The Commander's Wife

The Race To His Heart

 

Hyuna’s POV

 

“Oppa, marrying the commander is really hard. It’s a wedding followed with problems only…”

I don’t even know what came over me to say such things. But since it was a variety show, nobody objects. Instead, they loved that sudden outburst of realization from me.

The whole Running Man cast and crew are now gathered inside the so-called ‘reception hall.’ The other four girls who consented to be a part of this episode are also there, chattering and laughing. The round tables are b with food and liquor but I’m afraid I’ve lost my appetite despite the exertions we’ve just been through. I only put an average slice of chocolate cake on my plate so as not to raise any suspicions.

Ever since my agent informed me that I would be doing Running Man, I’ve grown restless during the wait. I can still remember vividly how my heart fluttered at the mention of the variety show that I genuinely loved but also because of one particular person composing the Running Man.

Every Sunday, I would studiously wait for the show to air and watch it with my full attention. I started getting addicted to it when my mum called me and kept on jabbering how Running Man had relieved her stress. She also mentioned in the passing about the ‘commander,’ whatever that means. Curious, I sat one Sunday in front of the television and decided to watch it for myself. I can’t remember ever laughing like that – complete with doubling over and tears actually pooled in my eyes. It was the best thing since spas and salons were invented. And I finally had a bit of knowledge of what my mum was talking about. The commander, the capable man, the lovable one…no other than Kim Jongkook!

Well, I have met the guy a few times during appearances but never really talked to him. He seemed nice enough guy but there’s also an air of reservation around him. The other Running Man team would always point out every chance they got how Jongkook seemed to be shy around girls. I guess that explains why he never really talked to me before. I shrugged at the thought and continued watching my now favorite TV show.

Right then and there, it sort of became part of my routines. Normally, I would be out in the mall, having a shopping spree, but instead, I opted to have a date with my TV and watch the show. During those times I watched Running Man, without really realizing it, I sort of got ‘obsessed’ with Spartakook. I really admire it how strong and capable he is. I can tell how toned and muscular he is through those fitted shirts he wore. I also find it really cute how bad-tempered and easily provoked he is. I especially liked his relationship with Kwangsoo, the maknae of the group. I almost peed my pants with laughter when Kwangsoo kept on framing Jongkook with lies – like how he saw Jongkook putting nail polish – and also how Kwangsoo called him Jongkook-ah, making the commander almost drank all of the water in the huge bowl. I told myself that these two are now my favorite RM members.

The next day, I found myself searching Kim Jongkook over the net. I was shocked at how famous he is, especially among the girls. I got really engrossed on reading blog after blog dedicated to the capable man until I got across a picture of him half-. I could still remember how my jaw dropped, as well as my . I know it’s creepy but the first thing that caught my eye was his happy trail. My face was flushed all throughout my silent fangirling as I feasted my eyes over this one fine specimen of a man. I remembered gulping quite audibly at the sight of his huge biceps and that six-pack abs. My mouth watered at the sight of the V just below his abdomen. And the veins, let’s not forget about the straining veins all over his yummy body. There’s something really about those veins that made my hands itched to trace my fingers along them.

From that moment on, I admitted to myself that I have a crush on Jongkook. Well, who hasn’t? He’s extremely good-looking and has a really great voice. My I-Pod is now housing Spartakook’s songs. I would listen to them every night, letting his voice lull me to sleep.

And then I came across some articles about him and Yoon Eun Hye during my ‘research.’ I couldn’t help the disappointment that washed over me at the knowledge that Jongkook dated Eun Hye. I mean, even though I am now famous in the music industry not just with my voice but also with my looks, I am still no match to one Yoon Eun Hye. She’s a goddess. After reading the articles and going through their pictures together, I felt numb and…queasy. I lay down on my bed that night without listening to Jongkook’s songs for the first time and had a troubled sleep.

It sounded really stupid but I was sort of jealous. He really is a nice catch, and seeing him with someone as perfect as Eun Hye, it made perfect sense. One gorgeous guy and one beautiful woman…together… Go figure.

I told myself that I was just obsessed, that I should probably need to get a life aside from my TV date every Sunday. And besides, it’s alarming to see myself overreacting when it comes to Jongkook.

