step 5

30 steps to invading EXO's life

 

“Where the heck am I?” were the first words that came out of my mouth as I opened my eyes. I felt lightheaded, my body lied in a bed of fluff and my sight was nothing but black. Was I dead? Will I never see Thehun oppa again?

 

I was in hysteria until I heard a creaking sound. Was it the sound of life? I was unaware of what was happening to my surrounding until I saw light flashing to me brightly. My eyes squinted at the brightness.

“Oh! you’re finally up” a familiar voice said.

I forced my eyes to get used to the brightness and was finally able to identify who spoke. It was Jihye unnie carrying a basket of fruits. I looked around and realize I was actually at a room of a hospital; I was hospitalized because of the incident earlier caused by my stupidity, a worth it stupidity. I touched my forehead and felt bandages that might have been wrapped to my head. I giggled at the proof that the whole incident was real.

“Yah! You lunatic! You’re creeping me out” unnie scolded me as she placed the fruit basket at the table beside my bed. “Mom and dad were very worried. I had to make up a lie that you slipped on your way to school” she reported.

“Kkomawo!” I smiled at her.

“Y-yah! Stop smiling like that” she yelled.

She was acting weird because she knew she’d be dead if the truth comes out. I took my gaze off of my frantic sister and focused at the whole room. It was white. It was not big but not small either. There was a couch. A television was sitting in front of the couch. There was a small fridge at the corner of the room. There was a huge bouquet of flowers sitting at the edge of my bed near my feet; ‘get well soon from SHINee’ was written on it.

From SHINee.

 

I stretched my whole body forward and reached for the flowers. As soon as I got a hold of it I smelled the flowers like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Smells like SHINee!” I inhaled. Receiving a bouquet of flowers from an idol group who doesn’t have any relation with you is not an everyday thing so I should enjoy it. The choice of flowers were great, they were all yellow, my favorite color. What surprised me the most was that I saw daffodils. “Hey sis!” I called Jihye unnie.

“What?” she asked as she walked near me. She sat at the edge of the bed and looked at me weirdly.

“Look!” I shoved the flower to her face.

“Yah!” she yelled and pushed it away.

“Just look,” I told her and she examined the flowers. “Daffodils!” I smiled and I was expecting she’d get the message but she didn’t and just looked at me like a lost duck. “My favorite flower! H-how could they possibly know?” I asked in amusement.

“Pft. That could’ve been just some coincidence” she rolled her eyes.

“No! It’s destiny! It’s so meant to be!” I insisted.

 

Thinking about it, if Minho oppa picked it for me then, there’s a possibility that we’re soul mates! I mean, out of all the flowers he could’ve got, why daffodils right? It bothers me though that Thehun oppa might not be my match. D-don’t worry Thehun oppa! Minho oppa hasn’t completely swept me off my feet yet, you still have a huge space in my heart! Hwaiting!

“Aigoo, I’ll get you some water delusional brat.” She excused herself as she stood up and head for this small table that had a plate of crackers and a pitcher sitting on top of it.

The door suddenly flung open and revealed a grinning Riri. Jihye unnie was frightened and nearly knocked the glass of water because of it.

“Oh! Jihye unnie, good afternoon!” Riri bowed. “I didn’t know you’ll be here.” Riri laughed but Jihye unnie wasn’t happy about it.

Riri ran towards my direction and I honestly thought she was gonna lunge herself on the bed, gladly she didn’t. She sat beside the bed and still kept that freakish smile on her face.

I was unsure how I’ll feel about this positiveness Riri was promoting. Was she glad to see me or glad I nearly died of blood loss?

“Jin! Look!” she exclaimed as she showed me her phone’s screen.

“You came all the way here just to show me your phone?” I complained. I was just a little annoyed at the fact that she didn’t hug me or at least asked if I was okay.

“Just read” she commanded and I followed.

The screen was a little blurry for me, it must’ve been moist because of Riri’s sweaty palms, but I was still able to read decently. ‘Fan girl bumps head hard on wall, collapses on idol’s arms!’, the headline stated. There was a picture underneath it and it was a scene where Minho oppa’s carrying a girl with a blurred face, the blur didn’t cover the blood streaming down.

