Chapter one

Love's Way » 7,000 Miles [[HIATUS]]

Officially started on June 6th, 2012 at 9:10!

I was born in Seattle Washington and so was my best friend, Kang Daesung. We’ve known eachother since birth, because actually, we were born on the same day, in the same hospital and we were next door neighbors. I love Daesung like my brother and I had never been closer to anyone in my life. But that all changed when Choi Minho moved to Seattle the summer before first grade started. On the first day of school, I saw him sitting alone, easting lunch beneath the willow tree. It was a cute scene actually, I remember it as if it were just yesterday.

Minho sat there and the wind blew through his long hair, maving it flow like the branches of the willow tree. If I try to recreate the picture, I could see the individual blades of grass and I could feel the breeze against my face one more time. It was the first time I actually saw him. When he looked up at me, he laughed a little and I wondered if I had something on my face. My hand shot up to wipe my mouth, which had nothing. I frowned a little and walked over to him, “What’s so funny?” He gave me a childish smile and spoke with a gentle voice, “You looked like you might drool if you stared at me any longer.”

That was the first time I could actually feel the heat flood my face and I could tell my cheeks would be a bright red. I offered him my hand. “I’m Sahee,” I said almost formally. He took my hand and shook it, “I’m Minho. Are you Korean too?” I nodded and he smiled, “Me too. Do you speak Korean?” I nodded again and his smile grew. Then I made a face. “Hanguko jokeum halsu isseoyo,” I said quickly and his eyes grew wide. “That was great!” he yelled. Was it really all that exciting? I blushed again and looked away.

That was the day we met, and I promised myself I’d never forget it.

Throughout the year, I’d drag Daesung to sit with Minho and I, which seemed to always put him in a bad mood. I don’t think he liked Minho. I think it’s because I spent more time with him than I did with Daesung. In fact, he talked to me about it some time ago. I remember him taking my hand and saying, “Sahee, I’m going to marry you when we get older. Minho won’t be able to keep you from me then, okay?” I was a little girl and knowing Dae for so long, I knew it was a joke so I just smiled wide and nodded, “Okay Dae! Let’s get married!”

Daesung still remembers that and he still jokes around with me about that.

I think it was seventh grade that I finally started acting less immature. Daesung noticed it and I know it bothered him, but I didn’t want to be immature for the rest of my school days. I was really serious about my education then, I still am. Even now that we’re in college, Daesung is still immature, but he’s so innocent. He’s never had a girlfriend. Well, I’ve never had a boyfriend, but the other friends I made in Middle School practically robbed me of my innocence. Since I shoved the memories away, I vaguely remember the things they’d show me and the things they told me.

I haven’t seen or talked to any of those people forever. But Daesung and I, we’re going to the same college, and we’re inseperable again. It could be that I’m trying to fill some sort of void that I have in myself, or it could be that I finally realized that I neglected him too much in our childhood. In physical matters, he was extremely mature. He was fit, he worked out. A lot of the times I’d join him in working out. People even call us the fitness couple, even though the whole university knows we are not a couple.

Daesung? My best friend? As my boyfriend? Yeah right. We’re too close for that. I’d never ruin something like that, besides. I don’t like him like that. I’ve never thought of him like that. Some people say that I treat him like my little brother. When he eats messy, I’d wipe his face with a napkin and we’d laugh a little. Or I’d fix his hair when it got messed up. Or sometimes when we’d joke around, I’d ruffle his hair. It was just something that I’ve always done.

Some of my friends try to tell me that Daesung is in love with me, but I know better. I know Dae, and he thinks of me as his sister. Though he’s never said it, I know he does. Sometimes I want to ask Daesung about it, but I usually decide against it, thinking that the subject is completely ridiculous. My life has always been the same since I was a Junior in hich school. Nothing ever changed... anymore. I can remember the day that I became close with Daesung again, but just thinking about it makes me was to just disappear. They say that you should never do anything you might regret. Well, there was something I didn’t do, that I regret. I wish I had spoken first when he said to. But I don’t think it would have changed anything.

I sound like a typical boring teenager that  sits there saying I regret everything and I wish I would have done something different. But that’s not how it is. I just wish I would have grabbed that soft hand I always held. I wish I would have said something, even if he didn’t hear it. At least I’d know that I said it to him. At least I’d know that he was right there, and that he would have heard it if he was listening. I’ve always been bad with words, but I knew what I was going to say. That was the most dreadful day of my life and I’d still change it, even now. 

I have a secret.

I’m in love with Choi Minho.

But he lives 7,000 miles away.

Just like the moment we met, I can remember the scene as if it were just yesterday. It might as well have been because the feeling is fresh in my mind from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep again. Even in my dreams I can feel it.