And then came my scheduled guest appearance at RM. I was so nervous, to say the least. More so when our eyes met… I hastily tore my gaze away from him, away from temptation. He really is gorgeous.

When Jongkook won the survival match – like I had predicted – he was given the opportunity to choose his, as well as the others’, partners. All the while, I tried to act professional and nonchalant, but deep inside, my heart is thundering away at the prospect of becoming his partner. But knowing that I’ve got more or less 20% chance that he’ll pick me, I quickly pushed the thought away and instead, psyched myself up for the next day’s race.

Morning came and the five of us (Suzy, Krystal, Gyuri, Seungyeon and me) were told to wear the wedding dresses laid down before us. It’s safe to assume that we were going to do a wedding race, and I was right. They instructed us to wait in different locations before handing us a cup of flower tea. I burst out laughing, remembering the episode where Sulli drank the tea and turned into an old woman.

And wait, we did. One by one, the guys came searching for their designated partner. I continued to project a cool façade even though I feel like fainting with too much anticipation. Who? Who is my partner?

And suddenly, I heard a voice calling out my name. “Hyuna! Hyuna!” I turned at the sound and it’s like everything went in slow motion. Once I saw who it was, my breath caught in my throat and my heart beats faster. It was Jongkook. Kim Jongkook. The same guy I’ve been drooling over for the last couple of weeks now. The one and only Kim Jongkook…

“Hyuna!” He stopped a few inches in front of me, catching his breath. “Hello.”

“Hi. I almost drank this tea,” I murmured sheepishly, looking anywhere but his eyes. I need to get it together. I mentally cheered myself on, reminding myself that I’m in the middle of a shooting. I need to gather my wits around and act as normal and as funny as I can be. After all, this is Running Man we’re talking about.

“Oh really?” He smirked at me before he took the tea from my hands and threw the contents on the ground. “Come on, we need to get back down there as fast as we can.”

Showtime! I smiled meekly up at him in assent. He reached for my wrist and held it firmly with his hand, much to my dismay, and we started to run. He’s ever the gentleman, matching my much slower pace although I’m already running as fast as I can. Feeling the cold wind against my body, blowing my long tresses away, and Jongkook’s warm hand wrapped around me, I felt my earlier anxiety slowly dissipating and was replaced with elation and excitement. For now, I am Jongkook’s wife. And I’m loving every minute of it!

During the 1st round, I am really rattled with his sheer proximity that I couldn’t even answer the questions thrown at us. I am at a lost, just letting him take me anywhere he’d go. I secretly felt pleased when he asked me what appliance would I like to take home with me. Without really meaning on it, I mumbled about liking coffees, and realized that I have spoken that one out loud. So when it’s our turn, he chose the coffeemaker. It warmed my heart that he’s being considerate about me. My admiration for and physical attraction to him had just increased ten folds. The next round was my second favorite – the wedding photo shoot. I liked the part where we have to jump together and lean closer to each other so our faces would show inside the heart in the background. Despite us being one of the last couples to succeed, it didn’t make me feel like we’re already losing. But my favorite part of the race is the 3rd round where the groom had to carry his bride on his back and run towards the end within a given time frame. This meant I could be as close to him as possible without my secret being revealed. When I jumped on his back and wrapped both my arms and legs around him, I had the mistake of inhaling deeply, taking in his manly scent mixed with sweat. It was a heady combination and I found myself burying my face on the side of his neck. I tried to snuggle close to him and at the same time, smell him, as inconspicuously as I could. And another thing added to my list of disappointments, Jongkook didn’t wrap his huge hands around my thigh but instead, hooked his arms around them with closed fist. Ever the ing gentleman… It almost pissed me off. The only consolation I had is that I could feel his hard, toned back against my front.

As expected from the commander, we succeeded in the first try. And on the 4th and final round, I thought we were going to win with the way he’s clutching my hand tightly and putting our laced hands out of sight. He tried his best to protect me – er, our couple gloves but the other RM members chose that moment to unite in eliminating Jongkook. During that time, I already feel some sort of connection with him. I am much more at ease around him to the extent that I got carried away and blurted out those embarrassing words.

