It's a date

Promises

 

I waited for Kris downstairs in the living room, entertaining myself with a magazine about home and lifestyle. I had stuffed my bag of food in the trunk of the car already so it would remain a surprise until we arrived at the park. The clock on the wall ticked slowly, every minute passing like hours, while I waited for my husband to get ready. 

 

Slender fingers wrapped around my neck, sliding down to my collarbones. A smile lit my face and I closed my eyes, shutting the magazine as I felt lips against my skin. My hand reaching to the nape of his neck, I ran my fingers through his soft hair. He pulled away after planting a kiss on my skin and our eyes met. His eyes reflected nothing but love, making my heart flutter. “You took your time.”

 

Kris stood up straight and chuckled, straightening out his shirt. He was dressed in a new t-shirt and jeans. It was such a simple outfit yet it fitted him perfectly. At moments like this, it thoroughly reminded me of how lucky I was to be his. 

 

I got up from my spot on the chair and set the magazine down on the coffee table. Kris watched my every action, his eyes practically glued to me. I then scurried back over to him, slipping my fingers through his, and lead him outside into the driveway. I got in the passenger’s side of the car while he took his seat behind the wheel. “The park, right?” he asked. I nodded in agreement and he drove off. It was a quiet ride. He drove using one hand, our fingers intertwined, and I lowered the windows halfway.

 

He parked the car under a shady space in a lot not too far away from the park. As soon as he got out, he rushed over to the passenger side to open the door for me. I took his hand again with a smile and stepped out, one foot after the other. I then walked over to the trunk and opened it to grab my bag of food. 

 

Kris eyed me with suspicion, “Jessica, what is that?”

“We’re gonna have a picnic, love,” I replied, looking at him shyly. “Romantic, isn’t it?”

“A picnic?” He chuckled, but I walked off without continuing the conversation. There wasn’t anything else to be said. 

 

The weather was perfect. It was warm with a slight breeze, though I had to constantly make sure my dress didn’t blow out of place. Kris walked beside me, my hand in his. We were silent for most of the time, paying attention to our surroundings: The leaves were rustling. The sun was shining. The birds were chirping up in their trees. I stole a glance at him every now and then to see a smirk on his lips. It was the kind of smirk that said, ‘I don’t know what to expect, but I’m excited.’ He wasn’t the only one. I was excited, yet I didn’t know what to expect either. 

 

After about fifteen minutes, we finally arrived at the park. It was empty, which made it even more romantic for the two of us. We could have our own privacy and take advantage of it whichever way possible. Kris found a spot underneath a big, shady tree then we headed towards it. 

 

“I hope you’re hungry,” I said as I set the bag down beside me. I pulled out the blanket and laid it down by the tree before sitting down on it. Kris sat down opposite me. I then began unpacking the food, setting the hot dogs and fruit down in between us. When I pulled out the bottle of wine, Kris’s eyes widened in surprise. I pulled out two small wine glasses and placed them by the large bottle. 

 

“Wow,” he whispered. “I didn’t know you had this in you.” 

I giggled and shrugged. I didn’t know I had that in me either, as I wasn’t usually the type to get all fussy over this kind of stuff. 

 

He reached towards a hot dog, biting a piece off. I watched him as I took one as well, though unlike him, I nibbled on it little by little. We watched each other, laughing. He was nothing but perfection in my eyes. 

 

We ate until we were totally full. He had three hot dogs, while I only had one. We split the fruit evenly enough though there was some left over. After he helped me pack all the containers back into my bag, our eyes both laid upon the bottle of wine that had still remained untouched. I reached for it, but he held my hand back. “Let’s save this for later.” 

 

The next thing we did was go for a walk. He led me around a small pond where removed our shoes and sat for a while, our feet dipped in the water as the small fish swam around. Our hands didn’t leave each others’ grasp once. 

 

The sun had begun setting by the time we returned. We sat back down on the blanket. Kris took the initiative to reach for the wine bottle this time and with the help of a corkscrew I had packed he opened it up, pouring equal amounts of wine into two glasses. 

 

Kris and I had room to sit closer to each other. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close as we took small sips from the glass, watching the sun set. He placed gentle kisses on my cheek down to my neck and before I knew it, the glasses were set beside us and I was on my back, locked in a heated kiss. 

 

“I love you,” he breathed against my skin.

“I love you more,” I whispered, and then I pressed my lips back to his, reviving the bliss. 

 


a/n: Sorry I haven't updated this in so long!! School has been more stressful than I thought and I have not had time for writing. I hope I can continue this story and I will try my best. I also hope you all liked this chapter. I plan on maybe adding a rated chapter, if that's okay with the readers. Please tell me what you think~ 

(I don't own any of the characters or images used.)