Ch.5

To Whom it May Concern

 

As Jinki predicted, Minho had indeed made the soccer team, bounding up to Jinki excitedly after school to announce rather loudly that he had. Jinki smiled back and patted his back awkwardly, congratulating him. So here Jinki sat watching Minho haul up and down the field, sweat pouring down his face as he scored one goal after another for their team. Jinki broke out into a face splitting smile as Minho kissed his fist once more, index finger pointed to the sky before ing it towards the heavens. It was Minho's first game and he was quickly becoming the MVP of his team, Jinki was glad Minho had invited him to witness the event. Other team members coming passed Minho to pat his back, or , in thanks for scoring another goal. Jinki never got the whole patting thing, couldn't you just say thanks instead?
 
There was only about a minute left in the game, their team slaughtering the opposing one by a good five points. Minho didn't really have to go for that last goal, it wasn't necessary, but anyone who knew Minho would know he had to work hard until the very end. Jinki had played soccer a few more times with him after that first day, he was getting better if he said so himself, but Minho still whooped his everytime, playing hard like Jinki was a worthy opponent. He watched Minho roll down the field, ball playing back and forth between his skilled feet, lining up the shot. He tucked his foot back and kicked hard, sending the ball flying into the net before him. The buzzer sounded not a second later, game ending as the team crowded around Minho. 
 
Jinki waited for Minho outside of the locker room, rocking on his heel awkwardly as players passed him, freshly showered and clothed in something other then a smelly uniform. Minho seemed like the last person to come out; wet hair pulled back into a useless ponytail once more, and grinning widely. He dropped his bag and wrangled Jinki into a death grip of a hug in his excitement, the sweet and earthy scent of Minho filling his nostrils. He pulled back, wide eyed and grinning, hands gripping as Jinki's shoulders. " Did you see my last goal? It was like just in time, right? I swear the buzzer rang not a second after that." 
 
Jinki laughed, already becoming used to Minho's outbursts that usually ment having his spaced invaded. " Yeah, and I saw the other six before that one. You practically won the whole game by yourself."
 
" Yeah, coach told me not to be such a ball hog...But I can't help it man, I get so caught up in the moment, ya know?"  He released Jinki and replaced the bag over his shoulder. " So what do you want to do know?"
 
" I dunno..." Onew kicked at the ground, trying to think of something, or at least pretending like he was. In reality, he was good with whatever Minho wanted to do.
 
Minho swung an arm over his shoulder, wheeling him around. The warm aroma of Minho's shampoo wafted passed in the motion; Jinki remembered to push it away, lining it up with Minho's hands, his own misplaced anger, and few other assorted things about Minho he would 'remember to forget'. The space in his brain becoming more and more cramped as days spent hanging out with Minho passed by. Minho spoke as they hit the sidewalk, " Well, how about we head to my house? I don't wanna have to carry this heavy thing around all night." 
 
' All night?' Jinki wanted to asked. Were they really going to be spending that much time together? Responsible Jinki came out, telling him he did have to go home eventually. 
 
" That cool with you?" 
 
Jinki shrugged, " Fine by me, but what about your parents? It's kind of late to bring someone over without asking..."
 
" Oh, it's their 'date night', that involves getting a hotel room, so...no worries." Minho shook the thought away, cringing a bit.
 
Jinki thought about it, " Oh...Oh! Gross...I didn't need to know that. I mean no offense to your parents, but..."
 
" No it's cool, I try not to think about it...My brother might be home though, assuming he's not off visiting his girlfriend." 
 
" You have a brother?" Being an only child, Jinki hadn't even thought to ask that.
 
" Yep, I've got two hyungs, Minsuk and you." He laughed. 
_____________
Minho's house was very lived in, not dirty mind you, but you could tell they was getting good use out it. Jinki was almost jealous his house couldn't be this way, his mother would never allow even one photo to be out of place. Minho tossed his bag by the door as they slipped off their shoes, " Minsuk?" He paused. " Minsuk?"
 
He turned to Onew, " Guess he's not home..." 
 
Onew shrugged, not sure what to say back. 
 
" C'mon, I'll show you around." 
 
Minho took him all over, pointing out random things or funny events that took place to explain the endearing scuffs and cracks that randomly littered the house. You wouldn't even see them unless you were really looking hard. They passed over the bathroom, Minho flicked on the light to show him it really was what he'd said. Jinki commited the door to memory as he as bound to have to use it at some point, being human and all. As they passed by Minsuk's room, Minho warned he would've showed it to Jinki, but the stench that omitted from the space was enough to kill a skunk. Jinki laughed aloud as he thought of the mysterious Minsuk that Minho was so fond of slapping the boy upside the head like he apparently liked to do rather frequently. 
 