“Oppa, marrying the commander is really hard. It’s a wedding followed with problems only…”

I groaned to myself. I felt stupid. And I had this feeling that everybody now knows about my little crush on Jongkook. And speaking of Jongkook, I couldn’t see him around the room. It was like there’s some sort of unspoken deal among the other couples to stay with their grooms and brides all throughout the evening. Whereas I am left here sitting alone…

My musing was interrupted when a voice spoke close to my left ear. “Hey, Hyuna.”

I almost jumped and when I turned to look at the source, my tirade died down in my throat at seeing Jongkook leaning over me, his hands propped on the backrest of my chair and the other one beside me.

“Jongkook-ssi!” I gasped out. He smirked down at me before he joined me on the table and occupied the seat next to me. “You scared me…”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s okay…I guess.” He chuckled at my hesitancy. I drink in his appearance. He had taken his dinner jacket and tie off, wearing only his crisp white shirt with the top two buttons undone. I tried not to ogle, tried to, but was unsuccessful. He really looks…delicious.

“I’m also sorry for leaving my wife here all alone. I just went out a little bit to get some fresh air. Hope my wife could forgive me,” he murmured gallantly, a teasing look in his eyes. One of my perfectly trimmed eyebrows arched and his smirk widened at my skepticism.

“You’ll only be forgiven if…” I stood up in one fluid movement and put my hands on my hips, looking him over up and down with narrowed eyes and pouting lips. “…you’ll dance with me.”

I stopped breathing altogether as Jongkook contemplated what I said. His eyes finally lit up with amusement as he eyed me up and down. I actually felt a hot trail on where his eyes had been, making my breathing come out in short pants. His eyes widened infinitesimally, noticing that my breathing pattern had changed. I blinked rapidly. Clearing my throat, I tried to regain my composure but to no avail. The way his eyes roamed the length of my body made my insides gave out an involuntary shudder. God, this man could make love with only his eyes!

“Fine,” he acquiesced after a moment of staring match with me. The corner of his lips twisted ever so slightly, like he’s trying to stop himself from laughing or something. He stood up and I had to take a step back when his huge body brushed along mine on the way. His smile widened and I realized that he’s doing that in purpose. This jerk!

Without any hesitation whatsoever, he led me to the dance floor. Only this time, he actually took my hand. I gasped at the electricity that spread all over my body at the simple touch of our hands. He had held my hand a few times during the race, intentionally or otherwise. But this feeling didn’t register in my head nor the sensation is this acute. Maybe because this time, we are not bound by the variety show or the rules. Because this time, he held my hand because he wanted to. And I only just realized how much I wanted him to hold my hand under ordinary, normal circumstances. The need to feel his touch is overwhelming me, engulfing my every senses.

A few couples are already on the dance floor. A new song had just upped and I almost laughed at hearing the lyrics.

 

Been running from this feelings for so long
Telling my heart I didn’t need you
Pretending I was better off alone
But I know that it’s just a lie
So afraid of taking chance again
So afraid of what I feel inside

 

How very apt! I thought dryly. Jongkook stopped on the farther corner of the dance floor where only a few people are dancing. His strong arms wrapped themselves around my small waist, pulling me snugly to him. He started to move, and I found myself mirroring it. We swayed from side to side, looking at each other’s eyes, lost in our own thoughts. We didn’t say anything, and instead, just danced.

 

Right here with you is right where I belong
I lose my mind if I can’t see you
Without you, there’s nothing in this life
That would make life worth living for
I can’t bare the thought of you not there
I can’t fight what I feel anymore

 

Without realizing it, I let out a very unladylike snort. Jongkook raised his eyebrow in question.

“What was that for?”

“Nothing. I just remembered something… With this song, I mean. Really, it’s nothing,” I murmured, too afraid that he’ll see right through me.

“If you say so,” he muttered dismissively as he put his gaze on the spot above my head. He looked pissed, or bored, depending on one’s point of view.