T-that’s me! I was on front page of a news website! I was in a picture with Minho oppa who carried me bridal style I looked more like a corpse than a bride there though! Was Thehun oppa able to read this?! He should have and he should be on his way here now!

“You’re famous now!” Riri announced and gave me a quick hug.

 

“Oh my God! Look at that! Doesn’t that look like a scene from a drama?! Thehun oppa should see this! I’m sure he’s so jealous right now!” I laughed like a classic evil scientist. He should be jealous. The shot looked pretty dramatic, whoever shot that will get a tip from me. I’ll even ask for a better copy no matter how much it’ll cost me. I’ll have it framed and post it on my room’s wall.

 

“I think you hit your head really hard, you seem a lot delusional now.” Riri suddenly said, she even tried knocking on my head.

“Ow! Watch it” I warned her. She drew her hand back and apologized.

“So it is real” she confirmed with widened eyes.

“Well, where else do you think I could’ve got all that blood?” I said and she nodded. “So how was it after I lost consciousness?”

Riri looked in space for a while to go back in time. “Most were shocked and of course, there were some who were convinced that you were faking it. You left a trail of blood in front of SME.  Minho oppa was only able to bring you to the ambulance, he wasn’t with you all the way here. Shawols began banging their head on walls. AND! Shawols now consider you a role model and a dead legend.” She reminisced.

“That’s grea-“ I was cut off when I was able to absorb Riri’s last words. I was a dead legend? 

 

“Oops. Right, I’ll have to update them about that. After all that blood they thought you wouldn’t make it so . . . yeah.” She quickly took her gaze on her phone and began typing. “You’re also on youtube by the way,” she added. “’Pabo fangirl bumps her head on wall’ is nearly a million hit. If it continues to spread, you might just get the chance of becoming the next Korean Phenomenon.”

“O-kay” was all I was able to say. My feelings towards becoming a youtube celebrity was different from becoming an idol.

 

“Also, you missed EXO. Guess who got a picture of Chanyeol oppa” she giggled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, I woke up feeling a lot better. There was less pain in my head and my sight wasn’t that woozy anymore. I was still in the hospital, same room, same bed. Jihye unnie called and told me she’ll be a little late because she had school stuff she was working on, but it was okay, nurses constantly visit me anyway to check how I was doing.

It was a little lonely that day. All I had for entertainment was the television and I didn’t enjoy it because I was more of a ‘computer person’. I could’ve been scrolling through different sites to look for more articles about myself, unfortunately my cell phone broke because I fell on it in the accident. It was another way of rubbing on my face that I was FAT. I basically spent the next couple of hours thinking how embarrassing it was and how pitiful Minho oppa for he had to carry me, Jabba the Hutt. 

 

The room was filled with my wailing until I heard a knock on the door.

<*knock on door>

“Come in” I said and abruptly wiped liquids running from my eyes and nose.

 

The door slowly opened and I expected it’ll be just a nurse. I was wrong. At the door stood 3 shining guys and thank God I decided to wipe off the tears from my eyes and cold dripping down from my nose. 

 

“1, 2, 3” Jonghyun oppa counted.

“Hello! We are shining SHINee!” the three guys bowed in front of me. Their sudden greeting surprised me. The boys weren’t exactly inside the room yet and the people outside passing by saw them. When one screamed ‘Oh My God SHINee’s here!’ the boys hastily got inside and closed the door.

“That was a close one” Taemin oppa exhaled. He seemed scared about getting mobbed in the hospital. I couldn’t blame him since all kinds of sickness might get into him if that happens. “You’re Jin Hee-ssi right?” Taemin oppa asked for a confirmation, he probably asked that because I was quiet.

“Y-yes” I replied but nothing came next, it was very silent. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Taemin oppa, Jonghyun oppa and Minho oppa was in the same room as I was. I should be fangirling. Wait, did my brain automatically turn on its ‘act classy’ mode?

“Don’t be sad, we’re still SHINee,” Minho oppa said. “Jinki hyung and Kibum hyung were just busy so they weren’t able to make it” he reasoned.

