Chapter 4 + UPDATE/NOTE

Love's Way » 7,000 Miles [[HIATUS]]

 

Despite all of the things that have been happening these past few weeks, everything seems to finally have gotten back to normal, except for that black velvet box that sits on my desk in my dorm, taunting me and building onto the guilt I already had. I still haven’t answered Daesung, but I just don’t know if I can marry my best friend. Sure, I’ve come to terms with the fact that I love him, that I’m even in love with him, but it might ruin what we already have. I’m just not sure I’m willing to risk it all. I’ve been talking to Minho again and he said he has a few things he’s been wanting to talk to me about. I am a little worried, but it can’t be too bad, can it? I try my best not to expect him to want to be with me, because I know it’ll never happen.

I don’t even want him anymore.

I still want Minho’s approval of things before I do them though. After all, he’s still my best friend. Or so I like to think. I hope he’s found someone and move on, which he probably did as soon as he got to Seoul. I still miss having him around, but I have Daesung now, he finally opened my eyes to something I have been denying all these years. I’m naïve, I know. I just couldn’t grasp the fact that Daesung, my best friend from the day we were born, would be in love with me.

But now, I believed, was time to finally give Daesung my final answer about his proposal, with or without the approval of Minho. I called him on his cellphone and when he answered he sounded more than tired.  “Daesung? Are you alright?” I asked, sounding a little more panicky than I had intended. He chuckled and I could hear a few people in the background, “Where are you Dae?” “At the gym,” he said, “where you were supposed to meet me.” I smacked myself on the forehead and he obviously heard it because I could hear him stifle his laughter. “I’m so sorry, I forgot! I feel awful!” “It wasn’t Minho this time, right?” he asked, sounding as if he was trying not to care. “Absolutely not. I’m not in love with him anymore, I promise you that.” “Then I think you’d like to know that he approves of you and me. He told me so himself.”

I was beyond surprised. “He what? You two talk?” I asked, almost getting angry with him. Then the sigh came and I knew I shouldn’t have even asked. “Not really, but the night before he left, him and I met up at the park, he had told me he had something really important to tell me. When we met up, he told me that he wanted me to be with you and that you and I are meant for each other. I should have told you sooner.” I rolled my eyes and laughed. “Are you kidding me? I don’t believe you now. Now we’ll just have to wait until he talks to me before I even tell you what my answer might possibly be.”

It was harsh, but necessary, I felt. I my heels and walked away. I could feel my heart tearing in two and I couldn’t believe that my first love had actually given me away. Now I didn’t want to talk to Minho. I didn’t want him to reply. I didn’t want to leave my dorm room, or my bed. I practically ran to my dorm when I knew I was out of Daesung’s sight. I ran with tears stinging my eyes and threatening to spill over. This . It really did.

I stayed in my dorm for a few days, due to the fact that we had four weeks off after some chemistry accident I’m glad I wasn’t around for. Most of the students left the dorms and went to party and stay with older friends or go visit with family. The ones who stayed were few, and they were also usually the ones who were socially awkward or didn’t have anyone to really visit. I stayed, because my family disowned me and I didn’t even know who my best friends really were. I didn’t know who to trust, or if I could even trust myself. I kept asking myself stupid questions and wallowing in my own self-pity. Maybe that’s why the knock at the door a few days later startled me.

It was Daesung and I wasn’t ready to talk to him, so I reached over and grabbed my laptop. When I opened it to my e-mails I saw one from Minho. I took a deep breath and opened it;

“Dear Sahee,

I know you probably don’t want to hear from me right now, but I needed to tell you this due to your condition. Yes, Daesung came to me for help this morning through e-mail. He said you locked yourself in your dorm room after he finally told you the truth. I didn’t let you go because I didn’t love you. I did, and still do. But now, it’s just as a best friend. Daesung has been nothing but in love with you since day one, I believe you two were born for each other. I wanted you to know that it really did hurt to let you go, but I did what I thought was right, even if it meant hurting myself in the process. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely, Minho.”

I had to admit, it made me smile, even though a river of tears streaked my completely make-up-less face. I looked like a train wreck. But Daesung had seen me in worse conditions, so what did it matter if he saw me this way? I got up and set my laptop on the counter before pulling on my school sweater and putting my hair in a high bun to hide my bed head. Finally, I opened the door and saw Daesung’s eyes widen. “Are you alright Sahee?” he asked, genuinely concerned.

“Yeah, I am. Just tired is all,” I said with what I assumed to be a sickly smile. He walked in and I closed the door behind him. My eyes didn’t leave him, not once. He was so perfect; I guess I had never really looked at him like that before. I smiled wide when he looked at me expectantly and took a seat by him. “I’ve finally made my decision.” “And?” he said, looking more worried than I’d ever seen him. I took a deep breath and reached over, lacing my fingers in his, “I’ve decided that I’m completely in love with you, well I didn’t actually have a choice. You made me fall for you, but either way. My answer is simply yes.”

I could hear him let go of the breath he had been holding in for only God knows how long. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me to his chest. I felt good and safe. That was a feeling he had always given me. I was okay with this, everything seemed the way it should and my heart was healed. I pulled away from his tight embrace and kissed him on the cheek. “So when will this be?” I asked. I was hoping he wouldn’t make it too soon.

“Whenever you want, as long as you don’t make it any more than six months from now,” he said with a faint smile. I gave a quick nod and looked up at him, our gazes locked. We didn’t look away and then I saw his hand move up to my chin in my peripheral vision. He lifted my chin and pressed his lips to mine, very, very gently. My heart raced and I swear someone in the other building could hear it. My eyes were still closed when I heard him chuckle. I opened my eyes and looked down with a furious blush flooding my cheeks.

“Daesung?” I said in a quiet voice. “Yes Sahee?” “Everything is going to change, isn’t it?” I asked, knowing the answer to that all too well. He smiled and wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me to him. I laid my head on his shoulder, waiting for him to say something. He took a deep breath and spoke softly, “Yeah, everything is going to change. Because we’re not best friends anymore. We’re engaged.” Even though I had just agreed to it, the thought shot through my mind and I was shocked. I don’t know how long it would take for me to get over this whole thing. I mean, I’m engaged to my best friend for crying out loud.

Now I had another confession.

“Daesung? I have something else I wanted to tell you,” I said with a proud smile. He chuckled a little at my idiotic facial expression, “What is it?” “I’ve pictured this before. Well, not the engagement part, but the wedding. I pictured us getting married once.” That statement seemed to shock him, because he looked at me like I had bumped my head, “Really?” I nodded slowly and rubbed the back of my neck. “Let’s go do something!” I said, standing up quickly and taking his hand to distract him. “You don’t want to change or anything?” he asked, noting that I usually wouldn’t come out of my dorm room if I wasn’t wearing something that I hadn’t slept in.

I looked down at my clothes and ran to my dresser, “I really should.” I pulled out the same sundress I wore on the day that Daesung and I had shared alone, when we got lost. “Is this okay?” I asked, holding it up for him to see. He nodded with a bright smile.


Hey all, I am terribly sorry for this late late chapter. Yes, the chapter is less than my promised amount, so I didn't post a Word count. Sorry! I have been so so so busy and what-have you, but I will be posting more often from now on. I love you all and thank you for sticking with me. I love you all ♥ -Min-ji.