 

But I need to be next to you
I need to share every breath with you
I need to know I can see you smile each morning
Look into your eyes each night for the rest of my life
Here with you, near with you, I need to be next to you

 

The woman’s cool, soothing voice kept on mocking me with the lyrics of the song, making me feel suddenly uncomfortable. And scared… Jongkook really is something. He got under my skin without even trying and had sent my senses working overtime. Even for a passing fancy, the feelings he evoked in me are far too deep and confusing.

My thought was suddenly interrupted when I felt his embrace tightened around me, making me gasp. I look at his eyes in silent questioning but he didn’t say anything. He pulled me closer still, until I felt my feet leave the ground. Woah!

“What are you doing?” I said breathlessly.

“I just want to hold you close. I’ve never danced like this for a long time now. I suddenly missed the feeling of holding a beautiful woman in my arms,” he murmured in all seriousness. My mouth plopped open at his honesty. I can feel the loneliness in his voice. The way he said those words made me ache for him even more.

“All you have to do is ask, silly.” I gave out a small, if not nervous, chuckle before wrapping my arms around his neck. “There. Better?”

“Yep,” he said with a solemn nod. I smiled at him, and he smiled back. Just like that, the tension between us vanished and is now replaced with tranquil and ease.

“You worked really hard a while ago. I’m very sorry if it caused you trouble to be paired with me,” Jongkook said conversationally after a moment of companionable silence. I chuckled.

“That’s putting it mildly. But I knew about these things beforehand and I guess I can’t complain,” I chimed in enthusiastically, remembering every moment we spent together during that day.

“So that’s why you said it’s hard to become the commander’s wife, isn’t it?”

“Right. You were so…so barbaric and wild and…and you,” I blurted out, lost for words on how to describe Jongkook.

“Me?”

“Yes, you. You’re being yourself. The usual short-tempered tiger who’s ready to pounce at his prey the first chance he gets.”

“Hyuna-ah, if there’s one thing I’ve learned during this race, it’s the fact that you’re just like me. You get angry easily and you do what you want without really thinking about it first. You’re my female match,” he said with finality, a satisfied smirk decorating his lips.

“Hmmm…”

“Hmmm? Is that all you got to say to my compliments?”

“Well, you’re probably right.” I snickered at the reminder of something. “And did you hear them calling us ‘the tiger couple’? It’s really hilarious.”

“I do hope you enjoyed this day’s activities.”

“I did. It was very liberating. And fun.”

“I’m glad,” he growled out. My breath hitched at the intensity of his stare while he uttered those simple words. Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask him now about the one question that’s been nagging my head like a plague. I cleared my throat, trying to regain some semblance of calm.

“Jongkook-ssi - ”

“Just call me Jongkook. We’re far passed the formalities now, I think.”

“Right.” I chuckled a bit before continuing. “Jongkook, why did you chose me as…as your partner?”

I didn’t expect his reaction. Jongkook in his breath and just stared at me, seemingly at a lost. He looked taken aback. Odd.

“W-Well… I…”

Jeez! Jongkook, stuttering? This is new. I bit my lip, trying not to smile. Watching him like this amuses me like no other. He looked so adorable, squirming like this.

“Well?” I prodded, smirking.

“Well… I thought you’d be up for a challenge. I mean, being my partner presents hazard and all that , but I see you as someone who is strong and independent. I mean, come on! You’ve acted beautifully all throughout the race. I was right in choosing you.”

It’s now my turn to be taken aback. His words… They are far from being sweet or romantic, but they touched something in me, something deep and elemental. I felt myself blush profusely. I guess my question is now answered. He really is the one who chose me. On his own will… And it meant the whole world to me.

“Wait, are you blushing?”

“Oppa! Do you really have to point that one out?” I snapped at him in feigned annoyance. He just laughed and not long after, I joined him.

“That’s not the only reason why I chose you,” he murmured after our laughter subsided. My eyes searched his, waiting for him to speak.

“Hyuna, I - ”

“Hyungnim! The others wanted to take a photo and you’re the only one missing!” Haha-ssi shouted, his loud, boisterous voice breaking the spell between us. Jongkook closed his eyes in annoyance before he turned around to face the bubbly, childish Haha. Honestly, I liked Haha-ssi but I think I like him less for interrupting a possibility of Jongkook ever feeling the same way as I did. I glared at the back of Haha’s head before I let out a deep sigh.

