Defeated

First, Admit Defeat
“We were the ones who didn't belong.”

Those words rung heavily in Kyuhyun's mind. He lifted a hand to his temple and rubbed it with his fingers. What is Sungmin talking about?

“He's right,” Sungmin's mom joined, appearing from behind Kyuhyun. “Everything is my fault, it had nothing to do with Sungmin or your father.” She crossed her arms limply over her chest and lowered her face in guilt, she didn't want to face this situation in the least.

“No, it was p-partially m-my fault as w-well,” Kyuhyun's father sighed. He reached out to take a folder off of his desk, his hands shaking immensely.

“What's wrong with you?” Kyuhyun finally asked, trying to make sense of at least one thing that was happening around him. His father shook his head and excused the question but Kyuhyun insisted for him to explain.

“Dad isn't feeling well, Kyuhyun,” Sungmin cried. Sungmin walked over to Kyuhyun and whispered in his ear, “he won't live for much longer. He's getting old and weak, that's why I wanted you to come visit as quickly as possible.”

“It was my fault, I was too greedy and too selfish,” Sungmin's mother finally continued after stabilizing her emotions. “I framed your mother. I told your father that she was having an affair with her best friend, the man I hear she's still very close to till today, and that you were illegitimate. I tried to protect my son and I but I was wrong in destroying your family that way.”

Kyuhyun could feel the anger burning in him as he slowly took in the words she spoke to him.

“Your mother was officially married to your father, I was only a mistress. I attempted to protect my place by pushing your mother out of the picture, I was afraid of your father getting tired of me and looking down on my son, even though he's the older of you two. He wasn't official.” Tears were now sliding down her cheeks and Sungmin handed her some tissues, holding on tightly to her hands.

“I didn't think about it that way at all,” Kyuhyun's father added, he was also tearing up himself.

“I was pregnant with Sungmin during my affair with your father, but before that time period I was poor and worked in the streets. I was , that's how I was impregnated,” she confessed, her voice shaking with terror and anger. “I couldn't defend myself and your father was the only man I could trust, I had to keep him.”

Kyuhyun kept his gaze glued on the floor, his fist tightened as he heard of all the misfortune this woman had experienced. She gained her fortune back in exchange for his mothers dignity, name and happiness, but he couldn't bring himself to hate her. It was a natural instinct for humans to protect themselves, there was nothing she could have done. At least that's what he wanted to think.

“I'm sorry, Kyuhyun,” she cried.

“I'm not the one you should be apologizing to, Mrs. Lee,” Kyuhyun finally forced out as he turned to face her. “I understand that you have you reasons and you are now going through the guilt for the consequences of your actions. Indeed, I was affected by your faulty decision but the one most affected was my mother.”

“I will, I will definitely apologize to her. I just don't want you to be angry at your father anymore,” she assured.

“I was never mad at Mr. Lee, Mrs. Lee,” Kyuhyun clarified, “I never had the right to be mad at him. We were in the wrong, that's what my mother always told me. She never explained to me what really happened, she only told me we were in the wrong. She's a scary lady; she was back then and she still is today. She's strong, she's understanding and she deals with scary business but she never backs down no matter what. That's what I loved about my mother. We both stood strong and she provided me with everything I needed,” he continued as tears welled up in his eyes, “perhaps her marriage with Mr. Lee was never meant to be. I now know that this man is biologically my father, but in here,” he choked, resting his left hand over his chest, “my mother was also my father.”

“I know I was never there, Kyuhyun, I'm sorry,” his father cried.

“Kyuhyun-” Sungmin tried to convince Kyuhyun into speaking kinder words but Kyuhyun would have no word of it.

“Min, it's ok. I don't blame any of you for the misfortune my mother and I have gone through because we didn't have any misfortune. We had each other and that was enough. I would rather we kept things the way they've been the past years, it's best that way. There's no use trying to bring my mother and I back into this family. We left long ago and were never meant to come back,” Kyuhyun smiled. “I'm not being satirical or sarcastic, I mean it.”

His father nodded with understanding, “I know what you mean, Kyuhyun, but I really want you back in my life. You're my son after all.”

Kyuhyun grinned, “that's not the only way to have me around.” Kyuhyun made his way over to Sungmin and pulled him in for a hug, “I could be the son-in-law.” Sungmin shoved Kyuhyun away and stood in shock, his father didn't know anything about their relationship.

“Haha, that's true,” his father laughed. Sungmin stared at his father in mis-belief, were his ears alright? “I guess that would make things a lot simpler,” his father added, “you two aren't blood related at all, after all.”

“H-how did you know, dad?” Sungmin asked.

Kyuhyun held him by the shoulders, “you seriously never noticed?” Sungmin shook his head. “We've been being followed for a long time now, how did you not notice?” Sungmin's eyes widened in realization, “oh my, we've got a slow one here.” Sungmin punched Kyuhyun on the chest. “Ouch, I was just joking, Min.”