Minho stopped in front of a door with a cute little plaque hanging from it with Minho's name written in the center, it was surrounded by miniature versions of just about every sports ball you could think of. He pointed down the end of the hall saying the door down there was his parent's room. Jinki pointed to the plaque, " Cute sign."
 
Minho flushed slightly out on embarrassment, " My mom won't let me take it down." 
 
" Suuure..." 
 
Minho turned as they stepped into the already lit space, his eyes wide(er) in defense, " It's true!" 
 
Jinki held out his hands, " I believe you, no need to get testy..." 
 
Minho scoffed and rolled his eyes, arms stretched out he spoke. " And this, obviously, is my room."
 
Jinki eyed over the space, it was very much a guy's room. Floor littered with clothes that Minho kicked off to the sides, clearing a path to the bed. Posters on the walls featured cars, sports icons and y women wearing things that shouldn't be considered clothing. Jinki stared at one of the women, crouched low with her behind up in the air, and a flush spread over his face. 
 
Minho caught the stare and laughed, " You should see Minsuk's walls, I'm suprised my mom hasn't ripped them down long ago. " He sat down on the bed, trying to conceal a raggedy teddy bear by stuffing it under his pillows. He patted the spot next to him, beckoning Jinki to sit. Jinki plopped down next to Minho on the double bed, he leaned back and slid a hand behind the boy to grasp hold of a sad looking foot poked out from under the pillows crushing it. Minho caught on too late as Jinki snatched the bear out and sat it in his lap, he eyed the scruffy little thing. It was missing an eye and had far less stuffing then it probably started with, looking rather deflated in Jinki's hands. He held it up, rocking it to and frow at Minho, " I guess your mom won't let you throw this away either?" 
 
Minho snatched the bear back, hugging it into his chest. " Yeah...Something like that." 
 
Jinki patted it's little head, " What's his name? Or her..."
 
" Toki." Minho looked away, feeling extremely ridiculous at this point.
 
" But it's a bear..." 
 
" Look, I was four....I can't explain it. Do you want something to eat? I'm starving..." Jinki took notice to how gently Minho replaced 'Toki' back onto the center of his bed before standing.
 
" Yeah, I could go for food. Whatever is good with me..."
 
" Alright, I'll be right back." 
 
Onew pulled out his cell while Minho was away, he should at least call his parents. Three rings later his mother answers.
 
" Hello?"
 
" Hey mom, I just wanted to let you know I'm at Minho's." 
 
" Oh ok, how'd the game go? I'm still upset you wouldn't let me go..." She feigned a hurt tone.
 
He ignored it, " Good, we won by a lot." 
 
Minho came back in and sat down, large bag of chips in hand. 
 
" Well are you going to be staying there, or coming home? It would be fine with me as long as his parents were ok with it." Jinki shook his head, she was forever trying to force random freedom's on him most teenagers had to beg for.
 
" I don't know mom, I didn't really plan on spending the night..." 
 
Minho piped up, " It's cool with me if you wanna stay over." 
 
Jinki paused for a few moments longer, " It's fine with Minho's parents, so I guess I'm staying." 
 
" Alright sweetie, I'll see you tomorrow. I love you, have a good night." 
 
" Love you too, mom." He hung up, and placed the phone down on the bed.
 
Minho offered him the bag and he dug around, pulling out a few of the salty treats and popped them into his mouth. " So it's cool with my parents, huh?"
 
" I don't think she would be ok with them not being here at all...So I figured it's best she just doesn't know." Jinki said, frankly.
 
" So, what do you want to do? The pizza's in the oven, but we have a while until it's done." 
 
Jinki shrugged, " Whatever you wanna do is fine with me..."
 
Minho sighed, " You're the guest, so you decide."
 
" Alright...We could watch a movie, I guess?" Jinki glanced over at the moderately sized television propped up on a dresser. 
 
" Sure, go pick out one." Minho crinkled the bag of chips closed and placed it on his end table. He slid back to lean against the headboard of the bed as Jinki ambled over to the DVD rack.
 
