Chapter 1

Watch Out, Man

 

Once he walked through the door, I knew it had been a tough day for him. Without any greeting, I walked into my kitchen and grabbed a pack of cigarettes from on top of the fridge. I kept them there for Heecheol only to be used in times like these. I handed them to him and he kissed my cheek. We sat down at the kitchen table and he lit up a cigarette. I didn’t say anything because I knew he would talk when he was ready.

After taking a few drags, he let out a huge sigh. “How has your day been so far?”

I smiled softly at him.  “It’s been good so far. I got good marks on my exams that I took last week and I received little homework today.”

He forced a small smile for me. ‘That’s great. Good job.”

I placed my hand on top of his and rubbed my thumb on the back of it lovingly.  “What about you?”

He put out his cigarette and ran his free hand through his hair. “Hyungsik and Minwoo weren’t cooperating at all today during practice. They were goofing off and messing everyone up and of course Junyoung did nothing about it. So of course I’m the and when I tell them to do it right and everyone gets y at me.”

“Well, when’s the performance?” I asked.

He scoffed, “It shouldn’t matter when the performance is! What should matter is getting the dance down.” I nodded. “We’ve worked too hard to start slacking off now.”

I let go off his hand and walked over and sat on his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck. “You guys will do just fine like you always do. Tomorrow’s practice will be better.” I felt his arms securely wrap around my waist. “Heecheol, can I go to practice with you tomorrow?”

Heecheol raised an eyebrow. “Don’t you have class tomorrow?”

I frowned. “Yeah, but I meant like after class.”

“I don’t know. I’m not sure if manager will let you watch.”

“I won’t be a distraction. Please Heecheol oppa?” I pouted and began playing with his hair. I could see he was fighting a smile.

“I don’t want you getting into trouble too.” He said, looking towards the window.

“I won’t get into trouble.” I chuckled. “The guys love me.”

Heecheol couldn’t hold his straight expression any longer. “Oh? So the other members love you too? I didn’t know I had competition.”

I laughed. “Heecheol, you don’t have any competition.”

“I knew you and Taehun were too close.” He chuckled. “So are you using me to get to him?”

My jaw dropped and I playfully hit his arm. “Don’t even kid about that.”

“But you know I’m kidding.” He murmured as he nuzzled my neck. I smiled and tilted my head slightly. “Let’s watch a movie or something.”

I got off his lap. “Okay, what movie?”

“You pick.”

I walked into the living room and scanned the row of DVDs I had arranged on top of the TV. Heecheol walked in and sat down on the couch. I didn’t really care what movie we watched because I wasn’t really up for watching a movie anyways. I was just doing this in hopes of raising Heecheol’s spirits. In the end, I grabbed a random DVD box, placed the DVD into the player, and pushed play.

“What did you choose?” Heecheol asked me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulling me close to him.

“Uhhh….” The main menu screen showed up on TV to show the K-Drama Heartstrings. I chuckled.

“You’re making me watch Heartstrings again?” He groaned.

“You liked it, don’t lie.” I clicked play and lay my left arm across Heecheol’s waist.

We watched the drama in silence, enjoying each other’s company. About half way through the first episode, I felt myself nodding off. I hadn’t felt tired before Heecheol showed up, but I didn’t oppose to the idea of taking a nap on his shoulder. Heecheol noticed I was falling asleep and repositioned himself so that we were both laying on the couch, him on his back and me on top of him.

We must have both fallen asleep because next thing I knew it was dark outside and the main menu for Heartstrings was on. I searched for my phone and checked the time. It was after ten o’clock.

“Oppa.” I whispered. “Oppa.” I ran a hand along Heecheol’s face. “Wake up.”

Heecheol took in a deep breath and groaned. “Wae?”

“It’s after ten.” I told him. “Shouldn’t you be going back to the dorm?”

Heecheol wrapped his arms around me, holding me to him. “Why would I go to the dorm when I’m already comfortable here?”

I smiled. “But won’t you get in trouble?” Heecheol thought for a moment and shrugged. “At least call manager and tell him you’re not going back tonight.” Heecheol rolled his eyes and smirked as he pulled out his phone.