“But to think both my sons are homoual, how will we continue the family line?” His dad sighed, rubbing his neck with his shaking arm.

"Sorry, dad," Kyuhyun shrugged. His dad almost jumped in joy at Kyuhyun's reference to him as dad.

“Wait a minute!” Sungmin finally realized, “did you just propose to me?” Kyuhyun froze in place and shiveled his bangs, trying to ignore Sungmin's question. Sungmin grabbed his hands and pulled Kyuhyun to face him, “did you?”

“N-no,” Kyuhyun stuttered.

“You did!” Sungmin laughed excitedly.

“I did not!” Kyuhyun countered.

“Don't d-” Sungmin tried to argue but was caught in a quick smack on the lips.

“I'm not denying anything, Min. Fine, I just proposed to you.” Kyuhyun leaned in close to Sungmin's ear, holding him by each side of the waist, “I love you.” A smile spread across Sungmin's lips and tickled his pinked cheeks.

“I told you,” Sungmin grinned, “I told you that one day you would come to me.”

------

“Congratulations!”

Sungmin and Kyuhyun were receiving congratulations from all their friends and family around them. It was a special day. No one called it a wedding but it was the official day for their relationship to be recognized by everyone around them.

Yesung, Kibum, Donghae and Eunhyuk made sure to be the firsts to appear at their ceremony. Everyone dressed casually, scarred by the experience from meeting Kyuhyun's mother a long time back. “You two are finally getting together,” Yesung smiled.

“All's well ends well,” Donghae laughed.

“I'm really glad you two worked things out, I was starting to get annoyed by your slow progress!” Eunhyuk scolded.

Kibum stayed quiet until Kyuhyun turned to him, “I'm glad you let us in on your life in the end, Kyu, and I'm glad you took our advice. It means a lot to us.” The rest of the boys nodded in agreement.

“No, I should be the one to be glad. You guys will always be my brothers,” Kyuhyun said, exchanging high fives with each other them. “Yesung,” Kyuhyun whispered, motioning for him to come closer, “I have something to tell you.”

“What?” Yesung asked, leaning in closer.

“Have you read the newspaper lately?” Kyuhyun asked, rummaging through his pocket. Yesung shook his head. “Well, check this out.” After handing Yesung the sheet of newspaper, he joined the rest of the boys at the circle in the middle of the ball-room.

Kim Ryeowook - Talk of the Year. Kim Ryeowook, twenty four years old, has become the most popular topic in the music industry. The music he composes accents his beautiful and clear voice, leading him to the highest position a new comer could hope for in the entertainment industry. He will be returning to Korea from Europe sometime this month, supposedly to seek a past that once gave him the most beautiful promise he had ever received. We hope he has a safe travel.

Yesung couldn't form any words in his mind. It's been so long since he last heard any news about Ryeowook, hearing that he was finally returning was too much for him to handle. Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to find Sungmin smiling at him, “long awaited return.”

Yesung smiled, “yeah, guess so.”

“Well, you don't have to wait any longer.” Yesung felt another tap on his shoulder and realized what Sungmin meant. He was too afraid to turn around. He could feel his nose going sour and tears building up in his eyes. Was this real?

Ryeowook made his way around Yesung since Yesung refused to move. “Yesung,” he whispered, staring straight up into Yesung's dark single lidded eyes, “I'm back.” Yesung pulled Ryeowook in for a strong hug, tightly wrapping his arms around him. Ryeowook lifted his arms to Yesung's back and pressed his lips onto Yesung's chest, “I'm sorry.”

Yesung shook his head, “no, you didn't do anything wrong.”

Sungmin, Kyuhyun, Kibum, Donghae and Eunhyuk watched them happily. It's been so long since they've seen Yesung smile so prosperously, it's been so long since they last saw their good friend. Things were finally settling, they could finally return to their normal life routines.

Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around Sungmin's neck. Sungmin scooted closer and pecked Kyuhyun on the cheek. The seven of them were the focus on the room. All of the friends and family stopped and watched them in awe. Their friendship, their love, their brotherhood, it was so much more than anything else they had ever seen.

“I love you,” Kyuhyun whispered into Sungmin's ear.

“I love you too,” Sungmin replied before engaging Kyuhyun in a sweet kiss.

This marked the most important moment of their lives. A moment they would remember forever. In the battlefield of love, the opposing sides were never the two lovers themselves; it was always the lovers fighting against the monster called love and, clearly, in these romantic relationships, love had defeated them all. So who's to say “First, Admit Defeat” if they would all be the losers? It didn't matter anymore, they had each other.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Ah, I will miss writing this story so much! >.<

Maybe the ending was a little cheesy? But I liked it that way. I know bringing back Ryeowook so suddenly was a little weird - maybe I'll write a side story / extra later on to go more in depth? Maybe. Thank you so much for sticking with my story till the end, I hope I didn't disappoint you! Final goodbye from First, Admit Defeat (for now ;])-rssj1314