Rain rain, go away

Almost Perfect

   Ahh. VanCity, home of rain, rain, and more rain. ______ hit the power button on the remote, making the weather man’s monotone drone disappear.

                 Nestling into her soft sofa cushions, she lay down and shut her eyes. It was Saturday morning, a day after Friday, on which she had FINALLY completed her finals. The endless cramming and coffee rituals had been getting to her head, and she needed a break. However, the weather outside hadn’t exactly complying with her beach plans. The continuous slap slap slap of water against her windowpane seemed to scream “_____! I’m here to stay!” 

            It was at that moment that her phone rang, shrill and to the point. Sighing, ____ hoisted herself up from her sofa and answered.

             “Hello?”

              “_____! Oh hey!” It was _____’s long time friend, Liz. Liz worked as a  barista at a small coffee house downtown, and often called _____ to come down and entertain her when she was on break or business was slow.

                        “Liz, hi! So what’s up?” She sat back down on the sofa, the phone nestled between her ear and shoulder.

                        “Well, Marie called in sick today, and we’re extremely desperate for someone to come and fill in for her, as none of our established employees will bother to answer their phones. The new manager, Janice, said as long as I can find someone who even vaguely knows how to work the till for a couple of hours, I’ll get double pay, and so will the replacement.”

                        _____ let this all sink in, and happened to look out the window at the wet mess trying to enter her living room. Biting her lower lip, ____ contemplated her options. She seriously did not want to go out there, but however, she needed the money. She had been accepted into various colleges for next year, but living in a slightly below middle class family, neither her parents nor her could afford to pay for the hefty fees that came with refined education.

            Groaning, she hurriedly told Liz she would be there soon, and hung up. _____ figured that if she left now, she could make it there before the weather worsened.

            After getting changed, ____ opened up the front door and started walking towards the bus stop. The rain had quieted and was no longer coming down, but she was sure it would act up again soon. As she walked, her umbrella over her head, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was missing something important, but after walking three blocks, she figured that all she needed was an umbrella.

            When she reached the bus stop, the rain was started to come down harder.

Suddenly, splash! Out of the blue, ____ was soaked from head to toe, the water seeping into her denim jeans, making her shiver. She looked up and noticed a huge, gaping hole in the middle of her umbrella.

            “!” _______ cried. A businessman near her looked up, startled. She figured her hair must look pretty damn amazing now.

            _____ repositioned the umbrella, a poor attempt to keep from getting even more soaked.

            While she was fidgeting, the bus happened to pull up beside the curb. ____ stopped trying to fix the stupid umbrella and folded it in. The doors opened, and the businessman cut in front of her and stepped on the bus.

            “Rude bastard…” she muttered under her breath. She then reached into her pocket to grab her $1.75---wait…what the eff?

            Her fingers grazed something…she pulled it out, and nothing but a bobby pin! That’s when she realized she had forgotten her bus money. The bus driver shook his head at her, and said in a bored-like tone, “I’m sorry Miss, but no ticket money, no ride.”

            Ugh. To _____, the driver didn’t sound sorry at all.

She stepped off the bus, mentally beating herself up for being stupid enough to forget bus money. Great. Now I have to walk 18 blocks, and I’m late.

            She started walking, dragging her torn umbrella behind her, the rain enveloping her.

            At that moment was when a pickup truck just had to drive by, its tires splashing water from the road to all over ______.

            “AAAAARG!” _____ looked up into the sky and yelled. “AAARG ARRG ARRG. DAMN YOU MOTHER NATURE!”

            She kicked the telephone pole next her, which wasn’t too good of a choice, as it made the tips of her feet ache.

            “Good job, ____, how the hell am I supposed to walk 18 blocks now?” _____ felt like tearing her hair out.

            She glanced at her watch. 11:17. Liz had called at 10:40. Great. Just great. ____ was many things, and being punctual was one of them.

            With that thought, she took off running, her worn sneakers hitting the slippery pavement.

            C’mon, _____, someone’s chasing you, okay? Just think that. Keep sprinting.

 After nine blocks, her breath was shaky and her chest felt like combusting, not to mention her feet were on the verge of breaking. Feeling disoriented, she leaned against a newspaper box, taking deep breaths to regain her sense of life again.

            After this, she started again. 20 minutes later, a soaking, freezing, and very cranky ____ showed up at the entrance of Bring the Bean Coffee Co. She pushed open the door and accidentally walked straight into someone.

            “Oh! I’m so sorry!” She looked up to see a young man standing before her, and had to restrain her jaw from dropping to the floor. The boy had smooth, milky skin and short, blond hair. He was quite skinny, and almost freakishly tall. His collarbone was something worthy of a museum, and his black v-neck tee boasted that. However, the feature that pulled ____ in the most was his eyes. Calm and brown, almost black, they seemed cold yet welcoming at the same time, and held an intense gaze, which gave ____ goose bumps. Immediately, _____ felt all the cold from outside leave her. Just this boy’s stare alone could melt her. Not to mention his y, deep voice seemed so sincere when he apologized.

            “D-don’t worry,” she said, and the boy smiled gently. Butterflies seemed to have conquered _____’s stomach.

            “_______! WHAT THE HELL.” Liz’s shrill voice brought her back to reality. With that, the boy smiled and excused himself, walking away. Away. Towards the door. Never to be seen again.

           

 

         A/N: THIS . Ugh. I have massive writer's block today, but hopefully the next chapter will be a lot better, cause this one was rather forced. Grrr I feel like tearing out my hair like the OC. >< btw, should I give the main character a name? XD the lines are kinda awkward...