“Annyeonghaseyo manager.” Heecheol caressed my cheek as he spoke. “I’m not returning to the dorm tonight.” He chuckled.  “No, no, no. Just went over to Soonbok’s to calm down, and I don’t feel comfortable leaving her here alone, you know?” Heecheol smiled and looked me in the eyes. “Yeah I think so.” He held the gaze. “Thank you manager.  See you tomorrow.”

I got to my feet and stretched. “So I don’t plan on sleeping out here.”

“Aw, but we were so comfy.”

I shrugged and headed towards my bedroom. I closed the door slightly so I could change into my pajamas. I tossed my clothes into my hamper, pulled back the sheets, and crawled into bed. I could hear the floor creak as Heecheol moved from the couch to my room. I had my back to the door so it would appear that I had already fallen asleep.

I heard the door creak open and back closed, which was followed by the rustling of Heecheol taking off his jeans and socks. He pulled back the sheets slowly and climbed into bed next to me.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and kissed my neck. “You awake?”

“Why?”

Heecheol began to play with my hair. “I can’t sleep.”

I sighed and rolled over to face him. “Want me to tell you a bedtime story?” He nodded. I thought for a moment. “Once upon a time, there was a prince.”

“Is the prince me?” Heecheol asked, pulling me closer to him.

“I’m not telling.” I told him. “Anyways, one day the prince was walking through town in disguise so none of the civilians would recognize him. He saw a small vegetable stand and decided to check it out. Working there was a shy, beautiful maiden. He was taken by her beauty. He had to have her. But then he remembered he was in disguise. The maiden asked ‘can I help you sir?’ he was lost for words. Even her voice was beautiful. The prince knew he had to say something, so he said the first thing that came to mind, ‘You really break the hearts of two.’ The prince couldn’t believe what he had just said.”

Heecheol laughed. “Can I tell the story now?”

“But it’s my story.” I pouted.

“Please?” I nodded and snuggled close to Heecheol. “The young maiden then knew right away that she was talking to the prince, but she didn’t let him know and continued to treat him like any other civilians. The prince decided to go back there every day just to try and see the beautiful maiden. With each visit he felt more and more at ease when he would talk to her. Finally, one day during the middle of their conversation, he decided to take a risk. ‘Would you like to go out to dinner tonight?’ he asked. The maiden looked frightened at first. The prince feared that she would turn him away, but she then nodded.  He was so happy he told the maiden to meet him at the stand later and he would pick her up. The prince planned on revealing himself to her. He would arrive with his best carriage and treat the maiden to the best dinner she had ever experienced. The prince showed up in his best and waited patiently for the maiden. She appeared dressed in a gorgeous gown that cause the prince to lose his breath. She looked amazing.”

“Did she really?” I teased.

Heecheol chuckled. “Yes, really.”

“So let me guess, they clicked and have been seeing each other ever since?”

Heecheol placed a finger under my chin and tilted it up so I was looking deeply into his eyes. “Yes, you’re correct and for that you get a reward.” He placed a soft, romantic kiss on my lips.

I pressed my lips back onto his and grabbed his shirt, as an attempt to pull him even closer if possible. Heecheol placed one hand on the small of my back as if to hold me in place. Even though it only felt as if only minutes had passed, by the end of our make-out session it was going on eleven o’clock.

I rolled over so my back was to Heecheol. “Okay, we have to go to sleep. I have class in the morning and you have practice.”

Heecheol sighed and put his arm across my waist like he had before. “If we have to.”

I could feel Heecheol’s breathing even out so I figured he had fallen asleep already. However, I was wide awake. I let out a sigh and I laced my fingers with Heecheol’s. His hand tightened when I held onto his hand. I wasn’t sure if he was asleep now.

I waited a moment before I whispered, “Heecheol?”

“Yeah?” He answered almost immediately.

“So you are awake. Faker.” I teased.

“I figured that would help you fall asleep.”

I smiled. “Well, goodnight Heecheol oppa.”

He kissed my cheek. “Sweet dreams.”