Minho had just about every genre covered, aside from romantic sappy films( but even than he had a couple of those too); Jinki slid each one out examining the cover before replacing it back into the slot. He eventually opted for a foreign horror film, blonde girl's face on the front contorted into what look a like a blood curtling scream, simply because his legs had started to go numb from crouching for so long. He stood and popped the bloody disk into the player; Jinki stood off to the side of the bed, not sure where to sit considering Minho had stretched himself down the length of it. " Erm.." 
 
" Oh, right." Minho slid over, allowing Jinki the outer portion of the bed to lay out on. Jinki sat, propping himself up against the headboard and watched the previews roll for another film.       " We can skip these, ya know? Hand me the remote..." Jinki looked around them for the black rectangle, " It's on the end table." Jinki let out a small 'oh' and grabbed up the device, passing it over to Minho, their hands touching slightly and Jinki ripped his hand back. Minho gave him a look, " You alright?" 
 
Jinki nodded, " Just got shocked is all..." Again, it was a small lie really...
 
" Really? I didn't even feel anything..." 
 
Jinki shrugged, and rubbed at the space where their hands grazed together. He didn't understand why he couldn't go one day with Minho without feeling something out of place or having to shove something away. It was rather frustrating really, what was it about Minho that turned him into this? Why was it so hard sometimes to even hold a conversation with someone he now considered well on their way to being his friend? A scream from the television ripped him out of his own head, causing him to jump.
 
" Scared already?" Minho laughed, brows raised as he looked over at Jinki. 
 
" N-No...I just wasn't paying attention is all." 
 
Minho hummed, " Sure, well don't worry I'll be here to protect you from the movie..." He patted Jinki's knee in a friendly way before settling in to watch the movie.
 
Jinki wasn't stupid enough to assume there wouldn't be a scene in the film, but he didn't think it would be within the first five minutes of it. Or again fifteen minutes later, he was being to wonder whether he'd picked a softcore film instead of an actual movie. He shifted, uncomfortably next to Minho as the girl let out another shrill, fake moan from the loud speakers. He could swear he heard a faint beeping somewhere in the distance, " I think the pizza might be done..."
 
Minho sat up, " Crap, I completely forgot about it." Before Jinki could shift off the bed to let Minho out he was on top of him, straddling Jinki's waist as his made his way off the bed. Jinki let loose a soft gasp and attempted to push himself further into the bed below him. Minho didn't notice the gesture as he slid off Jinki and hurried out of the room.  
 
Jinki sat up panting, his nerves set off completely by the simple action. Why had Minho done that, instead of just asking him to move? More so, why did it bother Jinki so much? Could you even call this feeling being bothered? But what would you call it if not that? Did he like it? Did he really like having Minho hovering over him, even if only for a brief moment? " No...I..no..I'm not like that..I-I.." Jinki clenched at the bedsheet, eyes searching for some sort of answer in the space. The door opened to his left, Minho juggling two plates of pizza, beers stacked in the other and tucked under his chin. Jinki's heart pounded hard in his chest, making him light headed and dizzy; Minho stared back with concern, dropping the items down on the bed at Jinki's feet. 
 
Minho lowered himself next to Jinki, " You ok, Hyung?"  He touched Jinki's shoulder, snapping him out of his own head and pushing the ever surfacing realization back down a few levels. 
 
Jinki nodded, heart slowly returning back to a normal rate. " Yeah, random stomach pain...I'm fine now, I swear." 
 
" Alright, you looked really scared there for a second. We can stop watching the movie if you want, you know." He reached back, handing Jinki a beer and plate piled high with half of the pizza. He settled once more on the inner portion of the bed, dragging his own plate and drink across the sheets with him.
 
" No, it's ok. The movie isn't even all that scary..." He held up the beer, " Are you sure we can drink this? I don't want you to get in trouble." 
 
Minho waved him off, cracking open his own beer, " It's cool, they've been sitting in the fridge since a barbecue we had over the summer." He took a swig, not even flinching at the taste of the bitter beverage.
 
Jinki popped the tab on his own, sniffing at the foreign liquid, before he took a small sip...It was by far the most horrible thing Jinki had ever tasted in his life, the retching sound he made after forcing down the drink set Minho off into a fit of laughter. " That is so gross! Can I just have milk or something?" He set the beer down on the end table, hoping to never have to pick it up again.
 
" Oh, come on...It's not that bad. At least the finish it." Minho countered, mouth full of pizza. 
 
Jinki frowned, taking a bite of his own slice. " It tastes like sawdust and air..."
 
Minho laughed, shaking his head as he pushed play on the remote. The pair settled in for the rest on the night. Jinki did finally finish the beer after some less then gentle coaxing on Minho's part.