Mi walk to the door, disappearing down the hall towards Kyuhyun's room. He winced when he heard his voice from down the hall.

"I'm sorry Henry, but Rui is in love with Yesung-sshi."

---

It was still dark in the room when Ryeowook opened his eyes. He didn't remember falling asleep, but then he couldn't remember much after Zhou Mi released him from that... invasion of privacy. Thinking about it suddenly made his head hurt, so he shut his eyes. He was thankful the room was silent. Perhaps maybe a bit too silent. Ryeowook opened his eyes and looked to Henry's bed. It had remained unchanged since Zhou Mi had been in the room. He pulled himself up, holding his head when the room started spinning.

"Does your head hurt?"

The voice startled Ryeowook to the point where he threw his hand out to connect with the source. The person he hit yelped out in pain, and when Ryeowook's eyes adjusted he could see Henry sitting on the floor next to his bed, rubbing his forehead.

"Henry... About earlier..."

"No, Rui, it's fine," Henry told him quickly, standing up and brushing off his dark jeans. "Zhou Mi said he went into your head so there's no changing your mind, right? Anyway, I met up with Amber-"

Ryeowook stopped Henry midrant by pressing his hand to his open mouth. He could feel Henry's lips press together in a thin line against his palm, so he pulled his hand away. Henry stared at him for a moment then shuffled forward. Ryeowook tried to back away but Henry put a hand behidn his head and held him there.

"What-" Ryeowook was silenced with a kiss.

Henry's mouth muffled Ryeowook's surprised yelp, or maybe it had been Henry's power at work. Either way, Ryeowook didn't have much time to think about it since Henry pushed his back up against the wall and was savagely exploring Ryeowook's mouth with his tongue. Ryeowook felt helpless and confused, trying desperately to raise his shaking hands to push Henry away. He was unsure if the younger male would even stop, or if somehow Henry planned on taking him then.

Relief came from a loud knock on the door, forcing Henry to his feet and towards the door. Ryeowook watched him, afraid to move from his bed. When Henry opened the door Kyuhyun was there grinning. Ryeowook noticed Henry tilt his head slightly.

"It's eight," he announced. "Ryeowook needs to shower and get ready if he wants to be ready on time."

"Fine," Henry said, pushing past Kyuhyun to head down the hall.

"What happened?" Kyuhyun wondered, leaning against the door frame. "He said he was cool with this."

"Uh..."

"Hey, just tell Zhou Mi if he tries something," Kyuhyun told him, tone serious. "Henry's been acting crazy to us all, so it's our business now, too."

Ryeowook nodded, standing from his bed slowly. He saw Kyuhyun throw something, and suddenly Zhou Mi was next to Ryeowook, catching him as he swayed. When Ryeowook looked at Zhou Mi's face, the ghost was looking out the door. Ryeowook sighed, pushing away from Zhou Mi to stumble out of his room and across the hall.

"I'll be out in ten minutes," he announced, shutting the door behind him.