“N-no, I’m not sad. I’m actually happy you guys decided to visit me even if you don’t know me” I said. Woah. I can’t believe I just said that. I talked to them normally. No squealing, no giggling, no fangirling, just normal talking. “Thanks for the flowers by the way, I enjoyed them.” I added.

The boys looked at me blankly and I realized how weird I constructed my sentence.

 

“Err, let me rephrase. I didn’t eat them okay? That would be disgusting if I did, but I’m not saying what you gave me was disgusting coz I’d eat it if you asked me to, err.” There goes my plan of acting classy. I was back to being myself again.

The SHINee boys laughed at my stupidity. I was embarrassed but proud at the same time because I was able to make SHINee laugh.

“What I was trying to say is that I liked it because I liked Daffodils.” I finally nailed the proper words. My gaze landed on the door as I saw it slightly open and I saw my sister.

What?! No, not yet. She can’t just walk in and ruin the moment. I told her to go away by making hand gestures but she couldn’t understand it so I had to mouth ‘STAY OUT’. Finally, she closed the door and as I looked back at the SHINee boys, they were giving me that weird look again.

I hope they don’t think I’m crazy.

“I-I’m just exercising my muscles, the doctor said it’ll be good for me” I lied.

“Oh” the boys nodded in sync.

“You’re pretty funny, you know that” Minho oppa remarked as he flashed a smile.

Oh my God, is this how I die? Is this the day where Thehun oppa will be gone from my bias list?! Thehun oppa, please stay with me! I still love you but the frog prince is just so. . . I even think he’s trying to seduce me!

 

“Thanks” I shyly replied. I could feel my cheeks burn at his statement.

 

“So how are you feeling?” Jonghyun oppa asked.

“I’m fine. The doctor said I will be outta here in no time.” I told them. They were glad to hear the news while I on the other hand wasn’t sure if I should take that as a good thing or a bad thing. They could be glad that they wouldn’t have to visit me anymore if S.M. ever told them to visit the injured girl until she gets better. “I’m sorry I caused you guys trouble.”

“No!” the boys nearly yelled that word.

“You weren’t trouble at all” Minho oppa said.

“Yeah, it was actually funny when Onew hyung kept shouting ‘Blood! Blood! There’s so much blood!’” Taemin oppa added.

“And you must be bummed that it isn’t the EXO hoobaes who are visiting you now.” Jonghyun oppa pouted. How did he know I was an Exotic? “Before I forget, here” Jonghyun oppa returned my chibi Sehun keychain, I’ve been looking for it since yesterday.

“Don’t be sad oppa! I’m a Shawol too” I told him and their faces lit up.

“That’s great, because it’ll be awkward if you weren’t” Taemin oppa said. “It could’ve been EXO who visited you today though they’re busy for their comeback”

I noticed Jonghyun oppa glance at this watch, it was the third time he did it actually. My guess was that they couldn’t be here for too long so he keeps track of the time.

“I’m sorry Jin Hee, we’d like to talk to you more but that is all the time our manager had given us.” Jonghyun oppa said the magical words. My smile faded in an instant. They’re not EXO but I was a hardcore Shawol before EXO debuted.

“Maybe we could sign something for you or strike a pose before we leave.” Minho oppa offered.

I didn’t have any SHINee CDs with me so my only choice was to take a picture with them. I knew my sister was listening to my whole conversation with SHINee so I called her name and she was there in an instant. With her cell phone camera she took a picture of me with SHINee and after that the idol group bid farewell and made its exit.

Jihye unnie avoided talking or making eye contact with me because of what just happened. She knew I’d flaunt to her the incident and she’s right. Annoyance was written all over her face because I didn’t stop grinning at her like a Cheshire cat.

“Minho oppa told me I was pretty” I told her.

“Pretty FUNNY. He said pretty funny, I heard it” Jihye unnie bitterly replied, emphasizing the word ‘funny’.

“It’s something”

 

Step no. 5: First impression lasts.

Keep a positive attitude no matter who you’re talking to. He/she could be one of his friends.