Teaser Two

Camp Diamond: For Troubled Teens

Teaser Two

“When your feeling ain’t, the same and your body just don’t want tooo. But you knoow, gotta let it goo, cause the party ain’t jumpin’ like it used to, even though this might bruise you. Let it buuurn, let it buuurn, oooo gotta let it buuurn!”

Choi Gina giggled as she watched her coworker Park Jaebeom, known most commonly as just Jay. The other had earphones in, singing and dancing along to the song playing on his iPod as he worked. The two had been assigned by Leeteuk to mop and clean the dance rooms in the Music Hall. Watching Jay singing and dancing, using the mop he was holding as a prop was just too funny for Gina. She even knew the song he was singing, Burn by Usher, and could understand every word. Jay had grown up in the United States and Gina in Canada after all, and both were fluent English speakers.

Jay completed a flourishing spin before pausing, having spotted the giggling mess Gina had become. He smirked slyly before prancing over to the woman. His dancing and singing then resumed, this time circling Gina.

“Deep down you know it’s best for yourself but yoouu, hate the thought of her being with someone else. But you knooow that it’s ooover, you know that it was through. Let it buuurn, let it buuurn, oooo giiirl, gotta let it buuurn!”

Jay continued on with his serenade until the end of the song, in which both were in full out laughter when it came. Gina attempted to control her laughter before speaking. “Jay, you’re such a riot! Talented, too. I’m surprised you don’t constantly have a swarm of fangirls worshipping the ground you walk on.”

Jay was about to respond when the door to the room opened, their fellow worker Horvejkul Nichkhun walking through. Jay smiled upon seeing one of his best friends and took out his headphones, sending a “what’s up, bro?” his way. Gina followed suit, greeting the other cheerfully. Nichkhun greeted the girl back before facing them both. “He doesn’t have swarms of fangirls because he’s too short to gain their attention. They all just end up looking over his head, not even noticing he’s there,” he said, smiling widely.

“Yah! Just because we don’t all have legs longer than the Eiffel Tower doesn’t mean you can make fun of us short folk!” Jay responded. Though his face was stern, one could hear the traces of humor in his voice, assuring that he wasn’t actually angry at the other male.

Watching the scene, Gina couldn’t help but add in her two cents. “Well, Nichkhun has a point, Jay. It must be hard to flirt with girls when they’re too busy asking you if you lost your mommy,” she said as Nichkhun burst out into laughter, giving Gina a high-five. Jay just scoffed and pretended to ignore the laughing duo, though mentally smiling himself. Once they had calmed down, Gina looked to Nichkhun and asked “So what are you doing here, anyway? Weren’t you cleaning the Band Room with Bom?” Jay perked up at the question, also looking to Nichkhun in curiosity.

The Thai man sighed, rubbing the back of his head in exasperation. “Well, I was,” he said pausing momentarily in thought. “But then she looked at her watch and said something along the lines of, ‘Oh no! If I don’t get to the Infirmary in the next three minutes then Squirrlie will go after Froggie!’ and then ran off. I wasn’t sure what to do, so I came here…” He trailed off, not knowing what to say next.

The other two sighed in unison. Park Bom was certainly a strange one. She was one of two of Camp Diamond’s resident nurses. Gina cocked her eyebrow in confusion after a moment of silence. “Wait a second, who’s Froggie? And who’s Squirrlie?”

Nichkhun shrugged, knowing as little of Bom’s thought process as any of the other workers. “Froggie must be a frog she’s started taking care of recently, and Squirrlie a squirrel. You know how she likes to pick up the injured animals she finds and take care of them until they’re healthy again. ” Gina made an ‘ah’ sound, nodding in understanding.

Having stayed silent for a while, Jay suddenly spoke up. “Nope, you’re wrong Khunnie. Froggie is actually a bird she found, and Squirrlie is a cat! The temporary bird cage Bom had made for Froggie she predicted would last about six hours before breaking, which apparently was set to happen while you guys were cleaning the Band Room. So, she was afraid that the cage would break and Froggie would be vulnerable and Squirrlie, being a cat, would get to the bird and eat it!” Jay finished off with his hands on his hips, proud of his knowledge on Bom’s pets.

Gina and Nichkhun just stared at Jay in confusion. Gina ran a hand through her hand before speaking again. “But why would she name a bird Froggie and a cat…” she paused, sighing. “Oh, it doesn’t matter. Look Nichkhun, how about you help me and Jay finish cleaning the dance rooms, and all three of us can go and finish the Band Room together?”

Nodding his head in agreement, Nichkhun grabbed a spare mop leaning against the wall, preparing to start working. Jay let out a loud “whoop!” and did the same, glad to be able to work with his best friend. Gina smiled as the two men began speaking lively together. All of the workers here at Camp Diamond were quite the characters, and Gina wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. Suddenly she heard her name being called, Jay asking if she wanted to watch a movie with them that night. The grin was back on her face in less than a second, agreeing with the request, making Jay and Nichkhun smile back. The trio continued their cleaning in earnest, looking forward to when the work was over and they could relax again. More importantly, they were looking forward to another fun-filled year with the other staff and campers that attend Camp Diamond.

 


____kasper's korner

Second teaser! We meet three (four if you're counting Bom) of our staff. What do you think of them?

More will be introduced in Teaser Three.

You guys probably think I'm weird for writing so much. But... I'm just so inspired!

Being honest here, some of the interactions are gonna be semi-important later on. I didn't want to spring anything on you guys at random in the story and confuse anyone.

Kathy