“Go on,” I muttered sardonically, rolling my eyes at him.

“Come and join us,” he insisted. He didn’t give me a chance to answer for he already dragged me along to where the festivities are.

The rest of the Running Man members are already posing, all laughing and giddy at the prospect of having this wonderful day put into a memento. I smiled widely at everyone, laughing occasionally when Kwangsoo or Haha do something really funny. I had fun by just watching the guys and Miss Jihyo take gazillions of photos. They seemed to be really close to one another.

“Let’s take some pictures with the girls, too!” Gary-ssi suggested with a hopeful look in his eyes. To his delight, everybody agreed. The next thing I know, Jaesuk oppa pulled me to the center and had me standing right next to Jongkook. He smiled widely at me, genuinely happy to see me, before he put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to his side. My smile faltered at his familiarity but quickly recovered myself. We smiled in front of the camera and put on our wacky faces. The whole room is filled with our laughter. They also took pictures of just us 5 girls.

“Now, how about a couple picture?” Jaesuk announced as he took the lead and posed with Seungyeon first. Haha quickly pulled Suzy-ah to his side and took the advantage to wrap his arms around her. Suzy seemed to be cool about it. Up next are Sukjin and Jihyo, then followed by Gyuri and Kwangsoo. Now, this is where I laughed really hard. Kwangsoo lifted Gyuri in a piggyback once again, then in a standing position where their height difference is very noticeable. The two looked really cute together and I think they are really getting along fine.

I was roughly yanked out of my reverie when Jongkook lifted me, bridal-style, and carried me to the center. I instinctively encircled my arms around his neck and smiled in front of the camera. This feels wonderful. It’s like we’re having a wedding photo shoot – a real one. I let myself fantasize about Jongkook and pretended that we really are a couple now.

After Krystal and Gary had their pictures taken, we decided for one more picture.

“We still don’t have the formal picture. We’re all either laughing our hearts out or jumping to the roof. Let’s take a pretty picture now, shall we?” I shook my head with a smile. Expect Jaesuk oppa to be the leader of the group. After all, he’s the oldest – er, next to Sukjin anyway. Oh, I don’t know anymore.

I decided this time to stand at the side but I was surprised when Jongkook joined me there. I frowned at him but he just cast me a quick smile. Well, it seems like I’m not the only one under the illusion here. Or maybe I’m just imagining things.

After a few more minutes, the photo op finally ended. They asked us all to gather around the biggest table at the center, handing each one of us a glass of red wine.

The PD offered a toast. “For a successful wedding race!” We all clinked our glasses together, smiling at each other. As I was about to drink my wine, I almost jumped when Jongkook approached me yet again and hooked his arms around mine. And just like in weddings, he motioned for me to drink the wine with our arms entwined in that way. I only hesitated for a heartbeat and obliged.

“You’re really taking this ‘wedding’ thing seriously,” I murmured close to his ear so as not to be heard by others. He leant further to me and whispered to me as well.

“I am.”

His admission had knocked the wind out of my chest. Well, I guess I really am not the only one. My face broke out in a grin, and without thinking, I stood on my toes and put a chaste, lingering kiss on his cheek, surprising him. When I pulled back, I just gave him a shy smile before I walked away to join Kwangsoo and Gyuri on the other end.

“Did you just kiss the commander?” Gyuri whispered to my ear the moment I reached her side, a teasing look in her eyes.

“I did,” I murmured back with a wink. Gyuri chuckled but did not press the matter anymore. I listen to Kwangsoo’s stories. He really is very fun to be with. There would never be a dull moment with Kwangsoo. I made a mental note to ask for his number later. It’ll be really great to gather a few more friends, especially in this cruel industry.

As I was finishing my 3rd glass of wine, the DJ put ‘Troublemaker’ on and everybody cheered and whooped, giving me catcalls with matching round of applause. I granted their silent wish and went on the platform in front and started singing and dancing.

If I look into your eyes, I’m trouble maker
If I stand next to you, I’m trouble maker
Little by little more more more
Gradually more more more
Now I can’t help my feelings

 

It seems like the 3 glasses of wine had made my mind go fuzzy, which, in turn, made me go bolder and wilder. I dance my off, waving them around too much.