Minho and I ran to each other on the last day of school of our Junior year. Large smiles were plastered on our faces and we hugged, but his arms were so tight around me that he stole my breath. I had pushed him away and looked at him funny. He smiled sadly and I pinched his cheek, “Cheer up, Prince. We can hang out over the summer!” Then his smile faded completely. I bit my lip and thought, maybe now was a good time. Maybe it would make him smile again. “I have something to tell you,” we both said in unison, making us both chuckle. “You go first,” I told him and he shook his head. “You go first, Sahee.” “I’m sure what you were going to tell me is more exciting. Just go on with it,” I told him with a wide, expecting smile.

“I’m moving back to Korea,” he said with his sad smile. Immediately my smile disappeared and I gulped, hoping it was only a joke. “Really?” I asked. He nodded, blinking slowly as if he was thinking deeply. “Now what were you going to tell me?” he asked, his smile returning. I shook my head a shrugged a little, “Nothing, it doesn’t matter.” He hugged me again and this time when he let go I looked straight into his eyes. “Minho, when are you leaving?” I asked, trying my best not to let my voice crack. “Tomorrow afternoon,” he said, his face filling with an apology. I furrowed my brows and I could feel the tears stinging my eyes, “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” “I’m really sorry Sahee. I thought I could change my parent mind. But when I got home last night, they had everything I owned packed up in boxes.”

I remember the next part so vividly that I can feel my heart break again and again each time I picture it.

Minho stood there and took both of my hands and looked me straight in the eyes. “Sahee. You’re my best friend, don’t you ever forget that. I’ll always be right here,” he said, letting go of one of my hands and pointed at my heart. Then it broke. I nodded and tried my best not to let my emotions take hold of me. I was fighting a war inside myself that only I could feel. My ears rang with the word ‘best friend’ as he walked away and got into his parents car. They had been watching the whole time. I saw Minho put his head down and his mother nodded slightly to her husband and they drove away.

That’s when I buried my face in my hands and wept. I don’t think I’ve ever cried so hard in my life. No, I know I’ve never cried so hard in my life. I felt like he hand ripped my heart out of my chest and tore it in two right in front of my very eyes. But he didn’t have a choice. He couldn’t stay here without his parents. They weren’t very fond of me anyways, so I think they were satisfied to know that I was so upset. According to my parents and Daesung, I became anti-social and I didn’t speak to anyone for over five months. I finally spoke four months into my Senior year when Daesung kept asking why Minho wasn’t here and where he was. I hadn’t told anyone. Neither did Minho. Only my parents knew.

I remember when Daesung grabbed my shoulder gently in the hall one day. “Sahee. Are you sad because Minho is gone?” he asked me. I didn’t turn to look at him. I just clenched my jaw and took a deep breath. “Sahee?” he said. Then he went around me and looked full into my eyes. Then I broke down, crying almost as hard as I did that day. He just stood there and pulled me to his chest. I gripped his white t-shirt and cried for a good fifteen minutes. The front of his shirt was soaked and I apologized a lot even when he said it was no big deal. He ended up walking me home that day. When we reached my doorstep and held me gently by the shoulders and kissed my forehead. “I’m always here Sahee. I always will be, just don’t forget me,” he whispered against my cold forehead.

I didn’t say a word, just gave a quick nod and walked inside.

It was then that I knew, I’d never forget Minho, and that I’d always love him with every last bit of me. I don’t know if I could ever tell him that, and I don’t know if he’d even take me seriously. Maybe I’d just keep our contact cut. I don’t know if I’m ready to talk to him yet. Daesung was still trying his hardest to comfort me. I think I’d wait until he’d make me feel good enough to muster up the courage to tell Minho. I don’t think I’d be able to survive if I didn’t have Daesung, he’s the only person who’s able to make me smile when I’m down. Minho too of course. But we weren’t talking. But I’d smile at the pictures I had of us in my phone, on my computer and the one he took with my family at the amusement park. His handsome smile, charismatic eyes and his perfect hair. Just looking at the picture made me cry. It always did. Always would. But I kept it with me, above my bed, in my dorm that I had all to myself.


Word Count: 2,027

Hello everyone! I hope you like my first update! I worked hard on it, trying to make sure I didn't move anything too fast. I even got the 60-day trial version of Microsoft word just so I could make sure the chapters were long. I really want people to enjoy reading this story as much as I love writing it. So subscribe if you like the story. If you have any constructive criticism or just want to comment pretty things, feel free to. I love comments from my readers, it keeps me going. 

Also, a few notes: 'Hanguko jokeum halsu isseoyo' means 'I speak a little Korean'. Sahee calls Minho the Frog Prince, or just Prince as a nickname. No, they were never together(None of them were together); just super close.