 

[H]I’ll bite your heart and escape like a cat
You’ll keep getting irritated, hurry come to me and release your anger
My y steps arouse your mind
Subtle skinship, your face lits up, your eyes tell me you can’t resist it

 

When it was my co-duet, Hyunseung’s part, I was dumbfounded when Jongkook went up the platform and sang the part. I stared at Jongkook in astonishment. He even danced the whole part, just the way it should be done.

 

[JK]I’m gradually falling deeper
The more I know you, I like you more baby
Whatever I say, I think I got drunk in the thought of you lady
I never never never stop!

 

And damn, the guy can move! It even looked much hotter and ier with him dancing it. But I guess it’s because it was him. The deafening cheers of the crowd almost didn’t register through my hazy mind. His eyes were dark and piercing, and I’m lost in their depths. My hooded eyes held his gaze and without so much as hesitation, I started to move with him, our bodies molding together, fitting perfectly. I didn’t have the slightest idea that Jongkook knew my song, more so, the dance steps.

 

[BOTH]So that you can’t forget me, I’m again in front of you
I keep rocking your heart, so you can’t break free
I steal your lips again and run away
I’m trou a a a ble trouble trou-trouble maker
Trouble maker trouble maker
Trouble maker trouble maker

 

I stifled a groan when his firm hand wrapped itself around my exposed thigh, his touch sending shivers up and down my spine. I lift my left hand up almost parallel to the floor and Jongkook took my hand and put a soft kiss on my wrist. We turned back on back, giving me the opportunity to touch his thick, muscular thighs and his even for a short time. When I turned my back, I didn’t see it coming. I gasped out loudly when his huge hand landed on my , its span almost covering the whole half of it. I can feel his heat through the fabric of my dress. I am now panting, reeling. God, it felt so good to be touched by Jongkook.

As we finished our impromptu performance, the room was once again filled with screams and cheers. I bowed timidly at everybody, in contrast to my behavior just a while ago. Jesus! I need to get away now.

After thanking them all, I excused myself to the ladies’ room, telling myself not to look back for I knew he was staring at me. Once inside the relative safety of the cubicle, I slumped down on the floor, burying my head on my palms.

“!” I hissed as quiet as I can. I roughly stood up and kicked the nearby trashcan in frustration. The contents scattered the floor but I could care less. “! ! !”

Why is Jongkook acting the way he’s acting now? Are they all just for show? Or did he genuinely want to be with me? It’s confusing me. One moment, we were just being friendly, acting all casual and normal. And then as minutes passed, his demeanor changed drastically. He’s now acting like…like we are together. He’s not helping my predicament. Instead, he’s making it worse, making it harder for me.

I stared at myself in the mirror and was surprised to see my flushed face. God, I looked very aroused, which is actually true. I am with all the teasing and ual innuendos on stage. I shook my head in disgust. The two of us were just carried away with the romantic moment. It’s nothing.

Finally steeling my resolves, I reapply my lipstick before I left the ladies’ room. Once I reached the festivities, I could see that the other girls also performed one of their songs to the Running Man people. It made me smile.

Jongkook is nowhere to be found. Well, I prefer it that way. I accepted the glass of wine one of the staffs handed to me. I took a sip and found out that it was soju instead of wine.

“Woah!” I closed my eyes tightly as I gulped the bittersweet liquor in one swig. As I finished the first glass, Kwangsoo handed me another soju. I told myself ‘what the hell’ and accepted every soju handed my way. I’m not going to spend the rest of my night thinking about something that is meaningless and in reality, doesn’t exist. Jongkook and I is not an item. With that in mind, I joined in on the cheering and screaming, not foreseeing the fact that I could get drunk. I continued to dance and drink and dance and then drink some more.

After my fifth – or was that the 6th? – glass of soju, I fell messily on the nearby couch. I remember myself mumbling and mumbling about ‘wedding’ and ‘tiger’, and before I lose consciousness, I heard the harsh epithet of one really angry commander had uttered as he stared at my drunken state.

“ it!”

 

~oooOooo~